Arc II - Fill the Land With Smoke

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Re: Arc II - Fill the Land With Smoke

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:16 am

To Auspa, "You don't have ta do anythin', we're getting everything taken care of. As I said, we'll be off tomorrow morning once the technical stuff gets finished. Once we get there, we can figure out how best ta utilize our combined pool o' skills."

To Waz'aru. "I don't need help, and I don't know where's a good place to go, I've only been here a day or so. I thought you Jedi all knew about this place? Isn't this like your temple or what not?"

Zyla decides to take some time to look up what sort of planet Galidraan is. The scores of Jedi Librarians on hand were happy to help her. (1) She learns that the planet is a temperate to cold one, with much of the land being forests. (2) Temperatures average in the 60s in the summer for most of the northern and southern hemispheres. Several island chains within the tropics, and the equatorial belt are that warm year round, with highs getting into the 70s and sometimes 80s. (3) Finally, she learns that the Sith that were relocated there settled in fairly well with the other colonists, without problems for the last 700 years.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 am

A library? Trixie thinks to herself. She has heard things about Ossus and now that she's here with some time to spare, she'll explorer.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:00 am

Ossus, Trixie can recall, was founded by Odan-Urr as a library and repository of knowledge after the Great Hyperspace War.

There are hundreds of Jedi of all kinds of species, many Trixie has never seen before, darting in and out long corridors filled with books, computer systems, climate controlled areas, and other areas she doesn't have access to. Trixie catches a glimpse of Odan-Urr himself meditating in some private chamber, as a librarian briefly opened the door while Trixie was walking by.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Arriving back on Ossus, Arca tracks down Waz'aru. "Let us find one of the senior Masters in the library and inform them of what we have discovered. Perhaps they will have some guidance for us."

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Waz'aru looks up as Arca approaches, but continues with the haunting melody he'd been playing for the last few minutes until Arca gets within a couple of feet of him. Hearing Arca's statement, Waz'aru gets up from his spot leaning back against the large shade tree he had found near their landing site. "An idea I can accept my friend. I've been hesitant to ask anyone about it. Between you and I, Master Curvain's actions have me second guessing who we can trust with the information we have discovered so far." He says hanging the Fizz back over his shoulder as they start towards the Library.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 am

Inside the Library, you're able to, after asking some hopefully not too telling questions, find a Librarian with extensive knowledge of Sith language, history, and culture. Master Servoyath, an elderly Caamasi.

"Yes, young padawans, how can I assist you?"

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 am

Arca, without initially explaining where the information was acquired or why, shows the librarian the parchment and their best-effort translation of it. He quietly waits to see what the librarian's reaction is and what questions the master may ask.

Spoiler:
Doctor Who wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:18 pm
Parchment sheet (annotations in red, attempts to fill in missing or garbled text in parentheses) wrote:
(Through w)inding trails and cold wastes, Only planet this fits is Galidraan
If knowledge to be gained you seek Who's not seeking knowledge
Channel your e(motions) to awaken ( n/t1 ) An interesting tactic, presumably to hide it from Jedi
And with destiny in hand, learn the truth.
Be warned, it ( n/t 2 ) it would be nice is the warning was visible
And might con(sume) your very being
But to master ( n/t1 ) is to master
Yourself, the only being worth m(astering) That's a very Jedi thing to say?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Servoyath spends several minutes looking over it, his brow furrowing as he does. "Intriguing. This parchement is clearly quite old, but several of these words appear to be proper nouns that I'm not familiar with. Where did you say you found it?" He doesn't look up from as he asks, but turns to a nearby shelf and pulls a very ancient looking book off of it, flipping it open.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Arca hesitates in replying, glancing at Waz'aru to see if his fellow 'researcher' has an opinion or inclination to take the lead.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 am

"Actually we did not say where found it Master," Waz'aru replies before Arca. "For now let's say it was given to us by a friend. Now I think our missing words, at least the ones notated as n/t1, is 'the Dark Side'. My friend here disagrees and has his own thoughts on the meaning."

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 am

Servoyath shakes his head. "No, no, no, "Dark Side" was not a term the Sith would have used, they didn't really make a distinction, or at least the same one we would. And if it is a translation of a such a simple Jedi concept, it wouldn't be this hard to decipher. This seems to be a poor translation into Sith of some other word, with bastardized language that looks like 'ever-eating lord' 'forever-devouring king,' it could be any number of things, given the atrocious grammar. For n/t2, I believe I can help. The pronunciation is 'hyalwin darridân,' which seems to be a very poor attempt at saying 'it will crave to devour.' But bad grammar, as the last word is conjugated wrong as is the verb. 'darridân' isn't even originally Sith, it is a loanword from some of the exiles there 2000 years ago that never quite found its way into common usage. This, though, is still early linguistically in its heritage, probably 500 years or so before the Great Hyperspace War."

He points out the Sith words in the book as he talks about potential translations.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:52 pm

"I don't remember any one this from any of the classes on Coruscant." Waz'aru says trying to follow along with what the Master was telling them. "So let me get this straight, the Sith don't recognize a seperation of the Light and Dark Sides of the Force as we do? Another question what was the Great Hyperspace War? Unless it doesn't pertain to this, but I definetly don't like the sound of a forever-devouring king."

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 am

Servoyath gives you a brief rundown of the Great Hyperspace War, you all remember the major points from your Jedi training, as it's still a major event in galactic history even 750 years later.

"For the Sith, as a culture, the Dark Side and Light Side tended to be non-differentiated. Their might-makes-right, survival of the fittest society fostered the wild darkness that can be found in some parts of nature, the predatory instinct that feeds on others. The Force was a tool for them, in most cases, and mingled with their quasi-ancestor worshiping religion. There was not the awakening with in them that had led to Jedi elsewhere in the galaxy."

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:10 am

"Any other questions?"

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:16 am

Arca replies, "No, Master Servoyath. Thank you for your time."

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 am

Waz'aru had waited a few beats to see if Arca had any other questions, before asking his final question. "I guess mine is more of a request than a question Master. Is there at least a basic translation guide between Sith and Basic that we can borrow and take with us so we can study the language and become more knowledgeable?"

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:33 am

"I can provide that, and I can also provide you will a mobile translator unit. Wait, you are the Jedi heading to Galidraan, correct?"

He suddenly looks intently at you, as if searching deep into you for the answer, although he is still clearly waiting for you to respond.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 am

Arca replies before Waz'aru, "Yes, we are. Is there something else that we should know?"

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm

He shakes his head. "I didn't want to just give the equipment to some padawan with a desire to learn things they shouldn't. Speaking of which, your 'friend' seems like just such a person..."

He trails off, and turns and shuffles away.

He returns with a small holodevice and a large, bulky helmet with a flat visor.

"this little device is a Sith language compendium. This big device will translate the text of whatever is view of the front, up to about 100 meters. It can also do audio translations. It has Sith as a language option, in addition to the normal options. Don't let that file get copied, we don't need sycophantic, power hungry idiots trying to restart the Sith Empire. Some of the smaller settlements still speak Sith, although 750 years of isolation and drift will still probably confuse the helmet a little bit."

He nods, pleased with himself, and goes back to what he was doing before.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm

After being dismissed, Arca rejoins the rest of the Padawans heading to Galidraan.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 am

Once everyone is done, Orcam starts to wave people over to head up to the Republic ship in orbit. They won't be leaving for a few more hours, but you'll get a chance to get settled into your rooms. If anyone lets it known that they have any kind of piloting training, they're offered the chance to help out with preparations for the route-charting jumps if they wish to.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 am

"If you require any assistance with the route-charting jumps, I may be of use. I've been programmed to handle a multifarious amount of spacecraft and relevant scenarios associated" ST-3R proudly shares with Orcam.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:04 pm

The giant Republic Command Ship towers over the other ships orbiting the planet of Ossus.

The group of soldiers that will be assisting you have finished loading the hyperspace beacons into the torpedo bays and help you all get set up in some chambers.

After several more hours, making sure the new nav-beacons are fully primed, reactors on and running, the ship, Fist against Alsakan, jumps to hyperspeed.

[You are free to walk around the ship. ST-3R, you can post in the OOC thread how you'd like to help, i.e. what kind of roll you want to help with]

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:49 am

Waz'aru wanders around the ship familiarizing himself with it's corridors and various compartments as the crew prepares for the jump to hyperspace. He finally stops in one of the galleys and asks one of the stewards where they would recommend as a place to go to watch hyperspace from.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 am

[roll a perception against average with two setbacks while you are exploring]

Return to “The Story”