General Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS * Use DS * Update
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Character Generation Guidelines

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 am

Why don't you each pick an NPC? Power droid makes sense to me. It might be a bit more sophisticated than that; maybe a power droid/astromech combo. But if you each choose some NPC (role at least) I can determine the rest.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Obligation

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 am

Looking through some pc sheets, I think this is the current obligation of the 5 PC's. All except Targus took the +10 obligation for XP. Targus took the credits. Party of 5 starts with 10 Obligation.
Okay. Looks like Obligation is straight, then.

Obligation (broken down Ob., then the totals to the right.)

Debt 10 15- Voron

High Risk 10 15- Abskyoor

Debt 10 15- Targus (for credits)

Betrayal 5 15- Jessa Biela
Addiction 5
Debt 5

Disgraced 10 15- Guy

TOTAL 75
Last edited by DeepSpacer on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 am

I think bob is having us start with 5 each instead of 10
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:48 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 am
I think bob is having us start with 5 each instead of 10
Some kind of "band" obligation (5) that everyone gets? I saw a reference to that, but nothing hard and defined. @SavageBob That'd put us all at 75 total. Still, it's an area needing fleshing out and broken down for each character.

{{EDIT}} I see under Studio. Ob. 5 - Betrayal.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, the Obligation 5 for the starting business is "group Obligation" and doesn't count as 5 per PC but rather a simple +5 on top of the individual Obligations. Looks like everyone took +10 Obligation for either credits or cash, which adds up to 105 total for the party with the group Obligation added in. Technically, this means no one is supposed to be able to spend XP, but I think I'll waive this requirement (how frustrating to not get to improve your characters!) so long as the PCs are actively trying to reduce their Obligations when appropriate.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:02 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:52 pm
Yes, the Obligation 5 for the starting business is "group Obligation" and doesn't count as 5 per PC but rather a simple +5 on top of the individual Obligations. Looks like everyone took +10 Obligation for either credits or cash, which adds up to 105 total for the party with the group Obligation added in. Technically, this means no one is supposed to be able to spend XP, but I think I'll waive this requirement (how frustrating to not get to improve your characters!) so long as the PCs are actively trying to reduce their Obligations when appropriate.
oh, ok that is interesting, so then what is the ten group obligation each for, like what are we saying it is going to be for in case it is triggered?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:02 pm
oh, ok that is interesting, so then what is the ten group obligation each for, like what are we saying it is going to be for in case it is triggered?
Oh, I see the confusion. So, the way I understand it, standard EOTE rules are that a 5-person group starts with 50 Obligation (10 per PC). They can choose to increase this by an additional 10 Obligation each for more credits or XP. You each chose to do that, meaning you should all have 20 Obligation (whether it's from one source or multiple sources). Looks like Guy needs to bump his up to 20.

Then, per Far Horizons, your group as a whole has +5 Obligation for the business. That brings the total to 105 for the party. Does that make sense?

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh ok, so can the extra ten be whatever I want? Is there an obligation that could represent the potential PTSD that we were talking about earlier or the survivor's guilt that I built into his flaw?

also, I like the suggestion you made for DS's character about having the betrayal be higher to represent the close relationship had with Zan.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Oh ok, so can the extra ten be whatever I want? Is there an obligation that could represent the potential PTSD that we were talking about earlier or the survivor's guilt that I built into his flaw?

also, I like the suggestion you made for DS's character about having the betrayal be higher to represent the close relationship had with Zan.
Yeah, it could just be 10 more of your existing Obligation, or something different. Some possibilities might be Obsession, Responsibility (maybe you blame yourself for the breakup—or still feel shame for your lost crew), Unfinished Business (maybe you and Zan were writing a jatz opera together and you want to finish it and perhaps even to convince him to give you some missing parts of it), or Collateral Accountability (from the Hired Gun book—you are being tracked to pay for the ship you lost in the Ascendency). We could also make PTSD its own custom Obligation if that works for you.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

@SavageBob all good suggestions.

I feel like the way I’ve been describing it the disgraced background is already incorporating a bit of that collateral accountability with the potential of previously mollified or otherwise constrained relatives of the dead being able to act now that he is disgraced, and that said I wouldn’t want to put it more than 10.

Using 5 towards a modified unfinished business so that it can incorporate his ongoing desire for friendship with Zan with the desire to complete previously unfinished collaborations is a great idea.

For the survivors guilt the obligation duty might be good, with him having a duty to play music in order to make it up to his fallen soildoers, with potential for some tweaks to incorporate the chance for ptsd if it’s rolled?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Sure, all those ideas work for me.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:52 pm
So we ARE starting with 10 Obligation (Per RAW) then +10 per PC for taking the XP and Credits, right? That's what I originally had. If that will be the case, then there is lots of Obligation to account for.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm
So we ARE starting with 10 Obligation (Per RAW) then +10 per PC for taking the XP and Credits, right? That's what I originally had. If that will be the case, then there is lots of Obligation to account for.
Yeah, that's the way it seems to work with Edge. I kind of wish FFG had made it so you could just choose a benefit of extra XP or credits, but c'est la vie. There's 105 Obligation to account for, which means it will definitely trigger each session until it starts to be bought down through your exploits. Maybe the group obligation will trigger if any round number divisible by 20 is rolled (20, 40, 60, 80, or 100) alongside whichever Obligation that would normally be.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am

Hmm that’s so interesting, I must have read it wrong when I was running games cause I thought that like the suggested obligation for the group meant that it was a single obligation that the whole group shared. As in, if it suggests 10 for a 5 person group then that means that there is some 10 point obligation tying the whole group together.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am
Hmm that’s so interesting, I must have read it wrong when I was running games cause I thought that like the suggested obligation for the group meant that it was a single obligation that the whole group shared. As in, if it suggests 10 for a 5 person group then that means that there is some 10 point obligation tying the whole group together.
Hold up. I've been overlooking a key provision of the business/homestead rules: "Basic Business Cost: 50,000 credits and 5 Obligation. The costs are waived if selected in lieu of a ship at party creation."

This is referring to "Group Obligation," which is shared among the members of the group, but there's no actual Group Obligation unless you all decide to take some on to improve the business. Sorry for the confusion. I think it would make sense for everyone to then stick with 20 Obligation, with at least 5 of it directly tying into the events that broke up the band (whether specifically to Redbeam, or to creditors, or to lawyers, or what have you).

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 am

Just a head's up: Vergence sent me a PM and said he has to drop out of this game due to overcommitment and overall being too busy. I'm sorry to see him go! I've sent a couple of PMs to see if folks might be interested in joining, and if not, I'll advertise over at the official forums. That said, I won't hold the game up over it.

I think we're waiting on final Obligations after I realized my mistake about the Group Obligation. Two of you are mostly ready to go -- @Boutrose Saba-Norr and @DeepSpacer, while @ThreeBFour and @LaGouache are still ironing out final details on backstory and Obligation to tie their characters into the band and the breakup.

We're getting close to starting, and I'm excited to get the game rocking and rolling.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am

I'll get Targus finished as soon as I can stay awake long enough to think him through properly.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am
I'll get Targus finished as soon as I can stay awake long enough to think him through properly.
Sure, take your time. I wasn't meaning to rush anyone, just to make sure folks knew we were still making progress. :)

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 am

Making sure I pay full attention to games as I've already mixed up characters this week, being so tired.

Did we decide on a band name yet? If not I have a suggestion. Grim Grinning Ghosts
Whomsoever can tell the reference is allowed to play Targus's Valachord...lol

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 am
Did we decide on a band name yet? If not I have a suggestion. Grim Grinning Ghosts
Pac-Man?

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 am
ThreeBFour wrote:
Pac-Man?
No. It does have to do with a place everyone goes after winning.....

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 am

Hi, new to the boards and Vengence posted in my introduction thread to come take a look. Do you still have an opening?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
I think something like Grim Grinning Ghosts or The Grimlots has a darker tone to it, which would be better if we had the more Motley Crue thing going. However, we're far more upbeat, classical, and elegant. I looked up Wookieepedia creatures, too.
Jefferson Starship?
Haley's Comets?
Starship Nebula?
The Blue Moons?
The Red Nebulas?
The Dead Red Nebulas?
Stantz?
Mazzy Star?
Orbital Bombardment?
The Vapor Trails?
The Slorks?
Thanu-Nanu?
The Glim Worms?
Bandara-Rama?
Slar?
Zuxu-Zuxu?
The Tortuce Heads? (a two headed tortuce)
Lola-Lepusas?
The Ryloth Knights?
The Startones?
The Delfonics?
The Starfonics?
Dearth, Bind & Fodder?
The 5th Element?
The Starlites?
Jessa and the Pharaohs?
Stetsasonic?
Jessa and the Starlites?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_of_the_Galaxy

I think I like The Startones, Thanu-Nanu, Bandara-Rama, The Delfonics, The Starfonics, The Starlites, Jessa and the _____.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 am
Hi, new to the boards and Vengence posted in my introduction thread to come take a look. Do you still have an opening?
Yes. Relatively recent opening. Nothing begun yet in gameplay. Session Zero right now. Welcome to the boards!

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am
Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 am
Yes. Relatively recent opening. Nothing begun yet in gameplay. Session Zero right now. Welcome to the boards!
Thanks. Well if you don’t mind me slipping in to the spot I’ll read through some more of the information here and see about a concept. :)

Return to “Discussion”