Force Bonds

Discussions related to the operation of this board, or the mechanics of the game systems used in the games played on this board.
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Force Bonds

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:01 am

So with the Force Bond being a big thing in the Sequel Trilogy, and also having been a big thing in KotOR II, I kind of got to thinking how it'd be interesting to make one feature in a game.

But I don't think they'd work mechanically since both KotOR II and the ST saw the Force Bond being used to basically allow one to awaken new Force powers in themselves/others, which mechanically would just be gaining XP.

But maybe Force bond specific Force powers could be a thing, mechanically? KotOR II could see you draw energy from the bond, and bolster/drain things through the bond. the ST had the cool idea of small items being able to move through the bond (sort of like a smaller-scale version of the Force teleport the Aing-Tii had in the old canon). I think both could be interesting.

Maybe a Force Tree with the first power being like "Bond" or something, with the requirement that two people have to take it at the same time. The first power would be something like allowing emotions to be sent through the bond, potentially seeing each others memories/thoughts.

A magnitude power would let you use the Force through the bond on each other, with range upgrades.

A control power would let you potentially borrowing the FR or powers from the other, this would be really expensive. End of it could allow physical movement of items through the bond.

And another control tree to eventually let you buff each other (or debuff for Dark Side pips) to improve combat effectiveness.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Force Bonds

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:25 am

Neat idea!!! I could really see that. :D

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:04 am

Maybe have options to take extra bonds(can buy the whole tree multiple times)
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Ohh at the high levels perhaps you could use each other's senses.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Yeah, you basically could do that in KotOR, or at least Kreia could do it through you.

I will probably try to build the first draft of it this week, before classes start again. No clue how to test it though.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm

You can do it in one of my games. I'd allow you to introduce a player and I can make an NPC to test it. Could also open a solo game specifically for testing it.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:52 am

so i have it done, but it's not showing up on player options, how do I transfer it (within OggDude's character generator) so it shows up when building a character?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:20 am

I'm not sure. It has been ages since I messed around with his program.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:28 am

As soon as I figure it out I'll share a pciture of the tree.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 am

Here is my first rough draft:

What do you think?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 am

I need to add some timing restrictions to a few of those (and duration). Something like "till the end of the encounter" probably.

I think Strength: See/Hear should be "till the end of your next turn, or end as a free action (or whatever the formating is for doing it whenever)"

Borrow Power should be till end of the encounter.

Debating dropping the magnitudes and instead making those strength upgrades for Control: Aid Bond, or at least making one of them that.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Range could be Extreme, Planetary, System, Galactic. I think there are movie examples of each.

See and hear through should cost more, in my opinion.

Initial powers are probably just be sense the emotional state, as another Force Power does. So, it would start off pretty much like that other Force Power.

Good stuff! At work, but can comment more later!

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:19 pm

I like that range idea, I'll fix that in the next draft.

Cost more FP to activate, or more XP to buy? Tht should be 10, I'd forgotten to change it.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 pm

I don't like the taking of another's skills or force points as that seems evil. I would prefer it worded as send yours to another. This borrow force could be force aid. Commit a force die. Committed force die is usable by bound force user. This could be ranked allowing to loan more force die.

The skills thing is basically a skilled assist so I am fine with it but would prefer it worded that a player send their skills through the force rather than takes it. Just my opinion. Also forces the skill to be used on one playrrs turn allowing the other player to still have full actions.

Also as you said durations are needed.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 pm

So borrowing skills and the Force power of those your bonded with was what the plot of KotOR 2 focused on, and it showed up in New Canon in TLJ too.

It's not flavored as stealing, I was thinking of it as flavored as using your connection to draw on their skills to aid your own.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm

Ah I never played it.
I still think making it ranked for each force point is a good idea. Perhaps take 2 strain per force die upto ranks.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Ooh, yeah, that's probably a better idea.

so dropping the magnitude ones frees up two slots.

I'll add in those as ranked versions of the borrow skill?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 am

Yeah I wouldn't out more than two on this tree. Perhaps do an above tree that has more.

If you need another slot perhaps the ability to speak through the bond. I.e. speak through the other person or perhaps send some strain or healing. I.e. take one strain bound player recovers one strain. It could even be bi-directional where you could send or receive.

Return to “Republic Senate”