Rules Questions for 5e

A forum for Out Of Context (OOC) discussion related to the game.
Forum rules

Next * Update * Edit
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Rules Questions for 5e

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 am

What sort of things give you Advantage or Disadvantage?
Using 3.5 / Pathfinder terminology, Flanking does, I believe. What else?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: Rules Questions for 5e

Post by swrider » Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 am

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 am

A few things I wasn't sure I saw on that list. Elevation can grant advantage. A flying creature attacking a land creature. Being in a tree stand, being mounted on a horse (assuming you pass an animal handling, ride) check.

Some rules are just done away with completely many others have been consolidated into advantage and disadvantage.

Flanking is gone, free 5' steps are gone. You can now move all you want as long as you don't leave the enemies reach. Once you leave their reach they can use a reaction to take an attack of opportunity.

So far in this game we have seen a few time when advantage would have come into play.

Mounted (if you had attacked from mounted after passing a ride check).
Rage (this class ability grants advantages on attacks made by the barbarian... and against him IIRC)
Hiding. If the enemy does not know you are there you get advantage. I.e you are hidden or invisible.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 am

So where does it say that rage gives advantage to people attacking me, was it in an update because my copy of the book shows that being the case for reckless attack which gives you advantage on the first attack but also giving foes advantage.

The ones for rage just says I have advantage on my strength checks, which attack with my sword counts as.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 am

That must be what I remember. I was thinking it was an advanced feature that gave all the advantage. Im not sure that an attack counts as a strength check. It uses strength but is an attack action. But i didnt think it was game breaking this encounter and havent looked it up. It would make the afvanced feature useless thoug. Why would you take advantage giving them advantage against you if you already have advantage.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 am
So where does it say that rage gives advantage to people attacking me, was it in an update because my copy of the book shows that being the case for reckless attack which gives you advantage on the first attack but also giving foes advantage.

The ones for rage just says I have advantage on my strength checks, which attack with my sword counts as.
It is recklace attack. But you dont get adv on attack rolls unless you use that ability. Check out the definition of a strength check.

strength check.

Good new is you guys will be level two by the time you get to the city... Most likely.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:32 pm

So, Proficiency Bonus does NOT stack unless specifically stated, correct? So, if your Feat and Class both give you an Arcana bonus, the proficiency bonus only applies ONCE.

Now, Gage's Menacing Feat states that his Prof bonus applies twice to Intimidation. Otherwise, it never double stacks. There's an Invocation Warlocks get that grant proficiency in two Skills, but they won't double-stack with the Prof's chosen from Warlock.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

That is mostly correct. I believe you are reffering to a class feature not a feat. Feats are taken instead of ability score increases or if you are a variant human you get one. If you got a feat at character creation than you should have chosen a different skill for your waklock from its list of options. You usually have six option and get to pick two for your class. You get more from your background.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 pm

What is the carrying capacity for a pack saddle and saddlebags? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I can find the cost and weight but not how much it can hold.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am

kanila wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 pm
What is the carrying capacity for a pack saddle and saddlebags? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I can find the cost and weight but not how much it can hold.
I just check the Book, and 3 sites none of which shows that info. But I did pull out my Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment Guide. If we can use that as a guide? Saddlebags carry 20lbs each side and a Pack Saddle is made to allow you to load the animal with its maximum amount, but cannot be used for riding.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 am

That sounds fine.

Return to “Discussion”