swrider

A forum with background and information about the Game Masters on this board.
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

swrider

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 am

Years playing RPG's: I started in High School when i was introduced to d&d 3.5 so 2003ish
RPG's played/GM'd: D&D 3.5, D&D 5, FFG Star Wars
Consule RPG's played: Baulder's' Gate II.
PBP experience. I came to the old forum about 2015 ish.
RPG's you'd like to play: Im open, but not rich so I usually stick to the ones where I have easy access to books.
Self-professed GM style: Adaptive. I like to outline stories and modify them based on player actions and decisions. My greatest enjoyment comes when the group surprises me or a random comment or event sparks a great side event or changes the whole campaign.

Examples:
In star wars a group of players were spending a lot of credits they recently acquired. On a negotiation check for a protocol droid they rolled a despair. This droid was a member of a pirate gang and placed a tracker on their ship then ran around trying to sabotage it when the pirates attacked. It was an easy encounter but the player who made the roll has a real mistrust for droids. He claims it was the character, but I've seen the player paranoid in other games after that as well. @ShadoWarrior

In D&D a wild magic roll had a character proselytizing about a new god for a month. Since her backstory had her as the guardian of another PC I decided she decelerated him a god. Some people started worshiping the God which drew the attention of others. This lead to some unique quests and the real gods demanding that he prove his worth by defeating an evil lesser god. The campaign drifted very far from my original plan but ended up being excellent. Oh the PC did become a god and the other PCs his entourage.

Self-professed playing style
Creative. I generally know the systems really well so I try to be creative and inventive. When I can surprise a GM, I love it. I also enjoy playing characters as opposed to min-maxed stat sheets.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: swrider

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 am

For the record, there are only two games in which I've played or GM'd where a character under my control mistrusts droids: your old FoF game and my Far Orbit game. The former is where I rolled that Despair (and I chose to roleplay the character having an enduring effect from that), the latter is an NPC who is scripted by the published adventure to be mistrustful of droids. That mistrust stems from the canon droid rebellion, which is why the bartender in the Mos Eisley cantina bans droids.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 am

I just like ribbing you a little bit Shado. Welcome back to the board.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 am

meh. I got picked (out of 20 remaining people) to be one of the six (primary) jurors in a criminal case. Yay me. So I'm not really in the mood to be ribbed today. But thanks for the welcome.

Return to “Meet the Game Masters”