OOC: The Assault on Ione

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC: The Assault on Ione

Post by SavageBob » Thu May 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah, shame to see another steady player go (with Boutrose, then Sanguine). We can give a two-player game a go. Not sure if Shado is interested in rejoining as Lanna, but he's an option if we want a third.

Just FYI: Vesper is at 14/14 Strain. Not down yet, but she probably needs some advantage to give her a second wind if she's going to be healing anyone!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm

@DeepSpacer I rolled for dennies before realizing that Hell's weapon had linked. I redid my rolls to utilize that feature once I noticed my error. The original roll is posted in the IC also incase you decide to enforce it. It was a successfull roll, just realized that the ability to get a guaranteed hit for two advantages is way better than passing a boost die. I would have done it originally if I had noticed it on my cheetsheet, but since A roll was made before I noticed it is your decision if the change is allowed or not.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 pm

@swrider All is fine.

Clutch shooting!!!!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks I was quite happy with the result.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri May 31, 2019 12:51 pm

Agreed that losing some NPCs isn't a bad idea, but I do think Vesper would try. Should Vesper go ahead and try the Medicine checks? Or do we have another round of combat?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 31, 2019 3:06 pm

There are still the fuel tankers to worry about. And the other troops that left with the Walker.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri May 31, 2019 8:49 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:51 pm
Agreed that losing some NPCs isn't a bad idea, but I do think Vesper would try. Should Vesper go ahead and try the Medicine checks? Or do we have another round of combat?
Agreed, Vesper would try. It is the "in-character" thing to do. Make the rolls. The delay caused by helping the first one makes the second one a little harder.
swrider wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:06 pm
There are still the fuel tankers to worry about. And the other troops that left with the Walker.
Not going to RP out everything down to the last soldier. Plus, IRL, it's been a LONG combat sequence. Time to get back to playing RP'ing characters. ;)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Sounds good to me. It is easy enough to clean things up with the Calvary arriving. Helios will insist on destroying the Tie fighters before they leave, unless they are being taken by the pirates or the rebels. I assume that such conspicuous vehicles with no hyper drives would not be taken though.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:08 am

DS, is Vesper healing Wounds or Crits on the two downed soldiers? It makes a difference due to her talents and gear.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:08 am
DS, is Vesper healing Wounds or Crits on the two downed soldiers? It makes a difference due to her talents and gear.
Make it 'Crits'. They're on the doorstep of death.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:07 pm

While it might be interesting to have Vesper pass out and have Think make the check on his own, we'll just say that you can upgrade the next check and the two threats add a setback die to that check..

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Miraculously, she pulled it off! Doesn't mean we can't write these guys out later, but at least they're alive. This is what Vesper is spec'ed out to do, after all. She also had her Natural Doctor talent in her back pocket (allows a reroll once per session) if necessary. :)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Heroic stuff!!! Yeah, I saw the Natural Doctor talent, too. They'd surely be dead if not for Vesper. They'll still need carrying.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

XP & Duty

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 am

I almost thought it turned out TOO easy! But, there were times where one roll the other way could have spelled disaster. One clutch shot by Hell kept that enemy AT-ST from running wild. It most certainly would have finished Hell off in the next round and scattered us soon thereafter.

55 XP for all. Probably a regular 30-35, but some exceptional play dictates extra. I also FORGOT this included The City of Corin, too. I think that, at that time, I thought we’d get through this quickly and just combine the two adventures. I was wrong. We’re also not even at 300 total xp, so still ‘young’. But don't get used to the big haul! ;)

XP:
All players gain +55xp.

DUTY:
Vesper Reshari +20
Thino Krist +20
Helios Voltor +20
Oona Braitano +20

Advice
While it may be expedient to buy on down a Talent Tree with 55xp, it may be advisable to spread it around rather than purchasing 2-3 expensive talents. We are now a group of 'Two', for the time being.

At a quick glance, Helios has sufficient piloting talents. As I was discussing with my tabletop group this week (We ACTUALLY player SW FFG over the Memorial Day Weekend for the first time in about a year), unless the GM really gets into things like slicing and piloting then some basic competence is usually enough. As a GM's note, piloting won't be an emphasis the next two sessions. That said, the Gambler Tree has some Second Chances talents that seem to fit Helios' persona (reckless and lucky). Some 3rd ranks in skill would be nice, too, eh? Streetwise, Skulduggery, Underworld....lots of choice to choose from!

Vesper? Buying down the left side of the tree has some benefit (Toughened, Well-Rounded), but she has A LOT of skills with '1's' in them. Other trees are an option to broaden her combat prowess. Oona also has many ways to go with her xp.

Give me a few days to get up our Darlyn Boda intro. You have time to consider your options.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am

Also..... any questions? Concerns?
(I tried to wrap it all up.)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Excellent wrap-up! I think you were right to kind of fast-forward through everything. At the table, we could have role-played a lot of that, but it would take months in PbP.

I like the idea that the two rescued Rebels are on long-term bed rest (or bacta therapy). If we want them nearby but not involved in the action, we could try to get a medbay on our ship. Otherwise, they hang out at some safe haven somewhere, probably on Ione. (It might be time to upgrade those three to Rivals? They've been through quite a lot!)

I'm thinking of an even split with the XP for Vesper; 1/2 for skills, 1/2 for talents. I've always considered moving her into Vanguard at some point, since it's a good tree to represent a former athlete. But it may be enough to buy the low-hanging fruit from Medic (Forager, Toughened, maybe another rank in Stimpack Specialization and Grit) and then spend the rest of skills. That said, I'm also tempted by the Stim Application suite of talents from the right side of her tree: Basically represents "doping," something she might be familiar with from her sports days. Maybe the trauma of almost losing the two Rebels might convince her that it's worthwhile? But to get the most use of it, she'd need Master Doctor, too, eating up 50 of the 55 XP.

Taking Vanguard at this point would let her beef up with some cheap Toughened talents, and Body Guard on Hell or any NPCs. But that, again, leaves little XP for skill purchases.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Sorry for the delay, the wrap up looks good. I am not seeing many talents that I feel are worth the cost. I will probably focus on increasing skill ranks with the xp.

Though I would like to make a sepcial talent unique to Hell if @DeepSpacer is amenable. I want a talent that allows Hell's pet to become semi visible when it is narrated as performing an action. Sort of like the flash of a ghost. There would be no real mechanical affect from this, i just really like the idea of Hell's force powers being manifested through a force animal ghost pet. Let me know what you think, and if you are game how much the talent would cost.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 pm

What if Hell were to take the Conjure or Misdirect Force powers? It's a bit pricey to get the effect you want: Misdirect [15] + Control (alter appearance) [10] + Control (cause target to see illusion) [10]; or Conjure [20] + Duration [15]. But Conjure especially looks good if you ever want her to be able to actually fight for you! It'd be like Hell creating his own tulpa over time as you get more and more upgrades. :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Those are options, but DS did not want force use in this game originally. Hell was an exception because he was ported over from a game I had taken over as GM. Thank you for the suggestions both are an option that I would consider, once I hear back from DS

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 am

swrider wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm
Sorry for the delay, the wrap up looks good. I am not seeing many talents that I feel are worth the cost. I will probably focus on increasing skill ranks with the xp.

Though I would like to make a sepcial talent unique to Hell if @DeepSpacer is amenable. I want a talent that allows Hell's pet to become semi visible when it is narrated as performing an action. Sort of like the flash of a ghost. There would be no real mechanical affect from this, i just really like the idea of Hell's force powers being manifested through a force animal ghost pet. Let me know what you think, and if you are game how much the talent would cost.
:geek:

You could probably do that anyways. It has no real effect. SavBob is right in the correct mechanical way to do that, but I do not see a need to XP it since it is only a bit of flair.

Without Hell's hallucinatory pet idea, I'd probably have said, "Trade it in" on the FP's for other XP. But since it plays to his nature, it is worth keeping. I see a shadowy effect like a 0-level Cantrip. If you want, 5xp cost if it makes you feel better paying it. :mrgreen:

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:05 pm

I decided to go with skills. I am fine as having the pet as just a bit of flare. I don't really want to take hell any further down the force path than he already is. That is simply not the theme of this game. Also I see him more as a talented, eccentric, thrill seeking, semi lunatic.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:34 pm

I should have Vesper sorted soon, but it may be a couple of days. My family and I are moving cross-country, so the house is being packed as I speak. We're just on a break!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

I am not in a hurry. Good luck on the move. I may be doing the same in a month or two if things go well.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:34 pm
I should have Vesper sorted soon, but it may be a couple of days. My family and I are moving cross-country, so the house is being packed as I speak. We're just on a break!
Good luck on the move! The break in action comes at a good time, then. It gives me a few days to shore things up a bit. You can just check in with the 00C once I get something up and you're ready to jump back in.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks, y'all! The little one's sick, so we've been delayed a bit. :( Nothing serious; we should be able to get on our way tomorrow. But at least it means I had time to spend Vesper's XP! For now, I'm content to stick within the Medic spec. I went down the left side a bit and beefed up her skills some. Figured Mechanics and Gunnery might be handy for her Well-Rounded.

6 June: Purchased Grit [5 XP], Forager [5 XP], Toughened [10 XP], Well-Rounded [15 XP: Gunnery & Mechanics], Gunnery 1 [5 XP], Mechanics 1 [5 XP], and Athletics 2 [10 XP].

Return to “Discussion”