OOC: City of Corin and Beyond

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: OOC: City of Corin and Beyond

Post by swrider » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 pm

LOL, My first thought is that He would force us to go with him which would defeat the purpose of the roll while not invalidating it. It may give us the element of surprise though.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Options....

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:11 pm

@SanguineAngel @Boutrose Saba-Norr
By the book, successes extend duration, advantages increase value of goods/services received, Despair is “target realizes he’s been lied to”. Yet, realizing he’s been lied to counteracts the success of the roll because why would he believe the Rebel lie when he thinks you’re lying???

I had considered that he disbelieves that the SE is a distraction and, instead, thinks it is a sort of ‘pincer’ movement to attack from both sides.
I could definitely see him having thino placed in the brig due to a mix of institutionalized xenophobia and wanting to claim all the credit for himself.
Jailing Thino makes some sense.

Also, he could put the base on red-alert (if there is such a thing in Star Wars) and that could be the Despair. It makes all subsequent actions a bit harder (or, at least puts them on the fast-track).

Also, the Commander won’t necessarily disclose his thoughts (outloud) to anyone and may just go about his business. This Command Tower is for fueling operations. It is not necessarily a full-blown military installation with maps, and such.
As far as the Advantages go, I think it may be an opportunity to use FOUR of them to be allowed to send a communication “to your operatives in the field”. That would be an additional service or benefit that is gained in addition to the main task. This would also leave the group (RP’ing-wise) open to be disruptive in any way they choose and give them some freedom to move about the base (i.e. onto the turret towers, etc…).
All-in-all, I am thinking that the tower allows you to send a signal "to you operatives", you could say, while the Commander urgently departs from the tower. Success means that he buys the deception, fake Admiral name, and all. If so, then we could depart and move to our next sabotage move (a turret tower?).

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:32 am

Do we really want the commander leaving? I thought the idea with using a triumph to o find him is we would take him out of combat. Also we have a stolen speeder truck parked right outside. Perhaps we ambush them in the elevator? Or at the bottom. Some of us go down first. Or we casually drop a grenade in it. He'll doesn't have any but he could force power one of the storm trippers grenades going off.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:50 am

swrider wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:32 am
Do we really want the commander leaving? I thought the idea with using a triumph to o find him is we would take him out of combat. Also we have a stolen speeder truck parked right outside. Perhaps we ambush them in the elevator? Or at the bottom. Some of us go down first. Or we casually drop a grenade in it. He'll doesn't have any but he could force power one of the storm trippers grenades going off.
You all have an opportunity (as players) to discuss what your characters are thinking, but much will play out in the IC as things are happening. It is not like the PC's can discuss among themselves at this point. Someone may have to take things into their own hands.

I am only pausing the IC and the reply of the Commander to see if you all will use the 4 Advantages to ask and receive permission to message your operatives in the field (i.e. signal the pirates fleet). After that and a minute or so in the IC, things will move along.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am

I've been struggling to figure out what Vesper would do in this situation. Her instinct would be to bash someone, but she's able to stand back and let the talkie people do their thing first. In the meantime, is there any way she can glean potentially useful information on the room we're in from being inside? Maybe some sort of Knowledge (Warfare) check? Or a Vigilance check to see if anything looks off?

Another thought: What would it take to surreptitiously short out the lift? How about not-so-surreptitiously? Is this the only life in or out of the room?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:49 am

Okay, so I'm just trying to order my thoughts. My thinking is this:

4 Advantage
Using advantage to have the commander leave means he'll be taken out of combat since he's on his fool's errand. This'd have the same effect but make the takeover of this comms tower significantly easier (assuming he is a Rival or Nemesis).

Using the advantage to call in the fleet could mean we need not take over the tower - but that also means that they'll be able to recall their troops and reinforce the fight when everything goes down, or if we fluff the sabotage and tip our hand.

If we take the tower by force then we'd be sending the signal unimpeded anyway.

Despair
Regarding the despair - I think that if this were a film then Thino would be carted off to the brig just so we have a reason to dislike the commander on a personal level. It'd also give us a new objective (break Thino out of the brig/break himself out of the brig).

Likewise, raising a defensive shield could demonstrate some caution or reluctance to trust the alien spy and also give us another thing to do - disable the shield before the fleet arrives.

I'm aware that the suggestions for results on skill checks in the book are just that so I'm personally happy with whatever you decide best suits the circumstances @DeepSpacer

Meanwhile
I think we as players should probaly take a moment to agree our desired approach: do we still want to take the tower by force? Or are we happy to send the signal and leave without suspicion?

@SavageBob I presume that this would influence Vespers approach? If we're preparing for violence she might try to put herself into a position to act or prepare something. If we plan to leave the tower is there something she could do to sabotage the equipment here perhaps?

Ideally, I'd like to see the commander take troops out of base and then neutralise the tower. But I'm also happy to go with the concensus. @swrider am I detecting a desire to get going and wreck some havoc?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Hell is an impulsive character. He will sit back and watch things play out, but he dislikes being out of control in a situation. Having us all cramped into a close confined space would make him nervous from a tactical stand point.

As A player, I am plenty busy and we can take all the time we need, but I agree with DeepSpacer, that our characters would have no way to discuss this and would have to base their reactions off of each others actions. Discussion it extensively in the OOC kinda offsets that in game reality.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Yeah it's a fair point. I guess I'm just over-debating the Advantage spend while @DeepSpacer makes his decision.

In reality, if there's no intervention from others in the team, I know exactly how Oona would handle this situation. It's just a case of whether the Commander does leave or not.

@SavageBob with Vesper in the same room, i think this might be a nice opportunity for a little IC interplay between us but I leave the actual interpretation to you!

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:17 pm

All good stuff! Big thing is the four Advantages to resolve on the Deception check. Quite miraculous to make two of those in a row. ;)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 pm

For my two cents worth contacting our fleet should be a priority as that is actually part of our mission. Everything else is just benefiting the overall mission and not necessarily our direct tasks.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am
I've been struggling to figure out what Vesper would do in this situation. Her instinct would be to bash someone, but she's able to stand back and let the talkie people do their thing first. In the meantime, is there any way she can glean potentially useful information on the room we're in from being inside? Maybe some sort of Knowledge (Warfare) check? Or a Vigilance check to see if anything looks off?

Another thought: What would it take to surreptitiously short out the lift? How about not-so-surreptitiously? Is this the only life in or out of the room?
The lift IS the only way out. Present IC action leaves no time for disabling the lift.

I am always for a good roll!!! ;) Either Warfare or Vigilance check will work from Vesper (AVG). ONLY Vesper since she is thinking for herself and group communication is minimal at the time.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 am
The lift IS the only way out. Present IC action leaves no time for disabling the lift.

I am always for a good roll!!! ;) Either Warfare or Vigilance check will work from Vesper (AVG). ONLY Vesper since she is thinking for herself and group communication is minimal at the time.
What a crummy roll! 2 Advantages from the Vigilance check but nothing else. Maybe enough to grant a boost on an upcoming Cool check for initiative? Or to allow Vesper to roll Vigilance instead of Cool this once, despite the fact that we expect violence to break out?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 am
DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 am
What a crummy roll! 2 Advantages from the Vigilance check but nothing else. Maybe enough to grant a boost on an upcoming Cool check for initiative? Or to allow Vesper to roll Vigilance instead of Cool this once, despite the fact that we expect violence to break out?
Probably some other detail to notice that will be helpful. Controls for something important? Useful button to press? Time to think on it over night.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 am
Probably some other detail to notice that will be helpful. Controls for something important? Useful button to press? Time to think on it over night.
I still think seeing an easily bash-able elevator control panel would be fun. Just not that helpful for us when we need to get back out of here. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm

So thino’s concern is going to be that there is now a force heading down towards our other group of soldiers and out freed prisoner, he would want to signal to them that they need to stay out of sight and we might be able to do that with the com tower, so he is going to prioritize taking this com tower, in order to warn them and signal for our attack force to come in.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Do the storm troopers have grenades on their belts? IIRC standard load out has them with two frag grenades each, but that is obviously up to the gm.

Hell being hell is going to roll is going to set a grenade off in the elevator once all the baddies are in a nice confined space. That is if he rolls a useful pip.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

I have made the assumption that we would move out of the elevator allowing the storm troopers and commanders in. This occurs if that is the case and we are not in the elevator.

I assumed 1 difficulty for short range (hell from them vs grenade from host).
I also rolled a single boost die seperatly because of the confined space making the grenade more effective, I rolled it seperately in case DS disallowed it.

Please let me know and I will narrate in the IC.

Hellios; Uprising; Force Die:
, 2 Light Side

Hellios; Uprising; Ranged Light Grenade:
4 Successes, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImage

Hellios; Uprising; Elevator Boost:
1 Success, 1 Advantages *

* Please note I accidentally rolled a green and a purple with this and manually subtraced otu those results. The url still goes to the original roll.

Total 5 success 2 advantages, 2 advantages being used to activate blast. (If boost is allowed).

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 pm

@DeepSpacer I forgot to tag you in the above two posts

Also, this is how I believe hell would act. He has done grenade popping on imps before. If the other players object to this then Please feel free to overrule it as it is for lack of a better term, unilateral action.

He wouldn't want to let them get away, find our friends hiding, or discover the vehicle at the base of the tower and get suspicious. Of course this would be subconscious for him like it was last time. He is paranoid about grenades and could just visualize one of the stormtroopers grenades going off in such a confined space. Those things are so unsafe always going off on their own!

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:09 am

That’s the beauty of the situation. The characters get to act, or NOT act. We get to see what they’d do in the heat of a moment. I think we all know not to do dumb things to harm the innocent, and we'd all look out for them. I don’t think anyone knew “IF” the deception would work or not, but we'd all be concerned for the others.

We were in an area outside the elevator, in a doorway that we opened into the Comm Room. We merely need to step aside to clear the doorway.

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 am
I still think seeing an easily bash-able elevator control panel would be fun. Just not that helpful for us when we need to get back out of here. :)
That would be a good use of the Vigilance roll. There is a panel, of course. Whether bashing it stops the elevator, causes it to plummet, or anything else is anyone’s guess. OR, if hitting the controls makes it stop or just queues it to come back up after it hits bottom.
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm
So thino’s concern is going to be that there is now a force heading down towards our other group of soldiers and out freed prisoner, he would want to signal to them that they need to stay out of sight and we might be able to do that with the com tower, so he is going to prioritize taking this com tower, in order to warn them and signal for our attack force to come in.
Good idea. He could also call the Red Dawn to intercept them and pick them up. One could do this subtly or overtly, I imagine. Minion Comm Personnel are certainly easier to intimidate and subdue. I can envision a bank-robbery-style holdup. Cuff 'em and leave 'em.
swrider wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 pm
Hell being hell is going to roll is going to set a grenade off in the elevator once all the baddies are in a nice confined space. That is if he rolls a useful pip.
Standard Stormtroopers, except for a few minor details. Yes, grenades. Old one-trick pony tactic, I see.

Thinking about that…. grenades have several seconds until they go off and would give a person a chance to notice (see or hear), perhaps. Not sure if these things hum or beep like a thermal detonator (although, the wiki description likens them to ThD’s). They either detonate on impact or go by a timer. At the least, it has a flip up part for a timer per the picture of them. Assuming no sound is made, they could notice something on their belt moving, I would think, as the half-circle-shaped timer is flipped. (There really isn’t an impact coming unless you pull it up and off the belt and drop it, giving them a chance to do something.)

I’d liken it to a bunch of force-users making each other’s lightsabers go off ‘accidently’ on each other by using the same trick. Just doesn’t seem like tons of force-users would be done-in by opponents manipulating their own weaponry on their belts. I’ll let them roll a Perception check to notice the timer flipped, however difficult it may be. It probably makes some sort of vibration or 'click' when flipped due to trigger resistance, otherwise you could just graze and arm against them and pop them up accidently, one would think. Timers go off in up to 3 Rounds, the CRB says.

That said, it's not a make or break action for the scene so I'm not going to disallow anything. Besides, maybe it softens them up and it definitely makes things more fun :D

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:12 am

@DeepSpacer What did you feel about the boost for being in the confined space. I ask because it affects the narration.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:23 am

Huh... I never noticed before, but activating Blast is 3 Adv's if the attack misses, not 2.

@swrider Grenade description makes the Blast affect everyone in a confined space, it says. Considering the elevator holds these six persons, it has some space. But, a boost is okay, either for area or from the unexpectedness of it all.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 am

BTW, the Comm Center personnel are standard 2 dice in everything and no ranked skills that'd affect Coercion, Charm, or anything else. 2Diff on anything.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am

Three advantages.... I remembered wrong. Ok so I will pass a boost to the next person to act and recover 1 strain.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 am

so guys, I am going to try somthing out, a charm check to convince the people in the tower that as a covert agent under Admiral Cardot he has seniority as he holds the rank of Lt. Comander (which he happens to have a Lt. Comander code cylinder from pittz) and that he is taking charge of this command tower in order to ensure that the commander and the admirals mission go off without a hitch.

@DeepSpacer I know it is 2 difficulty but can thino get any boosts for the situation, given the fact that thier comander believed him and he has the code cylinder.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:18 am

Love it

Return to “Discussion”