OOC - "Return to Hoth"

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: OOC - "Return to Hoth"

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am
Hopefully things have cooled down with the immigration lawyer!
lol yes things are going quite well bob, we were just meeting with our lawyer to have a mock interview in preparation for the one that we are having soon with the immigration office. my wife and i went out to eat afterwards.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am
lol yes things are going quite well bob, we were just meeting with our lawyer to have a mock interview in preparation for the one that we are having soon with the immigration office. my wife and i went out to eat afterwards.
Good to hear it. I've spend some time overseas and had lots of friends in your situation. Glad it's going OK. :)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:58 am

Does that put us back to the start of a new turn, DS? Or are asking Matt to do a sensors check?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:58 am
Does that put us back to the start of a new turn, DS? Or are asking Matt to do a sensors check?
I believe the Triumph effectively gives Helios a 2nd bite at the apple, so to speak. ...a free maneuver in which to make another check.

Otherwise, top of the round. Once we exit the field, we're out of structured time. Then, sensor checks might be more effective. Right now, 2SB dice to Avg check while in the field.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 am

Ill try to roll and post tonight. If i dont someone can roll for me tommorrow. Im leading a hospital inspection and will barely even be able to check my phone let alone post.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 pm

swrider wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 am
Ill try to roll and post tonight. If i dont someone can roll for me tommorrow. Im leading a hospital inspection and will barely even be able to check my phone let alone post.
Sounds like Rider may be away until the evening. Here's a pinch-hitter roll (per his instructions above). I'm also happy to wait for him if that's preferable.

pinch hitting for Helios Loco; Uprising; Piloting (Space):
2 Successes, 0 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks bob. I posted on ic but i didnt have the two reds since i just redid the roll. I think your roll is the appropriate one. Both succed though so the ic dosent need to change.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Ah, glad you're able to check in! Sorry for rolling for you. But, yeah, I'd probably just take the successful roll and get us out of the debris field. :lol:

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm

I think the roll should have had 2pp instead of 2rr based on what ds said:
DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 am
So, the Triumph grants another maneuver in which Helios may make another Piloting check to cover the distance necessary to leave the field. At the same PP+SS. A success gets you out of the field.
Either way it was still a success but we could use those advantages.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Whoops; looks like that ship's sailed. Or flown? Oh well.

On the Computers check for the sensors, I added two setbacks for the debris field's interference. Let me know if that's wrong, DS.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm
Ah, glad you're able to check in! Sorry for rolling for you. But, yeah, I'd probably just take the successful roll and get us out of the debris field. :lol:
Thank you for rolling. Im often able to check in when im not available. There is no way i would have been able to roll today. I made that obr late last night.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 pm

So Hell is a pilot and loves being a pilot and any challenge related to it. So gaining supplies would be a fun thing to do.

However, I would image our characters would be more interested in helping any potential survivors. We may loose the supplies, but it is easier to get supplies than personnel.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm no physics expert, but I wouldn't think the debris is going anywhere. Maybe we go down to check on the base and come back up for the supplies? That also gives DS a chance to prep for an encounter with Squibs and/or Ugors. ;)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm

I think the pressure is time constraints. How long do we want to stay near Hoth. It seems unlikely that the empire left the place completely unmonitored and no doubt our arrival has been or will be reported to someone.

Also there is another detail which would be glaring to our characters. They were not permitted to take ANY cold weather equipment with them as it could lead back to Hoth. We are completely unprepared to deal with the cold.... That is unless cold weather gear was included with the supplies we purchased. IIRC it was one of the requested supplies so.... sneaking off to a corner now.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 pm

swrider wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm
Also there is another detail which would be glaring to our characters. They were not permitted to take ANY cold weather equipment with them as it could lead back to Hoth. We are completely unprepared to deal with the cold.... That is unless cold weather gear was included with the supplies we purchased. IIRC it was one of the requested supplies so.... sneaking off to a corner now.
The standard Thermal Cloaks are available. They remove 2 Setback dice vs Cold. I imagine those as sorts of thermal blankets. Adverse Environmental Gear (Soak 1) also removes a Setback die. I imagine that's what Han and Luke were wearing on Hoth. The movie doesn't always translate to the game well. Both option, I think are appropriately available in the supplies. Space travel and mining facilities are sufficiently cold as to not arouse suspicion in most places. But, being dressed that way leaving would possibly indicate a place of origin, if noticed. Regardless of the precautions taken, the hostile environment of Hoth still requires significant Resilience checks for prolonged exposure. The key is: not being exposed for prolonged periods, or after sunset.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 am

do we have any kind of locator buoys that we can drop to mark the location of the wreckage? even after rescuing survivors we could learn something form going over it.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 am

i asked in story for an estimation of tonnage since it seemed more appropriate than asking for silhouette

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm

So, just a few thoughts: We haven't established what local time is at Echo Base yet. I'm willing to flip a Destiny Point to ensure it's still daytime if necessary.

Second, this might be a good chance to introduce a new PC if our valiant GM wants one. We seem to have lost Kzar, and Matt and Shado are incommunicado. One of Shado's players, like Kanila or Tom, might be looking for another game to get into. Besides, surviving the Battle of Hoth would be a pretty awesome backstory! Just an idea.

Finally, everyone's green, so I'll swap Vesper's text to ambulance red. :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm
...Shado are incommunicado.
Doc and I are trying to get ahold of him. He has been a very reliable player on this forum, its predecessor, and its predecessor for nearly a decade. This is very much unlike him, and something must be going on in his personal life. I would recommend running his character as an NPC or letting another player use it temporarily until we know what is going on.

Inviting the payers from shado's game is a good idea though as it could keep them active.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm
SavageBob wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm
...Shado are incommunicado.
Doc and I are trying to get ahold of him. He has been a very reliable player on this forum, its predecessor, and its predecessor for nearly a decade. This is very much unlike him, and something must be going on in his personal life. I would recommend running his character as an NPC or letting another player use it temporarily until we know what is going on.

Inviting the payers from shado's game is a good idea though as it could keep them active.
He has said that it is because he has lost his usual method of accessing the internet, I’m sure when he can find a reliable method again he will be back.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Also I really hope Matt hasn’t lost interest in this game, I was really enjoying the idea of ronin and Thino working together.

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah, I have no doubt Shado will be back. We have been playing together for years now so I am worried about him as a player. I am more worried about him as a friend and just want to make sure he is doing all right.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about him, too. Hopefully he'll be back before too long.

Regarding the spiral search pattern, I'm assuming it'd be best to leave scanners on passive mode (meaning they search out to Short range in all directions) until we reach the surface. Then Vesper (or someone else) can try a Computers check to boost the sensors out to Medium range in the front of the ship. Unless I'm misreading how sensors work, we should still be able to scan out to Short toward port, starboard, and aft even while boosting scanners toward the front.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 pm

It would actually be more beneficial to boost scanners to the side. The out side of the arc. The front of the ship will be the direction we are traveling so we will be going through the area one way or the other. If we direct them towards the side we can have larger gaps between the spirals. the gap between the spiral loops will be three times sensor range. two of them will have been scanned by the outside loop scan and the last one third will be covered by the inside loop scan still at one

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Ah, very good point. That would mean that boosting the sensors essentially shortens the amount of time it will take us to cover the whole search area.

Return to “Discussion”