OOC - "Return to Hoth"

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC - "Return to Hoth"

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:31 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:56 am
@bob you mentioned boosts before about the interaction do those still apply
Unless DS has changed his mind, you should get two upgrades. If it's Charm, I suppose one of those will be automatically negated? Or maybe you'll roll an extra Red? (I think Oona should probably be doing this bit as our face, but seems SA thought it should be Vesper and Thino.)
That would be VESPER receiving those two upgrades for her personal care. But, I suppose the medical care has some residual effect that carries over to the others. So, I think one upgrade is in order for (as a group) applying medical attention to a prisoner.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:34 pm

I’m fine with Oona making the roll, I’m still not good enough at charm or negotiations yet to be an effective good cop, espeacially when I’m going to get a negative to the charm roll already.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Personally I’m finding good cop to be a little confusing considering that charm is not a career ability and it’s kind of difficult to try and figure out how to use negotiations with a prisoner.

Realistically I could be lying to him and say we will set him free if he cooperates, but I would prefer to not do that now.

Also it really seems like an ability that should allow me to help others or allow other to help my next roll but idk.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Personally I’m finding good cop to be a little confusing considering that charm is not a career ability and it’s kind of difficult to try and figure out how to use negotiations with a prisoner.

Realistically I could be lying to him and say we will set him free if he cooperates, but I would prefer to not do that now.

Also it really seems like an ability that should allow me to help others or allow other to help my next roll but idk.
Lots of things help on a charm check. Food, drink, comfort, warmth, change of clothes, rest, alcohol, a warm meal, gifts, releasing the shackles, etc.... It's just that in the confines of a starship after a bloody battle, it's tough.

BTW, there is a starship addition that is like a luxury suite. It upgrades all social checks aboard a starship.

Good Cop - Bad Cop always seemed a bit odd. The Marshal has both. In a way, the Good Cop is always sort of 'lying', in a way. In a way, it is more like 'not being mean'.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:12 pm

I think it makes sense for it no being a career skill - as the talent pretty much assumes you fail the check but your good cop routine helps as part of a two person approach. So it might be a bluff (my partner's crazy, you'd better talk to us before he hurts you), genuine care (as DS suggests - offering comfort), real concern (We're trying to help you!) and interpretation is almost entirely down to context. Whatever the case, your charm check may fail but still make the subject positively disposed towards you or put them on the back foot or disconcert them or otherwise prepare them for your partner's approach to work. I think it relies on some planned approach beforehand in order to interpret results in a sensible narrative. But then the same is probably true in real life.

Seems like a neat route for non-charmer to still be very useful in assisting in social checks, rather than just an unskilled assist

Speaking of which, that does mean you'd need to perform a charm check and spend 2 adv before me, so that I can get the benefit of that (in this case) good cop bad cop routine.

If I'm reading the situation correctly, you'd prefer me to step in and use the boost on my check here instead of thino?

@DS, would I still get it for coercion? And what would the difficulty be? (I get a downgrade on the difficulty of coercion checks for a rank in intimidate).

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:00 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:12 pm
@DS, would I still get it for coercion? And what would the difficulty be? (I get a downgrade on the difficulty of coercion checks for a rank in intimidate).
I am not thinking that the kindness (or diplomacy) of healing the Lieutenant would boost any kind of Coercion check. Oona was already very testy with the officers, so there'd be no kind of penalty (so far). One could make the case, though, that a failed Good Cop - Bad Cop routine could affect the impact of the bad cop. Effectively saying, "You wouldn't dare do that. Your partner wouldn't approve."

Imperial Officer have 3 Ranks in Discipline, so they're a tough nut to crack.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Makes sense. So Boutrose, would you like to try your hand at a charm check and then I can be the backup plan? You could play off the medical care but if you need to threaten him with me, since it's already obvious what my feelings are towards him, having spat in his face direction! (wonder if I could talk DS into a boost for having successfully intimidated him previously and now having him prisoner and out of reach of his compatriots? ;) )

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:25 pm

+1 Boost. Backed into a corner, taken from allies, etc... Makes sense.

May want to use a DP on Coercion. a Triumph "shifts the target's allegiance".
His Cool to resist Charm is 2 Diff. Charm is your weakest offense, but his weakest defense.
His Discipline to resist Coercion is Red-Red-Purple (to begin with).

We should make some rolls. Have some dialog. You all are working together, so it's time to put up or shut up (as the saying goes).

BTW, Ion cannons ar R5 & R6.
Slicer gear would be a good investment for a R4 item.
Please note additions in some way in a "spoiler" or addendum to your sheets. It helps me see that you added something and then doesn't necessitate OOC posts (x's 4) to see what happened. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Alright then I’ll go and take your advice about things that can benefit charm, I won’t make the roll til we do the interaction but when I do should I use my new levels for charm after spending the Xp?

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm
Alright then I’ll go and take your advice about things that can benefit charm, I won’t make the roll til we do the interaction but when I do should I use my new levels for charm after spending the Xp?
Ah...good question. Depends on whether you've rested during the trip and THEN question the prisoner. Or, whether you question the prisoner during the first part of the trip. I'd say it takes a bit to reflect and build up off of XP (researching better techniques, practice, reflection time, etc...). the trip is only a matter of hours.

Inquire 1st, then rest?
- have not spent XP yet (rested as a break between sessions)
- can develop what comes from those rolls, if anything. Possibly question, possibly get informative answers, maybe info on datapad, then have time to deal with that.

Rest first, then inquire?
- can use spent XP
- not much time to build on any (possible) success since we are arriving at the destination soon
- no time to deal with complications that may arise

I think those sound fair.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:51 pm

swrider wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:08 pm
So I was looking at things. I was hoping you might let Hell get a forward mounted medium ion cannon (my cheat sheet did not have a rarity so I'm not sure what that is) The price is 6k which may be a little much but its range is short as opposed to close which is essential. (fired from either pilot or co-pilot stations)

Perhaps we could say we get a medium ion cannon installed, but it is damaged and until it is repaired it has the range and damage of a light ion cannon? Or pheraps it has slow firing 1 until repaired. And then the repairs could cost a little more money and mostly time.
Bump

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:09 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm
Ah...good question. Depends on whether you've rested during the trip and THEN question the prisoner. Or, whether you question the prisoner during the first part of the trip. I'd say it takes a bit to reflect and build up off of XP (researching better techniques, practice, reflection time, etc...). the trip is only a matter of hours.

Inquire 1st, then rest?
- have not spent XP yet (rested as a break between sessions)
- can develop what comes from those rolls, if anything. Possibly question, possibly get informative answers, maybe info on datapad, then have time to deal with that.

Rest first, then inquire?
- can use spent XP
- not much time to build on any (possible) success since we are arriving at the destination soon
- no time to deal with complications that may arise

I think those sound fair.
I would LOVE to have rested first! Without it my coercion will be significantly weaker. Plus I already visited the bunk so it cooould work?

I really debated being specific about resting and waking to hear voices in my last IC post. Kick myself! :roll:

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:27 pm

May wait to see what develops at the space station. Ion cannon could work into that rather than have it magically appear.

It'd be good against minions, less so vs rivals.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:55 pm

no i think we should do it now so that we can have time to deal with the repercussions. If I get enough to boost Oona's roll later, there is no time limit on when good cop can give you the boost, i think that you would just have to bring up the conversation that pitts had with thino earlier and you would still gain the effect after resting.

Currently on Dubai time

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 pm

ok, that would also give Thino a couple hours to look at that datapad if you're so inclined.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 pm
ok, that would also give Thino a couple hours to look at that datapad if you're so inclined.
yea that's what I'm feeling too, like the last time we looked at the datapad we weren't able to do anything with it because things happened all at once, if we can find out something about it first and then act then we wouldn't be rushed into forgetting about it again.

so @ds, I'm trying to create a situation in which I could do the charm check with Pitts since even with the best roll it wouldn't make sense to just be, "you hate me but you are charmed"I don't want to hold things up any longer than necessary since I know Oona can get what she needs potentially later so i'll try to be quick.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Sitting to himself, it is possible the Imperial has a change of heart as he thinks through his options. "Time" can have an effect on people, as well.

I am on-call this evening. Thus far.....no calls. I get to sit at home and do stuff. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:16 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 pm
Sitting to himself, it is possible the Imperial has a change of heart as he thinks through his options. "Time" can have an effect on people, as well.

I am on-call this evening. Thus far.....no calls. I get to sit at home and do stuff. :)
nice ok i'll make the response as quick as i can

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:16 pm
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 pm

nice ok i'll make the response as quick as i can
No rush! Really.... I'm just saying that I can get in quick responses as I sit around for a call (or no call). It can seem like I watch it like a hawk, but today I simply have some home time. I don't want it to come off as pushy. We also don't want to leave someone behind. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:35 pm

hey, ds, what are the boosts again, I can look back through again but if you can give me a faster answer then that's good too lol, I'm going to edit the die roll into my last ic post when I make it,

also no worries, it's not something I feel rushed on, I've been thinking about this convo for the past few days so I knew how I wanted to handle it with the lt.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 pm

just saw it, it was an upgrade, so thino is rolling yellow green against 2 green? or was that increased at all?

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 pm
just saw it, it was an upgrade, so thino is rolling yellow green against 2 green? or was that increased at all?
correct as it is.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:20 am

So I just posted the result over in the ic post, 1 success and 1 threat, been reading up on the uses of threats and advantages in charm rolls and it describes them as being able to affect unintended targets, so maybe some of the rebel troopers overheard me talking bad about the old republic and they didn’t like it? Possibility.

I can tell that I’m going to be working on Pitts while he’s my prisoner for a while, and I hope to upgrade my stuff more as time goes on.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:24 am

Opportunities could arise.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Hey I just wanted to make sure you're not waiting on me for anything? Boutrose made a heck of a roll, so I'm assuming that my coercive skills are (currently) surplus to requirements.

Return to “Discussion”