UPRISING OOC

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: UPRISING OOC

Post by kanila » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm

I'll wait on Deep. If he wants another player I'll build an outlaw tech.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm
Just being brutally frank.
Give me time shado, I might actually become accustomed to that frankness so that you don’t have to clarify so much. ;)

And I get it, pbps go slow and don’t last long, the same amount of xp you said takes months to earn here can be earned in a matter of two or even one session if the group is playing by the 5xp per hour rule, so I get that there is less expectation for people to grow and that changes the game play style. Whereas in tabletop thier is the luxury of having character driven stories it seems like in pbp the need is to finish the narrative as quickly as possible which supports minmaxing and doesn’t support character development so much.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

5xp per hour is generous. FFG's own benchmark is 5 per session.

One of the biggest problems with running FFG-based games in PbP is translating "per session". A typical tabletop session is 4-6 hours. How to translate that into time spent in a PbP is tricky, and requires a lot of judgment calls.
Give me time shado, I might actually become accustomed to that frankness so that you don’t have to clarify so much.
I'm an acquired taste. Kind of like drinking unsweetened (aka bitter) tea, cough syrup, or anything else that you have to choke down that's allegedly "good for you".

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:08 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm
5xp per hour is generous. FFG's own benchmark is 5 per session.
5 XP per session is way low! The suggestions on AOR p. 316 would equal to 10–20 XP per session. It's of course a GM prerogative to control progression however he or she sees fit, so don't take this as a knock against anyone's GM style.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:15 pm

5xp per session was the suggestion in EotE and the FFG beta. Long before AoR came into existence. Also, that's 5xp just for time spent playing. It does not include awards for roleplay or milestones in the adventure. Escape from Mos Shuuta, for example, is intended to be run in one session, and has an award of 10xp, plus whatever the GM wishes to grant as a bonus for exceptional roleplay.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 pm

My group was doing 5 per hour because we would play for 6 or 7 hours a time and only once every two weeks, it seemed like too much time to invest to just do the suggested 10-20
but more recently when I took over GMing I changed it to 10 flat per session since we were only meeting for 2-3 hours at a time.

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm

10 flat per session regardless of milestones or roleplay for only 2-3 hours of play is reasonable, IMO. In fact it's generous, given how few hours are actually being invested by the players.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Yeah, I grant 5 per major encounter, plus a few more for role-play. It equates to 15 per session usually and requires the players to be invested in the game and not joking around or on their phones or whatever. Sorry if I overreacted to the 5 XP per session suggestion; that still sounds low, but it sounds like that number assumes the players are not playing that whole time and that RP rewards are still possible on top of that.

I've yet to run a PbP, so I do appreciate the folks who have tried to figure that out (including our GMs on this site).

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Escape from Mos Shutta has 4 "major" encounters (piggies, bucketheads, Trex, and the TIEs). Per FFG's own guidelines (10 per 2-3 encounters) that adventure should grant 20xp, but it only gives 10 per what it says to do. We got 20 because Trip was being both smart and generous. 5 per major encounter is what I do, 10 is it's a really tough encounter (tough by design, not tough because the players screwed up and made it tougher than it should have been).

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I also grant do for milestones in story when I run it but I don’t like to grant for RP, it’s a very subjective thing and also unfairly disadvantages inexperienced role players.

I prefer to coax interaction in the story and the characters in other ways by giving my players questionnaires about their characters in order for them to get in their head and to give me an idea of how the character will respond to things. I also let them assist in describing the environment and the npcs when I don’t have something written up or it pertains to their backstory. For example, characters decide they want to go shopping but I don’t have something written up for them, I have them describe the npc shopkeeper and maybe even let them role play him while I give him generic stats and control the rolls for him.

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm

You sound like a good GM. I look forward to the day you decide to run your own PbP.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:05 pm

If I ever do that shado the rule number one will be no minmaxing lol

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Didn't say I'd play in it. :P

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 pm

It is definitely a fun idea, one of the hardest things to do as a tabletop gm is improvise when the players do the unexpected, I’ve even toyed with the idea of taking improv comedy classes to help with it, but with a pbp the gm has all the time they need to respond.

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 pm
Iwith a pbp the gm has all the time they need to respond.
As do the players. There is no reason whatsoever for rushed, poorly thought out responses. The main advantage of the medium (besides allowing people to play who otherwise can't get into a group) is that you can take your time. And show off your skills as a storyteller and novelist. In my years doing this I've met some really gifted roleplayers.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Yea I learned how to write and role play in this style having spent 7 years starting at 13 on a pbp roleplaying board about the dragon riders of peen series so I love the medium, never done this in a moderated way though, before it was just collaborative story telling rather than a narrative game.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Deep spacer in my approved character sheet it says that my character speaks Basic, Rodese, and Mandalorian, as well as understands several languages used in seedier parts of the galaxy, would you say that includes understanding Shyriiwook? I know I didn’t specify it but after reading through the story I can see we have no one that understands Lanna and I would think that that is a language spoken in those parts given the slave trade.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 am

PBP, indeed, is different than tabletop. Sometimes you have to look at it from a frequency POV and make a judgment call. There’s a character-development goal and plot development. We’d all like to have our characters gain xp and grow as well as complete some group goals. Retarding those areas discourages players.

At the live table I plan in, we only play 2x’s/month, and that’s if holidays or illness don’t disrupt us, which they do a few times a year. By doing the math of XP per session, you can tell how far a PC will develop. We don’t want to play a character for 3 months and only end up with 60xp (10 per session) at a tabletop game. For us, what works is something between 15-30 for 3-4hr session. Also, once characters have bought up all the 5-10xp Talents/Skills, anything below 20xp is a fat ol’ nothing-burger.

At a live table, the group could do ‘quick side missions to get boons from NPC’s. i.e. do favors to get favors back. However, I am finding that a “quick” side mission in PBP can last for months. In which case, you sometimes forget what you were doing the mission for and what the premise of the campaign was. For example, I am enjoying playing in Alpha Squad, which was going to be a SW version of the A-Team. i.e. doing mercenary missions while we are on the run for a crime we did not commit. We’ve been in a flashback to how that crime went down since August 15th. We’ll get to mercenary missions eventually. As I said, I am enjoying playing the game. I only mention it to use as an example of pacing. In a table session, we could have done the flashback of how we were framed in a 3hr session, maybe. In PBP, pacing is much different.

Given those things and running my first PBP, I expect to play out the campaign in sections and dole out XP and Duty at a rate where players and the group can grow as the campaign goes on. Uprising has 4 major portions planned: Life on Hoth, trip to Mexeluine, Return to Hoth, and Post-Hoth Uprising. After that, I’ll add in where it goes based on what PC’s want to do.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Shyriiwook

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:32 am

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm
Deep spacer in my approved character sheet it says that my character speaks Basic, Rodese, and Mandalorian, as well as understands several languages used in seedier parts of the galaxy, would you say that includes understanding Shyriiwook? I know I didn’t specify it but after reading through the story I can see we have no one that understands Lanna and I would think that that is a language spoken in those parts given the slave trade.
The "Star Warsy" thing to do is as it played out in the movies. We had this discussion in an earlier thread somewhere on here. I think we had settled on one of the former PC's being able to understand. That character is not here. You could take that role. I think it is fair for Shado to have a say in that. With regard to RP'ing IC and group dynamics, it'd be an optimal way to develop a small level trust between Thino and Lanna. I'm fine with it is Shado is.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am

I'm fine with it. It was our missing pilot, BTW. So Thino, taking that role, works. BTW, Deep, you haven't answered Peter's earlier question (probably a page or two back by now) regarding the ship, what happened to our pilot, et cetera. I'm too busy right now to go hunt for that post.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

+1

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 am

kanila wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm
For the moment, I will keep things as-is with 5 players. Multiple reasons, really. One of which is spreading oneself too thin with too many characters balanced against some new players on the site who may be looking to join up. I don't doubt your sincerity, kanilo, but sometimes real life can cause us to cut back at times. We've also seemed to have a flurry of interest in PBP in recent weeks, including one just today. I hope you can understand where I am coming from. We can look at it again in a few weeks. :D :D

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:48 am

alright sounds good, i found it kind of odd that lanna never got to say anything, and i'm happy for the tie in to the main group

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:51 am

Lanna not saying anything is my choice as a player. Both IC as her, and OOC as me, I'm just not interested in what's going on right now.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

ship

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 am

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 am
so finished reading through the whole story posts before i made my first one but it just occurs to me, is the player who controlled the character whose ship the main crew arrived on no longer playing?
Ah! Sorry for the delay.
I read that question some time ago, but got distracted and forgot. I apologize. :D That is correct. Player stopped posting, unfortunately. In order to blend in, we used a non-Republic version of a ship. It was to be owned by Svae. As it is, a hand wave of the GM's magic wand and it now becomes an unmarked freighter the Republic had for discrete missions such as these. Yes, Option B, C, or D is to have a player take over the said PC, or rework that PC, or sub in a PC for a PC with a similar ship-owning background. Yet, we're already on Mexeluine and given what's about to happen on Hoth, we'll be left as the ship's owners, anyways. :twisted:

With regards to the usage of a pilot in the campaign, a pilot is whoever is behind the wheel. Enough, anyways to fly from point A-to-B. Navigating asteroid fields or dogfighting in combat under dire circumstances is another thing. For me, I've GM'd some space sequences at the table and it is not something I have great depth in understanding. We won't have extensive ship antics in Uprising, but there will be enough to make use of some piloting talents. Part of what I love in PBP is to sharpen my skills in some areas by learning from people who know more than I do. :D

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: +1

Post by kanila » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 am
kanila wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm
For the moment, I will keep things as-is with 5 players. Multiple reasons, really. One of which is spreading oneself too thin with too many characters balanced against some new players on the site who may be looking to join up. I don't doubt your sincerity, kanilo, but sometimes real life can cause us to cut back at times. We've also seemed to have a flurry of interest in PBP in recent weeks, including one just today. I hope you can understand where I am coming from. We can look at it again in a few weeks. :D :D
It's all good! I'll gladly let others new jump in before me. The more new faces the merrier!
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Return to “Discussion”