UPRISING OOC

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

UPRISING OOC

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:22 am

Uprising (black).png
Uprising (black).png (233.86 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
For anyone who searches the title, they will find a 2015 video game that was never finished (from what I can tell). Not all of those game elements will be utilized. Insofar as the game is considered 'Canon', one should consider this campaign 'alternative-universe' with regards to what I shall use and not use. Uprising (the game) takes place just after Return of the Jedi, but this version will take place just prior to The Empire Strikes Back.

The players will begin at Echo Base on the planet of Hoth, prior to the arrival of the Empire. They will be sent on a secret supply run to a nearby system just prior to hostilities breaking out. The group will ultimately need to survive in the sector, oppose the Empire, and rally local inhabitants to the cause in a remote sector of the Outer Rim.

The group will start out as a group of mixed Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. Players can be from either CRB, with some limitations by the GM (force-users are discouraged). One core requirement is that all characters be either Rebellion members or Rebellion-friendly. This can range from non-Alliance, Han Solo-like scoundrels to devoted Rebel officers/soldiers like Leia. Character backgrounds will have ties to the Rebellion in some way. A wide variety of skills are needed, but party-roles (tank, face, etc...) are not necessary. The group will (initially) be led by an Alliance operative (NPC).

'Uprising' will focus on enjoyment and ease-of-play, with the advancement of the story to take priority over strict rules adherence. This may be good for those with little experience at SW FFG. We will learn some things as we go, but will not hold up the game for it. If you have interest, then leave a message below.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Force Points

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 am

GM; UPRISING; Force Points:
, 5 Light Side , 3 Dark Side

ImageImageImageImageImage

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Re: Force Points

Post by Stneu73 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 am
GM; UPRISING; Force Points:
, 5 Light Side , 3 Dark Side

Sweet

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: UPRISING OOC (Echo Base)

Post by SavageBob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Can we all understand Lanna? Or have we established that only one of us does? The rulebook answer is that all PCs in the party are able to understand one another, but I know Shado had floated the idea of only one other PC understanding his character. Did we ever settle on one or the other?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I don't recall if Sarenda and Lanna even met prior to Hoth, let alone if she understands Shyriiwook. Voe can speak to Lanna telepathically, but I don't recall if the game/canon mentions if they read minds. (That ability would be abusive as hell in a RPG, IMO). As for the two humans, Vesper is unlikely to have ever met a Wookiee before seeing Chewbacca, as Ralltiir is a Core World with billions of humans. Kzar probably never met a Wookiee before seeing Chewbacca either. Wookiees were not commonly seen traveling the galaxy during the Republic (unlike Ithorians, say) and even less so after the rise of the Empire. Rodians, Twi'leks, Duros, Devaronians, Zabraks, Trandoshans, et cetera are common as dirt as far as non-humans go.

The rulebook is trying to simplify everything, but it does so at the expense of roleplay. Why everyone should know the speech of a species that has no vocal apparatus able to speak Basic makes no sense except as a metagame mechanic.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah, I get that it's a metaaming convenience to have all of us understand Lanna. My main concern with only having one other character understand her would be that it would add an additional degree of waiting around to a PbP game. By that, I mean, if Lanna wants to tell someone something, it requires waiting on two players to log in and post instead of just one, since there's a translator intermediary needed.

That said, I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just pointing out the downside of going the more "realistic" route. It might be possible to just have an agreement that if Lanna says something, Voe or whoever automatically translates it for the rest of us.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm
I don't recall if Sarenda and Lanna even met prior to Hoth, let alone if she understands Shyriiwook. Voe can speak to Lanna telepathically, but I don't recall if the game/canon mentions if they read minds. (That ability would be abusive as hell in a RPG, IMO). As for the two humans, Vesper is unlikely to have ever met a Wookiee before seeing Chewbacca, as Ralltiir is a Core World with billions of humans. Kzar probably never met a Wookiee before seeing Chewbacca either. Wookiees were not commonly seen traveling the galaxy during the Republic (unlike Ithorians, say) and even less so after the rise of the Empire. Rodians, Twi'leks, Duros, Devaronians, Zabraks, Trandoshans, et cetera are common as dirt as far as non-humans go.

The rulebook is trying to simplify everything, but it does so at the expense of roleplay. Why everyone should know the speech of a species that has no vocal apparatus able to speak Basic makes no sense except as a metagame mechanic.
As far as I understand Polis Massans cannot read minds. They can just speak into another's. In regard to understanding Lanna I think Voe at least would. She had a well traveled childhood as well as career so far. It would make sense for her to know probably a little Shyriiwook maybe not completely fluent but a little.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 pm
In regard to understanding Lanna I think Voe at least would. She had a well traveled childhood as well as career so far. It would make sense for her to know probably a little Shyriiwook maybe not completely fluent but a little.
I agree.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 pm
Can we all understand Lanna? Or have we established that only one of us does? The rulebook answer is that all PCs in the party are able to understand one another, but I know Shado had floated the idea of only one other PC understanding his character. Did we ever settle on one or the other?
My recollection of the movies is that Chewie rarely explained things in lengthy detail and that everyone else had a basic understanding of what he meant by his sounds, gestures, and context clues. Han understood Chewie when he explained finding 3PO in a junk pile, but I don't recall any conversations Chewie had with others where they didn't pick up on his meaning by context clues and gestures.

I default to the CRB, but part of the fun in playing a wookiee is their unique form of communication. It is part of the Star Wars experience and should be played out. I rather encourage playing that out, but not to the point of multiplying PBP posts solely for the sake of translation (as SavB mentioned). The exception would be (for example) some NPC interaction where they ask what the wookiee means....followed by a PC attempt at translation and wookiee confirmation/approval. That'd be fun to play out. So, there might be times where we have some IC 'guesswork' trying to figure out a rather lengthy Lanna rant or explanation. I believe it adds to the game experience.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm
part of the fun in playing a wookiee is their unique form of communication. It is part of the Star Wars experience and should be played out. I rather encourage playing that out, but not to the point of multiplying PBP posts solely for the sake of translation (as SavB mentioned). The exception would be (for example) some NPC interaction where they ask what the wookiee means....followed by a PC attempt at translation and wookiee confirmation/approval. That'd be fun to play out. So, there might be times where we have some IC 'guesswork' trying to figure out a rather lengthy Lanna rant or explanation. I believe it adds to the game experience.
Thank you. Well said.

PS - species names are capitalized. Wookiee, Rodian, Trandoshan, Twi'lek, etc.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 am

Growing up on Nar Shaddaa would have given Sarenda a chance to learn how to communicate with many species. So I would say she could understand her.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 am

Trip wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 am
Growing up on Nar Shaddaa would have given Sarenda a chance to learn how to communicate with many species. So I would say she could understand her.
But did Sarenda travel to Hoth via Voe's ship? With Lanna? That was never settled.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:10 am

I’m ok with that.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 am

Great. That's (finally) settled. The non-human half of the party understands the Wookiee, at least passably. Should be enough. And Voe and Sarenda have known Lanna at least for the few days (could be weeks) that it tales to get to Hoth from Nar Shaddaa.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:23 am

That works. Maybe after an adventure or two, the rest of us can come to understand her.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 am

At least the Colonel's reply, insensitive as it was, wasn't as insulting as the major's deliberately provocative comment about Sarenda's homeworld.
Per Wookieepedia...."But unlike Coruscant—which was only relatively rundown and dangerous on the lower and under levels of the world city—Nar Shaddaa was filthy, polluted, and infested with crime everywhere.
I think it's fair to assume that Nar Shaddaa has a terrible reputation in the Galaxy. Insulting? Out of place? Yeah, it could be taken poorly by someone from there. It also shows that Major Derlin has some personality (blundering? undisciplined? rude? superiority complex? awkward sense of humor? etc...). Sarenda may or may not be aware of it's reputation. To her, living that way may be the norm. Or, she may wish to add, "It's not as bad as everyone says." Or, maybe it enhances her reputation? "You know it!" I like to give a PC something to deal with (in their background) and let them have options with how to deal with it. :D

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Lanna is ignorant about the Anoat sector but seems to recall something about the planet Mexeluine...
Kallachitlanna; Uprising; Knowledge check:
1 Failure, 1 Advantage

Kallachitlanna; Uprising; Knowledge check:
0 Success, 2 Threats

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kallachitlanna; Uprising; correction:
1 Success, 1 Advantage

... yields a net of 1 Success, 1 Threat for knowing something about Mexeluine

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Vesper comes up blank on the Anoat sector:

Vesper Reshari; Uprising; Knowledge (Outer Rim): Anoat:
1 Failure, 4 Advantages

Can those 4 Advantages be used to boost someone else's roll? Or my own on the planet? Maybe it's on the tip of Vesper's tongue but she can't remember exactly, hence the boosts.

Another use might be that Vesper recognizes something significant about the planet's name (the "minor but potentially useful information" the skill description calls out). The -ine suffix indicates it was settled by this or that group in this or that era, which might give us a clue as to the inhabitants and the relative level of "civilization" there.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm

sarenda; Uprising; KN check:
1 Success, 0 Advantage

sarenda; Uprising; KN check:
3 Failures, 3 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Sorry I haven't been on in a few days schoolwork is hitting me hard right before Thanksgiving break. I'll be on and off this week. I'll try and catch up now.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Anoat Knowledge Check (Fixed): 4eA+1eS+2eD 5 successes, 3 threat
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mexeluine Knowledge Check: 4eA+1eB+1eS+3eD 0 successes, 2 threat
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Must've spent some time in the Anoat system but nothing on Mexeluine. Lots of threat too.

Also I'll put Svae's response to Rook in my next IC post

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Voe and Sarenda both succeeded on the Anoat sector. Lanna, oddly enough, is the only one (so far) to succeed on Mexeluine.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: 4 Advs

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm
Vesper comes up blank on the Anoat sector:
Can those 4 Advantages be used to boost someone else's roll? Or my own on the planet? Maybe it's on the tip of Vesper's tongue but she can't remember exactly, hence the boosts.
Another use might be that Vesper recognizes something significant about the planet's name (the "minor but potentially useful information" the skill description calls out). The -ine suffix indicates it was settled by this or that group in this or that era, which might give us a clue as to the inhabitants and the relative level of "civilization" there.
No boosts to the Mexeluine check or anyone else's, but you will recall "minor or trivial information". Forthcoming post will indicate what that details.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Knowledge Check Results

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 am

Still awaiting Kzar's rolls (2 Dice), though not likely to reveal more info than Voe on Anoat Sector (5 successes). He still has a chance to add to the Mexeluine knowledge base.

Players know the following (pending Kzar's checks and Vesper's Mexeluine check). How and what they volunteer is up to each PC. One could also possibly tell something about the 'galactic geography' of the area with an Astrogation check {{EDIT: Difficulty: 2Diff + 2 Setback dice}}}. Not required, but could 'add' to the situation if one wants to try.

Vesper...
Spoiler:
Your knowledge on the Anoat Sector fails you. However, you think the Ugnaught species has a home world nearby, as do the Nothoiin, a gold-toned race of humanoids. Perhaps some gray-toned humanoids out here, as well.
Sarenda...
Spoiler:
Most of the systems in the Anoat Sector are mining colonies (crystals, ores, and the like) and not very sophisticated. The major crossroads of hyperspace lanes lies at Gerrenthum, the largest commerce planet in the system. You've never heard of Mexeluine (3F), but recall (3Adv) that there are a two main centers of commerce in the galactic 'north' of the sector.
Lanna...
Spoiler:
Lanna concurs with Kettel’s assessment of Mexeluine. It is, indeed, a commerce center. Lanna has heard that it is a relatively new commerce center (less than 200 years) and remains a relatively honest place to do business, unlike some of the older systems. It lays on the Corellian Trade Spine. Perhaps she can step forward and indicate such on the 3D map? You don't recall that the Anoat Sector (1 Adv) has any significant Imperial presence.
Voe...
Spoiler:
Most of the systems in the Anoat Sector are mining colonies (crystals, ores, and the like) and not very sophisticated. The major crossroads of hyperspace lanes lies at Gerrenthum, the largest commerce planet in the system. It is the current sector capital. Thousands of ship pass through there every hour. There will surely be a hyperspace stop there before continuing to Mexeluine.

Additionally, The Anoat Sector used to be called the Javin Sector over 1,000 years ago. It was annexed by the old Republic at about that time. (3 Threats) The Republic, you think, pushed the unfriendly inhabitants out. The system contains two vast nebulas (Kiax & Ivax), which caused it to go relatively unexplored for thousands of years. Since the time when hyperspace lanes were plotted through there, several planets have been rendered uninhabitable due to toxic waste (Including the planet Anoat, the former sector capital).

Major races include the Ugnaughts, gold-toned Nothoiin, and the Lutrillians. The Empire gets a relatively small supply of crystals from a system in the sector. Otherwise, its presence is minimal.

Mexeluine. (2 Thr) You never heard of it, but it does not sound safe to you. You're pretty sure there is a criminal element at work in the Anoat Sector.

Kal Drahr
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Kal Drahr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:51 am

0 Success but 1 Advantage
orokos.com/roll/568512

Return to “Discussion”