OOC: The Assault on Ione

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC: The Assault on Ione

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Mass Combat #1
Without the two turrets in play, two Setback Dice were removed from the roll. Also, the Grounded TIE's have not come into play, which would tilt force-size in the Empire's favor. The Boost dice, it turns out, were the difference in the roll. :D

With a success, the Difficulty of the attack is reduced by '1'. Three Advantages? Up to you all. below is a chart. Suggestions include:
1 Advantage: Add Boost to next combat check; All PC’s Recover 1 Strain; Notice and Enemy Commander on the Battlefield;
2 Advantages: Battlefield change (downed debris) affords the PC’s Downgrade the Difficulty to next actions when utilizing this opportunity.
3 Advantages: Battlefield change (downed debris) affords the PC’s Upgrade to next actions when utilizing this opportunity.

Spoiler:
GM; Uprising; Mass Combat Roll #1:
1 Success, 3 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mass Combat Adv-Thr.JPG
Mass Combat Adv-Thr.JPG (61.17 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:17 am

I'm personally a fan of "the active unit disables an important piece of enemy hardware, destroying a heavy weapon or piece of equipment that provided the enemy forces an advantage in the battle.

as for player actions, i'm down for abandoning this turret now that we have used it to destroy the other one, What I really want to do now is find a way to destroy those tie's on the ground, or blow up the ground forces baracks that we singled out in the comm tower. the one with the two comanders inside of it. I had wanted to use the turret to blast it but it is stuck and also it cant hit things on the ground.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Having a snippet in the top of the router could be useful. Hell is working in the pilots. Without those the ties are useless. There are two more transport vehicles to get pilots to the ties.

There are also the two fuel ships. We know the imperial ship is low on fuel and we want that fuel so it could be beneficial to secure them.

Also we are now on a Clock. The imperial ships will have trapped in the attack. No way our Jammers work out that far.

Iirc the vehicle you have control over has a turrent weapon. That could provide some fun as well, if you want to go after ground troops.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm open for taking out some important Imperial materiel with the advantages. Maybe the tower we disabled takes something out with collateral damage. As for what we do next, I'm not sure how this works. Do we get to do another segment of play before the next mass combat roll? Or is it basically, we all get one action, and then it's the next mass combat roll?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah I'm confused on initiative also.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:40 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 pm
I'm open for taking out some important Imperial materiel with the advantages. Maybe the tower we disabled takes something out with collateral damage. As for what we do next, I'm not sure how this works. Do we get to do another segment of play before the next mass combat roll? Or is it basically, we all get one action, and then it's the next mass combat roll?
swrider wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:08 pm
Yeah I'm confused on initiative also.
A Mass Combat roll will occur intermittently. It will be, gameplay-wise, during or after things we try to do. So, the PC's do all that they can to ensure success and the battle rages on in the background. If the PC's do something significant (like take out turrets, etc...), then the big MC roll is affected positively. As the GM, I will throw in another check when I think the time is right.

We're out of structured time right now. PC's can decide on a course of action.

For 3 Adv's, I could have The Serator 'flee' (removed from battlefield). It'd remove a Setback die to the MC roll. It is out of fighters (12, I think, it carries). Without backup from below and no communication, it leaves.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 pm

I have an idea, but you may not allow it for so few triumphs. The serrator had been without communications for a while and they were waiting impatiently for fuel. Since there was no indications of trouble perhaps the commander of the serrator had boarded a transport ship (lambda) and was coming to the base.

That being said. The serator fleeing the scene would be good in the short term. We need to secure the fuel, blow the place and get out of here fast.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:52 pm

To make an assumption, I would say that the tower PC's leap into the speeder truck and head towards where Helios is. Helios continues to target the transports (which is a matter of a hand-wave since they have no armor). I could pick up a combat encounter there where the 4 pilot transports have just been destroyed and the troops are reacting to the "rogue" AT-ST. If that is an agreeable skip-ahead, then everyone could roll initiative (Cool).

The speeder truck PC's can tell that the AT-ST must be Helios because it is firing on Imperial vehicles and troops. Helios, OTOH, cannot tell the difference between speeder trucks. In the confusion, smoke, and such, he can make an EASY + Setback die Perception check to identify the correct one based on it coming from the tower. While firing, he lost sight of that direction for a few moments.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:56 pm

The Heavy-A Speeder Truck has the following stats:
Silhouette 3; Armor 1; Speed 1; Handling -2; Defense 0/0; WT 10; ST 8;
Top Gun = Light-Repeating Blaster (Ranged-Heavy skill) 11D, cr3, long range, Autofire, Pierce 1

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 am

Lol sounds good to me. Can I get a boost from dennies?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:47 am

Hell; Uprising; Perception:
3 Successes, 1 Threat

ImageImageImageImageImage

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 am

Hell; Uprising; Cool:
2 Successes, 1 Advantage

ImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 am

swrider wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 am
Lol sounds good to me. Can I get a boost from dennies?
Either way, you made it. You know which one is on your side. Otherwise, it'd of had to play out during the melee. (One Threat) You miss something on the battlefield, maybe some pilots slip through on foot around a way you weren't looking.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:51 am

Why are we reconvening with Hell? Is it so we can jointly go after the commanders in the barracks? (We don't know they're still in the barracks, actually, I suppose.)

Since we have some time before the next mass combat roll, we could also try to fix our turret and shoot down some TIEs with it.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 am

That could be fun. I think ds just want to know what the plan is. Hell is trying to keep the ties out of the game.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 am

So we’ve left the tower, I like the plan of destroying the pilots.
Maybe we should head to the barracks after meeting up with hell and just take everyone there out.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 am
So we’ve left the tower, I like the plan of destroying the pilots.
Not necessarily. I think DS is just speculating on what we might decide to do.
Maybe we should head to the barracks after meeting up with hell and just take everyone there out.
I don't now why anyone would be left in the barracks now that hostilities have started. Wouldn't they all be scrambling to stations?

I think Vesper would prefer to check on our turret first. See how hard (and time-consuming) a repair job would be. If it looked like hours of work, then, sure, let's split. But if it's a quick rewire, she'd want to stay in the turret and shoot down some TIEs!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am

I don't now why anyone would be left in the barracks now that hostilities have started. Wouldn't they all be scrambling to stations?
That drones on if they know something is Happening. The the barracks is armored they may have not heard it just heard the explosions. If not someone would have had to go get them.

Chances are that most of them were sent out with our distraction and the other at st.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

@SanguineAngel, any preference on where we go/what we do next? Fix the turret and shoot TIEs? Infiltrate the barracks? (We could totally steal some stormtrooper armor and pull off some sort of subterfuge.)

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Personally, it's tempting to fix the turret - it's a powerful weapon that rips through armour and could really help our allies in the sky.

However, our ultimate objective is to secure the base so that we can safely steal/reclaim the fuel reserves and we shouldn't lose sight of that. I can't remember if Tye intends to deliver troops onto the ground. I would certainly hope he is and if so - it'd probably be best to make sure the skies are clear for the transport.

If there's no help coming on the ground then, sure - hitting the barracks and taking out as many troops as possible would seem wise but we might be better heading straight for the 2 fuel transports and trying to get them off the ground - as I doubt we could hold the entire compound against the Commander and his troops when they return.

@DeepSpacer would you mind giving us a refresher on Tye's part in the planned assault?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm
Personally, it's tempting to fix the turret - it's a powerful weapon that rips through armour and could really help our allies in the sky.

However, our ultimate objective is to secure the base so that we can safely steal/reclaim the fuel reserves and we shouldn't lose sight of that. I can't remember if Tye intends to deliver troops onto the ground. I would certainly hope he is and if so - it'd probably be best to make sure the skies are clear for the transport.

If there's no help coming on the ground then, sure - hitting the barracks and taking out as many troops as possible would seem wise but we might be better heading straight for the 2 fuel transports and trying to get them off the ground - as I doubt we could hold the entire compound against the Commander and his troops when they return.

DeepSpacer would you mind giving us a refresher on Tye's part in the planned assault?
Sure, the turret kill any small starship in one shot and can devastate bigger ships, but it is slow-firing (1) and is of little use (every other round) against TIE's.

The precise plans of Cpt Tye were not given. I left it open. Suffice it to say, "the (pirate) fleet was to attack, land, and raid" the fuel depot. I suppose that ships will be landing at some point. I would think that "control of the skies" is of foremost importance, then any landing would follow that to take what they can get.

No, I wouldn't expect taking on the whole base, but with some forces departed due to the ruse, I have a GM-prepared remnant to "take on" to establish control of the airfields. That'll be our confrontation as the two portions of the group re-join. :D

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am

OK, I think it's the timescale of turns that's throwing me. The Slow-Firing quality shouldn't matter too much in that a Mass Combat round doesn't have to come immediately, so it's really up to you, @DeepSpacer, how long we'll have before the next wave of Mass Combat strikes. So, we theoretically might have a chance to get the turret repaired and take a couple of potshots at TIEs.

That said, it sounds like the other options is to head toward the airfield and fight off Imperial pilots before they can get into their TIE fighters. I can see now how that's potentially more effective at keeping the skies clear of fighters. Now that that's clarified, I think I'm board to do that!

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Works for me, shall we blow this joint? If so, Oona's gunna destroy as much equipment in the tower as possible before we leave.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm
Works for me, shall we blow this joint? If so, Oona's gunna destroy as much equipment in the tower as possible before we leave.
Ditto, except Vesper will look for anything useful -- perhaps stimpacks or grenades stashed here, or on the bodies of our enemies down below.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Each Stormtrooper had two fragmentation grenades each, so six total grenades available. I'd say that too well-placed grenades can disable the turret for good. Just consider them spent, no rolls.

Based on Helios perception roll, it looks like both sides of good guys recognize each other in the vehicles they would currently be in. I hope to get something up this evening regarding the rest.

Return to “Discussion”