OOC - "The Ison Corridor"

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Re: OOC - "The Ison Corridor"

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed May 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Nice! Well, naturally our primary goal is a lead on the rebel transport so I imagine our success translates into a lead.

For advantage - well, Oona was particularly on the look out for potential allies that could be leveraged if required. That could be anything - a disgruntled uncaught foreman willing to supply the red dawn with expensive upgrades to stick it to the man? The leader of the Jannisaries, pissed at the Empire and willing to listen to plans to strike back at the Ione fuel depot?

Perhaps it's some juicy information about that trader we can use to our advantage during negotiations?

Just a few thoughts!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed May 02, 2018 2:18 pm

The freighter would be good to know about, but Hell never considered it his primary goal unless he was ordered to. He was looking for information on smuggler hyper-lane routes, merchants interested in our cargo, potential allies and then information about the freighter. He still thinks it is risky to ask too much or anything about the rebels and would be careful to do so. That being said if the opportunity presented itself he would listen and possibly fish out any information about the freighter, but would not do so it if had the possibility of endangering the crew.

That being said, He would consider any successes along any of those lines a success and perhaps the best use of that roll (if DS is amicable) is that we find a rebel stationed on the station who can provide us with some or most of that information. He would be an ally but probably not one that would join us. (This may require a triumph though)

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed May 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Ah, sorry my misunderstanding. It was the reason I asked for the roll initially so I presumed it was an extension of that. However, leads on any of those things would be grand.

In total agreement regarding not being to overt about the rebel connection. I think I also mentioned that in my initial post but I guess it would have been down to the dice just how successful we would be in not arousing suspicion.

Anyhow, hopefully all this gives DS something to play with!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Yeah I would be happy with most anything (if Hell gets shot on this roll I'll be disapointed ;) ). Whatever DS has in mind to advance the story.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 pm

This is a group roll though, effected by all our stats and talents, realistically it would be effected by what each of us are looking for, I’d imagine if I were ds I’d take oonas interest in the janisaries, thino’s interest in the kraken crew, and hell’s interest in the hyperspace lanes all into account.

Also I have made an ic post so that we can dialogue while we wait for ds to come up with stuff.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 pm
This is a group roll though, effected by all our stats and talents,...
This first part reads as if you are aggravated. If that is the case I apologize.

We have all specified what we are characters are looking for and that we are fine with whatever DS has in mind to move the story forward. So the point is moot, but three characters each looking for different things should be three different checks not a "group" check. The way I see our "group" check is we were searching for exactly what we were ordered to look for; anything that could help.
The discussion here wasn't so much on trying to dictate what information we would find, but to clarify how the information was collected. I.E we didn't run around asking questions about the transport or rebels to every single person, or possibly at all. We may have continued a conversation if an NPC brought it up but we did not want to make ourselves appear particularly interested in that.

The Janisaries are probably the avenue the characters would have taken. If they run the station it would be normal to ask some basic questions about them to start a conversation.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Not aggravated at all, sorry if that is the mood I conveyed, I was mostly trying to present a way of looking at the check that we were making together, to help it make sense that all of our stats were going into it.
Last edited by Boutrose Saba-Norr on Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

That's probably overthinking it a bit. StreetWise is how you get around places, knowing where to go, and knowing what to say.

Regarding what individuals are looking for, what fun is it to play an RPG when your character doesn't (ultimately) find what they're looking for? I tried to incorporate things from everybody into the story line at some point: Duty, motivation, background, talents, skills. The StreetWise check is to see how you get around the station: like veteran spacefarers or like a bunch of tourist newbs. The result lets me know how to make those Interests come about.

Regarding group checks, I don't like them much but it is far less time consuming than having 5-6 players roll individual checks two or three times a session. But you're right, if a check was going to determine whether or not you found something, then individual checks would be warranted.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm
Not aggravated at all, sorry if that is the mood I conveyed, I was mostly trying to present a way of looking at the check that we were making together, to help it make sense that all of our stats were going into it.
Written text makes it extremely hard to convey mood. It is such a big problem that my school for both undergraduate and graduate level (online) actual recommends the use of emojis if you think your statements could be misconstrued (I have never seen anyone actually use one though). I mostly just wanted to make sure people weren't getting aggravated because gaming is supposed to be fun!

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm
Wed May 02, 2018 6:52 pm
Written text makes it extremely hard to convey mood. It is such a big problem that my school for both undergraduate and graduate level (online) actual recommends the use of emojis if you think your statements could be misconstrued (I have never seen anyone actually use one though). I mostly just wanted to make sure people weren't getting aggravated because gaming is supposed to be fun!
Yea I’ve had this issue a lot, and yet I’ve never really learned how to use emojis to fix it lol.

As for how we will find the information, I don’t think we need to illustrate it specifically, by that I mean, I don’t think we need to say we ask this person this and this and get this information.
Thino is effectively as close to a private investigator that this system has so he could litterally be just snooping around or chatting up random individuals inocuously and the like, while Hell is a latent force sensitive and the way he could be doing it is through his “gut”

Regardless though ds said that we don’t need to get too technical about it and I think we could have more fun just role playing it out til he gives us the results.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm

@Matt Skywalker , I've set you up so Ronin can introduce himself. I'm not sure what your role is on the ship in our cover story.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu May 03, 2018 12:10 am

Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm
Regardless though ds said that we don’t need to get too technical about it and I think we could have more fun just role playing it out til he gives us the results.
Yeah, it's never fun to walk around a new place 'D&D dungeon style'..."You come to a 4-way intersection....there's a room with some chairs....then another 4-way intersection...there's some people talking...." I also want to avoid throwing the PC's into a cantina without a purpose. That's always a Table/PBP dead end. I made a list of your (all) suggestions (and will add to it) and plan to work many of them into the story. Tonight's kind of busy IRL and I hope to get more done tomorrow. The Succ/Advs for Streetwise makes it a great way to decide how things go. A poor roll would've meant searching all day and getting either nothing or misinformation.
Spoiler:
CRB:
- "Reduce time or funds required to obtain item, information or service."
- "Reveal additional rumours or alternative sources."
BTW, I was glad to see a DP used on the roll. :D This Ison portion will be mostly RP'ing and not combat (unless something unexpected happens). I might of liked to have an Imperial raid, but we just finished all of that. I don't want to wear it out. ;) Sometimes groups are hesitant to use DP's outside of combat. I recommend doing so from this point forward on important rolls.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri May 04, 2018 4:53 pm

@Matt Skywalker, we lose you, buddy?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri May 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Hey guys, just want to give a heads up, I'm up in the Isle of arran in Scotland over Sunday and monday where signal is... Bad. So I may not be able to get on to post during a lot of that time. Its only one night though, so should be okay beginning Sunday and end of Monday.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri May 04, 2018 8:28 pm

@SanguineAngel Thanks for the check-in. Other than an occasional Saturday, things in PBP have been pretty slow Fri-Sun.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 pm

@DeepSpacer, is there any convenient place we might put the details of our cover story? I keep having to search through the threads to remember what cargo we're carrying, where we picked it up, and where we allegedly hail from. (Seems we have clothing, machine parts, and medical supplies from Mexeluine, and we were ostensibly bringing them to the mining colony of Burnin Konn, but it might be nice to have a dedicated thread to indicate these sorts of things. Perhaps as part of the thread on party resources?)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat May 05, 2018 2:23 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 pm
DeepSpacer, is there any convenient place we might put the details of our cover story? I keep having to search through the threads to remember what cargo we're carrying, where we picked it up, and where we allegedly hail from. (Seems we have clothing, machine parts, and medical supplies from Mexeluine, and we were ostensibly bringing them to the mining colony of Burnin Konn, but it might be nice to have a dedicated thread to indicate these sorts of things. Perhaps as part of the thread on party resources?)
Sure. It is a good idea. I am short on time this weekend, though. But you have the core of it down. I'll see what I can do.

Boutrose has been busy and Matt has not been too consistent. I will work around rather than stall out in a scene. I can always work-around to get things done. :D

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 pm

The force tracker only displays in the discussion thread (If DS wants it in the IC thread I can do that). I clicked the force tracker after checking the last update and seeing it had not been updated yet for his DP flip. Last update was May 2nd.

It appears the pool may have been wrong or at least different than What DS said. You rolled YYY with a dp flip. by what DS posted it should have been YYg. But I haven't check the character sheet so you could be right.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat May 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Oh wow you raise a good point! I just assumed DS was using my stats and offering to add DP. I really should have checked my own sheet before rolling! BRB!

Edit: Yep you're totally right, I have charm 1 not 2. I'll roll a green for replacement duties shortly

Also thanks. I AM blind. I flipped the point.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat May 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Done and update my roll. Hopefully that's okay by DS

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat May 05, 2018 7:15 pm

So, Vesper knows it's an astrolabe, but what happens due to those 2 Threat? Does Mazlum see her staring and get upset about it? Or is her knowledge about the thing slightly flawed based on what you put in the spoiler box, DS? Something else?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Made it by 5 successes, so little consequence. No need to un-do or re-do it. It was quite a roll!

I did use your stats then offer the DP. Maybe i typed it YYG instead of YGG.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat May 05, 2018 7:19 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:15 pm
So, Vesper knows it's an astrolabe, but what happens due to those 2 Threat? Does Mazlum see her staring and get upset about it? Or is her knowledge about the thing slightly flawed based on what you put in the spoiler box, DS? Something else?
you know what it is and what it does, but perhaps you claim it is from an incorrect planet or incorrect model type or manufacturer.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 pm

We might be able to get these guys to help us hit the fuel depot. Or at least to get them to hit it without us. Hell wouldn't do it solo, but he could arrange a meeting with the Captain.
What does everyone think? any other Ideas for what Hell should suggest!

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat May 05, 2018 10:46 pm

sorry for my absence guys, I'm trying to come on and check the stuff as I can, but I'm having a lot of trouble focusing enough to actually come up with something to respond with. I'm going to try and get something down in response to all this as soon as I can, I'm sorry other players in my team have had to pick up the slack, but rider and angel I really appreciate you both holding the fort.

@DeepSpacer somthing i wanted to ask but then forgot to because my brain doesn't like working right now is what is the relation between captain tye and the kragen's crew? I had thought that Kragen was the name of the crew's captain, but now I'm realizing it might have been the ship and tye could be the captain. I meant to ask as soon as he showed up but got side tracked.

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “Discussion”