OOC: The Assault on Ione

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
ImageUse LSUse DS * Update
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC: The Assault on Ione

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Running to get help and warn others? Sure. However, the other turret is WAY across the airfields...extreme range. And, they know NOTHING of your plans to target the turret. We are on the barracks side of the airfield.
Oh, right. I forgot about the difference between personal scale and vehicle scale. Still, they may have a transport we don't know about. I think Vesper would support targeting another turret, but I'm happy to go with Boutrose and Sanguine's opinions if they both are leaning toward shooting down TIEs.

And once we get to shooting, how do you want us to roll things, DS? One Gunnery check? None of us has the skill, so if you allowed two of us to assist and two uses of aim maneuver, we'd be looking at ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage. Sounds like assisting while shooting the turret would potentially take an Athletics check, as well, to get into position. But if no assistance is possible versus the TIEs, it goes down to just ImageImage, but one of us could check to see if the gunnery crew is scrambling to a transport of some kind.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 am

@SavageBob
Ah, I forgot I hadn't posted it.

One person may man the firing controls and one will need to operate the rotation of turret (Vesper and Thino each have 3 Agility). It takes two people to sufficiently fire this weapon, a third to help coordinate. Range is Medium, Planetary for the weapon, so it will be EASY on the difficulty. You can Aim twice, yes, whomever is firing the weapon takes the strain.

Oona may make a Fire Discipline Leadership Check (HARD). On a success, add a Boost die to the next attack. Triumphs & Advantages can be spent to activate weapon qualities (not much to activate here, though). Two extra Successes mean you can get the same benefit on the next attack. The Turbolaser is large and bulky, ill-equipped for targeting smaller starfighters (Slow-Firing 1, lacking the Linked feature). However, anything it hits will be instantly vaporized (Breach 2).

Turbolaser (Light) 9D, crit 3, Medium Range, Breach 2, Slow Firing 1

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 am

Not to be over confident but Hell's and Dennies attack should really slow down those pilots from reaching their ties. Three hits 10-armor and two at 11- armor. I doubt those transport vehicles have much in the way of armor or hull threshold so hopefully they took out three or possibly even all four of the pilot transport vehicles.

Also I am passing a boost dice to whomever goes next. @DeepSpacer does that go to the group at the turret or does it stay with Dennies and Hell? Either way could make sense, though I would prefer it go to the turret attack.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm

I'll wait for @Boutrose Saba-Norr and @SanguineAngel to weigh in on whether they want to shoot down TIEs or the other turret. Vesper's instinct is to run out the safety hatch after the other crew, but not if we decide to shoot down the ships. :)

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm

We've discussed shooting the other turret before, and I do think that should be our next target as it'll help preserve our allied assets. However, in RP terms, that turret isn't an immediate threat - since it's not currently shooting, unlike the TIEs which are. So I'd say shoot the TIEs this round. Try for the Turret next round.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm
We've discussed shooting the other turret before, and I do think that should be our next target as it'll help preserve our allied assets. However, in RP terms, that turret isn't an immediate threat - since it's not currently shooting, unlike the TIEs which are. So I'd say shoot the TIEs this round. Try for the Turret next round.
Not an immediate threat to you in the turret, but definitely a threat to the incoming pirate ships. Plus, slow-firing makes the guns less effective against starfighters. The other turret will fire against them.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Also, SanguineAngel brings up a good point. Are we expecting the mass combat to take several rounds to resolve? I've never run one or been in one, so I'm not sure how long they typically last. In other words, will we have time to readjust and aim for different targets, or is this a one-and-done sort of thing?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm
Also, SanguineAngel brings up a good point. Are we expecting the mass combat to take several rounds to resolve? I've never run one or been in one, so I'm not sure how long they typically last. In other words, will we have time to readjust and aim for different targets, or is this a one-and-done sort of thing?
The whole idea of Mass Combat is to resolve large conflicts with just a few rolls. A MC roll is a roll that covers an amount of time. It could be one, or a few checks. How often they happen depends on how the story goes. I plan on having several. Depends on how the checks go. Statistically, things start pretty even. It will take a long time to resolve the battle, giving the PC's plenty of opportunities to act on the ground. You will have several opportunities to act. Continue with the turret, or perhaps, leave it after a while and move on to pursuing a fleeing Imperial Leader, assist Helios, or whatever opportunities present themselves.

The idea is that things in the MC affect the PC's and things the PC's do can possibly affect the MC check. In the narrative, you might see a Despair on a MC roll result in a key ship or leader being lost (something the PC's might see in the story). Alternatively, a Triumph may mean that we see the tide turning or an opportunity opens for the PC's to act.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 am

I'm good. I'm ready to roll once @Boutrose Saba-Norr and @SanguineAngel weigh in on the turret-versus-TIE question. I think it's 1 vote turrets (me) and 1 vote TIEs (Sanguine), leaving Boutrose as the tiebreaker.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 pm

I am for shooting the other turret
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Cool; I'll have Vesper climb up onto the turret as DS suggested. DS, let me know if/when to make a check. I could see Vigilance (if the gunnery crew is still within shooting distance), Athletics (to climb) and Perception (to spot the shot) all potentially playing a role.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 am

Any check needed for Vesper to help with the Gunnery check? Perception? Athletics to get into place?

And how far are the gunnery crew members if Vesper wants to pick 'em off?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 am

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 am
Any check needed for Vesper to help with the Gunnery check? Perception? Athletics to get into place?
Not really. I wasn't going to require a roll for something that was aiding the check anyways. Aiding as in, not huge penalties for firing blindly. Still, the two SB's apply for manually aiming.
SavageBob wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 am
And how far are the gunnery crew members if Vesper wants to pick 'em off?
Long distance. However, you're directing the turret shot with your action. You can shoot the round afterwards.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 am
Long distance. However, you're directing the turret shot with your action. You can shoot the round afterwards.
OK. Wasn't sure if Vesper was able to get into place in time for this check.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 am

Darn I was hoping to get a third hit out of using linked. No such luck.

Still two of 4 down ain't bad.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:47 am

alright so i'll have thino roll after aiming twice

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 am

so good news is that I succeeded on the attack with 6 advantages, the bad news is that I got a despair.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 am
so good news is that I succeeded on the attack with 6 advantages, the bad news is that I got a despair.
That's enough to crit the targeted turret, with ImageImageImage left over for something else. But that Image, though— :shock:

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Interesting roll. :twisted:
Busy day today. Hope to get something up this evening or tomorrow.

I had thought ahead, that a Despair meant the bolt went through the Comm Tower. But, not really a bad thing for the PC's. Maybe the 2nd turret collapses on something? Blocks something?

needless to say, the 2nd turret is toast.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Though this is shooting ourselves in the foot - it could mean a malfunction in the tower or a stray shot from one of the TIES that needs repair before we can fire again? Although, with slow firing it would be at least a turn before we can fire anyway - but this would be quite dramatic! And despairs don't have to be punitive, as long as they're fun.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:56 pm
Though this is shooting ourselves in the foot - it could mean a malfunction in the tower or a stray shot from one of the TIES that needs repair before we can fire again? Although, with slow firing it would be at least a turn before we can fire anyway - but this would be quite dramatic! And despairs don't have to be punitive, as long as they're fun.
I was thinking that the generators probably blew up. Like an extra surge of energy made the bolt extra powerful (crit) but that it also shorted all power to the tower.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Another couple of possibilities: The shot catches the attention of a few TIEs, and they turn toward our turret to attack it, or the shot causes our turret to lurch and forces Vesper to make an Athletics check or risk falling (hopefully not a distance that means insta-death if she fails!)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm

The turrents could also be stuck. Rewiring a mechanics check before it can be repositioned.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:14 am

Any decision on that Despair yet, DS?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:39 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm
The turrents could also be stuck. Rewiring a mechanics check before it can be repositioned.
I like this one. It fits the narrative.

Return to “Discussion”