IC - "The Ison Corridor"

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Re: IC - "The Ison Corridor"

Post by SanguineAngel » Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Oona raises her eyebrow, "Isn't there someone who speaks for them? A foreman? Someone you'd ordinarily approach to discuss work matters?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Thino stares out at the shantytown arms folded and a look of disgust on his face.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun May 20, 2018 11:48 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm
Oona raises her eyebrow, "Isn't there someone who speaks for them? A foreman? Someone you'd ordinarily approach to discuss work matters?"
Kamar motions with his arm to one Ugnaught standing in the foreground. "That one. The one they call Yanik." he whispers to you.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:48 pm
Kamar motions with his arm to one Ugnaught standing in the foreground. "That one. The one they call Yanik." he whispers to you.
Yanik? thinks Vesper. I once knew an Ugnaught who looked just like that named Laurel. "You mind introducing us, Kamar?" she asks the Duros.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 pm

The extra successes (carried into extra situation) on the Charm check pay off as an awkward attempt at an introduction by Oona could have resulted in an unfortunate situation. Kamar, you think, was perhaps hoping to see us flounder before stepping in, using the situation to amuse himself since he's the kind of "friend" who like to play mean jokes on his allies. Kamar, winces at his failed attempt at playing a cruel joke, and then approaches the Ugnaughts. He approaches silently and bows, waiting on them. A subtle cooing is heard in response. Only then does he speak.

"These outsiders wish to speak to you." and he motions to Oona, Vesper, and Thino.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 am

Thino's Features soften and he lets his arms drop to his side after seeing the way that Kamar greeted the Ugnaughts,Maybe this ones not so bad

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed May 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Vesper stands by and shifts her weight clumsily, aware that she's one of the few Humans present. She waits for one of the others to greet the Ugnaught foreman.
Spoiler:
I think it's three Humans with Kettel. Not sure where Ronin is.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Oona approaches the one they call Yanik with care and, emulating Kamar, she bows - waiting for a sign of acceptance before speaking.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu May 24, 2018 1:28 am

He'll is feeling pretty confident as he makes his final pass.almost there. Just a little further! The adreneline running through his body keeping him hyped up.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu May 24, 2018 10:26 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:47 pm
Oona approaches the one they call Yanik with care and, emulating Kamar, she bows - waiting for a sign of acceptance before speaking.
You receive back the appropriate gesture. He appears ready to listen. "I may have to translate for them. They understand Basic, but communicate in their own language." says Kamar.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Oona nods at Kamar's suggestion but keeps her focus on Yanik. "Thank you for agreeing to receive us. We have come on behalf of Kamar's brother, Mazlum. He believes that you and your people are not fully committed to your work here on the station. Kamar seems to think otherwise. We wonder, what are your views on work and working conditions here?"

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 pm

The one called Yanik turns to Kamar, as if to complain. "Ugghhhhhh uhuyguh oooooott, ewerewt?"

Kamar replies, "No, no, no, of course your work is sufficient. We're NOT going to send you back to Gentes and we're NOT replacing you!" He then turns to Oona... "Sheeeesh, lady!!! Cause an "uprising", why don't ya???!!!!"

The second part of Oona's statement (the question) seems to have been drowned out by the first part of it with regards to what Yanik responded to. You may have to re-ask, clarify, or go to a different approach.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Oona bites her tongue in frustration. Well, it IS what I'm good at, after all... Druk! Would that I had my father's way with people... Alas, I must play to my own strengths.

The professional agitator steals her voice. She is no longer a supplicant. Instead she admonishes the Ugnaught leader brazenly. "Yanik, control yourself! You are the leader of these people! This is no time for panic, for rash thought, or rash action." She straightens and holds Yanik's gaze as an equal.

"If you truly wish to remain clear of Gentes you must gather yourself now and act with a clear head. Listen closely to me! It is obvious that Kamar, here, cares deeply about your welfare but can the same be said for Mazlum? He is clearly a businessman who cares primarily about his bottom line. He is the sort of man to hold repairs to our ship to ransom so that we might help him. You are in a fortunate position. You have here, in this room, a collection of people who have your best interests at heart. You are the ones who maintain this station. You speak from a position of advantage, just as Mazlum does. Now tell us, truthfully, about your conditions here. Do you work freely? Or for fear of the consequences? Are you treated fairly? Or are you taken advantage of? Mazlum was to maximise his workforce, but to do so, he must give you the liberty to work freely and happily."
Spoiler:
My intention here is to build a firm case for co-operation built around insinuated external threat, disciplinarian-ism and admonishment. I am hoping this demonstrates a use of Coercion to gain the Ugnaughts' co-operation in a) discovering how we can improve working and living conditions to improve output and b) get them to the negotiation table or reach a ready proposal for change.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 pm

The one called Yanik stands there in a uniform of gray and blue, then first addresses Kamar, on a personal level,
“Urrrumpf Uman!!!

…and then straightens his posture in a proud and defiant way (as if to “tell her this”). He then goes on a long dissertation to Kamar, which he translates...

"First of all, he asks, “Who is this mouthy human?” Secondly, he says that he is a mechanic, as was his father before him, and his father’s father before him. It is our blood profession. To ‘not work’ would dishonor them. Our ‘happiness’, as you call it, comes from our work. Our wages, however small, are vast riches compared to living in the swamps of Gentes, for fear of enslavement. We are a free and proud peoples.”

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 am

Oona steps closer to Yanik, "Yanik, you are not hearing me. There is a real danger that if you do no work with us now, you will end up back on Gentes."

"Working for pride is admirable but you must be prepared to stand your ground, lest others such as Mazlum take ever increasing liberties."

"Work with us now to negotiate a fair deal with Mazlum and show him that you are not afraid push back."
Spoiler:
OOC: I think @SavageBob is right and this falls more under leadership. Are you happy for me to roll and what would be the difficulty of such a check?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Spoiler:
Oona Braitano; Uprising; Coercion vs Yanik | Intimidation Rank 1:
4 Successes, 0 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Using Intimidating Rank 1 talent to take 1 strain and downgrade the difficulty.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 am
Oona steps closer to Yanik, "Yanik, you are not hearing me. There is a real danger that if you do no work with us now, you will end up back on Gentes." "Working for pride is admirable but you must be prepared to stand your ground, lest others such as Mazlum take ever increasing liberties." "Work with us now to negotiate a fair deal with Mazlum and show him that you are not afraid push back."
"We WILL NOT return to Gentes!" he says through Kamar. "You will keep us from being returned there?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Thino stepped forward and repeated the gesture that he saw oona and kamar make to yanik. Then he held up an arm in order to express his need for their calm,
You don’t need to worry, I won’t be letting anyone take you where you don’t want to go,” he said while rubbing the handle of his blaster with his other arm out of sight of the fuels, but possibly not to the ughnaught, hoping that he was getting his point across that they would be defended.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:54 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm
Thino stepped forward and repeated the gesture that he saw oona and kamar make to yanik. Then he held up an arm in order to express his need for their calm,
You don’t need to worry, I won’t be letting anyone take you where you don’t want to go,” he said while rubbing the handle of his blaster with his other arm out of sight of the fuels, but possibly not to the ughnaught, hoping that he was getting his point across that they would be defended.
Yanik scurries over to the side, a few feet away, grabs his toolbag and comes back to stand before you (Thino).

Kamar translates...."We trust you, Rodian. What can we do?"

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Vesper smiles to see the Ugnaught take to the Rodian so quickly. "Well, first of all, I'm a doctor, and I'd be happy to look after anyone here who might be sick or suffering from work-related injuries. Anyone need a bit of help in that department?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Thino cocks his head toward the doctor then nods and then reassures the Ugnaughts, "You can trust her, she's pretty good at her job, even if she is a bit awkward."

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Vesper shoots daggers with her eyes at Thino but remains silent as she waits for the Ugnaught to reply.
Spoiler:
:lol:

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Oona nods gratefully to Thino, and to Vesper "Exactly. We're on your side here, Yanik."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 pm

The Ugnaughts are the sturdiest of creatures, porcine or otherwise. They are capable of working long hours and enduring harsh environments. Yanik replies that there are no injuries or other maladies among them. There is an awkward wait before Yanik suggests that they get back to their work and living arrangements.
Spoiler:
OOC: You could perhaps bring them along (now) to do something (I don't know what). Or, have them meet you wirth Mazlum and the others in the morning. Or, negotiate on their behalf at the Mazlum meeting in the morning (or do that before then).

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 pm

"Absolutely, let us begin our work. We know what motivates each party here: You seek job security for you and your people. Malzum wants to feel like he's getting the maximum return out of his investment in you. Does that sounds about right, Kamar? - Oh and us... we just want our ship fixed!"

Oona takes a moment to stroke her chin in thought.

"I suggest we get you at a table with Mazlum where you make can some reasonable demands of him that will both be of benefit to your people, and help Mazlum feel that he has a stake in your well-being. We should prepare some additional demands that we would expect to be rejected. And we should prepare a proposal for the delivery of an "improved output" from yourselves. You have already stated that your work as efficiently as your are able already. The fact is, improved working and living conditions are likely to lead to an improvement in performance. Let's have a look here..."

She casts about for a datapad or some such and a surface upon which to work, waving Yanik, Kamar and the others over to further discussions.

OOC: Could we presume that we are able to identify potential improvements and formulate a list of demands for Yanik, without going through it in detail here, and wipe to the next scene? Would it require a roll?

Return to “The Story”