IC - "The Ison Corridor"

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: IC - "The Ison Corridor"

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Thino nods at yanik, “it’s like the lady said, we know you are very dedicated to your job and want to do your best, which can be hard to do when you don’t have the best conditions yourself, so what are some things that we can arrange to have for you in order to make it so that you work at your best and make your families proud. Remember, taking care of yourselves and making sure that you are taken care of is just as important as doing your job, because if you don’t do those then you can’t do the latter very well, and then you’re just short changing your employer. For starters, what can we do about this housing.”

Thino continues prompting a list of needs that the ughnaughts have in order to improve their living conditions, keeping an eye on kamar to make sure he is translating yaniks demands accurately.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Yanik ponders for a few moments, then speaks up, pausing between utterances. Kamar translates (and gives you no sign that he is being inaccurate). The list of improvements would include: more spacious living quarters, more task training, an expanded workforce or their kind, more tools and equipment, and imported Ugnaught foodstuffs.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 am

Thino nods his head as he hears the list giving the occasional "mmhm" to indicate that he was hearing and understanding and then waited until Kamar had finished translating for them, showing himself to be quite trustworthy.

"That's a fine list, but I agree with Oona about how we need to upsell ourselves. if you want this much then we have to ask for more, so that Mazlum can feel like he is winning by not giving you everything you want, maybe hiring a permanent doctor that specializes in Ughnaught medicine could work?"

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 am
"That's a fine list, but I agree with Oona about how we need to upsell ourselves. if you want this much then we have to ask for more, so that Mazlum can feel like he is winning by not giving you everything you want, maybe hiring a permanent doctor that specializes in Ughnaught medicine could work?"
Vesper nods. "There may already be some Ugnaught healers here. But giving them a new clinic to work out of could do your community a world of good." She pauses a moment, regarding the large shantytown. "And if we're asking for the sky, why not ask for a grav ball court or some other rec facilities? Best goaltender I ever faced was an Ugnaught. He must've learned somewhere!"
Spoiler:
This detail came up as part of a Knowledge check Vesper made way back in the game.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

As the group bandies about ideas for the Ugnaughts, a transmission comes across the short-range comlink, interrupting your discussion.

“This is Kettel. Come in.”
“I think we’ll be somewhat okay on exchanging some cargo for repairs and fuel according to what Larwin Henso says, but every little bit we can save helps.”

“Get back here when you can, then we can discuss our next destination.”

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 am

Thino pauses in his discussion with the Ugnaughts to reflect on what Kettel had said and then stands erect and says to no one in particular, "Respond to Kettel and let him know we will be there soon," Then looking directly at the Ugnaughts leader Yanik and the Duros Kamar he continues, "I think we have enough to go on here when we speak to Mazlum. Kamar you've been a great help to us, and I can tell you are a good man who cares about what happens to these people, I won't ask you to side with us against Mazlum in the negotiations since I know that could hurt your position here, but can I count on your keeping everything said here between us until we have a chance to talk to him? It would really help us out if we had the advantage of surprise."

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: IC - Ore Shipments

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 am

The final trip back and forth to the asteroid mines goes smoothly, with the exception of the Weequay called Skaggs. Clearly the inferior pilot, she lags behind and is significantly delayed (by up to a few hours....she went back the other way.), leaving only the Human Radoff, R4, and Helios to arrive at the station.

"WELL!!! That went better than expected!!!" exclaims Radoff upon seeing you. "Bee-Boop, bah-doop!!" exclaims R4. "I look forward to doing some more runs with you! We hauled in nearly QUADRUPLED our regular load. Those asteroids weren't so dangerous after all." says the human naively. Any given run there is a significant chance of losing a load, but he is going off of his recency bias. "I be on my way to let Mazlum know that we have more ore to process. He'll be thrilled!"
Spoiler:
R4 plot the course:
0 Success, 3 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
NPC; Uprising; Pilot Check (Radoff):
3 Successes, 0 Advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
NPC; Uprising; Pilot Check (Skaggs):
2 Failures, 2 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 am
Thino...."... Kamar you've been a great help to us, and I can tell you are a good man who cares about what happens to these people, I won't ask you to side with us against Mazlum in the negotiations since I know that could hurt your position here, but can I count on your keeping everything said here between us until we have a chance to talk to him? It would really help us out if we had the advantage of surprise."
"Well......" thinks Kamar as he scratches his chin. "It's against my better judgment to take sides against the family, even for something this minor...... but I suppose it is only temporary. I'll heed your wishes, but only until tomorrow morning, then everything's fair game."
Spoiler:
Thino; Uprising; Charm; kamar:
1 Success, 1 Threat
ImageImageImageImage

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am

Thino nods, "That's more generous than I've got a right to expect Kamar, and I thank you for it. If I ever pass through this way again I'll have to remember that to bring you a case of Cigarra."

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 am

"Shall we head back to Mazlum's office, then?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 am

"Lets meet up with kettel first, if you all are fine with that?"

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 am

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 am
"Lets meet up with kettel first, if you all are fine with that?"
"Oh, right. I always lose track of time on space stations. The meeting with Mazlum is tomorrow."

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 am

"Agreed, space stations are weird. Lets see what the boss wants."

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: IC - Ore Shipments

Post by swrider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 am
The final trip back and forth to the asteroid mines goes smoothly, with the exception of the Weequay called Skaggs. Clearly the inferior pilot, she lags behind and is significantly delayed (by up to a few hours....she went back the other way.), leaving only the Human Radoff, R4, and Helios to arrive at the station.

"WELL!!! That went better than expected!!!" exclaims Radoff upon seeing you. "Bee-Boop, bah-doop!!" exclaims R4. "I look forward to doing some more runs with you! We hauled in nearly QUADRUPLED our regular load. Those asteroids weren't so dangerous after all." says the human naively. Any given run there is a significant chance of losing a load, but he is going off of his recency bias. "I be on my way to let Mazlum know that we have more ore to process. He'll be thrilled!"
Spoiler:
R4 plot the course:
0 Success, 3 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
NPC; Uprising; Pilot Check (Radoff):
3 Successes, 0 Advantage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
NPC; Uprising; Pilot Check (Skaggs):
2 Failures, 2 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I was just happy to be flying through an asteroid field again. It is so nice to have a challenge. The Captain says I can't take our ship through any more until I find a weapon or tractor system linked to my station. Where am I supposed to find something like that here?
Spoiler:
Hell is lying about the captain not letting him fly... he is the ships captain and nethither he nor the party's captain have said that.

I am not sure if you want deception or charm though for the check so please advise. I'll only take the two boost and pass on the third. Hell was supposed to help with the ore to assist the group with their endeavors not his own. That boost should be used with the station manager.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 am

The return to the Red Dawn ends the evening’s activities. Waiting there is Captain Kettel, our rebel soldiers, Lanna, Ronin, and the prisoner (I think that’s all the crew). Outside of the prisoner’s range of hearing, the Captain addresses the crew.

“The Imperials will most likely follow procedure after blockading the perimeter of the Anoat Sector and do a planet-by-planet search of the system. Or, at least, dispatch probe droids to every corner of the sector until all the Rebels are found. If there is a damaged Rebel Transport out there, then there isn’t much time. Hopefully, they will stay well-hidden.”

“I have decided that the Imperial Fuel Depot on Ione is our top priority. Without that depot, the Empire won’t be able to refuel ships and continue their exhaustive search of the surrounding systems. A surprise attack on that depot should cripple their efforts, for a time, and call attention to that area….which, then, we’ll quickly flee from. “

“I have spoken with the one they call Captain Tye and arranged a “compromise”. I don’t trust him, and he does not trust us, so we are equal on that point. But the possibility of such a haul is too much to resist for a criminal element such as his group. In return, we’ll be given any information their organization has on Rebel activity in the area along with a generous supply of weapons. Hopefully, this can be the beginning of an uprising in this part of the galaxy.

"From what I’ve been told, the northern-most sector of Ione is a ‘no-fly’ zone for space travelers. They say there are dangerous interstellar phenomena in the sky and dangerous pollution on the surface. However, I suspect these are a ruse meant to keep people away. Needless to say, we’ll have to approach from the ground and make our way to this hidden base. In the meantime, we’ll have to get this ship flight-worthy. a.s.a.p.”

“That said, how did helping around the station go? Anything to report?”

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm

"The ore haul went better than expected. We were able to bring in much more than they usually are able to by taking a short cut through the asteroid field."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 pm

"Things went well on our end as well. The leader of the Ugnaughts trust me implicitly and know that I want their best interests, so they will most likely be more than willing to do a good job on our ship. The next step is to really speak with Mazlum about their condition and demands. Kamar was our translator and he has agreed to keep quiet about this so we can have the advantage on negotiations, but only until tomorrow."

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Negotiations

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:35 am

"Excellent work!" exclaims the Captain. "Mazlum should be pleased with our efforts!"

With that, it comes time in the morning to deal with Mazlum Henso. He shows up in the hangar with his brother Larwin Henso, who give his brother a knowing nod. Well, let's get down to business. Based on your ship's damage, fuel needs, the value of your current cargo, and the availability of parts and labor, I'd say proper compensation would be between 50%-to-70% of your cargo." he says with a grin.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:11 am

Thino motions for Kettel, Oona, Ronin, Vesper, and Hell to come up alongside him as he approached Mazlum, "Now hold up a minute there Mazlum, we did a fair bit of work for you, including running ore for you and speaking to the Ugnaughts on your behalf, and in turn they appointed me to speak on their behalf and have given me their trust, and the ability to make deals and demands for them collectively. I feel that this is the more pressing matter for us to discuss since it deals with both your labor issues and the issues that are being had by your labor force."

Thino paused for a moment to let the weight of what he had said sink in but then began again before Mazlum could have time to protest, "Now as an impartial third party I am perfectly equipped to mediate between the two groups, employer, and employees, and because the Ugnaughts have invested me with their negotiating authority this should go rather smoothly for everyone wouldn't you say? To start off they want to work harder for you and be better workers, but they are incapable of doing so under their current conditions, and I can understand why, when I went down there they were living in a veritable shanty town."

Reaching into his breast pocket Thino pulled out a datapad that had all of the Ugnaughts demands, as well as the few extras like medical facilities and recreational spaces that he and Vesper had come up with, and handed it to Mazlum, "These are their demands, and what they feel is needed to be better workers, and I can tell you if it were me in their position I would be asking for a lot more, but they seem like a very amicable sort so they don't ask for much, but I feel like if you don't meet these demands then you will be out a workforce sooner rather than later."

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:00 am

"Speak on the behalf of the Ugnaughts? But they love working here!!! I can't believe that they would want for anything considering where they've come from!"

"Still, it IS a large station and I suppose there may be more room for them to occupy until that room is needed again. If there is more room, then perhaps I can take on a larger workforce..."
he ponders...."....and perhaps get some foodstuffs they prefer while acquiring more workers from Gentes....resupply with some tools that the Stormtroopers broke during their inspection. Such things aren't unreasonable."

"Now....about the fuels and repairs."

Spoiler:
the actual demands (7):
more spacious living quarters
more task training
an expanded workforce or their kind
more tools and equipment
and imported Ugnaught foodstuffs

the extra demands meant to be used as padding to let mazlum feel like he won:
a medical facility
and recreation center

I figure on some gratitude on the behalf of the Ugnaughts may yield some enhancements for us. Perhaps instead of RP'ing those details, it'd be part of the party "treasure" & XP awarded at the end.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 am

Oona takes a breath and puts on a bit of an obnoxious smile, "Yes, about those repairs. Let's just skip the back and forth on this one, shall we? You know how you come in with an even higher prices than you ordinarily expect to extort from us (and we're already familiar with your docking fees...). We counter with an unfeasibly lowballed offer and we meet somewhere in the middle. Let's recognise that, despite just being traders we've gone out of our way to help you out here. I think you can expect improved relations with your staff with some efficiency savings there, and Hell's improved things on the transport logistics front. So, given services rendered, let's talk the real cost of repairs and fuel."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Negotiations

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 am

Mazlum sighs audibly and looks briefly to his brother Lamar, as if, perhaps, disappointed in him. "You drive a hard bargain." he says despondently. "Taking into account your (everyone's) assistance yesterday, we DO seem to be coming out ahead in ore and fuel production. The lowest I can go is 30% of that cargo you are carrying, and even that is barely paying for my costs. It will take some time to complete the repairs, perhaps days, with the Ugnaughts working efficiently. You are welcome to stay here at Ison Station until the repairs are complete."
Spoiler:
+5% per Success 4 x 5 = +20%. Initially the asking was 50-70% ofthe held cargo.

Return to “The Story”