"UPRISING" IC (Life on Hoth)

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: "UPRISING" IC (Life on Hoth)

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am

Thino had been sitting off in a corner of the bar, antena twitching as he listened to the local chatter trying to gather information when he saw his compatriot Ronin return with the merchant lord whose name he couldn't remember, he stood up and began making his way over to where they stood. He cut an imposing figure as he walked across the bar, tall for a rodian, and of a stockier build that hinted at a life more rigorous than even the typical one for the species of career hunters. As he walked he made sure that everything was order on his person as he wanted to make a good first impression on the group when he made his introduction, but he got there just in time to hear his young friend blurt out information that gave away their business in front of these strangers.

The Rodian sighed as he put a hand over his face in distress. Ronin was passionate but his carelessness, betrayed his youth and put them in danger of discovery. It's that youthful brashness that made you feel like you could trust him though Thino, don't forget that.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 am
"The Empire takes what it wants, from what I've heard. They strike even when there is no rebellion to quench. They covet what they see and take as they please."
Thino turned to the human who had reprimanded Ronin, "You speak as one who has been on the wrong end of their taking my friend. May I call you a friend?" He replied to the captain in fluent Basic. There's something shifty about these individuals, Thino thought. They were too familiar, and they had noticeable battle wounds on their persons from a recent fight and yet seemed unbothered. He then added after fixing a glare in Ronin's direction, ""But of course, this is a public space, I wouldn't expect anyone to freely speak of such matters so comfortably in light of the potential danger involved in such hasty actions?"
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:33 pm
"I'd rather not risk it," she whispers back. "We're here for supplies, not allies."
Kettel whispers back, "We're ALWAYS in need of allies! Let's see what they have to say."
SavageBob wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:33 pm
My colleagues and I were just assaulted out there in the market square, and we've got business to do. I'm already out 150 credits and a stimpack for medical expenses, so this world is looking less and less attractive with each minute that passes. Lord Marax is it? Can we talk business?"
"Can we talk business, you say?" Marax asks Vesper."WELL! Four of my favorite words to hear! What kind of business do you intend to do on Mexeluine?"
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am
Thino turned to the human who had reprimanded Ronin, "You speak as one who has been on the wrong end of their taking my friend. May I call you a friend?"
The strong-looking human with dark hair, beard, and mustache wearing dark jacket responds to Thino & Ronin. "Friend? That might be a strong word to use at this point. We we're just attacked by Trandoshans in the street not long after leaving the hangar. We're still pretty worked up about that, so it's going to be difficult trust strangers for a bit. And, yes, I've been on the wrong side of the "taking" that the Empire does, but we have business to conduct here. Would you mind if we talked later?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 am
"Friend? That might be a strong word to use at this point. We we're just attacked by Trandoshans in the street not long after leaving the hangar. We're still pretty worked up about that, so it's going to be difficult trust strangers for a bit. And, yes, I've been on the wrong side of the "taking" that the Empire does, but we have business to conduct here. Would you mind if we talked later?"
Thino's body was still facing towards Ronin when the Human spoke, and understanding his meaning he turned his head and gave him a deferential nod to let him know that he took his meaning, "We are also here on business that we need's attending to, perhaps after you finish your discussion we can have our own about what we each have to trade." Facing back towards Ronin, "is that an acceptable idea for everyone?"

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Vesper gives the Rodian a disbelieving look. "I'm sorry—who are you? And who's he?" She gives another look to the one they called Ronin. "Why are you—" But the woman forces herself to take a breath. The sense-memory of Muhmed's incense fills her mind, and she remembers Kettel's words about always needing allies. It's enough to calm her down a bit. "Sorry. I'm still frazzled from the attack outside. We should talk later. But for now..."

She turns to the one called Marax. "The truth is that my colleagues and I are simple traders with a cargo to offload. But that assault outside has put a big dent in our profit margins: damage to our property, personal injuries, and—worst of all—lost time. Your Lordship, I think we're owed compensation, whether from your administration or from the gang that roughed us up."

Matt Skywalker
Scoundrel

Post by Matt Skywalker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:11 pm

"This Marax, sounds more than perfectly reasonable."
Allies require sacrifices to gain them
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Matt Skywalker wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:11 pm
"This Marax, sounds more than perfectly reasonable."
Allies require sacrifices to gain them
Thino nodded to Ronin. He didn’t agree with what he saw as the reckless nature of that approach, but he wasn’t leading this recruiting operation, so he would trust in his partners methods.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 am

Being outside of the conversation for a moment, Thino had time to reflect on what the dark haired human had said to them about being attacked by Transdoshans and then noticed for the first time that they had a Wookie traveling with them and realized why, slipping out from where he stood by Ronin's side, he made his way quietly over to where Lanna stood and whispered to them in basic, "Your friend told me about the attack just now, is there anything i can help you with to make things easier, I know that not many people take the time to learn Shyriiwook and i wanted to make sure that you had been looked after."

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Lanna looks down at the Rodian and replies, "Thank you. All I need is some rest. The doctor acts as if I am indestructible. I am not."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm
Lanna looks down at the Rodian and replies, "Thank you. All I need is some rest. The doctor acts as if I am indestructible. I am not."
Thino nods and whispers, If “I’m understanding the situation correctly we might be able to ease your burden and get you some of that rest,” then cocking his head to the side quizzically, ”you wouldn’t happen to understand Rodese would you, so that we could converse more covertly?”
Last edited by Boutrose Saba-Norr on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm

She shakes her head, "Sorry, no. Just the foul language of Hutts, and the language of those dead reptilian vermin."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Think smiled in the odd way that only Rodians can and continued the conversation in Huttese, “That is fine. Now we can talk more freely. These humans mean well, but even they tend to over look and assume things when it comes to others not like them in the galaxy.”

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Lanna growls angrily, grabs Thino by the front of his clothes using one paw, and lifts him complete off of the ground so that they're eye to eye, "Do NOT speak to me in the language of those who kept me a slave for twenty years!"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Thino put his hands up apologetically, switching inidiately back to basic, ”I’m very sorry for my rudeness, I thought that it would make you more comfortable if we could talk without having to worry about eavesdropping, I hope you can forgive me and trust that I meant no offense.”

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Lanna growls softly and, gently, lowers the Rodian back to the ground. Then she, gently, pats the Rodian on the head.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

Thino smiled awkwardly, well aware of the awkward situation he almost caused for everyone. I could always offer to learn how to speak Trandoshan, he thought to himself, but somehow I think that might only make things worse

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Let's make a deal...

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 am

Marax looks slightly to another one of his assistants to his left and smiles. “Well, of course. It has been a stressful day. Perhaps you all would like to rest for an evening? Forgive me if I have been either neglectful or bothersome. I am the owner of this establishment. There are accommodations upstairs and the security here is excellent. I will have the manager tends to your needs with regards to food and drink….complimentary from me. It would be the least I can do. I can also assist you in your business here on Mexeluine. What IS this cargo you have to sell? Where did you get this cargo from? I know you are not from Mexeluine. Nothing “ILLEGAL”, is it?"
Spoiler:
Vesper Reshari; Uprising; Charm check: [/url]
4 Successes, 4 Advantages Looks like he likes us for "three more scenes." Maybe he'll personally accompany us to sell our cargo and do our shopping, giving us some sort of advantage with the local merchants? The default Advantage use in the CRB is to affect additional targets, but I'm not sure who that would be in this case.
• Looks like some “in” or friendly contacts with the manager, the staff, one of his assistants, and whatever may come with the business dealings.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Let's make a deal...

Post by SavageBob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 am
I can also assist you in your business here on Mexeluine. What IS this cargo you have to sell? Where did you get this cargo from? I know you are not from Mexeluine. Nothing “ILLEGAL”, is it?"[/b][/color]
Vesper snorts at the question. "If we were carrying illegal goods, I don't think we'd have stuck around when you and your people arrived!" With a chuckle, she adds, "It's just some micro-fusion generators and power cells from Burnin Konn."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Let's make a deal...

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:17 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 pm
DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 am
Nothing “ILLEGAL”, is it?"[/b][/color]
Vesper snorts at the question. "If we were carrying illegal goods, I don't think we'd have stuck around when you and your people arrived!" With a chuckle, she adds, "It's just some micro-fusion generators and power cells from Burnin Konn."

"If you were carrying illegal goods on your person, I supposed you would have run! It doesn't make any difference to me, mind you, what a being buys or sells for a living. Business is business. So long as your interests don't conflict with my own. Burnin Konn? Such a toxic, little planet."

"Generators and power cells, eh? I thought they would need such things on Burnin Konn with all of the mining that goes on there. Do you want to exchange them for other goods, or credits?"

"Goods!" interjects Captain Kettel. "I have a list of needed supplies on this datapad."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

supplies

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 am

At this time, Ezry, one of Marax’s aides has returned. He masks a slight sneer when he notices Ronin and Thino in the company of his Lord. Entering also is the apparent manager of the establishment.
”I will look into your supply needs and will be able to provide viable options by tomorrow. Such things take time. As for now? It has been an exhausting day for you all. I insist that you accept my hospitality. Food, drink, shelter and a healthy amount of credits to compensate you for your losses on this trip. Mr. Somir, tend to my guests well! I must leave to tend to the business I had left undone due to this unfortunate and brutal assault. I will see you tomorrow morning..... here."

"Mr. Ronin Wayne, we will continue our talk another time. A fascinating story, this struggle against the Empire! You and your friend are free to enjoy the food and drink along with these other guests. All expenses on my account, Somir."

Spoiler:
Kzar, Lanna, Vesper each receive 300 credits

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Vesper takes the credstick and puts it in her pouch. "Thank you… my lord. For putting us up, as well."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm

"I see." Marax says to Kettel. "This will take some time. Please, stay here until tomorrow. I plan to have something by then. Good evening to you all." as he gives a slight bow and exits the room along with Ezry and his entourage, leaving the aforementioned credits on the table. Mr. Somir brings out food & drink for all, then exits.

Noticing that a certain amount of privacy now exists, Cpt. Kettel gives nod to Vesper, Kzar, & Lanna and speaks to Ronin and Thino. "The Rebellion, you say? How do YOU know the Rebellion? Where are you from?"
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote: ↑Sun Jan 07, Thino turned to the human... "You speak as one who has been on the wrong end of their taking my friend. May I call you a friend?"
Turning specifically to Thino, "And, yes, I lived out in the The Colonies until the Empire came there and took what they wanted. How is it that YOU have been on the wrong end?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Thino gives the man whose name he still didn't know as much of a smirk as he was able to, and then proceeded to raise his arms and gesture with his hands in a way that was meant to bring attention to the entirety of himself, "I'm a Rodian, my people have been under control of the Empire for some time now, and it's not always pleasant." Thino sighs, "And I have a long history of trying to help people on the wrong side of the taking, regardless of whether or not it's the Empire or someone else who's doing that taking."
Thino wasn't being dishonest, but he wasn't telling them everything. He considered himself a protector of the people, a freedom fighter, but that doesn't change the way in which he carried out those actions, and if they knew, they might not trust him. We all have such an unfair reputation.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

"So how is it that you can talk so openly about the Rebellion here, and with that Marax guy? Aren't you worried someone... who doesn't approve might hear?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Thino wanted to say that he didn’t approve of doing just that, that it was foolish and dangerous, but how was he supposed to say that and then try and convince them to trust Ronin who made that call. It was a point of weighing his own sense of pride against the job at hand and even though it gave him a twinge of annoyance he was never one to put pride before the mission.

“For that information you will have to ask my compatriots, I am not running lead on this operation, but I’ve never known him to take an action without thinking it through.”

Currently on Dubai time

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Lanna snorts in disbelief. She doesn't believe the newcomers have done much "thinking it through".

Return to “The Story”