Party Creation

Character proposals for this game.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Party Creation

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:29 pm
Hey Deep I just took a look at the WTII and I saw Voe's WT. It'd be amazing if he had 19 :D but alas he has 9 :'(
Ah! Updating and copying. Thanks for the head's up. I am not at the finishing point yet. I will ask for one last look-over once I get there. I was on-call today since 4pm, but got no calls. I got in some unexpected *monkeying* time to the page. :)

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 pm
Stneu73 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:24 pm
Yeah that could totally work. Voe might have actually been supplying said rebel cells that caused the bombardment (provided there were actual cells). That is definitely something Voe would do. (see personality)
Done! Yeah, the bombardment of Raltiir is some OG Star Wars EU stuff. I think it's from the 1981 Brian Daley radio dramas. Things get pretty dark afterward, as the Empire invades in force and puts Rebel sympathizers into concentration camps for summary execution. Voe saved Vesper's life by getting her off world, now that I think about it. Until Rogue One, Leia and the Tantive IV were actually on their way back from a relief mission to Raltiir when they came under fire form Vader in A New Hope.
Awesome that sounds great!

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm
Stneu73 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:29 pm
Hey Deep I just took a look at the WTII and I saw Voe's WT. It'd be amazing if he had 19 :D but alas he has 9 :'(
Ah! Updating and copying. Thanks for the head's up. I am not at the finishing point yet. I will ask for one last look-over once I get there. I was on-call today since 4pm, but got no calls. I got in some unexpected *monkeying* time to the page. :)
Gotcha sounds good!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm

@Bob: Most of the details about Ralltiir is from WEG's Far Orbit Project. Since I've owned that book ever since it was published in '98, and I run that campaign, I have more than a passing familiarity with the subject. Daley originated it, but WEG filled in the details. Including the fact that the Imperial blockade consists of 3 fleets with hundreds of warships, including no fewer than 3 star destroyers.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:55 pm

On the subject of tying together PCs, I've asked several times about how Lanna is being connected (and getting off of Nar Shaddaa), but I've not gotten much response back from my posts. Do I need to throw a tantrum to get some attention? :P

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:56 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm
@Bob: Most of the details about Ralltiir is from WEG's Far Orbit Project. Since I've owned that book ever since it was published in '98, and I run that campaign, I have more than a passing familiarity with the subject. Daley originated it, but WEG filled in the details. Including the fact that the Imperial blockade consists of 3 fleets with hundreds of warships, including no fewer than 3 star destroyers.
Ah, very cool. I love how WEG was so careful to tie the EU together even before there was any LFL directive to do so.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

@Deep: since when does "Kz" sort above "Ka" alphabetically? :P

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:56 pm
Ah, very cool. I love how WEG was so careful to tie the EU together even before there was any LFL directive to do so.
When WEG was doing this WEG were the only people "filling in the blanks" in Star Wars. Lucas, et. al. let them do whatever they wanted. And while WEG was doing it, things stayed consistent. But after WEG folded things went to hell. And they've only gotten orders of magnitude worse since Disney acquired ownership of all things Star Wars.

Star Wars has far fewer writers than Star Trek, yet seems to suffer more from continuity issues without Trek's excuse. And now that Disney owns things they no longer even pretend to try.
[/rant]

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:55 pm
Do I need to throw a tantrum to get some attention? :P
Maybe :D

I've got an idea. Sometimes the Rebellion has some shady not so nice suppliers. Naturally, one of these is on Nar Shadda. After your escape you're wandering around the city and see a small Polis Massan being harrassed by a (species of your choosing) and for some reason Lanna helps This Polis Massan who agrees to get her off world with the shipment. This shipment happens to be going to Ralltiir and then we run into Vesper. (or we could put some time between the two meetings doesn't really matter to me too much).

So this is a rough sketch we could hammer out details if you like.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:01 am

I'm serious about Lanna being very new to the Rebellion.

I'd prefer that Lanna go from Nar Shaddaa directly to Echo Base. "Anywhere but here" finds her dumped on Hoth with no warning or preparation as part of a supply run to establish the base. Naturally, this also means that she has ample reason to want off of the frozen hell of Hoth at the first opportunity.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:01 am
I'm serious about Lanna being very new to the Rebellion.

I'd prefer that Lanna go from Nar Shaddaa directly to Echo Base. "Anywhere but here" finds her dumped on Hoth with no warning or preparation as part of a supply run to establish the base. Naturally, this also means that she has ample reason to want off of the frozen hell of Hoth at the first opportunity.
Ok so maybe Voe gets Vesper first and brings her to Hoth from Ralltiir. Vesper then spends a little bit learning under Voe's father while Voe does random missions eventually ending up at Nar Shaddaa in the situation given above and then they go straight to Hoth and we start the campaign.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 am

That, more or less, takes care of Lanna. But Sarenda is also on Nar Shaddaa. All three of our characters need tying. Also, we haven't covered how Lanna would find Svae. Nar Shaddaa is a city that covers the entire surface of the moon (like Coruscant). Many billions of people live on the Smugglers' Moon, and thousands of ships arrive and leave each day. Couple this with Lanna having been a cloistered slave for the past over 20 years and unfamiliar with the city.

My original idea was that one of the NPCs that Lanna frees puts her in contact with Sarenda. Who with her underworld knowledge in turn knows how to find a pilot (like Svae).

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 am

So looking back over my character I think it would be better to have Voe start in the technician career as a mechanic. Voe will still have both piloting skills and she'll also gain computers. Plus going forward I don't think she'll go much further in piloting than the piloting tree so starting as an ace doesn't really make sense. She'll also as the group technician and possible slicer want to get more trees like mechanic and slicer so starting in technician seems like more of a fit to me.

Thoughts?

All the backstory stuff will stay the same, for the most part. Maybe I'll change the focus from piloting to more mechanical stuff but still going in the same general direction.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 am
That, more or less, takes care of Lanna. But Sarenda is also on Nar Shaddaa. All three of our characters need tying. Also, we haven't covered how Lanna would find Svae. Nar Shaddaa is a city that covers the entire surface of the moon (like Coruscant). Many billions of people live on the Smugglers' Moon, and thousands of ships arrive and leave each day. Couple this with Lanna having been a cloistered slave for the past over 20 years and unfamiliar with the city.
Fair enough. What if the supplier Voe is getting stuff from is the same people that supplied the place that enslaved Lanna. So it'll be close by. What draws Lanna to it is one of the Trandoshans that were in charge is out getting supplies and Voe and him are fighting about the supplies. Lanna can be led there by one of the other escapees who knows their way around, where the supplier is, and that the missing Trandoshan leader is going to be there. You beat up the Trandoshan and in return I give you a ride of the planet.

Thoughts?
ShadoWarrior wrote:
My original idea was that one of the NPCs that Lanna frees puts her in contact with Sarenda. Who with her underworld knowledge in turn knows how to find a pilot (like Svae).
That would work except for if Sarenda knows how to find Voe why wouldn't she have done it earlier? And if she's a rebel operative on Nar Shaddaa why would she leave with Voe and Lanna after connecting them? Either way it doesn't make much sense to me.

Thoughts?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Mech

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 am

Stneu73 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 am
[Technician?]Thoughts?
All the backstory stuff will stay the same, for the most part. Maybe I'll change the focus from piloting to more mechanical stuff but still going in the same general direction.
Well, you lose the double-double-up on both piloting skills, but still get single ranks as a mech. Yet, going down the right side of the Pilot tree and then across the bottom is pretty sweet. Natural Pilot (reroll Gunner Pil:Space), Brilliant Evasion, Master Pilot, Dedication. It's a quick and easy path. Mech has COntraption, Hard Headed, Hold Together....yuck. I don't think it compares. Those are my thoughts.

I like the character regardless of career. Do as you will. We're getting a bit late to be switching around. ;)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm
@Deep: since when does "Kz" sort above "Ka" alphabetically? :P
Well I'LL BE!!! I accidently put in them in near-alphabetical order by chance! I was entering them by a different methodology. I just put colors in and then started with a few names. I suppose ABC order would be easy with one switch, eh? Ha!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Mech

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:22 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 am
Stneu73 wrote:
[Technician?]Thoughts?
Well, you lose the double-double-up on both piloting skills, but still get single ranks as a mech. Yet, going down the right side of the Pilot tree and then across the bottom is pretty sweet. Natural Pilot (reroll Gunner Pil:Space), Brilliant Evasion, Master Pilot, Dedication. It's a quick and easy path. Mech has Contraption, Hard Headed, Hold Together....yuck. I don't think it compares. Those are my thoughts.

I like the character regardless of career. Do as you will. We're getting a bit late to be switching around. ;)
I'm with Deep on this. Once a character is approved and copied into a DP forum you really shouldn't continue to muck with the build. What you need to decide, once and for all, is whether you want to be a pilot who has some mechanical skill, or a mechanic who has some piloting skill. You cannot be good at both no matter how much you may want to be. The reason is that your specializations define your character. Specifically, the talents in the tree(s). The pilot tree will make you a great pilot. The mechanic tree will make you a great tech. There are no pilot-useful talents on the mechanic tree and vice versa.

Trying to fill two roles at once means you're splitting your focus and your XP. One never has enough XP for a single career, let alone two or three. In your case it's particularly bad because PCs who are Int-centric and double up on tech and medic at least share the same attribute. You're split between two attributes as well as two very different professions.

If I were you I'd focus on being a great pilot, and just use your '4' Int to provide expert assistance to an astromech droid for tech and navigation stuff. You won't have the useful tech talents (such as Gearhead and Solid Repairs) but that's unlikely to kill us. Not having a top-notch pilot at the controls could.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 am
Fair enough. What if the supplier Voe is getting stuff from is the same people that supplied the place that enslaved Lanna. So it'll be close by. What draws Lanna to it is one of the Trandoshans that were in charge is out getting supplies and Voe and him are fighting about the supplies. Lanna can be led there by one of the other escapees who knows their way around, where the supplier is, and that the missing Trandoshan leader is going to be there. You beat up the Trandoshan and in return I give you a ride of the planet.

Thoughts?
That makes little sense. Why would Voe give Lanna a lift after she kills Voe's supplier? (With Lanna's hatred of Trandoshans she wouldn't just "beat him up" and leave him still breathing.) Logically, Voe should be pissed at losing the connection and in no mood to do Lanna a favor.
Stneu73 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:43 am
ShadoWarrior wrote:
That would work except for if Sarenda knows how to find Voe why wouldn't she have done it earlier? And if she's a rebel operative on Nar Shaddaa why would she leave with Voe and Lanna after connecting them? Either way it doesn't make much sense to me.

Thoughts?
Sarenda may not have had a reason to seek out Voe earlier. A lot depends on whether Sarenda is a Rebel agent working on Nar Shaddaa, or if she doesn't join the Alliance until she arrives on Hoth (like Lanna). Trip's backstory is light on details, not specifying when she joins the Rebellion, or even really how it happens. Only that it does.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 pm

I left the backstory light on details so that it can be adjusted to allow for a link. I'm cool with her not joining until hoth. Maybe she has been working on Nar Shaddaa as a freelance. She is alone but still works to disrupt the imperials. She is discovered by Voe and recruited?

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 am
I'll ask for Trip (and anyone else that's curious): If a character wants a Rarity 6 item, such as a TT24 holdout blaster, is that allowed?
bump*

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:35 pm

@stneu, as the GM, a pilot career will play out better given the scenarios that are planned out. Personally, I always thought mechanics did most of their talent stuff out of action, during 'down time', or after a ship is damaged. Might be better to "prevent" ship damaged than to get a couple bonus points repairing it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Trip wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 pm
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 am
I'll ask for Trip (and anyone else that's curious): If a character wants a Rarity 6 item, such as a TT24 holdout blaster, is that allowed?
bump*
I'd just go with the basic. Opp to diversify early on.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Maybe Sarenda stole some imperial secrets that she feels are too important and too big to keep for herself. So she contacts the alliance to tell them.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:25 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:35 pm
@stneu, as the GM, a pilot career will play out better given the scenarios that are planned out. Personally, I always thought mechanics did most of their talent stuff out of action, during 'down time', or after a ship is damaged. Might be better to "prevent" ship damaged than to get a couple bonus points repairing it.
You're right that a tech's talents do come into play mostly during either space combat or in downtime. Though I think you're overlooking the things that a tech can do during combat to keep the ship flying that do not involve talents. Angling and/or boosting shields (which can do even more to prevent damage than a pilot can), repairing strain caused by pilot actions, et cetera. However, the tech talents don't help with preventing damage, only with fixing it, while pilot talents can prevent damage. Both roles are highly useful in space combat, but both roles cannot be filled by the same PC. The PC either is sitting in the pilot's seat or is back in engineering. Just like Rokar in Trip's game has to choose whether he's going to pilot or fire the guns. He cannot do both. (Not until the ship gets fitted with slave circuits that allow remote firing of the guns. If we ever spend money to do that, as there are quite a few better things to spend money on.)

Speaking as a player, I'd prefer that Voe stick with being the best pilot she can be, and if necessary leave the tech stuff to a droid. Also, if the GM is going to drop the hint that a pilot will have more to do based on what he has planned then it would be wise to listen. I'm tickled with the idea that the GM might loan or give us an astromech. One can never have too many of those. And the Alliance is always, always short of them, which makes us having one all the more special.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
So looking back over my character I think it would be better to have Voe start in the technician career as a mechanic. Voe will still have both piloting skills and she'll also gain computers. Plus going forward I don't think she'll go much further in piloting than the piloting tree so starting as an ace doesn't really make sense. She'll also as the group technician and possible slicer want to get more trees like mechanic and slicer so starting in technician seems like more of a fit to me.

Thoughts?
My take would be to stick with Ace: Pilot. You can always cross-spec into Ace: Rigger or Driver down the road. Shado's advice is solid from a game-mechanics perspective, but I think narratively, broad-based characters can be fun and interesting to play. Either way, though, the advantage of keeping Ace as your career is that you get access to both Pilot (which is excellent for space), Driver (which actually does have some good mechanic-related talents and can give you a good space pilot despite the name), and Rigger (which is all about being a great mechanic on your signature ship). In short, I'd argue that Ace may fit your character concept better in the long-term, as it gives you lots of excellent cross-spec opportunities, all within the Career.

Return to “Character Concepts”