Party Creation

Character proposals for this game.
Trip
Flyboy

Re: Party Creation

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 am

I just didn't want anyone to think I was a jerk taking over another role that someone else had. It was an honest mistake.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:56 am

Trip wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 am
I just didn't want anyone to think I was a jerk taking over another role that someone else had. It was an honest mistake.
Yeah I gotcha. There's no issue here :)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 am

I liked the Saboteur, even if it wasn't min-maxed. It really all depends on how you want to play, Trip. But sounds like Stneu's cool with changing to a Pilot (and I love the idea of a Polis Massan pilot). If Thief doesn't feel right for some reason, one other possibility is the Bounty Hunter: Skip Tracer, sort of the non-Force-using version of the Investigator I used for Alamy in Alpha Squad.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:01 am

I really needed Deception as a clawdite. Saboteur didn't have that.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 am

A Saboteur build need not be a Clawdite. :P

Just poking you. I know you really, really want to play a Clawdite.

Kal Drahr
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Kal Drahr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:21 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:39 pm
Kal Drahr wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm
I was going to put my 2 free ranks into Charm and Negotiation on option 1 and 3 as I saw the deficency of a good face character. Can I make a character proposal for you to look at?
oh, and would it be too much trouble for your character to be male? We're not exactly running Charlie's Angels in space, you know. ;)
As I am a Male, I only play males. So no worries.

Also, sorry for the delay, but apparently I forgot to save my character and there was a power blackout so I have to start over on that, sheet should be up my Sunday.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:43 am

wrote:Also, sorry for the delay, but apparently I forgot to save my character and there was a power blackout so I have to start over on that, sheet should be up my Sunday.
Ah! I hate when that happens! I usually save a Word copy of the sheets, cut-n-paste to one. Or rather, i create in Word file first, then paste to webpage.

Sounds good. Thanks for your efforts!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 am

I'll ask for Trip (and anyone else that's curious): If a character wants a Rarity 6 item, such as a TT24 holdout blaster, is that allowed?

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 am

So I think I'm going to change my backstory a little bit to include the rebellion more. As in Parents are both in it and maybe they died (haven't decided yet, maybe not cause that's really stereotypical, but again haven't decided) Ship is an old family heirloom rust-bucket from pre-clone wars age. That sort of stuff. If anyone would like to link up stories I am game :D

Also I think Svae Xor Voe will be a girl.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Kzar essentially duplicates Sarenda professionally, only he's not as good as she is. The main difference is that he's a baby Force user. Which, down the road, will cause our party all sorts of problems with the ISB and Inquisitorious that we'd really not want and wouldn't otherwise have.

Another overlooked issue is that Luke, who's at Echo Base, would sense the Force in this guy. That breaks canon in a big way.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Good points. Let me address them as the GM for this game.
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm
Kzar essentially duplicates Sarenda professionally, only he's not as good as she is. The main difference is that he's a baby Force user. Which, down the road, will cause our party all sorts of problems with the ISB and Inquisitorious that we'd really not want and wouldn't otherwise have.
The Gunslinger has Coercion, Cool, and Kn:Outer Rim as career skills, all skills that the party lacks nearly entirely (One person has Cool with zero ranks, no one has OR or Coercion. And no one else has a Presence over "2"). the talents are vastly different than the thief tree. I'm more than fine with those aspects of the character, as is.

Any roles with ISB & Inquis I will handle within gameplay. As far as I am concerned, without an open display of powers or crossing a path of an Inquis, it's nearly impossible for this to come into play. As stated in the UPRISING OOC (first post), I'll have some liberties with regards to how strict we adhere to canon orthodoxy (as it is currently understood).
Spoiler:
"Insofar as the game is considered 'Canon', one should consider this campaign 'alternative-universe' with regards to what I shall use and not use."
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm
Another overlooked issue is that Luke, who's at Echo Base, would sense the Force in this guy. That breaks canon in a big way.
IMO the whole idea of even HAVING a Force-user option in the CRB is potentially canon-breaking. But people want to play force-users so FFG has it in there rather than Luke (and Leia) being the last potential Jedi. I suppose it's in there, too, if people want to play in a different time frame.

Would or Could detect? Would he even have any idea about such things? As Luke, up to this point has only heard Ben's voice in his head saying to "trust the force" and hasn't been the Dagobah yet. BTW, I have no intent of us 'bumping' into him, Han, Leia, or any of the others and having that heroic cross-over roleplay.

When it comes to adherence to canon (as it is understood now before more movies come out), it ranks below..... game enjoyment, pace of play, character advancement, character development, plot advancement, etc.... So adherence to canon is not a top concern of mine, maybe 5-6-7-8-9 on the list, something I am willing to look past in order to have a fun and enjoyable game. You (Shado) may want to ask yourself how much deviation you can tolerate and still enjoy the game yourself? For example, Adelhard is who the video game says is Governor over Anoat Sector and there are some subordinates. But, I have taken some liberties to how that plays out and which scenarios or characters come into play.
Spoiler:
"Insofar as the game is considered 'Canon', one should consider this campaign 'alternative-universe' with regards to what I shall use and not use."
BTW, I like your new campaign starting on The Wheel, but I don't have time for another. I ran a Wheel adventure for our live group last year. It went great. One new character rolled 7 Successes on a Leadership check while intervening in a dispute and became a trusted person of the head man there. Ah ....the memories!

@Kal Drahr... I have no plans to entertain the development of a force-user. There's not going to be a storyline for it (as of now). No secret past being unveiled, no kinship or mentor with another FU, no hunted by the Inquisitors, no climactic realizations of jedi-hood, etc... You simply have an unexplained 'knack' for a thing or two.

Personally, I see it as a real XP-siphon. It is so expensive to buy powers and takes away (IMO) precious XP from Career Talents and Skills, which Gunslinger has a lot of. It's up to you. Play what you'd like. If you choose to use one, then just know that it is within these parameters and I see you as 'Kzar Rook', not "that force-user guy".

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:05 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm
The Gunslinger has Coercion, Cool, and Kn:Outer Rim as career skills, all skills that the party lacks nearly entirely (One person has Cool with zero ranks, no one has OR or Coercion. And no one else has a Presence over "2"). the talents are vastly different than the thief tree. I'm more than fine with those aspects of the character, as is.
Cool is not a skill that matters much. Other than to provide a slight improvement to the odds of getting to go sooner in the init order its only real use is to resist Charm. In 4 or so years of GMing this game I've yet to see a situation where an NPC tries to apply Charm to a PC. Just doesn't happen. Outer Rim has its uses, but it's not essential and he doesn't even have a rank in it so it's irrelevant anyway. Svae, with a '4' Int can do Outer Rim better. Even if he had a rank in Outer Rim Svae would still be better with GGGG than he would with YGG. I saved the only real useful skill for last: Coercion. With YGG his odds of success are slim (and pretty much nonexistent versus stormtroopers). The biggest problem with the build is that with no attribute better than '3' he's going to have a tough time in any social check as they're all opposed and the NPCs will have pools as good as or better than him. Characters built for social 'warfare' need to have a '4' or better in their primary attribute. Otherwise they simply won't be effective. The odds do not favor their success if their pool is weaker than their opponents'.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm
Would or Could detect? Would he even have any idea about such things? As Luke, up to this point has only heard Ben's voice in his head saying to "trust the force" and hasn't been the Dagobah yet. BTW, I have no intent of us 'bumping' into him, Han, Leia, or any of the others and having that heroic cross-over roleplay.
Good to know that we won't cross paths. However, to address your point, Luke already demonstrated a Force skill he didn't have in ANH: Move. And he's a Skywalker, the son of Anakin. His Force potential is pretty darn strong. In ANH not only was he able to demonstrate rudimentary Reflect talent, but whatever the talent is for Force-assisted aiming. The latter with no training by Ben whatsoever.

On a side note, what's really shocking to me is how strong Rey is in the Force in TFA. She's stronger than Ren (who's been trained and she hasn't been) and she has an innate ability to learn new Force powers just by watching others perform them. No Force user ever shown before has been able to come even remotely close to how fast she's been developing as a Force user. Not even Anakin after his training began. Begs the question of who she really is.

Kal Drahr
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Kal Drahr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:40 pm

@Deepspacer that was my plan. No open force use, after the Jedi fell countles force sensitives would have slipped through the cracks in the Empire's grip. Kal is one of those, he has a certain ability in some areas but to his knowledge its just training. I really went Force Sensitive for Enhance and the Talent Tree.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:43 pm

On a side note, what's really shocking to me is how strong Rey is in the Force in TFA. She's stronger than Ren (who's been trained and she hasn't been) and she has an innate ability to learn new Force powers just by watching others perform them. No Force user ever shown before has been able to come even remotely close to how fast she's been developing as a Force user. Not even Anakin after his training began. Begs the question of who she really is.
True. This "Awakens" business makes me as nervous as it does curious. So far, I am buying into how it is a rapid and powerful, sudden occurrence. I love Rey's acting and intensity. No doubt there IS an explanation out there somewhere as to her parentage. I'm just not sure if I will like the answer (Ben Kenobi love child, or something like that.) Just over a month away!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm

[off-topic]
She can't be Ben's child. She's not old enough. Ben died before she was born. TFA takes place 30 or so years after RotJ. Rey's not 30+ years old. Daisy Riddley certainly isn't that old. She'd have to be Han's or Luke's. I don't see it being Han & Leia as Leia should be able to recognize her own daughter, especially since Leia is FS herself. That just leaves Luke. Or someone completely unexpected.
[/off-topic]

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Ok I've got a background with easy ins for people who want to link up.
(this can all be found on her character profile just thought I'd post it here for ease of viewing and reference)

Background
Svae Xor Voe is named after a great Polis Massan Jedi during the Old Republic. She kind of resents it but still wants to live up to the name, she however goes by Voe.

Voe is an only child of Torx Voe and Reda Voe born 7 years before the start of the clone wars. During the clone wars her parents worked on Polis Massa as medical technicians. They occasionally traveled to help the injured people of worlds caught in the conflict. It was on these trip that Voe found that she loves to fly and fix things. When the empire came to power her parents went back to Polis Massa.

During their time on Polis Massa, in the year 18 BBY a shipping vessel named Red Dawn stopped by dropping off supplies and Voe saw her opportunity. Voe however joined the crew of the Red Dawn. There weren't many on the crew but the captain needed an extra hand and Voe wanted to get off Polis Massa.

In her travels her view on the galaxy evolved. Watching the empire come to power and treat aliens with such disdain and even enslaving some races. She needed to do something about it, but she couldn't right now. She lived a few more years with this in her heart until she became captain of the Red Dawn when the old captain retired.

During this time the rebellion was founded and Voe's parents joined very early on as head medical technicians. During one of their missions Voe's mother was discovered by the imperials and imprisoned. Reda's fate is still unknown to Vor and her father to this day.

When she could Voe and her crew went and found the rebellion and started supplying them and running goods for them.

Description
Voe is average height for a Polis Massan and scrawny too. Circular Face and gray eyes.

Personality
Unlike many pilots Voe is a humble pilot. She does what's needed and never thinks of herself. She tries to think rationally about everything but sometimes her judgement is clouded by her desire to help others.

Motivation: Species Rights

Duty (0): Resource Aquisition

So one of the ways people can get in is joining the crew when an old crew member retires.

If you have any other ideas go ahead and share I'm open to suggestions!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Here's how I've linked Vesper to Voe. Please let me know if you'd like to see any tweaks, Stneu:
The attack happened while Vesper was in residency at the Raltiir First General Hospital. The Imperial Lord Tion, citing Rebel cells on Raltiir, brought a star destroyer to the world and bombarded the surface from orbit. Vesper was among the first responders, finding herself working alongside a Polis Massan spacer named Svae Xor Voe, who had sprung into action to offer first aid to the victims of the attack. As they worked, Voe pointed out how the bombardment seemed to have targeted non-Human-majority neighborhoods. Then Vesper's superiors ordered her to ignore the most heavily impacted areas and to focus instead on helping Human victims. The memory came back in stark relief, her just standing by as her non-Human teammates had been carted away from the grav-ball court only a few years before.

Vesper ignored the order. In fact, the order made her mad. She realized she'd been enabling the Empire's atrocities with her silence. But no more. Voe said she could put Vesper in touch with the Rebel Alliance. They could use a good medic.
It's open whether Vesper traveled around with Voe a bit, or if Voe took her directly Echo Base. Whatever works best for your story, DS.

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 pm
Here's how I've linked Vesper to Voe. Please let me know if you'd like to see any tweaks, Stneu:
The attack happened while Vesper was in residency at the Raltiir First General Hospital. The Imperial Lord Tion, citing Rebel cells on Raltiir, brought a star destroyer to the world and bombarded the surface from orbit. Vesper was among the first responders, finding herself working alongside a Polis Massan spacer named Svae Xor Voe, who had sprung into action to offer first aid to the victims of the attack. As they worked, Voe pointed out how the bombardment seemed to have targeted non-Human-majority neighborhoods. Then Vesper's superiors ordered her to ignore the most heavily impacted areas and to focus instead on helping Human victims. The memory came back in stark relief, her just standing by as her non-Human teammates had been carted away from the grav-ball court only a few years before.

Vesper ignored the order. In fact, the order made her mad. She realized she'd been enabling the Empire's atrocities with her silence. But no more. Voe said she could put Vesper in touch with the Rebel Alliance. They could use a good medic.
It's open whether Vesper traveled around with Voe a bit, or if Voe took her directly Echo Base. Whatever works best for your story, DS.
I think this is great, but what if instead of meeting Voe you meet Torx (Voe's father) who is a medic for the rebellion as it would make more sense for him to be there than it would for Voe. Also as a medic he would recognize your ability more than Voe would. He then links you up with Voe and subsequently the rebellion.

Just an idea

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Sounds great, you two (Stneu73 & SavBob). Linking up backgrounds isn't a requirement, but encouraged. Let's see how that rounds out with the rest, and when solidified or you *all* synchronize together (or not), we shall begin!

I, too, like the Voe's father idea. You can have some of those "Obi-Wan talks" with young Voe.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 pm

[off-topic]
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm
She can't be Ben's child. She's not old enough. Ben died before she was born. TFA takes place 30 or so years after RotJ. Rey's not 30+ years old. Daisy Ridley certainly isn't that old. She'd have to be Han's or Luke's. I don't see it being Han & Leia as Leia should be able to recognize her own daughter, especially since Leia is FS herself. That just leaves Luke. Or someone completely unexpected.
I was making a hyperbole, as in "they do something crazy to shock the system". Stupid movie stuff. Still...Between III & IV the twins age up to about 20 and Obi-wan seems to age about 40 years. "WE" would shout out "THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!", but unfortunately, that hasn't stopped them before.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
[/off-topic]

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm
I think this is great, but what if instead of meeting Voe you meet Torx (Voe's father) who is a medic for the rebellion as it would make more sense for him to be there than it would for Voe. Also as a medic he would recognize your ability more than Voe would. He then links you up with Voe and subsequently the rebellion.

Just an idea
I like the idea of it being Voe rather than her father, since it makes the meet up seem more fated. Your character was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time: Just dropping off some supplies for the Raltiir Rebels when boom! the imps bombard the place. Voe's got some basic medical training per her rank in Medicine, so it would make sense for her to help out with the wounded until things calmed down and she could get back to the Red Dawn. Then maybe Voe was like, "So... You need to meet my father," and then brought Vesper to Torx, who recruited her into the Rebellion.

In short, it makes it so our characters met on the "field of battle" in a manner of speaking, rather than Vesper knowing you through your dad. The trauma of helping people half blown to bits by star destroyer fire would be a bond our characters would share that could help with rolepay and characterization.

Of course, if you don't see rushing to people's aid as something Voe would do in a situation like this, I can make it Torx instead. (And I don't mean that in a jerkish way). What do you think?

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:24 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 pm
I like the idea of it being Voe rather than her father, since it makes the meet up seem more fated. Your character was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time: Just dropping off some supplies for the Raltiir Rebels when boom! the imps bombard the place. Voe's got some basic medical training per her rank in Medicine, so it would make sense for her to help out with the wounded until things calmed down and she could get back to the Red Dawn. Then maybe Voe was like, "So... You need to meet my father," and then brought Vesper to Torx, who recruited her into the Rebellion.

In short, it makes it so our characters met on the "field of battle" in a manner of speaking, rather than Vesper knowing you through your dad. The trauma of helping people half blown to bits by star destroyer fire would be a bond our characters would share that could help with rolepay and characterization.

Of course, if you don't see rushing to people's aid as something Voe would do in a situation like this, I can make it Torx instead. (And I don't mean that in a jerkish way). What do you think?
Yeah that could totally work. Voe might have actually been supplying said rebel cells that caused the bombardment (provided there were actual cells). That is definitely something Voe would do. (see personality)

Stneu73
Scoundrel

Post by Stneu73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Hey Deep I just took a look at the WTII and I saw Voe's WT. It'd be amazing if he had 19 :D but alas he has 9 :'(

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:31 pm

[off-topic]
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 pm
I was making a hyperbole, as in "they do something crazy to shock the system". Stupid movie stuff. Still...Between III & IV the twins age up to about 20 and Obi-wan seems to age about 40 years. "WE" would shout out "THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!", but unfortunately, that hasn't stopped them before.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
That's because Lucas in his infinite non-wisdom decided to make Obi-wan a Padawan when Anakin was discovered. That would make Obi-wan in his mid-fifties and Alec Guinness was (and looked) older than that. Little to no consideration was given to trying to reconcile this other than "the desert aged him".

Could be worse, could be the continuity break between R1 and ANH ("several transmissions were beamed to this ship") where we see the DS plans hand-carried to the Tantive IV, and worse, Vader sees it too. So he knows they weren't beamed to the Tantive IV but instead to the cruiser in whose hangar the corvette was parked and then later hand-delivered. His troops in ANH were searching the ship's computer systems rather than looking for that data card. R1 was very dramatic in the scenes in which Rebels carry the data to the corvette while their fellows are being slaughtered by Vader, but that very drama created a problem that everyone at Disney just doesn't give a crap about.

Then there's JJ Abrams totally throwing canon out the window by having Han end a hyperjump in a planet's atmosphere! Or Cassian jumping from Jedha while also still very, very close to the planet's surface. So much for "mass shadows". Disney.
[/off-topic]

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Stneu73 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:24 pm
Yeah that could totally work. Voe might have actually been supplying said rebel cells that caused the bombardment (provided there were actual cells). That is definitely something Voe would do. (see personality)
Done! Yeah, the bombardment of Raltiir is some OG Star Wars EU stuff. I think it's from the 1981 Brian Daley radio dramas. Things get pretty dark afterward, as the Empire invades in force and puts Rebel sympathizers into concentration camps for summary execution. Voe saved Vesper's life by getting her off world, now that I think about it. Until Rogue One, Leia and the Tantive IV were actually on their way back from a relief mission to Raltiir when they came under fire form Vader in A New Hope.

Return to “Character Concepts”