Hyperlight Echos

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Hyperlight Echos

Post by SavageBob » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Anyone interested in a new Edge of the Empire game about the galactic music scene? The premise is that the PCs are a band trying to make it big. The immediate inspiration for this comes from the TV/Internet shows The Get Down, Atlanta, Vinyl, and even the game Rock Band. This game would play up the underground nature of whatever style of music the PCs play, hence the Edge connection.

As I'm envisioning things, the starting resource would be the band itself as a business (as described in Far Horizons). Each PC would have some musical ability, interpreted broadly. For instance, Charm might represent a singer, but so could Coercion in a more aggressive style of music. Computers might cover a DJ, while Coordination or Athletics might represent a percussionist. Players should be creative when satisfying this requirement. This would allow for all PCs to be official members of the band but to specialize in other aspects of the operation, like a manager-type who handles finance and negotiation, or a character who doubles as a bodyguard with some combat ability.

Play would involve various proportions of social, performance, subterfuge, investigation, and combat. Fighting would probably be something the group tries to avoid, and any scrapes would be ugly and short. Adventures would focus on the standard tropes of this genre: Getting gigs, winning fans, competing with rival groups, etc. But because this is Edge, and the music largely underground, the group would have to deal with petty crime lords, illicit venues, navigating the underworld while also courting more legitimate patrons. That said, the PCs wouldn't be hardened criminals (although some might have done time), and they should be likable sorts who generally prefer music to slinging spice or busting kneecaps. Tone would be serious but not dark, with a chance for lighter moments.

(Incidentally, I still plan to run my NIMH Genesys game in the next couple months, but after a new baby and new job, I figure it's safer to stay within Star Wars for now to get my GM juices flowing again!)

Any takers?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Hyperlight Echos

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Ooooooo!!!! Sounds very interesting. Since I am in a few already, I'll defer if others want to jump ahead of me. I've always had ideas for an Edge 'Performer' based off of Troy McClure from the Simpsons. Thinks he's real famous, did some B-side films, 6-time GGF champion (Galactic Gladiator Federation....fake wrestling....), and he sells autographs and sells merchandise. Lives off his charm. Your idea strikes that cord.

For this, maybe a Wookiee Drummer? Based off Animal from the Muppet Show. ;)
INT-based DJ/mixer Entrepreneur with some knowledge skills?

I assume our "fixer" would be the GM NPC who sets up the gigs?

Could it go something like Motley Crew? Edgy, hard rock, wild lifestyle? Rolling Stones?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:19 pm

As a TableTop version, I'd suggest a Blues Brothers "getting the band back together" pre-game where people go around drawing out the talented members from their daily lives (or troubles). However, in PBP that'd be too drawn out to play out. I may yet steal the idea for the IRL group. ;)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:36 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm
Ooooooo!!!! Sounds very interesting. Since I am in a few already, I'll defer if others want to jump ahead of me. I've always had ideas for an Edge 'Performer' based off of Troy McClure from the Simpsons. Thinks he's real famous, did some B-side films, 6-time GGF champion (Galactic Gladiator Federation....fake wrestling....), and he sells autographs and sells merchandise. Lives off his charm. Your idea strikes that cord.
The washed-up performer trope would be fun, but maybe not for this game. Think "hungry newcomers" for the vibe -- folks who are trying to make it for the first time and have to navigate the seedier side of the music industry to get there. 8-)
DeepSpacer wrote:
For this, maybe a Wookiee Drummer? Based off Animal from the Muppet Show. ;)
INT-based DJ/mixer Entrepreneur with some knowledge skills?
Both of those would be perfect. The Wookiee could also be lead singer, specialized in Coercion. Or go Don Henley and do both. :)
DeepSpacer wrote:
I assume our "fixer" would be the GM NPC who sets up the gigs?
I had intended there to be some sort of NPC who gives the band its gigs, yeah; basically a quest giver. "Hey, I can get you a gig at Borga the Hutt's palace, but I need you to do something for me while you're there..." That kind of thing. That said, there's definitely room for a "fixer" type PC. Earn from Atlanta is a good example; he's smart and driven, and his whole character arc is him trying to help his buddies from the 'hood get noticed by the people who have money.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Could it go something like Motley Crew? Edgy, hard rock, wild lifestyle? Rolling Stones?
That's a definite possibility, but I would like to capture the flavor of Atlanta and The Get Down, which are about musicians and even genres that haven't crossed into the mainstream just yet. As play progressed, PCs might get to the point where they can get their own tour ship, stay in fancier digs, get fans, etc. But to start, they'd be essentially amateurs trying to get noticed and taking odd side jobs to get people with money to support them.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:19 pm
As a TableTop version, I'd suggest a Blues Brothers "getting the band back together" pre-game where people go around drawing out the talented members from their daily lives (or troubles). However, in PBP that'd be too drawn out to play out. I may yet steal the idea for the IRL group. ;)
Oh, yeah! Another good source of inspiration. But yeah, we'd probably start with everyone already in the band and getting a gig. :) I'll mark you down as interested and hopefully draw another one or two folks. I can then try to draw some folks from the FFG boards.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:53 pm

At this point, I think I'll ask @swrider to create a forum for the game once he gets back so I can get character-creation guidelines and so on posted. Then I'll advertise for folks over at the FFG forums; don't want to draw folks over before there's a place for them to post character concepts. I'm really jazzed about this game!

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am

It sounds interesting. I've though of playing a spy/performer-style character before. I may be good for another game if I haven't stretch myself too thin....lol
Lead singer could always be an Ithorian (sonic bellow for a show ender...lol)

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 am

Hey this sounds like a great concept! I'd be really interested. Though maybe worried I don't have the musical knowledge level youd be looking for as a player?

Anyway, you can shout out @ShadoWarrior while sw is away if you're looking to set up your forum.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:45 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am
It sounds interesting. I've though of playing a spy/performer-style character before. I may be good for another game if I haven't stretch myself too thin....lol
Lead singer could always be an Ithorian (sonic bellow for a show ender...lol)
Yeah, the Performer spec would be perfect for this game, but I'd want players to think creatively about other specs that might fit the concept. For instance, an Analyst might make a good DJ, or a Heavy could be the roadie, etc.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm

ah man, I just thought of a guitar playing doctor who uses his nimble fingers honed by years of medical checks to pluck the strings of his instrument.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 am
Hey this sounds like a great concept! I'd be really interested. Though maybe worried I don't have the musical knowledge level youd be looking for as a player?

Anyway, you can shout out @ShadoWarrior while sw is away if you're looking to set up your forum.
No musical knowledge necessary. There's a lot of stuff I'll be drawing from for inspiration for the scenarios, but the PCs will be free to respond to the situations as they see fit. I'll mark you interested, then!

Ah, yes; I've seen Rider handle the new boards and didn't know @ShadoWarrior was an option. I'll PM him if he doesn't get notified by the mentions here.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm wounded. You've so quickly forgotten who the other admin of this board is?

Have fun.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Have fun.
:lol: Could never forget you, Shado. Just didn't know you and Rider had the same forum-making privileges. Thanks! :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Have fun.
Wouldn't I be the other admin? Since you were an admin for years before I was?

Shado and I have all the same privileges within the forum software. The only difference is that I own our current hosting and therefore have access to the database and source code. Which for the record I would give Shado access to as he both has the requisite skill set and I trust him, but he has never asked or needed that type of access.

Return to “Game Creation”