Legacy of NIMH

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Legacy of NIMH

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 am

So, I've got a few game ideas. I thought I'd float the one that interests me the most first. If it's not popular enough, I might go to something else, but here's the pitch:

The game will be set a few years after the film The Secret of NIMH. I'll draw inspiration from the NIMH novels, but the main "canon" will be the Don Bluth animated film from the 1980s. The PCs will all be rats or mice who were subjected to US government experiments to raise their intelligence to human levels, or they will play their descendants, who have inherited this enhanced intelligence. I'm not sure yet whether the PCs will be part of the Thorn Valley community from the film or another community who were uplifted using the same techniques, possibly somewhere else in the US.

The game system will be Genesys, which is the engine of FFG's Star Wars for those who don't know. The movie features some "magic," so I'll need to figure out how to handle that, but most characters will not have access to supernatural powers. PCs will have a Duty to Thorn Valley (or their own community if we decide to go with a different group of rats and mice). Combat will be featured, but will not be a primary focus, since fighting anything larger than rat size is likely to be fatal. A lot of the adventures will involve protecting the colony from threats, whether natural (like birds of prey), human-made (like humans building a new dam that will flood the colony), or rat-made (like a rival colony of rats).

I love this movie and would love to explore the themes of rats and mice trying to create a civilization after being granted advanced intelligence through questionable science experiments. But I only want to do the work of creating the different species and Talents and so on if at least a couple of folks are interested! What' do y'all think?

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: Legacy of NIMH

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Bob I was interested in this when you first pmed me about it a few months back and still am, I’m in 5 campaigns on the board right now though so it really depends on if I have availability.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Bob I was interested in this when you first pmed me about it a few months back and still am, I’m in 5 campaigns on the board right now though so it really depends on if I have availability.
Yeah, with so many games running or starting, it may be bad timing for something a bit unusual for this board (as in, not Star Wars, and not standard fantasy). I'm just trying to see if it's worth my time to do the world-building when I don't have an in-person group to use it with should the PbP route not work.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm

For magic, realms of Terrinoth has a Rune skill for casting, that requires runes. Something similar could work for the supernatural stuff in this.

Also, you gotta put Timmy into his place, and slap Martin around.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 pm

I haven't seen it but it kinda reminds me of the Redwall series.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Yeah, with so many games running or starting, it may be bad timing for something a bit unusual for this board (as in, not Star Wars, and not standard fantasy). I'm just trying to see if it's worth my time to do the world-building when I don't have an in-person group to use it with should the PbP route not work.
I would say it is definitely worth building. You will get people who want to play. I would be interested also, but am in to many games. If you would like I can set up a development forum for you. We actually have several. It can be set up as only visible to yourself and the Admins so you could lay out everything online and have it for when you want to run the game.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm
For magic, realms of Terrinoth has a Rune skill for casting, that requires runes. Something similar could work for the supernatural stuff in this.

Also, you gotta put Timmy into his place, and slap Martin around.
Yes, those second-generation mice should remember their place! :P

I was thinking of either runes for magic, or going psionics from the Genesys core. There's no magic in the books, and the movie never really gets into the origins of the magic there, but it would make sense for it to be a side-effect of the experimentation.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

kanila wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 pm
I haven't seen it but it kinda reminds me of the Redwall series.
It's similar, except the characters would be rats and mice in a human-dominated world. Tech level would be roughly medieval for most stuff (since everything has to be made by hand) with some clockwork stuff and stolen technology of a higher level. Knowledge (Humanity) will be a skill to cover familiarity with non-animal stuff.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 pm
I would say it is definitely worth building. You will get people who want to play. I would be interested also, but am in to many games. If you would like I can set up a development forum for you. We actually have several. It can be set up as only visible to yourself and the Admins so you could lay out everything online and have it for when you want to run the game.
That'd be great. Thanks! It doesn't hurt to tinker around with it until such a time as people are able to jump in. I need a place to fiddle with the different species, skills list, etc. And I suppose you could always delete the forum if I never get enough takers. :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 pm

It is set up and currently visible to everyone. I wasnt sure if you would want feedback/help or privacy. Let me know please. It will be visible at the top of the game creation forum.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 pm
It is set up and currently visible to everyone. I wasnt sure if you would want feedback/help or privacy. Let me know please. It will be visible at the top of the game creation forum.
That's cool to leave it visible for now. As long as everyone knows it's an early work in progress. :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Ok you also have moderator privileges in that forum. so you should be able to move posts and topics around and edit posts made by others. etc.. If you want another sub-forum besides the ones I created just let me know.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:11 pm
Ok you also have moderator privileges in that forum. so you should be able to move posts and topics around and edit posts made by others. etc.. If you want another sub-forum besides the ones I created just let me know.
Is it possible to rename the forums on my end? The acronym is NIMH rather than NIHM. (Not that it matters until the game goes live, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't gum things up if I started posting there.)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

No forum creation is limited to Admins. I don't believe I can change that. I will fix the spelling though.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:40 pm

About the magic being a result of the experimentation, I think the only inherently magical creature we saw in the movie were nicodwmus and mrs. brisbie, the first was very much experimented on and the later had his magical amulet, I think if you wanted to do magic having a combination of psyonic for the experimented mice and runes for the non experimented could be very interesting.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks s looks really interesting by the way, looking forward to seeing it up and running!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:02 pm
Thanks s looks really interesting by the way, looking forward to seeing it up and running!
Thanks! Once character-generation stuff is figured out, I'll just need to do threats, which I can design on the fly, I think. Feedback is welcome; probably here, I guess.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Buimo can Runt play? He is basically a giant rat 🐀 anyway....lol

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:50 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the rats of NIMH are more serious than Runt. :)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:24 pm

I like what I am seeing in your development so far. Might I make a suggestion? You may want to make a PbP version and a IRL version of the racial and background features which are once a session. A session is easily defined IRL but not so much in PbP perhaps something like once per day or once per two encounters.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:47 pm

swrider wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:24 pm
I like what I am seeing in your development so far. Might I make a suggestion? You may want to make a PbP version and a IRL version of the racial and background features which are once a session. A session is easily defined IRL but not so much in PbP perhaps something like once per day or once per two encounters.
Yeah, that's a good point. My thought is that we'll call a "session" once very three or four encounters (whether social, investigative, or combat), since that's what I manage to get through in my RL games generally.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:50 pm
ThreeBFour wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the rats of NIMH are more serious than Runt. :)
Runt is serious about his work, otherwise 'Idoit'-savant....lol

Return to “Game Creation”