Dark Academy: Students of Tyranny

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Dark Academy: Students of Tyranny

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Hey all,

I'd like to gauge interest in a Force & Destiny game I am planning to run.

The Premise
Graduation approaches. You have spent your lives training in this academy, some of you for as long as 15 years; the privileged wards of the Emperor himself and privy to the most intimate knowledge of his true and awesome nature. You have been prepared here for a great destiny, to be the first of the Emperor’s Hands. Soon you will take your first real steps on that grand journey.

Your primary mandate will be to seek out the hidden knowledge lost to the mists of time or hoarded by the Secretive Jedi Order. Through your service, the Emperor grants you access to great power yourselves. It is a rare opportunity.

Your training has been hard, though it has made you strong. There were more of you once, but you were weaker then. You are the elite. The very best amongst you will one day serve at the Emperor’s side.

Now, you are to embark upon your final test before you enter into service of your Emperor.

Players will take the role of newly minted Emperor's Hands - force users trained and indoctrinated in an experimental trial to serve the Emperor with the utmost loyalty in a clandestine capacity.They are special agents tasked with the acquisition of secret knowledge and granted special privilages in the field to carry out their mission. The Emperor's hands may also be called upon to use their expertise in other capacities - to lead troops or carry out sensitive covert operations, for example.

I would anticipate players starting the game, their first time in the field as it were, with a small XP boost to represent their level of training, though not yet reaching knight level.

About the GM
Experience
I am a moderately experienced GM, having run 3 campaigns in the FFG SWRPG system over both Roll20 and at the table in the last couple of years. I like to think I have a good understanding of the rules and the core concepts. I have run pre-made modules and written my own adventures and have been known to produce the odd supporting material.

Style
I lean towards a structured, objective orientated play over an open world style sandbox. That is not to say I'm not flexible or that I cannot roll with the inventive twists and turns. Rather, I strive to give players a clear sense of purpose. For this campaign, I plan for there to be a significant focus on exploration and the nature of the force.

The Players
If this is sounding intiguing to you, please let me know! If you have any questions, ask away.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd also like to get an idea of player expectations so please let me know what in particular, if anything, excites you about the concept and what you'd like to see out of the game: whether that is a lot of exploration, social interactions, combat, monsters, holocrons, rapid progression etc.

Thanks!
Last edited by SanguineAngel on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Force & Destiny interest gauge

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:27 pm

I'd be interested. I might have to see how Dr.Who's game pans out.

So many things with Force and Destiny seeing unfamiliar when compared to the movies, which makes it slightly less interesting to me.

I generally would enjoy anything that does not follow the typical path. It seems like every such Adventure is a group of padawans training and then something happens to their master.

Characters need a lot of experience to start off with decent power.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I've been putting thoughts together for something like that, myself. One thing I would like to get away from it is simply having Edge-type characters who roll Force dice with their skill checks. I wouldn't want Force characters in the edge of the Empire plot or story.

One idea I was considering was having separate XP Awards for Force powers and character development. When XP is doled out, one person may dump it all into Force powers while another goes for skills or talents. Over time, I am thinking, the disparity between characters would become greater and greater. Each players advancing as they please, but everyone not really developing their for powers as you might suspect.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm

I too will pass.

[rant]Force and Destiny just doesn't feel like star wars to me. That may sound strange, but they paired down the Jedi so much to make them balanced with everything else that they just don't seem like Jedi to me. The amount of xp needed to do things even a padawan can do in the clone wars series or in the movies is ridiculous. I understand why they did it for game balance, but it just doesn't seem right. For example Han started with a lot more xp than luke and could clearly kick his rear. They both would have gotten a similar amount of xp through out the movies but by the time Luke faced Vader he could have kicked Han's rear easily. Jedi are supposed to be special and this system just doesn't provide that feel to me as a player. [/rant]

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Count me in.

Happy to go with whatever :)

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm with Rider's opinion. It takes a lot of work by a GM to get a FaD game working properly in FFG's system. No offense intended to the OP, but I'd have to see a lot more details on how the game is set up, and about the experience of the GM with FFG's system, before I'd commit myself.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 pm

I was actually thinking about giving out separate XP for Force powers and skills/talents once my game got going, so I'll probably try that. FFG already suggests doing this for combat skills/talents vs social skills/talents in the Dangerous Covenants book, so doing it for other things isn't too far off base.

My biggest issue, as others have mentioned, is that Jedi don't really feel special. This is game balance intended for playing characters who aren't actually Jedi, I understand that,but it doesn't even let you replicate Luke well, which is an issue.

Maybe starting out with +1 Force Rating or something would help make actual Jedi characters feel more impressive. I'd need to figure out how to balance combats around that and not accidentally overcompensate, but seeing as how several people in my game feel that way, I might actually do this.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm

@SanguineAngel you have a taker or two when you want your forums created i need a name a max nunber of players estimated current players and what rulesets are allowed.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 pm
Maybe starting out with +1 Force Rating or something would help make actual Jedi characters feel more impressive.
FR of 1 is intended for minimally trained FS. Per the original EotE beta. FR 2 is what a Padawan should have. The FR scale is shown at the bottom right of page 3 of the 19-page fan-made EotE reference sheets PDF that I posted a link to long ago.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Afternoon all,

Thank you for the replies and particularly those expressing interest.

I've modified my original post, having discussed the premise with @Azzranache, with the premise for the game I intend to host.

A comment to those who have mentioned disatisfaction with the FFG force mechanics - It's a shame! But I'm not here to gainsay you. For me, I am a fan of the system, which I think is well balanced and exciting. However, it also happens to fit very nicely with my perception of force users in the Star Wars universe. Innevitably, it's always going to be horses for courses I think.

Anyway, if anyone else IS interested in the game, post here and I'll get a game forum set up.

Thanks
Last edited by SanguineAngel on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Well said.

I apologize if my post or the resulting posts came across as negative. Mine was meant more as an explanation of why I wasn't joining so you didn't think you game wasn't being supported. In retrospect, I should have just left it out and wished you the best of luck.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks, sw, no offence taken. I am certainly aware how passionate one can become around the topic of Star Wars. Probably due to the wealth of varied interpretations over the decades. I appreciate your comment though, so thank you.

And hey! That little discussion certainly added a few replies and makes this thread look quite popular!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 pm
I've modified my original post, having discussed the premise with @Azzranache, with the premise for the game I intend to host.
Reread your edited OP and I have to say I'm impressed. You're one of the rare few new members who's actually GMed the FFG system. Quite happy that you've joined our board, and I look forward to seeing you start running games here.

That said, for myself I have zero interest in playing dark side Force users. My avatar & handle is as close to the Dark Side as I get. (Last time I played a DS characters was the KotOR CRPGs and I didn't enjoy that side of the games.) So I'll be skipping this one. Otherwise I'd be highly tempted. You do have an interesting premise/concept for the game, so I'm sure you'll get plenty of bites. And I wish you the best.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Wow, I just re-read you introduction post and must say that it does sound like a fun game. And it works perfectly with the FFG system. This in spite of my previous comments. The Emperor and the Sith did not like sharing power so the emperors hand would be less powerful in my mind.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 pm

I really want to play, it sounds so cool, but given I'm already in two games and running another, I can't say I'll have time.

EDIT: Le sigh, maybe I'll have time. That being said, I'll defer to newer people if it ever comes to it. I can just enjoy playing evil Force users in the game I'm running... :twisted:
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks for discussing with me. My creative juices are already flowing for the type of character I have in mind for this.

Looking forward to when this is good to go.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. If anyone else is interested, don't be shy. I'm in the midst of writing the first adventure now so there's still some time to get involved.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 am

I think your on to something with the emperor's hand concept and exploration focus. I sway away from darkside campaigns but, I know a lot of players seek those! I'm sure you'll fill up your PC quota. Just let the admins know once your recruiting to be placed into the active games post.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Re: Dark Academy: Students of Tyranny

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

Hello all!

We've been running this game pretty successfully for a small while now. I've still got an opening for another player and I'd like to see if there's any interest in someone joining? The players are about to embark on a quest for lightsaber crystals, so now is a great time to get on board!

I know we have a few new starters here who haven't necessarily joined a game yet, a couple of previously possibly interested people here too. I figured this'd be the appropriate place to ask around!

Here is a link for anyone wanting to take a look and see if the game tickles their fancy.

If anyone's interested, just leave a note here or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Return to “Game Creation”