Galactic Racing Circuit

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
kanila
Jedi Initiate

Galactic Racing Circuit

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm playing around with an idea for a different style of game set in the Star Wars setting. Racing that will span the galaxy with races set on different planets.... At least to start.

I for one would like to get better with the flight mechanics of this system and it seems no better way than to have a game primarily dedicated to that aspect of it. With that being said I don't want to solely focus on piloting while neglecting the main reason we all play, to roleplay!

So between races players would still be able to interact with the others racers, shop for the latest upgrades for their ship and gear, and of course purchasing newer and better ships! Maybe your pilot is looking to get a sponsor too offset the costs on that expensive ship they want. Or maybe they are gunho and want to prove they can do it all on their own!

I understand this will be a Time consuming endeavor for a GM (depending on the number of players interested in this) keeping multiple parties straight when the players are primarily rivals. Let me know if anyone is interested in playing it potentially assisting with GM responsibilities.

Depending on the interest in something like this I'll start drawing up things to get this off the ground. Hope to see you moon jockies in the cockpit!
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Galactic Racing Circuit

Post by SavageBob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:14 pm

It might save your sanity if you just have the PCs all be part of one racing team rather than rival racers. That way, you can have two Pilot-focused characters (Pilot and Co-pilot), a navigator (Astrogation and Computers-focused?), a mechanic, and maybe something else, like a Face who does PR for the team or does all their wheeling and dealing.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

The face could be the bookie.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

All good points. This is mainly a way to feel out the interest.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 pm

It sounds like SavageBob has a good idea, although if you are putting a team together I would possibly consider something similar to Nascar in space and maybe add advertising endorsements and of course additional mechanics.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Well the original brain child of the concept was to have each racer start with a Z-95 and a small (low skill) NPC pit crew. With races awarding credits and potential sponsorship.

I was mainly thinking the Z-95 because it is a single pilot fighter with low cost, no hyperdrive, and limited hard points.

If the players were to form a team instead of Nascar style racing (multiple laps around a smaller course) it could be more of a Rally style race (consisting of potentially planet side and space courses) .

Again it will depend on player preference and interest. If people are interested I'll start working on it now.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:38 pm

There's an old WEG supplement that has a bunch of rival teams racing not only in real space, but also hyperspace: Secrets of the Sisar Run. It might be worth looking at for inspiration. :) I'd be interested in the team-based approach, but not really one that's competitive among players. I did some PvP on the FFG boards, and it was fun, but I miss the collaborative aspect of the game in that kind of environment.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm interested any which way you decide to play. Already enjoying working with you in our Clone game.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Definitely 3B4!

It's looking like a race team will be the way to go. Give me a chance to determine what the starting ship limitations will be. Any suggestions/requests are welcome.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:41 pm

I would love to be part of a race team, I've been wanting to do more racing ever since my first gm for edge put one together for us and I loved it ever since but had little opportunity to actually play races.

if you'll indulge me sharing the experience how my GM at the time set it up was similar to what you suggested as a relay, where everyone was trying to get to fixed points on the map and back again in order to carry cargo. All of the different flight teams were on the same team and yet on opposing teams at the same time.

how this worked was that it was set up as a race between smugglers/cargo runners versus the planetary defense in hutt space, where the opposing teams were the planetary defense ships consisting of fighter squadrons and larger vessels and the, and the cargo runners made up of ships of various types.

the defense team would win if they prevented the cargo runners from transporting a specific amount of cargo in the preordained amount of time and the cargo runners would win if they succeeded in transporting the designated amount.

the catch was that the members of both teams were also fighting against each other, with the defense teams individually trying to score the most hits against the cargo haulers, and the cargo haulers individually trying to transport the most cargo, because whichever side won their opposing objective, only one team on that side would actually win.

it had a lot of intrigue and sabotage and was a lot of fun.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 pm

That's very interesting Boutrose. Something similar could happen. I have a few ideas to keep things interesting along the way....

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:52 pm

honestly very excited for anything that could pop up, already looking at different pilot specs for what could happen.

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 pm

The major thing I feel us lacking is the vehicle mods. There are a few, but most are combat related. It'll be interesting to see how the players will choose what to put on the ship.

Speaking of ships, any thoughts for a starter ship?

And is that 4 people interested?

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 pm

well if we are not going to be on opposing teams, or even if we are going to be on the same overarching team but racing against each other like in some formula 1 races where they will have multiple racers, I think that as a company ship we should have one the silhouette 5 ship that is capable of transporting multiple silhouette 3 ships. This way we could participate in multiple types of races, relays, formula 1, and even cargo hauler races.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:56 pm

If we wanted to do this then I would set everyone up with have obligation to a sponsor who will fund our ships, have a set amount that everyone can use to buy their individual starfighters and upgrade them, there is no reason why they would need to be the same, and then have the larger transport ship either also be something we decide on to buy or that we are simply assigned by our sponsors.

the alternative being that all of the ships are provided by the sponsor as a means of advertising their specific fighter but that we can modify it as we like.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 am

I'm definitely in.

I'd also suggest the HT-2200 as a starting ship. It's a Sil-5 under 140,000 Credits and with the double front prongs that could story-wise easily be modded to hold multiple smaller ships.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 am

It seems like folks are leaning toward individual ships racing against each other (rather than a single crew on one ship), so I'll bow out. Sounds fun, but I'm just not into PvP roleplaying at the moment. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 am

so i know this isn't even something weve agreed to do yet, but if we do go sponsorship what would everyone think we should do,

being sponsored by a specific starfighter company so all our ships are of a similar make and the ship themselves is the advertisement, or

being sponsored by a non-vehicle company so that our ships can be different but all covered with adverts.

the game i played in before that did this had a non-vehicle company that sponsored us and so our ship was covered in a giant advert for doug dimidome's scruffy looking nerfherder nerf steaks.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 am
It seems like folks are leaning toward individual ships racing against each other (rather than a single crew on one ship), so I'll bow out. Sounds fun, but I'm just not into PvP roleplaying at the moment. :)
no bob we can all be on a team, please stay

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 am

Nothing is set in stone yet, still working through the build up.

My idea for the first race was for the 'crew' to be independent trying to win over a sponsor. As far as a larger ship to carry the racers, I'm leaning towards it being owned by a sponsor. Considering the overhead something like that would cost to maintain, crew and fuel would take away from the racing teams ability to modify their ship or ships.

Even flying multiple ships they could still be owned by the same sponsor, or rather endorsed. So the team, even flying separate ships, would essentially win or lose together. Could setup for some dynamic races!
Last edited by kanila on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 am

I don't think it should be a big deal to get a replacement player at this early stage, so I'd rather not sway things away from what others want to do if I'm of the minority opinion. That said, I'll continue to follow the development of the game, but if someone else wants to jump in, I'm cool with that.

Here's how team racing works for sailboats; that might be one model if folks want individual ships for individual characters. That would mean lots of Piloting specs would be used and not much of anything else, but that would be one way to do this sort of thing.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 am
I don't think it should be a big deal to get a replacement player at this early stage, so I'd rather not sway things away from what others want to do if I'm of the minority opinion. That said, I'll continue to follow the development of the game, but if someone else wants to jump in, I'm cool with that.

Here's how team racing works for sailboats; that might be one model if folks want individual ships for individual characters. That would mean lots of Piloting specs would be used and not much of anything else, but that would be one way to do this sort of thing.
That's some great info Bob. Hopefully we can see you in this one, but I can see where you're coming from. Especially if someone wanted to be a mechanic the game would be incredibly boring during a race. Plus your point about everyone essentially being the same with slightly altered stats.

There are plenty of two man ships which could give some variety to stats as the co-pilot could spec more towards navigation and support.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 am

Honestly if a single ship was to be chosen personally I would go with the HWK-290. Pilot, Co-pilot with room for two passengers.

Could still do transport races as well as others with it as well. Plus the interest for this is right around those numbers anyways.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 am

There was some talk on the FFG forums about a new ship that was introduced with the Dawn of Rebellion sourcebook, the KST-100. Seems to be just as good as the HWK, or even better. I have the book paid for, but foolishly ordered the four upcoming books at once and it won't ship until all four are available. Rumor is that the new Engineer book will release next week, though, so I may call the supplier and have them break my order up into two shipments; that would get me the book faster.

A long way around to saying; The KST-100 might be worth a look, too, if we can find stats for it. :)

(I think an all-pilots game in Sil-3 ships could work, too; would just require a liberal number of NPCs to cover the non-Agility based aspects of flying.)

EDIT: Found this post about it:
Your player is much more likely to be interested in the kst-100 on page 124 of dawn of rebellion, sil 3, speed 4, +1 handling, 1/1 defense, 2 armor, 25 WT, 20 SS, x3/x16 hyperdrive with navicomputer, 2 crew (with a berth under the cockpit), 4 passengers (each get their own room), 2 months consumables, 70 enc, 4 hp, short range sensors, and 1 linked 1 weapon system that I won't stat for you at 120K credits so it's a legal eote starting ship

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 am

That is a good ship. Stats look better than the HWK.

Return to “Game Creation”