Tales of the Old Republic game

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Tales of the Old Republic game

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:21 pm
I don't have a good name for the campaign yet.
Name? Well, "Tales of the Old Republic" works. Otherwise, it's nice when the shorthand version (TOR or TotOR) isn't taken yet on the boards. There's also the one-word titles, as well. Those seem to be all the rage with movies, seminars, and conferences of all kinds ("Legacy", "Unforgiven", etc...). Some 2-word titles are "The ____" ("The Forsaken", "Under Siege", etc...). The comes the 3-word phrases similar to Steven Seagal movies long ago (Hard to Kill, Above the Law, Out for Justice). Lastly, you have the title with the subtitle: Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 pm

I'll just stick to Tales of the Old Republic. TotOR is a nice abbreviation.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Tales of TOR is fine, if my opinion counts for anything.

I've a few questions for Doc...

Training sabers are only used within a Jedi temple. Padawans that go outside of a temple are given a full-power (aka lethal) saber, if they have not already built their own. This is all per canon, BTW. Also, Padawans near their trials would have already built their own sabers. This is also per canon, both from Legends (many examples in the EU books) and the new canon (Obi-wan in TPM is the prime example). So my question is, do we really have training (weak, stun-only) sabers, or real ones?

The supplied robes, are these considered to be common clothing (0 soak), "heavy clothes" (1 soak), or the "concealing robes" (per page 179 of FaD)?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:35 pm

I had the idea quests for people to build sabers. I can drop that idea and leave people with sabers, but I was hoping to have that be a quest thing for people. I could shuffle it around and do something else instead if people wanna start with sabers. That's no problem for me, it just means I'll look for other ways to do focus "chapters" for each PC.

So yeah, if people all want to start with Sabers, let me know, because I'll re-adjust my (as of yet) un written plans for the middle chunk of the overall campaign.

Heavy clothes. Although armor will readily be available, within reason, once things get going.

This opening post isn't final for starting stuff, I'm pretty sure I'm going to raise the bonus starting XP to put people closer to or at 100XP for example.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:42 pm

You could have, if you wanted, personalized scenes (as flashbacks) for each PC's saber creation quest. Starting with acquiring the crystal (like the episode of The Clone Wars). It's a way to still show the character development, while having the characters actually be further along in their training when the game begins.

Or, alternately, start the game with saber creation, and then skip forward to "now", whenever "now" is. Both methods will work.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 pm

I'll allow people to start with Sabers.

And this being a PbP, I want to get to the meat of the game, because there's a high chance something happens to someone and they have to drop out.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 am

I think, I've narrowed down my character from my playing around on OggDude's. But I do have a question, or 2.
I was thinking as part of character's story that he be a bit of a musician as well. What skill would that go under, Lore/Education? And if he's allow to start with instrument what's the possibility of the Saber being integral to the instrument. I was kinda think of something something similar to an oboe or clarinet type instrument, which would make it about the right size for a handle, while still giving it the possibility of enough airflow for musical sound. It would probably be a shorter tanto blade though.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:13 am

A saber is a little big and thick to work as the base for an oboe (which is a bit small). Something like a saxaphone could have a saber built into it, but I don't think an oboe is big enough to really function properly with a saber built in. You could attach it to the side of the oboe, but not inside.

I like your idea a lot, and yeah, I'm fine with you starting with an instrument. I'd make it it's own skill, but that's too much work so lets call it education. It's not quite right, since dexterity and intelligence play equal roles in being a good musician, but Education is the best I can think of.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 am

So how about a cross between a clarinet and saxaphone? About the length of a clarinet, but thickness of a sax, a unique instrument the almost nobody knows. It's a big galaxy.

The character is equal in his Agility and Intelligence with 3 each, so musical ability would be fairly even with both.

I was thinking that if we're starting with sabers, he start with the standard generic Saber, but it could be part of his quest to make the instrument integrated one.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:58 am

That instrument seems fine. I'd probably give you like... two boost to hide a weapon that is integrated into it, once you integrate your saber at some point.

Yeah, starting sabers will be generic, because there are quite a few crystal choices out there. I'll put that in the info once swrider makes a forum for the game.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:05 am

I think the instrument you are looking for is the kloo horn. A close second would be the chidinkalu.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:05 am
I think the instrument you are looking for is the kloo horn. A close second would be the chidinkalu.
The Chidinkalu looks more promising as a possibility. The Kloo Horn is taller than a Jawa.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 pm
The Chidinkalu looks more promising as a possibility. The Kloo Horn is taller than a Jawa.
Oh, wow; I didn't realize they were that long! Other choices might be the Dorenian beshniquel, the fanfar, or the slitherhorn. They seem to be more manageable in size.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Your forums are now up. Doctor Who you may want to play around and make sure all your GM privileges are working and the forums are set up the way you like.

Also, If you would like a destiny pool set up like I use in my games let me know. (the one at the top). it is generated on riders guild website, but the input to display it at the top is only accessible by an admin. You update it through the website though so it only needs admin work once.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 pm
ThreeBFour wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 pm
Oh, wow; I didn't realize they were that long! Other choices might be the Dorenian beshniquel, the ERfanfar, or the slitherhorn. They seem to be more manageable in size.
What did you do search musical instruments in Wookieepedia? The Dorenoian Beshniquel looks almost perfect to be a Saber handle.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm
What did you do search musical instruments in Wookieepedia? The Dorenoian Beshniquel looks almost perfect to be a Saber handle.
I remembered the kloo horn from the old EU and looked that up. From there, I just checked the articles on the Modal Nodes and Max Rebo Band to see what instruments those characters played.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 pm

OOC thread is up and running.

Return to “Game Creation”