Edge of the Empire Books based game

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
Trip
Flyboy

Edge of the Empire Books based game

Post by Trip » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:42 pm

I am also putting out the feelers for anyone interested in running through the FFG EotE premade games. Start with the beginner game and go through all the adventures that are made up to date. This would be a pure EotE game. No AoR or FnD careers allowed. No force sensitive either. Only use obligation (no duty or conflict).

Any careers from any of the EotE game books are allowed and welcomed.

I am not sure I can do both games (the other game is a pure FnD game) so I will start with whatever one gets 4 players first.

The FnD game I am referring to (The Irresistible Force Paradox) is on this forum page here.

I think this game will be called "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels."

Let me know if you are interested.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Edge of the Empire Books based game

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Some AoR careers and specializations should be permitted, so long as they're not AoR-focused (which Propagandist is, for example, or anything in Commander).

You already know that I'm interested, else you wouldn't be asking. :P So count me in.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:10 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm
Some AoR careers and specializations should be permitted, so long as they're not AoR-focused (which Propagandist is, for example, or anything in Commander).
Let's just say that the EotE careers are pre-approved. The Force and Destiny are automatically denied. And AoR are denied unless there is a good reason for the player wanting to roll that career. I cannot think of any AoR major careers that does not have an equivalent version in EotE books.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 pm

The issue is a player being able to get the skills he (or she) wants as career skills, and that a talent tree from the AoR book may fit the player's concept better than one from the EotE book. One example that I often see is the Medic spec from Soldier. This is typically a better build than what can be gotten from the EotE book (because it allows the doctor weapon skills as career skills). And the three Ace specs tend to make better pilot characters than what you can get in the EotE book. That's just off the top of my head.

Don't get hung up on a career/spec's name and/or source book. They're just collections of career-tagged skills and talents. What's most important is the backstory that the player creates for the character. A soldier/medic might be an Imperial deserter on the run or a Mandalorian mercenary selling his services to whomever can pay. The tree that best fits may be in the AoR book but the concept is EotE. While Han is considered to be a Smuggler (EotE), the character concept could also be built with the Ace career. In Legends, Han used to be an Imperial Navy cadet.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 pm

I agree with you. I am just saying that if you want an automatic approval, then EotE careers are good to go. For anything else AoR, I am flexible but the players still need to make a case as to what they will be doing with the AoR character.

jimmy1cake
Scoundrel

Post by jimmy1cake » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 pm

I'd be interested in this too. I won't play FaD game because I have already played it as you know but I don't think I've played the one for EoTE yet.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 am

*bump*

I'm still interested in this.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 am
*bump*

I'm still interested in this.
Do we want to try it with just two players to start?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 am

I don't think the beginner game adventure can be done with just 2, unless we each run two PCs. Ideally, the party should have a good techie and a good face. A good rogue (Cunning person) is helpful. And, of course, one or more Agility-based builds. I'm trying to avoid rereading the module (I've already run it as a GM, a couple of years ago, but never been a player in it) so I can't say for certain how useful a rogue is.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:22 am

If you need more folks, I'd be up for joining. I've run the F&D introductory adventure, but not the EOTE one. I just didn't want to wear out my welcome when I'm still getting my feet wet in two other games as a newcomer. (In other words, feel free to tell me no. :) )

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 am

You cannot "wear out your welcome" by being an active member of the board.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 am
:lol: Works for me.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:57 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 am
So true. Commitment level and dependability go a long way. We all want to play and/or GM, so we just need people who desire the same as we do.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

I've created the forums for this game, and I've updated the Actives Games topic. Now all we need is for Trip to get things started. Let's make sure that all the most important archetypal roles are covered (face, tech, rogue, gun-bunny, pilot). I'd prefer not to be the face as I'm already playing that role in Rider's game, but I'll do it if no one else steps up. I'd also prefer not to play the tech for the same reason. I'll call dibs on the pilot, just to make sure that we have one. Unless someone else really has their heart set on that role.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm flexible, but I have a couple of ideas for face characters. I'll claim that role unless DeepSpacer or someone really has a hankering to go with that position.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that Deep won't take the face role. He's already playing one in my AoR game, and not because he's thrilled with playing face types. :lol:

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm
I can pretty much guarantee that Deep won't take the face role. He's already playing one in my AoR game, and not because he's thrilled with playing face types. :lol:
I have another 'face' put together in the FAD game, if it ever gets up and running. I don't mind 'face' types. I do mind calling them 'face' types. I do not like filling roles, I prefer creating characters. I mean, you don't go through real life choosing up your IRL friends by what "roles" they fill. "Hmmm....I need one friend with a 300lb bench press (Brawn), one friend with computer skills (INT), and one friend who's good with women (but it helps!) (Presence), and another friend with a concealed-carry permit (gunman)." You usually end up with a bunch of guys with some basic things in common, similar life goals, similar values, and a few guys with unique skills. IMO, I imagine an EotE groups runs better that way than by filling roles. Of course, no reason you can't have both, but I'm not going to force it.

That being said, I'll likely come up with a rogue-type. Or else a gunman-type.
Last edited by DeepSpacer on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 pm

I've got a Klatooinian pilot created in Oggdude's. Now I just need to write up a backstory so that I can post him in the concepts forum for people to look at and comment upon, and for Trip to create posts in the game's forums so that we can get the game started.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm looking at a Performer who will, when possible, cross-spec into Martial Artist. Think Jackie Chan, or a "face" professional wrester, but very, very early in his career and after having gotten caught up with some sleazy people to whom he owes Obligation.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 pm

I am working on the Forums

Return to “Game Creation”