New Edge of the Empire Game

If you would like to start up a new game Please make a post here discussing the game concept and gauging interest.
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

New Edge of the Empire Game

Post by swrider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:01 am

There have been a lot of new people joining and the suggestion of making a new game has come up so there are more slots. Typically GMs would put their ideas here and see if anyone is interested. SInce there are a few GMs willing to lead the game I though we may do this backwards.

If you are interested in joining a new Edge based game please put down some ideas for a game you would be interested in.

A few suggestions to include.
  • Do you prefer premade games? which have been your favorite?
  • Do you prefer custom games? what do you enjoy in your games?

jimmy1cake
Scoundrel

Re: New Edge of the Empire Game

Post by jimmy1cake » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:38 am

I think it would be good to do another OR era

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:03 am

I don't know much about the old republic except what we see in the prequels and the clone wars. What about that time frame interests you?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:36 am

The Old Republic era is basically FaD, even with characters built using Obligation (EotE). Anything more than 1000 years BBY (prior to the Rule of Two) and you have open warfare between the Sith and the Jedi. This affects the flavor of any game placed in that setting. Non-Force users will still be impacted by the Force, no matter how much they might wish to avoid it.

Besides having extensive experience myself in playing KotOR and SWTOR, I also ran a d20 Saga Edition SWRPG game set in the SWTOR period.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:56 am

Force users and old republic. Two of my weaker areas. Shadow are you still interested in starting another as this is more your strength?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:51 am

Willing to start another game? Yes. Eager to do so? Not so much. As long as our members have at least one game that they can play in I'd prefer not to extend myself into running yet another game. I'm already running 3 and playing in 2 more.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:17 am

I'd also be interested in GM'ing a campaign at some point, but I already have 3 PC's to manage and an IRL campaign to run. AofR and FaD aren't ones I am proficient in, but it'd be easy enough to replicate an IRL Edge campaign I already have in whole or parts.
  • Venture City: players flee to the Outer Rim to escape their pasts and make a new fortune for themselves in the Corporate Sector.
  • Imperial Occupation: players attempt to achieve victory under Imperial Occupation in a sector of space

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 pm

I like the venture city idea.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm

I agree with Trip. Especially if one or more of their pasts come looking for them. Most GMs that I've seen running EotE don't use Obligation as it was designed to be used in shaping a campaign.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Trip wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 pm
I like the venture city idea.
Venture Logo (with text).png
Venture Logo (with text).png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Maybe if life becomes a bit less busy I could run a version of it, adapted for PBP.
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm
by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 pm
I agree with Trip. Especially if one or more of their pasts come looking for them. Most GMs that I've seen running EotE don't use Obligation as it was designed to be used in shaping a campaign.
The key here was that everyone has a reason to flee the Core Worlds for the Outer Rim. Some had secretive reasons, some were more open. The one driving force was one player who has a tendency to play paranoid characters who get on the first freighter out-of-dodge once he feels threatened. My theory was: If he already fled the Core Worlds to the ORim, then he can't so readily flee to somewhere safe. I also have to cater the campaign to avoid putting him in such a situation (like being found by bounty hunters, or being identified by Imperials.). We also all started a shipmates for a freighter captain and had a further reason to stick together.

Yes, this group avoids taking on Obligation like the plague. They don't use it as a flowing tool to get things. They'll walk away from a good deal if they can avoid obligating themselves.
advertising II.jpg
advertising II.jpg (155.35 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Trip
Flyboy

Set up a colony

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I thought it would be fun if all the players took a character from the Colonist Career. Then the group had a bright idea of settling on Taris after Malak destroyed it to earn their fortune. It sounded like an easy opportunity to have them to earn cash or seek adventure. The conflict could be that they are always having to deal with rakgouls and unscrupulous salvagers and pirates. Also it would be a fun role play to have drama within the colony as well. Maybe have a town drunk... Any volunteers to be the town drunk?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Speaking for myself, I didn't much enjoy the Taris of 300 years later in SWTOR, and I think the Taris soon after KotOR would be far less fun. The PCs would have to be some kind of stupid, or really desperate, to think that Taris is a good place to go to improve their lives. Anyone with half a brain would (literally) kill to get off the planet.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:43 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 pm
Speaking for myself, I didn't much enjoy the Taris of 300 years later in SWTOR, and I think the Taris soon after KotOR would be far less fun. The PCs would have to be some kind of stupid, or really desperate, to think that Taris is a good place to go to improve their lives. Anyone with half a brain would (literally) kill to get off the planet.
That is probably true. But what about the basic concept? Just replace the planet with another one that would make more sense? Maybe even do it in a different era as well?

Just thinking outloud here.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm

For me, a campaign that spends all of it's time on one planet would grow boring. At least Taris has the virtue of having interesting (albeit dangerous) scenery. Getting stuck on some miserable rock like Jakku or Jedha? No thanks. Even a pastoral world like Dantooine would be boring.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm
For me, a campaign that spends all of it's time on one planet would grow boring. At least Taris has the virtue of having interesting (albeit dangerous) scenery. Getting stuck on some miserable rock like Jakku or Jedha? No thanks. Even a pastoral world like Dantooine would be boring.
Yeah, you are probably right. Although a good GM and some good role playing may make it fun or it could be just another soap opera.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Trip wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 pm
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm
Yeah, you are probably right. Although a good GM and some good role playing may make it fun or it could be just another soap opera.
Have you read the Far Horizons book? It has some interesting ideas for stories based on a colony.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I read that book when it was first published. I suppose I should reread it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Set up a colony

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Trip wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm
I thought it would be fun if all the players took a character from the Colonist Career. Then the group had a bright idea of settling on Taris after Malak destroyed it to earn their fortune.
Sounds like Little House on the Prairie. I don't think that colonists is used in the way that you are interpreting it. I don't think any of those careers specs have the survival skill.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:59 pm

Sounds like there is a lot of interest. I personally am in enough land based campagins and would prefer to see one based primarily in space. Say a rebel fighter squadron, or a pirate ship. something along those lines.

And yes Shado I know far orbit project fits this description, sorta.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 am

But FOP isn't a small-group game. Hence your 'sorta'.

Return to “Game Creation”