OOC: The Holodisk

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS
Use DS
Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC: The Holodisk

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:25 am

Flamiel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 pm
Sadly, yes. If this guy were the actual slaver (and not just a merc), she'd probably off him herself. Do BA or Monty have a different opinion? They can certainly intervene.
Doctor Who
Monty's a GM-PC and would probably argue the point in a brief dialogue should we turn it over to Cornelius. It's fine to let AA and BA hand him over to his fate. Perhaps, even, Cornelius will keep him around a while. Cornelius had harsh issues with the gangs ruining neighborhoods while the CSF was undermanned and neglecting the Coruscant undercity. He probably has a slightly different outlook on non-street gang members. So it's not necessarily an immediate death sentence.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 am

Hmm, this guy has apparently been radicalized, too. Can Anjali attempt a mind trick to get the guy to rethink his life choices?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 am

Flamiel wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 am
Hmm, this guy has apparently been radicalized, too. Can Anjali attempt a mind trick to get the guy to rethink his life choices?
Influence - Control? Lasts 1R - 5min. Difficulty RPP (ImageImageImage).

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:36 am

Yeah, the Control, but I'm thinking more like plant a seed for him to question his beliefs/choices, kind of like Obi-Wan did in Episode 2 to that guy selling death sticks. If it's only going to last 5 minutes and then he'll snap out of it and go completely back to his usual self, it's not really worth trying. On the other hand, it could be a good learning experience for Anjali.
Spoiler:
Anjali; Alpha Squad; Influence Mind Trick Discipline:
0 Success, 0 Advantage, 2 Light Side , 1 Dark Side

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Of course, if the roll fails it's all moot. :roll: It's always struck me as odd the difference between using Mind Trick and just doing the other Influence Control for the Charm/Deception check. The latter seems much stronger, because you can use the Image for ImageImage, so it's hard to see why you would opt for the Mind Trick over just the normal skill check with Influence.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Would've suited me better to have Mind Trick and the other common Jedi stuff to just be like AD&D Orisons or 0-level spells.

I think the active words are "can force the target to believe". The influence with skill check is always subjective. I can't 'Charm' someone into believing I am their long-lost brother and Deceit will only work so far to that effect. I saw the Disc-vs-Disc. played out on a podcast through a particular villain with a 5 Willpower and 3-4 yellow dice. It took me a long time to figure out what the villain was using. ..."That woman WASN'T your mother, Bher. I don't know who she was, but it wasn't your mother." ...... "I'm YOUR BROTHER, your long lost brother. We're brother and sister!" That stuff weaving in and out of combat was awesome. The use of illusions was awesome, too. There were times when a player basically was swinging at an illusion for minutes after the npc had left. Made for great story-telling. Dice for Brains podcast.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 am

As I was pondering the next steps, I came to the conclusion that this is a good time for a break between scenes! I will start new IC & OOC threads shortly. Please continue to use the current threads until it is ready to go. A couple of things to resolve:
  • (1) Would you like to simply 'hand-wave' some of the small details (the captives, the shuttle) and get on with finding these people? That is, you get a little more information from them/it, off-screen, and then go forward with pursuing it?
  • (2) Would it be correct in saying the A-Squad will take the fight to the masterminds of this all?
  • (3) Would you prefer to do it 'Trojan Horse' style using their shuttle (now, while still wounded) or give it some time and come back healed up and having done some scouting & research?

+25 XP
**Strain healed. Wounds & Criticals, yet to be determined.
Please give a short blurb about how you spend the XP so I can be aware of new Force Powers, Skills or Talents you may acquire that I should account for.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 am

I'd like to explore the ship IC, since we're taking it.

Also, BA would like to patch himself up a bit, two criticals is a lot.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 am

Yeah, definitely need to rest up. I'm okay with hand waving details. Anjali's first priority will be to tend to BA and the freed slaves. She'll want to see if she can remove those devices. She'd inspect them to see if she can learn anything useful, but otherwise she'll destroy them.

I do think Anjali would want to press the issue with this operation, to liberate any other slaves and shut it down to prevent more, but healing up and planning is the approach to take. Possibly keep that ship, depending on what use we can find for it. Would want to scour it for more tracking/homing devices as well as unpleasant security measures. Might have some other interesting "personal" contents if it's more than just a throwaway shuttle.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 am

Flamiel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 am
Yeah, definitely need to rest up. I'm okay with hand waving details. Anjali's first priority will be to tend to BA and the freed slaves. She'll want to see if she can remove those devices. She'd inspect them to see if she can learn anything useful, but otherwise she'll destroy them.
I can have Anjali make three Medicine checks to perform the procedures. Difficulty HARD, upgraded once one each check. I think ONE boost from someone assisting with instruments, and such, ONE boost from that med kit (?), and ONE boost from taking our time in a relaxed environment w/o stress. ADV or Threats pass into the next check as Boosts or Setbacks.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Anjali computers check on the Sith shuttle:

Anjali; Alpha Squad; Computers check on Sith shuttle:
1 Success, 3 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 am
Flamiel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 am
I can have Anjali make three Medicine checks to perform the procedures. Difficulty HARD, upgraded once one each check. I think ONE boost from someone assisting with instruments, and such, ONE boost from that med kit (?), and ONE boost from taking our time in a relaxed environment w/o stress. ADV or Threats pass into the next check as Boosts or Setbacks.
Medicine Check 1:
Spoiler:
Medicine Check 2 with a passed boost from check 1: That's a lot of advantages on the failed 2nd check. Could I burn those for a re-roll on that one?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 am

Flamiel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm
That's a lot of advantages on the failed 2nd check. Could I burn those for a re-roll on that one?
Sure. Go ahead. Re-roll and no damage to the subject due to the failure.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Ugh. Wow. I'm not sure where to even go with this....

Anjali; Alpha Squad; Medicine check on slave 2, passed boost reroll:
1 Failure, 8 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Those were two rolls with a 22% chance to fail. Probably about half that % to go back to back. I'm not sure to go with it, either.

You can make a third roll, using those boosts.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 pm

Goodness, 2 maybe 3 blues should have been blank, but at least no Despairs in all of that. I'm thinking the 5 advantages gives Anjali a very good understanding of how these devices work and how they're implanted. Maybe reduce difficulty on a future check on Slave 2? Not sure what we're going to do about Slave 2 in the meantime, though. That implant tracking is a liability. Or maybe the 5 advantages at least clue Anjali in on disabling the implants tracking device in Slave 2?

Anjali; Alpha Squad; Medicine check on slave 3, passed 4 boost :
2 Successes, 5 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 pm

When time permits, BA can roll to Perception check to search the shuttle.
 ! Message from: DeepSpacer
BA can roll the group's combined Perception check. Difficulty HARD. YGG + 2 Boosts

With the advantages, I'll say that Anjali can understand how to "block" their signal. i.e. lead shielding, tinfoil hat, etc.... ;)

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 pm

OK, I'll get it up tomorrow.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 pm
OK, I'll get it up tomorrow.
No problem. It appears we survived todays ice storm in Virginia without losing power (So far!!!). I am just getting around to some Nemeses posts, myself. I was just plain tired all day with the confusion not knowing what the outcome would be today.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:14 am

With some research on these locations, more information could possibly be learned. With 'Hofton Towers', is is plainly known with common research that it is a general business office building. Knowledge rolls can be made using Caspo as an assist.
  • VibraTech Enterprises: Knowledge EDUCATION roll. HARD + Setback die. +1 Boost for Caspo.
  • Dxun: ONE check for galactic knowledge OUTER RIM, AVG. Caspo has 1 Rank of Outer Rim.
  • Dxun: ANOTHER check for LORE, AVG + Boost. Caspo has 1 Rank of Lore.
Anjali can make these combined rolls. It'll help to set the stage for where we go next. Use DP's as you wish since they will reset in the next scene.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 am

I wonder if these slaves have seen anything more of this operation than beyond Coruscant; any more intel they could offer. We also need to figure out something to do with them. Do we keep them on board as passengers as we travel into danger? Our ship isn't made for combat, so we probably wouldn't have to worry about direct confrontation, but if we get followed back to it again like this time, they'll be in possible danger. Maybe detour to someplace they can be dropped off and get a fresh start?

Another thought: I wonder if Anjali could craft an item, maybe using some of the technology in those devices, to act as a remote control similar to what the Dr. was using, except hers could disable the device from a distance. Oh, and we've even got a test subject... 8-) (j/k!)

Something else on Anjali's list is to start putting some hours into studying Medicine with those hologoggles, to get the benefit of making it a career skill. I think her current XP is going toward learning the Farsight Force power and a couple upgrades for it (fine details and transparent), as well as the Ebb/Flow Strength upgrade.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am

Flamiel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 am
I wonder if these slaves have seen anything more of this operation than beyond Coruscant; any more intel they could offer.
They are Coruscant natives, for the most part. They suspect one of those locations is a corporate office, one their employers call. They have no off-world experience.
Flamiel wrote:
We also need to figure out something to do with them. Do we keep them on board as passengers as we travel into danger? Our ship isn't made for combat, so we probably wouldn't have to worry about direct confrontation, but if we get followed back to it again like this time, they'll be in possible danger. Maybe detour to someplace they can be dropped off and get a fresh start?
I had figured we'd do our part and drop them off somewhere to start a new life. Pull some strings, bestow them some credits, get them a starting job. Typical A-Team (A-Squad) happy ending. Coruscant has near one trillion inhabitants. Anywhere else on the planet is a new start.
Flamiel wrote:
Another thought: I wonder if Anjali could craft an item, maybe using some of the technology in those devices, to act as a remote control similar to what the Dr. was using, except hers could disable the device from a distance. Oh, and we've even got a test subject... 8-) (j/k!)
A good use of those Advantages!!! I am not a craft-item expert in this game, so I suspect something like a HARD check plus time spent would get that done. HARD + three boost dice, I think is fair. Knowledge: Education (Caspo had 1 Rank).
Flamiel wrote:
Something else on Anjali's list is to start putting some hours into studying Medicine with those hologoggles, to get the benefit of making it a career skill. I think her current XP is going toward learning the Farsight Force power and a couple upgrades for it (fine details and transparent), as well as the Ebb/Flow Strength upgrade.
Successful use of the 'fine details' power could yield another boost die on that craft check, one would think. Or, reduce it to an AVG difficulty, since it is particularly useful on such a small device.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:40 am

BTW, three 1,000-credit sticks also on the body. That'd be 1,000cr per BA, AA, Monty.

Consider also what you may want to purchase. New Armor? New Vibroax? Upgrades & mods to existing weapons.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:43 pm

I like all those ideas. 3 credit sticks? Sounds like one per slave to me....

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Flamiel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:43 pm
I like all those ideas. 3 credit sticks? Sounds like one per slave to me....
That's great 'starting-out' money. :)

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm

@Doctor Who , Anjali can probably repair your axe (I think it was just one damage step, and it's like 3 before it's destroyed), and she'd also like to take a close look at your lightsaber to figure out how it works, if BA is okay with that.

And we should procure more grenades, I think.

Return to “Discussion”