OOC Game Play Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS
Use DS
Update
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC Game Play Discussion

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Sorry, busy yesterday and today helping new roommates move in. I'll try to post something this evening if possible.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm
Sorry, busy yesterday and today helping new roommates move in. I'll try to post something this evening if possible.
No problem. It'd be good for each (Anjali, too) to post something brief about their action before revealing anything else. I just posted last night. ;)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Oh dear; 2 Threats on scanning the cabinet (but 4 Successes)...

Alamy has a Talent that lets her ignore 1 Setback on Perception checks (and which speeds up her searches by 100%). But is it dark enough in here to warrant a setback or two on such checks?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:28 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:54 pm
Oh dear; 2 Threats on scanning the cabinet (but 4 Successes)...

Alamy has a Talent that lets her ignore 1 Setback on Perception checks (and which speeds up her searches by 100%). But is it dark enough in here to warrant a setback or two on such checks?
Ah... I usually try to add in Setbacks, especially if a PC has such talents, but not always just to add them for that purpose. Maybe next time. ;) However, speeding up the search for Alamy may have a benefit coming up. We'll see!

{Edit}
Also, keep in mind that a successful Perception check only reveals what is already there to be found. It does not make the items/info you are searching for bubble up to the surface. That is, rolling a Triumph searching a sock drawer still only reveals socks. ;)

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 am

We are all here, correct? In the room? Want to verify that before i say anything.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:44 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 am
We are all here, correct? In the room? Want to verify that before i say anything.
Yep, just barely started searching. Not structured time, but just allowing each player to "take a turn". Monty went to the table, Alamy went through the gray panel drawers on the wall.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 am
BA moves to look over at the stuff AAA is looking at.

"Datapads an' comlinks, good. Is there a way ta copy the info on 'em quick and without leavin' evidence?
That's a very good question. Is there? Maybe jack a personal datapad into them to copy their content (datapads) and their comm logs (comlinks?)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Comlinks are basic, tune 'em to a frequency. Not like cellular phones, IMO.
Assuming characters have cables, a datapad, hacking stuff, a computer, or some reason to believe that they'd have connectors, then it can be done with ease. No security measures put on a datapad, just 4 frequency numbers.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm

swrider wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Everyone, my personal and professional lives and combined to create the week from Hell. I will be traveling throughout the state all week and expect to put in around 55 hours of work. In addition to this my final papers for all three of my masters courses are due this week along with a variety of standard homework. These two factors are combining to equal little to no free time. Additionally, I do not anticipate having much brain power left on any given day to do much besides stare at a television and wonder if it is worth turning it on or not. As such I do not expect to have any free time this week to post in any of my games. I apologize for the inconvenience and short notice, but only noticed the workload this weekend. My work trip was anticipated to be much lighter, but I am covering down for a coworker out on bereavement leave. It is also not customary to have the final report due in week seven as it is usually due in week eight. Please feel free to role play in the games I run. If a player would like to step in to GM minor encounters please feel free to do so. In uprising, please feel free to use Hell as an NPC.
@DeepSpacer thank you for stepping up. If you would be willing to do so for a bit longer I would appreciate it.

My week did not go as planned. On Wednesday I got a phone call from my wife that my grandfather was in the hospital. Since I was working in the area my family lives and passing through the city they live in specifically I stopped and had lunch with them. I was told my grandfather had a bladder infection. Continuing on with my work and heading to the next city on my list I got a phone call after I finished dinner. My wife informed me that the Doctors at the IC in Tucson said the family should be making their way to the hospital. I quickly got permission to put an extra ~200 miles on the work vehicle and drove to the hospital. I got there in time to hear the decision to take him off of life support. Per his and my grandmothers wishes as defined in their will. I stayed until 11:00pm when I had to leave and was informed that my grandfather passed away at 1am Thursday. I will be continuing this trip through Tuesday have work wed through Friday and fly out Saturday for a week to Baltimore. My grandfathers body is being flow back to be buried next to his family. I will not have a lot of time this week or the next and am not sure how much Interest I can muster for gaming at the moment. Please continue without me until I can get back is September. I appologize for any inconvenience and for the delay to the games.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 am

Rider, sorry to hear that, and no worries about us. Do what you need to do. :-)

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 am

@group,

Sorry for my absence. Anjali is there searching and ready to scan what AAA has found.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:04 am

@swrider Wow! My support and prayers are with you. We've had two such situations in the last three years, here, with a family member and a friend, ages 37 and 41. :(
I hope that all goes well with the family and the travels.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:15 am

My prayers are with your family, @swrider

Guys, is this BA's time to shine? Rips the droids head off so it can't use any internal comlink?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:18 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:15 am
Guys, is this BA's time to shine? Rips the droids head off so it can't use any internal comlink?
Quite! Whatever happens, I prefer it is not discussed, at-length, OOC. This is more a gut-reaction circumstance. "No time to discuss it in committee!"

{{EDIT}}
I had to look up the C-3PO clip to get the exact dialogue. ;)

If it is Combat, normal difficulties apply. Willpower (1) and Presence (2) for any vs skill checks to deceive, persuade, or coerce.
Last edited by DeepSpacer on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 am

is there a roll to identify if the droid has any visible signs of an installed comlink?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:24 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 am
is there a roll to identify if the droid has any visible signs of an installed comlink?
No visible signs of an installed comlink, which would normally be a small antenna sticking out of the head. Internal comlinks, you know, are a more specialized enhancement. This looks like a run-of-the-mill servant droid.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 am

No technical lies, so hopefully no deception roll needed :P

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 am
No technical lies, so hopefully no deception roll needed :P
One way or another, the route is a form of deception or charm. It is being convinced to do something out if the norm. (Withhold info, not call security, not tell master...). Trying to convince it this is an inspection and not a break-in, IMO, is a form of deception. ..to believe something that isn't true.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm

We are in fact inspecting the place, though. We just broke in to do it :P

But yeah, I'll attempt to make a check (and probably fail, but you know :P )

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm
We are in fact inspecting the place, though. We just broke in to do it :P

But yeah, I'll attempt to make a check (and probably fail, but you know :P )
that's putting a lot of faith in a Droid do not spill the beans. On a social check, you're not going to necessarily know if your character was successful or not and convincing the Droid not to speak of this. But then, droids are simple-minded machines.

It was you who suggested ripping the droids head off. Although, that presents the issue of the captain seeing that something is amiss when he returns.

There is always the "broomstick- through-the-torso" method and staging it as a routine cleaning accident. ;)

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Well, BA literally offered to go help the droid clean, so hopefully it couldn't use a comlink, unless one is installed, in which case we're already screwed.

And we can figure out how to stop the droid from doing stuff later when we finish searching.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Okay. A deception is going to be D+S. The setback for suspicious circumstances.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Spoiler:
BA; Alpha; Deception:
0 Success, 0 Advantage

ImageImageImageImage
It's a straight wash.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 am

Any chance of adding an assist to that?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 am

Flamiel wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 am
Any chance of adding an assist to that?
I see it like it plays out on TV, movies, or cartoons. The group gets busted, the uncharismatic strongman make a clumsy (first) attempt to come up with an excuse, and then the smooth-talker steps in and says, "What he meant was..."

Rather than a boost, I would rather see a second roll with a boost from either Monty or Alamy (or, a combined check) if they can weave in an IC that reasonably supports the story. Adding setback for BA's clumsy attempt. I don't usually permit a second try, but it fits the narrative well.

Net Difficulty D + SS (one for situation, one for failed attempt).
Combined Deception check:
- Alamy has YYGG, Anjali has YGG
+1 Boost if another narratively supports the story.

Return to “Discussion”