The Game Concept

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS
Use DS
Update
Trip
Flyboy

Re: The Game Concept

Post by Trip » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 am

IRL I was actually getting a little uncomfortable with 0A getting accused of something he didn't do. So I guess PVP in this game bothers me as well. Huh...didn't see that coming.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 am

Hard Nox is known for that. He is kind of a throw blame and see where it sticks kinda character, but your PCs introduction is very suspicious so it is good he is role playing it that way. The first time you take out a real threat he should loosen up.

Matt Skywalker
Scoundrel

Post by Matt Skywalker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am

If you don't mind me joining I'll be a soldier trailblazer
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 am

Trip wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 am
IRL I was actually getting a little uncomfortable with 0A getting accused of something he didn't do. So I guess PVP in this game bothers me as well. Huh...didn't see that coming.
No PVP intended, Trip. Notice I downgraded and went for a "Test of Strength" (wrestling) rather than combat. 'Nox is a tribal warrior from Kintan. I like to think that one of his customs is Trial by Combat, Omens, superstitions, the will of the gods, stuff like that. I don't see it as him 'throwing blame', he just states the obvious, rather bluntly. He's more of a typical dumb warrior. Does not hold a grudge. his thoughts about Ari were more about, "that's what may come when you don't do it the god's way."

I think some sort of confrontation was 'expected' in-play. (And it made for GREAT RP'ing!!!) We found out more about your character in that instance than in 'polite conversation'. You've got to see it how other characters see it. Sure, we could hand-wave it by since we know you are to be part of the group, but the you're the only one on the station and someone had to set the computer to attack us. Actually, it's sort of bothering me that we didn't get to that source since you were adamant about not being the one.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 am
Trip wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 am
No PVP intended, Trip. Notice I downgraded and went for a "Test of Strength" (wrestling) rather than combat. 'Nox is a tribal warrior from Kintan. I like to think that one of his customs is Trial by Combat, Omens, superstitions, the will of the gods, stuff like that. I don't see it as him 'throwing blame', he just states the obvious, rather bluntly. He's more of a typical dumb warrior. Does not hold a grudge. his thoughts about Ari were more about, "that's what may come when you don't do it the god's way."

I think some sort of confrontation was 'expected' in-play. (And it made for GREAT RP'ing!!!) We found out more about your character in that instance than in 'polite conversation'. You've got to see it how other characters see it. Sure, we could hand-wave it by since we know you are to be part of the group, but the you're the only one on the station and someone had to set the computer to attack us. Actually, it's sort of bothering me that we didn't get to that source since you were adamant about not being the one.
Yes it's fine. I was having fun.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 am

I see your forum post on FFG. On there, I am DurosSpacer. I suppose I had a deep-space Duros pilot on my mind at the time. He was going to return from a long trip and know NOTHING about the Empire, Rebellion, or anything else. When he left, the Republic was doing just fine.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 am

Matt Skywalker wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am
Glad to have you. I need to check with another player as to which role he is playing. I'll let you know soon. In the meantime, please read through the new player forums. Thanks for joining!

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 am
I see your forum post on FFG. On there, I am DurosSpacer. I suppose I had a deep-space Duros pilot on my mind at the time. He was going to return from a long trip and know NOTHING about the Empire, Rebellion, or anything else. When he left, the Republic was doing just fine.
Cool!
I accidentally created two profiles, reynolr1 and wileekoyote. But my preference is wileekoyote.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 am

At the risk of continuing to discuss a different game, the only reason we didn't "get to that source" is that the GM interrupted us. Ari fully intends to go back into the base. We have quite a bit of unfinished business there. Whether we ever get that chance is kinda out of my control. I can't, in good conscience, ignore the distress call. No offense at 'Nox, but Ari (however ruthless she may sometimes seem) isn't as mercenary or bloodthirsty as 'Nox.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 am
No offense at 'Nox, but Ari (however ruthless she may sometimes seem) isn't as mercenary or bloodthirsty as 'Nox.
That's just how we settle things on Kintan, however trivial.
e.g. "That's MY sock, not yours!"
"Well, a test of strength will settle this!!!"

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:44 am

Matt Skywalker wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am
The other player @milktoast wants to be the tank. So if you want you can chose to be the "Face" by picking a career that fits that role or if you want to be a soldier\trailblazer, you can fill the 5th slot. I don't think that soldier\trailblazer would fit the role of "Face". If you pick the 5th spot, would you want your PC to be Force Sensitive? I appreciate you joining, so I don't want to say you have to be the "Face" if you don't want it.

Matt Skywalker
Scoundrel

Post by Matt Skywalker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Sure I'll be a human colonist marshal
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

PC choices

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 pm

So it looks like we already have a boss man, a strong man, and someone who wants to be the pilot. Correct?

So, does that leave a face man and a technology or mechanical person?

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 pm
So it looks like we already have a boss man, a strong man, and someone who wants to be the pilot. Correct?

So, does that leave a face man and a technology or mechanical person?
I thought you had dibs on the boss. Matt Skywalker is supposed to be the face. I updated his character thread to let him know that he should change the name if possible from "The Boss" to something else since it would be confusing. But there are two other roles that can be filled as well, mechanic\tech type would work for one.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm

It's okay. He can keep the moniker, Boss. It can be a street tough name. By reputation. I'll have a commander of some sort. Colonel, Commander, or something like that.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:34 am

Trip,

Quick question about this line in Rules of Character Creation:
They get 20 XP earned XP they can spend anything including Force powers (mentor cost).
My understanding is that the -5xp Mentor Discount can only be applied to one basic power selection at creation. Are you saying we can apply it to multiple basic Force powers at creation?

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 pm

The rule still applies. The mentor cost only applies to the basic power. So if you bought Seek, it would cost 5xp. But if you bought additional levels of seek, it would cost the same. Sorry if my wording made it confusing.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Actually, I mean if I bought basic powers for Seek and Influence during char creation, the discount only applies to one, right?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I think Flamiel's referring to this text from the CRB, p. 109: "The mentor makes it easier for members of the group to learn Force powers. When a Player Character purchases the basic version of a Force power, he may decrease the cost of the basic power by 5 XP."

Some GMs interpret the "a" in "a Force power" to mean "only one power that I pick for all of you." But I've always understood it in context with the previous sentence to mean "any and every Force power." Interpreted to mean only one power, it amounts to a 5 XP boon, once and only once in a character's career. That's quite measly compared to the holocron resource, which grants two extra Career Skills, a potential 50 XP savings over the life of a character.

Trip's the GM, of course, so his ruling may be different. Just chipping in with how I've always run the mentor in my games. :)

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:05 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm
I think Flamiel's referring to this text from the CRB, p. 109: "The mentor makes it easier for members of the group to learn Force powers. When a Player Character purchases the basic version of a Force power, he may decrease the cost of the basic power by 5 XP."

Some GMs interpret the "a" in "a Force power" to mean "only one power that I pick for all of you." But I've always understood it in context with the previous sentence to mean "any and every Force power." Interpreted to mean only one power, it amounts to a 5 XP boon, once and only once in a character's career. That's quite measly compared to the holocron resource, which grants two extra Career Skills, a potential 50 XP savings over the life of a character.

Trip's the GM, of course, so his ruling may be different. Just chipping in with how I've always run the mentor in my games. :)
The mentor savings is for ALL basic force powers not just one. You theoretically could use the entire 40 xp for getting as many of the mentor basic force powers as it would allow.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Trip wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:05 pm
SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

The mentor savings is for ALL basic force powers not just one. You theoretically could use the entire 40 xp for getting as many of the mentor basic force powers as it would allow.
Does this still only apply during character creation, though?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:52 pm

No. It can also apply if the GM allows the PC access to a mentor during gameplay.

Return to “Discussion”