OOC: To Dxun

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS
Use DS
Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC: To Dxun

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:02 am

The successful Copiloting check downgrades the difficulty of the piloting check RPP to PPP. An important nuance in the game is that increase/decrease the difficulty adds or removes purple dice. Upgrade/downgrade deals with red and yellow dice going up or down to purple or green. Anjali's check ensures that the threat of a Despair is removed.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:16 am

It has been some time since we gathered XP (February). We delayed a month or two waiting to see if SavBob returned. (Thanks for sticking it out!!) This xp should help as we enter the jungles of Dxun! We will continue the current thread. Spend it wisely!!!

+25xp

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks! Has anyone heard from SavageBob? It would be nice to get another PC active.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 pm

Anjali is at her encumbrance limit, so she's not going to take any grenades, but those concussion ones are great against tough foes.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:17 pm

As we move through this area, I'd like to have Anjali periodically activating her Sense to be alert for living things, kind of like a sonar ping.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:33 am

Flamiel wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:17 pm
As we move through this area, I'd like to have Anjali periodically activating her Sense to be alert for living things, kind of like a sonar ping.
Noted. Will actually make for good roleplay!! Looks like Anjali can Sense to 'short' range for 1 pip and out to 'medium' range on 2 pips. Why don't you use the Dice Roller to roll 5 Force Power checks in advance? Put them in a spoiler. Decide if you will use Darkside pips for any of them. I'll work it like a random encounter table old D&D style. I won't look at your spoiler (GM's promise! ;) ) until I come up with a few things, significant or benign, for us to come across.

I also like that Anjali's action reminds me of a time Luke Skywalker was running around in Thrawn's Star Destroyer. Always pausing to sense if someone is in the next hallway and what they were thinking!
Flamiel wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 pm
Thanks! Has anyone heard from SavageBob? It would be nice to get another PC active.
Nothing here. He did stuff on Reddit in the Spring. (I saw a SavageBob on there and figured, 'What were the odds?') Work, job, internet access, doing other things.... I thought he'd stick around or linger back. He runs some pretty invested, in-depth characters.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:15 am

I applied an old random encounter style my old AD&D GM once used. A 2d6 roll where over a certain number meant an encounter. At least one SURE encounter coming our way with a 12. :twisted:
Spoiler:
GM; A-Squad; Random Encounter :
Numeric Roll: 2D6+0=5

Numeric Roll: 2D6+0=6

Numeric Roll: 2D6+0=12

Numeric Roll: 2D6+0=5

Numeric Roll: 2D6+0=8

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:28 am

Feel free to describe the reaction to the temptation IC. I know you said you wouldn't be spending the DS pips for Sense. She can always change her mind!! :twisted: This makes good development, nonetheless. I tapped into some background on her page.

BA, some opportunity there, too. These insects exist on Kintan. Finer details require a roll.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:55 pm

BA has two stun grenades and two concussion grenades.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:35 am

Off-topic.....

Incidentally, how read-up are you guys on the SW content beyond the movies and TV shows? Expanded Universe? Novels? Comics? Legends? KOTOR I or II? SWTOR? I just wonder sometimes if you players are more in-the-know than I am as a GM when I tackle something in the galaxy.

Personally, I have very little beyond what I may look up on Wookieepedia on a planet or historical event. I am learning as I go. I like to make it my own but base it on Legends stuff.

The Sith bombing Kintan? I see where there was a proxy war between The Sith and the Republic during this cold war time. Supposedly, the warrior tradition and the staves were invented/discovered during this time. I can work with it. Move things around a bit. It is a good story.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:19 pm

Oh, I added that bit. The wiki says the Sith hired Mandalorians to root the Morgukai out, so I just added in a bombing as part of that.

Xenology:
Spoiler:
BA; Alpha Squad; Xenology:
1 Success, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:44 pm

Only a bit. I've read the Darth Bane trilogy and then some Wookieepedia articles about history of the galactic republic, Jedi, and Sith. I've also played KOTOR 1/2 a few times, and dabbled in SWTOR.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:25 pm

I enjoy a lot of the older EU, I like that kind of story, feels very Dune.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:07 pm

Flamiel wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:44 pm
Only a bit. I've read the Darth Bane trilogy and then some Wookieepedia articles about history of the galactic republic, Jedi, and Sith.
Darth Bane has some connection to this involving orbalisks. But, he is about 1,000 BBY. We are in and around 3653 BBY. I've never been keen on the 'Rule of Two'. Supposedly, Sith infighting was the problem he saw so his solution was a master and apprentice whereas the apprentice could only become the master by killing him. WHICH, I think, qualifies as the same Sith infighting he said was causing the Sith Empire to fail in its attempts to conquer the galaxy. He decided to got with long-term subterfuge rather than brute strength. Personally, I think Lucas just had this 'cool idea' about Master and Apprentice and they retconned the rest around it to make it make sense. But it doesn't (to me). SW can't help itself. TWO Sith left? Yeah, right. 'That boy is our only hope. No, there is another!'? Nah, all kinds of jedi out there. Jedi and Sith spring up all over the place. W likes it that way for novels, toys, and cartoons.

For a game, I like to follow the history to a point and change it just enough to satisfy my sensibilities and be unexpected to the players. :)

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:08 pm

That's how all good RPGs should be. The lore is a gateway to having fun with your players. Also, I did my xenology roll higher up on this page.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:12 pm

Forgot to say my force die is committed to brawn. It is committed.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:43 pm

@Flamiel Anjali's VIG check should also have Two Boost dice and Three Setback Dice to it. You may then decide how to allocate those pips.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:55 pm

@DeepSpacer , reading fail on my part. I updated the IC spoiler with the added dice. Net is 4 Image 1 Image

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:01 am

Great! I got an evening thing until 10pm, EST. I hope to update afterwards.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:15 am

Maalraas have a low Presence and no ranks in Cool, from what I have found. They rely on that YYYG Stealth and 'Cloak' ability to get in that first attack. Both of which failed to overcome the party this time.

INITIATIVE ORDER
PC
Maalraas
PC
Maalraas
Maalraas
Maalraas
PC

* Short Range
* Adversary 1

DP's
====
LS 3 / DS 2

Spoiler:

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:18 pm

What are their current ranges to us?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Flamiel wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:18 pm
What are their current ranges to us?
Short Range. They were unable to stealth up close like they prefer. One maneuver to engage in melee.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Characters who fail their Fear check will have a setback die to all actions for the encounter.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:20 pm

I think BA and Anjali are both prepping to do Melee, so Monty should probably shoot first.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:36 am

Sounds good.

FYI, I never noticed this in the two-weapon fighting rules. Yes, when you fight two weapons, you use the lower of the two skills to determine your positive dice set and then you increase the difficulty by one. I've been using that for years. There is one, little nuance. If the weapons you are wielding are different skills, then the difficulty increases by two. Never noticed that. Monty has a +20% better chance to hit with one RHvy weapon and a +15% better chance to get two advantages with that Ranged-Heavy. Basically, I need to up my Ranged-Light to be able to wield a RLt and RHvy together effectively.

Return to “Discussion”