OOC: "The Captain's Business"

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS
Use DS
Update
Flamiel
Flyboy

Re: OOC: "The Captain's Business"

Post by Flamiel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Check on Dressellians

Flamiel; Alpha squad ; Xenology on dresselians:
3 Successes, 4 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Yeah, I'm totally cool with grab-and-bag here on Greckel. Take him to a quieter location for a chat.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks! I'm glad everyone had a safe and pleasant holiday weekend. I know that for me, work is going to be busy the next few days and evenings.

Thanks for checking back in, Flamiel. The first initiative slot will belong to a PC, regardless. I believe someone suggested BA VA would go first, likely against taptic reklam (huh? ...voice to text feature!) Captain Greckel. He wears that armor with one defense, so is difficulty with adversary 1 is purple, red, black.

Last night I bookmarked an obsidian portal web page that had an A-Team campaign set in Star Wars FFG. I hope to look at it later for ideas!

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Yeah, i'll act hopefully this evening. Gotta get some stuff done now and then after class, first.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Initiative Order

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Whose Turn Is It?
PC
NPC
NPC
PC
PC
NPC
PC

Monticor Greckel (Range: engaged): CDS to target w/ melee, CS ranged
Dressillian (Range: short): C to target at short range
Lannik (Range: short): CD to target at short range

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 am

Yeah, I'd say let BA go first, then Monty, and then maybe Anjali. I think she might be a smidge better in combat than Alamy.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 am

Flamiel wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 am
Yeah, I'd say let BA go first, then Monty, and then maybe Anjali. I think she might be a smidge better in combat than Alamy.
Alamy has 2 Ranks in R-Light.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:51 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:38 am
Flamiel wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 am
Alamy has 2 Ranks in R-Light.
Well, nevermind then. Anjali can go last :D

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:11 am

So BA is gonna get two people attacking him if he can't do something quick. So...

What would the check be to attempt to grab Greckle and hold him so he can't do anything?
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:11 am
So BA is gonna get two people attacking him if he can't do something quick. So...

What would the check be to attempt to grab Greckle and hold him so he can't do anything?
Grapple is one of those things left wide open in FFG. I looked up a lot of forum stuff and we'll go with this:

Hard Brawl check against his three Brawn. Upgrade once with DP for Red-Purple-Purple.

Two Adv to activate disorient or knockdown. Three Adv or Triumph to Immobilize.{Edit: or ensnare}

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:34 am

sucks that I can't use any of my skills with a Brawn check.
Spoiler:
so what does succeeding do?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:53 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:34 am
sucks that I can't use any of my skills with a Brawn check.

BA; Alpha Squad; hoping to hold the captain down:
3 Successes, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

so what does succeeding do?
Certainly one of those should have been a yellow? You have one rank in Brawl.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:54 am

Oops, thought he just said a Brawn vs Brawn check.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:55 am

Should I reroll the whole thing?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:54 am
Oops, thought he just said a Brawn vs Brawn check.

Should I re-roll the whole thing?
Two options: Roll a Yellow and knock off the last two green dice on the right side. Your first three Green dice are legit, as are the purple-purple-red. You WILL have at least 3 successes based on the first three dice, but three Threats to overcome with one yellow die.

OR, you can re-roll it ALL. YGGG vs RPP (colors). Your choice. First option, you'll most definitely have Threats remaining. Second option = could be better or could be worse.

Grappling can be Brawl vs Brawl roll, Competitive Check, I think they call it. But I like (in PBP) one easier roll. IMO, it is not a terribly important difference.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:21 pm

It looks like getting enough Image to pull off any sort of knockdown or immobilization will only work if Doc rerolls the whole thing. If he sticks with more Image than Image, will he inflict damage as per a normal Brawl attack?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:46 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:21 pm
It looks like getting enough Image to pull off any sort of knockdown or immobilization will only work if Doc rerolls the whole thing. If he sticks with more Image than Image, will he inflict damage as per a normal Brawl attack?
That is correct. BTW, exceeding strain threshold is another way to "immobilize" someone. A brawl attack here, stun weapon there, and you can get there somewhat quickly.

Brawl is a weird dynamic. So, if someone is trying to throw someone into an open pit and rolls 4 successes but zero advantages (no knockdown), then can he throw him down the hole??? Or, does the defender, instead, take the Strain damage from Brawl while avoiding being tossed? I am somewhat in favor of the stated goal of the grapple being achieved with multiple successes. However, if a subject is trying to resist, effectively, it is to his benefit to take strain (from Brawl damage) rather than suffering an effect he does not desire (i.e. being restrained). Otherwise, the defender has two ways to lose out if successes and advantages are interchangeable.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I have a Brawn of 5, thanks to Force: Enhance, post 77 I said I was doing that, so it is YGGGG. Using Frenzied attack I will take 1 strain to upgrade the attack once making it YYGGG.

I also add one damage to a successful Brawl or Melee check thanks to Feral STrength.

Spoiler:
Much better, lol.

4 Successes, plus the one extra damage, plus 5 for my current brawn is 10 strain.

I'll spend the advantages to immbolize, but can I spend all four to make him point the gun at his own head?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:51 pm

That might be more akin to disarming or a called shot to have a specific limb do something. But, figuratively, sure. Immobilize, the best I can recall, means the player cannot take any maneuvers. He can still take an action to break out, or pull the trigger on his blaster, which will count himself is engaged and risk hitting himself if he chose to do that.

3 spent to immobilize, one advantage for a boost to the next PC to act. Sound good?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm

Sounds good.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 am

Ouch, that hurt.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 am

AAA would like to dive for cover. What are the options? Or should I just narrate a nearby park bench or something?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:39 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 am
AAA would like to dive for cover. What are the options? Or should I just narrate a nearby park bench or something?
Nearby pillar works well. We're inside a parking deck of some sort. Hence, the clandestine meeting with these goons.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 am

@SavageBob
Then action = use the Misdirect power on the Dressellian in the hopes that his gun disappearing from his perception will prevent him from attacking next round as his primitive nature takes over, either freaking him out (fright check?), confusing him, or making it very difficult to fire (since he can't feel the gun, let alone see it).
Acceptable action. He can't physically close his (seemingly) empty hand and that would cause him confusion. I think one would close his hand and grasp at air if something disappeared from one's hand. But in this case, he can't because it is physically still there. He knows something is there, but it is confusing to him. I will consider the ramifications of that by his next turn. Confusion or Fear appear to be the right ones. Also, the primitiveness and tech-ignorance are great factors to consider!

That said, in the definition of the power, I take "sense" to mean sense, like with a force power, not the five senses. Someone can't sense you or the object. The FFG Forums were no clear help. I imagine that if it were all five senses, then it would simply say such instead of such vague terms as 'perceive' and 'sense'. It would simply say, "the person or object is undetectable by all five senses" (and force powers....or Sense FP's). If you or I say that we 'sense' someone is there, it does not mean that we actually hear, feel, or smell them. It means that we have a feeling, intuition, or awareness that someone is there. One conundrum is weight. How do you tell it is there if you're feeling the pressure? Yet, you know you are weighed down by something but can't feel what it is? It is a confusing place to be. Abusively, I'd think one jedi could do this to someone's lightsaber in combat and have other jedi hack him to pieces. I am open to hear what anyone has to say on it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 am

Didn't matter much this time, as Monty's result corresponds exactly with what we'd wish would happen. He drops his weapon. Still will make a fright check at this strange omen.

Return to “Discussion”