IC: "The Captain's Business"

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

IC: "The Captain's Business"

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:25 am

The group escapes with ease from the Captain's residence and returns to their (rented apartment(s)?). Talk continues as to how Abigail (the secretary) can be helpful to us, as she is a friend of Luke. There is also the matter of the Nikto community, which has to pay tribute sometime soon.

The Captain's datapad we copied has some additional info on it (Triumph). There is also the unlabeled (4) comlink frequencies.
* Pick up drop at spaceport.
* Make drops at IBOL
(Both dated two days away from now...day after tomorrow...)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: IC: "The Captain's Business"

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:55 pm

After escaping the Captain's residence unnoticed and leaving everything intact, the group unwinds in the back room of an obscure, all-night cantina across town. The city of Palesia, as it is called here, holds the seat of the Lannik monarchy, which some see as corrupt. It is a city broad enough that one can get lost if they choose to.

Monty appears to sulk (slightly) over his drink, takes a shot of Lannik liquor, and begins to speak...

"We've lost some good people over this. Some still in prison....like Boss, Murdok, Beeds, and Lotice.....others, like Helios, lost their lives. I, for one, feel duty bound (Obligation 10: Dutybound) to make sure those men are freed when we crack this case."

He turns towards the young, beautiful, yet darkly foreboding, Anjali. "Anjali, you shouldn't be mixed up in all of this. You were just lending your talents to some Coruscant security officials when you ended up with us. How was I to know all of this was coming after you were asked to look into some secure datapads we had? Apparently, someone didn't care if some innocents (non-military types) were caught up in this. I suppose they didn't think it believable that some grunts and beat soldiers had the tech know-how to pull off such a robbery. Sorry you were caught up in all of this, but we're in the same boat now. Thanks for helping us escape Belvasis, if I never thanked you properly. Couldn't have done it without you. Ten million credits worth of losses means they'll never give up searching for us. There's no place to hide with that kind of bounty on us. We have to clear our names!"

Addressing the Devaronian....
"All you were doing is following up on a lead. If it wasn't for your father's tip-off to track us down, you wouldn't be in all of this, but I suppose he was looking out for you....trying to fight corruption like so many others. But, we're in this together now. I hope this business with the Captain is a legitimate lead. I mean, what are the odds he'd have a Coruscant Bank Security Clearance while being way out here on Lannik??? We've all got lives to get back to, some more than others."

"Sai....you and I have been in this for a long time, my friend. We've lost some good friends along the way. We owe it to them to see this through. We are going to see this through to the nd, or die trying.... see this "general" and his cronies brought to justice. Executing them would be fitting, but seeing them tried and convicted would exonerate us completely."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:55 pm
"All you were doing is following up on a lead. If it wasn't for your father's tip-off to track us down, you wouldn't be in all of this, but I suppose he was looking out for you....trying to fight corruption like so many others. But, we're in this together now. I hope this business with the Captain is a legitimate lead. I mean, what are the odds he'd have a Coruscant Bank Security Clearance while being way out here on Lannik??? We've all got lives to get back to, some more than others."
Alamy takes a shot of Lannik liquor and slams the shot glass down on the table. "You bet your left horn we're in this together! My mother's gone, and the Republic's covering it up. My dad's a virtual slave of the Republic Scout Corps [Obligation 10: Family]. And now all of us are framed for some big bank heist and now wanted criminals because of it?" The Devaronian's skin flushes crimson and her horn buds emanate heat. "No way. Nuh-uh. Not on my watch. This Greckel is just the tip of the iceberg. We need to stop him. Before anyone else ends up like my ma—" She trails off and stares at a nearby pazaak table, eyes not really focused on anything.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 am

BA leans back in his chair, listening to Alamy speak, and nods in agreement as she speaks.

"Stoppin' them quick and seein' 'em rot in prison would make me way happier then seein' 'em dead. Also, considerin' I actually am a criminal here [Obligation 10: Criminal]," BA says with a bit of a sorrowful chuckle, "I'd at least hopefully get to see 'em every day and laugh at those smug sons of Murlaks that set you all up."

He pauses.

"I do like the idea of travelin' around and helpin' people. And don't go tellin' me that's like a Jeedai," BA quickly adds, before he drops his defenses with a sigh. "Some lady I met a long time ago told me I had the Force, told me to do some good with it. I've been tryin' ta avoid it, but given we probably need all the help we can get, I probably should quit avoidin' figuring out what all that mystic mumbo stuff's about."
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:34 am

Monty wrote: "Anjali, you shouldn't be mixed up in all of this. You were just lending your talents to some Coruscant security officials when you ended up with us. How was I to know all of this was coming after you were asked to look into some secure datapads we had? Apparently, someone didn't care if some innocents (non-military types) were caught up in this. I suppose they didn't think it believable that some grunts and beat soldiers had the tech know-how to pull off such a robbery. Sorry you were caught up in all of this, but we're in the same boat now.
Anjali sits cross-legged off to the side a bit, seemingly in her own little world, head slightly bowed as she gazes intently at a credit chip on the floor in front of her. Is it on the floor? It is actually a couple centimeters up in the air. Her arms rest on her knees as her hands frame the chip; it actually moves slowly back and forth between her hands, as if a rhythmic pendulum on a string. As Monty finishes speaking, she lets the chip drop, but keeps her focus on it. "Sorry? Don't be. I may be running and hiding for my life, but at least I'm in control of my destiny now, and not some snake in a lab coat. I'd much rather be here than there, applying my 'talents', so to speak." She says "talents" with a bit of a sneer, but not unkindly toward Monty, more reminiscent. "Besides, now I can actually put my skills to work destroying these scumbags instead of helping them [Morality: Righteousness]."
BA wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 am
"I do like the idea of travelin' around and helpin' people. And don't go tellin' me that's like a Jeedai," BA quickly adds, before he drops his defenses with a sigh. "Some lady I met a long time ago told me I had the Force, told me to do some good with it. I've been tryin' ta avoid it, but given we probably need all the help we can get, I probably should quit avoidin' figuring out what all that mystic mumbo stuff's about."
"Pfft, the Jedi. They're useless." (there's that sneer again) "I never saw them helping anyone out around me. All they care about are their silly rules and fighting the Sith. They can all rot in space for all I care [Morality: Cold-heartedness] Don't worry, big guy, what we're doing here is much more impactful to normal folks than anything the vaunted Jedi would deign to do. As for the Force, the Jedi and the Sith have their own private little cults around it. You and I can put it to practical use. Have you ever seen the lightsabers they use? Now one of THOSE is something I'd like to get my hands on and inspect closer...." Her voice takes on a hint of wistful admiration, that of a craftswoman.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:55 am

Flamiel wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:34 am
"Pfft, the Jedi. They're useless." (there's that sneer again) "I never saw them helping anyone out around me. All they care about are their silly rules and fighting the Sith. They can all rot in space for all I care [Morality: Cold-heartedness] Don't worry, big guy, what we're doing here is much more impactful to normal folks than anything the vaunted Jedi would deign to do. As for the Force, the Jedi and the Sith have their own private little cults around it. You and I can put it to practical use. Have you ever seen the lightsabers they use? Now one of THOSE is something I'd like to get my hands on and inspect closer...." Her voice takes on a hint of wistful admiration, that of a craftswoman.
Alamy stays silent as her companions discuss this "Force." Soon she finds herself fingering the pendant she wears. "The Nuns of Devaron told me I had the goddess's gift. Uh... she's a goddess on my homeworld, but she lets me do things most people can't. See through stuff. See far away. Make it so stuff can't be seen." She demonstrates, making Anjali's credit chit disappear for a moment and then bringing it back into view. "If there are other folks out there who know about this kinda stuff—this Force or whatever—I'd be interested." "But for now... Maybe we let Luke know about this big drop coming up? And talk to the secretary beforehand? Maybe she knows about it."

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:05 am

"Seems like a plan, I'm up for it."
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 am

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:55 am
"But for now... Maybe we let Luke know about this big drop coming up? And talk to the secretary beforehand? Maybe she knows about it."
"Call Luke, intercept this secretary? Or, have him arrange a meeting?"

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:48 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 am
"Call Luke, intercept this secretary? Or, have him arrange a meeting?"
"Yup." AAA stands up from the table and slams down her shot glass. "But not before I try a few hands of pazzaak!"

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:01 pm

It's very late, and there's not a big crowd. Alamy sees a dismayed Gotal leaving a table of two-handed Pazaak, leaving only a blue-green-skinned male Rodian left sitting alone. He introduces himself as Neelo and, although it is very late, agrees to just one more game. "What's your wager?"
Spoiler:
The game is best of 3 hands (and....I like having dice rolled.) On a Win, any credits wagered is doubled. Alamy has the better skill (YYGG), but Neelo has experience (Cool YGG). As you said, "no need to RP out.", so here are the basic rolls I got from some free online Pazaak rules.
  • Roll a Simple (0 Diff) Cool Check. It will be opposed. Winner upgrades his first check. 2 Adv's can be spent for a Boost. Successes are only for the opposed check and cannot be spent otherwise.
  • Strategy for Alamy is to throw him off with Bluff and misdirection. Make three (3) AVG Deception checks +1 Setback die for not knowing this guy at all. Include a Luck (Force) Die. White Pip is a free success. Black Pip adds a Failure. Each roll represents a hand played. Play out Triumphs and Adv's to upgrade subsequent checks, or even up the wager. Both can possibly upgrade the wager on the last hand (increasing earnings).
  • You may roll Misdirect Force Power, if you wish, each turn. It adds two Setback dice to his roll each time. So, 3 rolls for that if you wish to make him forget a card he sees played on the table.
  • Neelo is a decent player (GGG), but his strength is getting a read on players (Cool).

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:31 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:01 pm
It's very late, and there's not a big crowd. Alamy sees a dismayed Gotal leaving a table of two-handed Pazaak, leaving only a blue-green-skinned male Rodian left sitting alone. He introduces himself as Neelo and, although it is very late, agrees to just one more game. "What's your wager?"
"Don't have much on me." Alamy puts down 40 credits. "I'm not that great at pazaak, y'see..."
Spoiler:
AAA; Alpha Squad; Cool check:
0 Success, 1 Advantage

ImageImage

1st Hand:

AAA; Alpha Squad; Deception check:
1 Failure, 4 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImage

AAA; Alpha Squad; Deception check (difficulty correction, plus forgot Force die):
0 Success, 2 Threats, 1 Dark Side

ImageImageImage

Adds up to 2 Failures, 2 Advantages.

2nd Hand (boost from the advantages?):

3 Failures, 4 Advantages, 2 Light Side

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adds up to 1 Failure, 4 Advantages. Taking 2 Boosts this time. (Not sure how many are kosher for each boost.)

3 Successes, 3 Advantages, 1 Dark Side

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adds up to 2 Successes, 3 Advantages.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:54 am

"CONFOUNDED CARDS!!!! exclaims Neelo as he finds each of the first two hands come to a draw. He would have easily won both of the first two hands if he hadn't drawn several +3's and +4's when he only needed a +1 or +2 to win. (Luck seems to be against Neelo this evening. Fate (i.e. The Luck Die) caused him to fail each of his first two rolls!)

The third hand is no better as Alamy wins with relative ease. Another hand or two should decide matters. {Alamy can make two further rolls. 3 Adv can pass two boost dice to yourself.}
Spoiler:
NPC; A-Squad; Gambling Rolls:
1-1=0 Success, 1 Threat, 1 Dark Side
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
1-1=0 Success, 1 Threat, 1 Dark Side
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1-1=0 Success, 0 Advantage, 1 Dark Side
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 am

Neelo's luck is no better the next hand. Alamy has a chance to win the pot with a 2nd won hand on the next roll. Otherwise, his luck has taken a turn for the better.
Spoiler:
0-1 Success, 3 Advantages, 1 Dark Side
2+2=4 Successes, 3 Advantages, 2 Light Side
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 am

Neelo's luck is no better the next hand. Alamy has a chance to win the pot with a 2nd won hand on the next roll. Otherwise, his luck has taken a turn for the better.
Spoiler:
0-1 Success, 3 Advantages, 1 Dark Side
2+2=4 Successes, 3 Advantages, 2 Light Side

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:12 pm

"Guess this is for all the chits, ol' chap..."
Spoiler:
5 Successes, 0 Advantage, 1 Light Side

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

6 Successes total.

1 Success, 2 Advantages, 1 Dark Side

The Dark Side point wipes out the Success, leaving 0 left.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 pm

"Bhah....." grunts the Rodian. What a way to end the night!"

"Well-played, stranger. By the cards, I should of had the win in two hands. At least it was only for 40 credits. The Rodian resolutely hands over the winnings (40 credits).

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:38 am

"Later, chap." With that, AAA joins the others and departs.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Monty gives a nod and puff on his cigarra. "Tomorrow we approach the secretary.....Abigail. Do we let Luke do the work, then? Arrange a meeting?"

"Then.....see about where and when this delivery is supposed to come?"

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm

"Sounds like a plan. Any thoughts on how we approach this woman? Being candid worked with Luke, but a secretary might be more protective."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 am

Flamiel wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm
"Sounds like a plan. Any thoughts on how we approach this woman? Being candid worked with Luke, but a secretary might be more protective."
"Straight-forward and honest?" says Monty. "I mean, there's a risk to it, but it may be our best shot."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:03 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 am
"Straight-forward and honest?" says Monty. "I mean, there's a risk to it, but it may be our best shot."
"Luke gave us her coordinates. I can always contact her and claim I'm doing a news story. I mean, that's how journalists do it."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:03 pm
DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 am
"Luke gave us her coordinates. I can always contact her and claim I'm doing a news story. I mean, that's how journalists do it."
"But then you have to convince the secretary to disclose revealing info to a stranger reporter. Why complicate it unnecessarily? If she is as good-willed as Luke says she is, she won't likely betray an employer on the word of someone she just met."

"What do we really need anyways? Where this drop is being made?"

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:38 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 pm
"But then you have to convince the secretary to disclose revealing info to a stranger reporter. Why complicate it unnecessarily? If she is as good-willed as Luke says she is, she won't likely betray an employer on the word of someone she just met."

"What do we really need anyways? Where this drop is being made?"
"I'm just talking about first contact. We don't know anything about her except where she works. We need to draw her out of the office in a way that won't spook her. News story is less intimidating than approaching her on the street..." She pauses, then adds, "Or we ask Luke to set it up. Key is we need to get her out of the office in a way that makes her feel safe. Then we see what she knows about these drops."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:27 pm

"Then settled, Luke can set this up. A small, discrete meeting."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:30 am

Abigail is young and meek. She seems hesitant to speak to you all.
Sec12.JPG
Sec12.JPG (13.02 KiB) Viewed 3699 times

Return to “The Story”