IC: To Dxun

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: IC: To Dxun

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:27 pm

The path of a young Nikto warrior is a difficult one. The upward slope of the rock formation has a slight layer of gritty sand upon it, making it a slow trek. After some slips, the topics within reach. During this time, he glances back to see that another young, aspiring warrior has caught up to him. He is a young Nikto (perhaps 10 cycles old) and he is struggling to climb the formation. The treacherous journey has taken a lot out of him.

For Nikto 15 cycles old and less, this is what's expected of them... reach the summit within the allotted time. From the summit Sai can see a ledge on the other side of a ravine, perhaps 30m down. For those 16, 17, on-up, the expectation is to make the jump and continue the course. But for young ones like Sai, they are supposed to wait here for the instructors to show up on a repulsor lift to carry those who survived back to the enclave.

{What is BA's inclination?}

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Sai grits his teeth. He wants to prove he can do it, wants to prove he is strong enough to join the older students in preparing to defend their homeworld from Sith and Jedi alike. He prepares to jump.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:52 pm

! Message from: DeepSpacer
It will be a Daunting leap (4 Diff), upgraded once for DP flip. Athletics check.
DPs at 5/0. You should use one. ;)

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 am

Sai leaps...
Spoiler:
BA; Alpha Squad; Athletics:
0 Success, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

flipping a destiny point
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:48 am

The young Sai Nash makes a bold leap from the top of the rock formation. It was a GOOD leap ( 3S, 4A)!! He sails out across the ravine but finds himself falling just short of the opposite ledge as he descends.

As he descends, the bright, sun-lit sand blurs back into a white cloud. The temperature cools significantly, the air becomes humid, and the white cloud becomes misty. Sai finds himself falling down a steep jungle cliff, rolling and tumbling. At the last second, he sees a flash of Anjali in front of him and is able to narrowly dodge colliding with her (1 Adv). He takes +3 Strain as falls flat on the jungle floor. Looking up, he can see where he exited the cavern. The rocky cliff is covered in jungle foliage with a trickle of water descending down the rocks.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 am

BA sees Monty sitting over to the side on a pile of rocks. "Did what happened to me happen to you???" Monty says warily. "I mean, it was like a flashback...... or a dream."

"Anjali, it was before he hooked up with you on Coruscant. Before you were helping us investigate cases, I used to command troops in the Sith-Jedi conflict. I was fortunate to graduate the academy as an officer.

"BA, I never told you before, but you weren't my first command. I had a brief command in the war before we were together. It was so short that I never mentioned it to you or the squad. I don't know if I was ashamed about it or whether I thought I could have done better than I did."

"This place.... it took me BACK there. I was reliving it again!! I could feel the pressure of being in live combat for the first time. I could feel the desire to get everyone through the conflict alive. It was a daunting task."

Just like before, I steeled my nerves and tried to lead the men forward. But then, again, they didn't move. I, I, I.... TRIED, but they wouldn't move. We took heavy casualties. The 'brass' said it was unavoidable. Not my fault. "No one", they said, could've made through that meat-grinder without casualties. THIS time, I couldn't get them to move forwardd, either. We HELD our ground, instead, against he Sith assault. We kept everyone alive. I don't know how, but we did (2 Triumphs on failed roll). I guess we made quick work of some debris and made the terrain unobtainable for the Sith. During the final Sith assault, an explosive blew me off the bridge and then I found myself falling down to here."

"What happened to you all???"

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm

"I saw my childhood," BA says with a shrug, "A cross between a memory and a choice. Not my favorite day, but not the worst by a long shot. I was runnin' through the desert, doin' some trial stuff for that whole 'monastic order' thing I used ta be in. It didn't go like how I remembered, just different, not better or worse."

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 pm

Anjali blinks several times as her eyes refocus on the jungle surroundings of Dxun. What a strange experience - it felt so real, yet here she is now. She slowly rises from her crouch. "I was back on Coruscant, letting go of Numa, and...I'm not quite sure what, actually. It felt so real, so vivid, but we're all still here." She looks down at her hands and clenches/unclenches them, feeling the sensation. "I feel really good, though. Like I've been bolstered by the Force. Do you feel that?"

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:36 pm

"I feel different. More confident. It is as if I am more in tune with everything around me. It feels more..... alive."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 pm

49996411b9d7eb2ee5423f2eb8c0a2c7.jpg
49996411b9d7eb2ee5423f2eb8c0a2c7.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Off Topic
Please feel free to discuss further (in the IC) among the characters your reactions and conclusions from the good-side Dagobah Tree experience. I have free time tonight and wanted to get this up while I can.
The new surroundings look like this [PIC]. Behind us is a steep cliffside leading up to the exit from that cavern. In front of us is a well-trodden path coming from the right, turning her, and then extending forward (in the direction of the base). Land-bound creatures of some type have made a walkway under the thick canopy of the jungle. There are footprints in the jungle floor. The prints have the ball of a foot and four clawed toes extending forward. Much larger than a human foot or hand. All of the prints are like this.
BA can make a Survival check for the group. AVG + Boost die.

This is about the time Anjali makes the last (5th) sense check for her surroundings (0 LS, 2 DS pips). It is almost as if the planet is BLOCKING your access to the force. It is FIGHTING you!!! Perhaps Dxun is angry with you for that cavern experience? Maybe it knows what you did? Or, it knows what you are doing? Maybe it is hiding something? It is frustrating your attempts to sense the surroundings.
Anjali CAN give in to this frustration to use the two DS pips to sense to medium range. Otherwise, she can simply rely on her own eyes and ears if anything comes nearby.

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:05 am

For as calm and peaceful as the cavern made her feel, Anjali can sense that this new area of jungle is hostile, perhaps even to her very presence. She resists the urge to fight against it, instead taking a moment to center herself and take in her surroundings in a more primitive fashion.
Spoiler:
Eyes and ears it is.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 am

These tracks are from a carnivorous, reptilian, quadruped with a tail (1 Succ). The types of claws seem to indicate a non plant-eater, which is no surprise for Dxun. There appears to be 3-4 of them and there appears to be a "lair" nearby in the direction we are going (Triumph). Approximately 30m up the path beyond the pair of large tree, there is an entry to a lair to the left (1 Triumph). It was probably lucky that our falls/landings did not draw their attention.
49996411b9d7eb2ee5423f2eb8c0a2c7.jpg
49996411b9d7eb2ee5423f2eb8c0a2c7.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:53 pm

The group stealthily approaches the lair along the path ahead. You can hear the snorts and grumblings of several large beasts from within. The sounds are louder when you get near the opening, but not immediately near. This lair may have some depth to it and, perhaps, several alcoves. One may catch a small glimpse of reptilian skin when passing by. The group moves past the opening without being noticed (2 Succ). They progress somewhat up the path when one of the beasts randomly steps out of its lair onto the path (2 Threats). It lifts up its snout and sniffs the air trying to catch scent of anything different in the air. It snorts loudly. It turns its head and notices the humanoids 40-50m up the path (medium range)!!
Spoiler:
Boma_Beast.jpg
Boma_Beast.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 2685 times

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:04 pm

Monty looks at the others, his blaster rifle in hand. "Might be to our advantage to put down this one before its too close!!?
Off Topic
The group can decide whether to make a stand at medium range or try to outrun it using chase rules. It seems like it moves laboriously for its size, about the same as humanoids. We'd certainly get in the first volley due to distance. Initiative would be [Cool]). It is slow to move (0 Succ, 2 Adv).

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm

Anjali gets a funny feeling, and an even crazier thought. With a curious focus on the creature, she steps toward it and raises her hand. She tries to stretch out with the Force, but she can't keep her focus well enough on both the creature's mind and Force around her, and it fails her. She suddenly realizes she might have been a little too bold....

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Flamiel wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm
She tries to stretch out with the Force, but she can't keep her focus well enough on both the creature's mind and Force around her, and it fails her. She suddenly realizes she might have been a little too bold....
Her method of calling on The Force fails her.....again. Moments ago, after coming down the cliffside from the cavern, she could feel the planet calling, but could not sense living beings around her (2 DS Pips, only). Then again, just now, when she is trying to sooth the savage beast (2 DS Pips, only).

This is frustrating.... All of this "power" around her and not tapping into it is leading to failure (and perhaps worse!!). This is like swimming in a lake, dying of thirst, and not being able to take a drink. But you CAN take a drink! It is SO EASY..... It is all around....

'YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE DARKSIDE'

Off Topic
IS the darkside easier? Did Rahdika ever say anything about this?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:38 pm

Monty drops to a knee and steady-aims (True Aim) at the Boma beast. It takes a direct hit to the torso just behind it's front leg. The beast tilts downward to the ground like a 4-wheel vehicle that lost its front tire (Critical: 19%, no maneuver next round). The beast IS about as big as a small vehicle, though. ;)
Spoiler:
Maneuver: True Aim
Action: Ranged Heavy

Monty; A-Squad; Ranged Heavy Attack:
2 Successes, 3 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

+1 Accurate
:
0 Success, 1 Advantage
11 Damage before Soak
1 Adv = pass to next
Spoiler:
Monty; A-Squad; Critical Roll +10:
Numeric Roll: 1D100+10=19
19% "Distracted" "cannot perform free maneuver next turn"

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:57 pm

Anjali grits her teeth as her frustration mounts. She'd been warned about the Dark Side, but wasn't prepared for how *tempting* it could be. The maintains her discipline for now....

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:16 pm

BA leaps toward the creature. As he does so, he slams down his vibro-axe, but misses, the beats fall shifting its center of gravity enough that BA misjudged his leap.
Spoiler:
Extra Maneuver, two strain.

BA; Alpha Squad; attack:
0 Success, 3 Advantages

I completely forgot to take strain to upgrade the roll, and I ain't gonna cheat and roll again. Lol.

Pass a boost on to the next person.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 pm

The Boma beast turns to BA and swings its head at him. He is gored with a horn for 7 damage (before soak).

A second Boma beast charges out of the lair, leveling its head, misses BA and charges past him out into the open (1 Threat).
Spoiler:
NPC's; A-Squad; Brawl Attack:
2 Successes, 1 Threat

7 Damage before soak.
Soak is 6 right now???
1 Threat: Beast takes +1 Strain
NPC's; A-Squad; Brawl Attack:
0 Success, 1 Threat

1 Threat: Beast flies out into the open, free from being engaged.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 pm

BA swings down and cleaves his vibroaxe into the creature.
Spoiler:
BA; Alpha Squad; Attack!:
7 Successes, 2 Threats

17, it has pierce 2
1 damage/2 strain

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am

{{Nice roll!!!}}

At 23/12 WT, the beast is cleaved in half. Its head falls to the ground and rolls over into a patch of light grass.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Be dashes towards the other creature and takes up a defensive stance.
Spoiler:
1 wound/4 strain, all melee attacks against BA are upgraded once until his next turn.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:12 pm

'Outta the way, you big oaf!!' Monty whispers to himself as he keys in on the free-standing Boma and carefully aims.

Monty's shot goes right through the ribcage, in one side and out the other. The Boma is grievously wounded (WT 11/12). It staggers (+1 difficulty to its next check).
Spoiler:
Maneuver: Aim
Maneuver: True Aim (+2 Strain)
Action: Ranged Heavy with DP
+1 Accuracy Mod

Monty Peppard; A-Squad; Ranged Heavy Attack w/ True Aim:
5 Successes, 0 Advantage, 1 Triumph,

14 Damage b4 Soak
Monty Pepaprd; A-Squad; Critical Roll +10:
Numeric Roll: 1D100+10=39
"39% Stinger: increase difficulty of next check by +1 difficulty

Flamiel
Flyboy

Post by Flamiel » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Anjali moves in for the kill next to BA, but she moves too cautiously and the Boma beast adjusts to avoid her attack.

Return to “The Story”