Alamy Alphine A'Culea ("Triple A")

Character proposals for this game.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Great! Here's one character concept, an intrepid Devaronian investigative reporter. The idea is that she relies on sneaking into places she's not supposed to be to get stories. Hopefully a sneak-oriented character isn't stepping on the toes of any of the current roster of PCs.

It'd be more economical to make her a Togruta (and keep their 1 in Brawn to pay for a raise elsewhere), but I like the idea of a Devaronian in this role better. The following point breakdowns take into account the allowances from the character-creation thread and the ones we discussed (about F&D characters having fewer skills thanks to their Force Rating). She has no talents as of yet, since I wanted to make sure she could hold her own in combat. If it looks like I'm on the right track, I'll figure out the narrative parts of character creation next.

Career:
Sentinel

Computers
Deception 1
Perception 1
Skulduggery
Stealth 1
Knowledge (Core Worlds)

Force Rating 1

Specialization: Investigator

Perception
Streetwise
Knowledge (Education)
Knowledge (Underworld) 1

Well Rounded 1

Cool
Ranged (Light)

2 Extra Free Skill Ranks

Perception 2
Knowledge (Underworld) 2

Species: Devaronian (95 XP + 10 for Morality)

Deception 2 (free from species)
Resilient Metabolism (+1 Success on Resilience checks)

30 Intellect 3
40 Cunning 4
20 Presence 2

5 Ranged (Light) 1
10 Ranged (Light) 2

20 Earned XP

5 Farsight (Basic Power)
15 Misdirect (Basic Power)

Trip
Flyboy

Re: Alamy Alphine A'Culea ("Triple A")

Post by Trip » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm

I get it: Amy Amanda Allen. Nice to stick with the theme!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Trip wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm
I get it: Amy Amanda Allen. Nice to stick with the theme!
Figured it'd be appropriate. Let's hope she sticks around for more than a season. :) Does this concept look tenable?

I also remember swrider mentioned a Mentor bonus for Force powers. Is it -5 XP for the basic version of powers, or something else? That'd save me 10 5 XP at least, and let me get a talent or upgrade.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 pm

just for the basic power

Matt Skywalker
Scoundrel

Post by Matt Skywalker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 am

I'd save 5 exp too!😛😛😛😛😛
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 am

Sorry if I was posting in the wrong area.

I figure her Motivation is the Sentinel's Injustice: Imprisonment: A just society isolates a troubled individual for rehabilitation and community protection, while an unjust one imprisons based on prejudice or a lust for power. Alamy often finds herself fighting against corrupt police forces and legal system personnel, especially on planets aligned with the Sith Empire.

Perhaps this might explain why she teams up with the gang? She's determined to help them prove their innocence, perhaps because one of them fought alongside one of her parents in some previous conflict? Or in a battle that rescued her hometown? She's a young, fresh reporter with something to prove, and she thinks she can do it by cracking this story, but she also feels a debt somehow to one of the current PCs (or more than one).

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 am

Here's Alamy. Any thoughts on which PC her father might have once fought alongside? Once I have that info, I should be able to finish her backstory.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:30 am

We are currently in the flashback stage of the campaign so having her join in now requires that she be connected with us through our pre-military or at least very early military careers. Perhaps her father was the judge that told my character to join the military and she is keeping an eye on us during the flashback. then perhaps her father was assassinated or kidnapped and the team helped get the perpetrators.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 am

Ah, OK. I had envisioned Alamy as someone who wasn't framed along with the others, but if that means waiting several weeks to get involved, that may not be the best option.

I gather y'all are being set up right now? If that's the case, perhaps her father sent her to try to stop this whole charade before it got too far, but she fails? There's also the issue of how far in the past the current scene takes place. I was planning to make Alamy a recent university graduate, not very world weary but overconfident and idealistic. If this scene is years in the past, that would make her a teenager (or younger).

Another idea is that her dad was also subjected to this scheme, and not only did he get taken, he also died. She's now on a mission to stop the current team from falling for it (but fails).

Alternatively, I could just sit out the current scene. Trip, please let me know what you think would be best.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 pm

The flashback is one year back. I figure you have a chance meeting while investigating (during flashback time). They get caught. AAA tries to help by staying in the shadows and secretly assisting. The year between the flashback and current time can be filled in later.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Trip wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 pm
The flashback is one year back. I figure you have a chance meeting while investigating (during flashback time). They get caught. AAA tries to help by staying in the shadows and secretly assisting. The year between the flashback and current time can be filled in later.
If it's a year back, she'd be in her final year of university. So maybe she's investigating the crooks for other reasons?

I still like the idea that her father (or mother, or professor) has some link to one of the other PCs, so that the connection between her and the rest of the party is less tenuous. Is that doable?

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Just spit balling here but...she could be working on her thesis on corruption in government. Her dad, Hell's mysterious recruiter, tells her that he has reason to believe that Hell's bosses are some of the bad ones. He tells her to stay away, but instead she contacts Hell and tells him about what she has learned. I could have that introduction soon if you can get your character all done. How does all that sound?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Trip wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm
Just spit balling here but...she could be working on her thesis on corruption in government. Her dad, Hell's mysterious recruiter, tells her that he has reason to believe that Hell's bosses are some of the bad ones. He tells her to stay away, but instead she contacts Hell and tells him about what she has learned. I could have that introduction soon if you can get your character all done. How does all that sound?
Excellent! I'm picking out equipment now, so I should have her finalized tonight or tomorrow.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm

By the way, here's my roll for pocket money from character generation:
Spoiler:

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:41 pm

And here's starting gear (500 credits total):

200 Holdout Blaster (Dam 5, Crit 4, Rarity 4, Enc 1, HP 1, Stun Setting)
50 Heavy Clothing (Soak 1, Defensve 0, Rarity 0, Enc. 1, HP 0)
175 Concealed Recorder (Rarity 5, Enc 0; +2 Setbacks on Perception checks to find on someone's body)
10 Military Belt Pouch (Rarity 0, Enc 0; can hold 2 Enc 0 items for retrieval as an incidental)
40 Model 58 Concealment Holster (Rarity 3, Enc -; +SB to Perception to discover the weapon)
25 Stimpack (Rarity 1, Enc 0)

So much gear that she could use, but for now she's a poor student.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Here's the full write-up, Trip. Let me know if anything needs tweaking, or if I should copy this to the Characters part of the forum.

Alamy Alephine A'Culea ("Triple A")
Species: Devaronian
Career: Sentinel

Wound Threshold: 0/13 Strain Threshold: 0/12 Soak: 3 Defense: 0/0
Encumbrance: 1/7

Brawn: 2 Agility: 2 Intellect: 3 Cunning: 4 Willpower: 2 Presence: 2

Skills: (All career) Deception 2, Perception 2, Stealth 1, Ranged (Light) 2, Knowledge (Education) 1, Knowledge (Underworld) 1

Talents:
Well Rounded: Choose any two skills. They permanently become Career Skills (Cool & Ranged [Light])
Uncanny Senses: Add 1 Boost per rank of Uncanny Senses to all Perception checks.

Species Abilities:
Resilient Metabolism: Devaronian physiology is naturally hardy and resistant to toxins. Members of the species add 1 automatic Success to all Resilience checks they make.

Force Powers:
Farsight: May spend 1 pip to ignore effects of darkness or blindness and see normally up to Medium range for remainder of the round (or one minute). This allows Alamy to view everything most sentients could normally see on a well-lit day.
Misdirect: Spend 1 pip to make a target at up to Short range unable to perceive a chosen person or object of Silhouette 1 or smaller. Until beginning of user's next turn, target cannot see or sense the hidden person or object. May not be activated multiple times.
  • Range 1: Spend 1 pip to increase power's range by a number of range bands equal to Range upgrades purchased.

Armor

Heavy Clothing (Soak 1, Defensive 0, Rarity 0, Enc. 1, HP 0)

Equipment

Concealed Recorder (Rarity 5, Enc 0; +2 Setbacks on Perception checks to find on someone's body)
Military Belt Pouch (can hold 2 items of Enc. 0) (0 Enc, 0 Rarity)
Model 58 Concealment Holster (Rarity 3, Enc –; +1 Setback to Perception checks to discover a weapon in the holster)
Stimpack (Rarity 1, Enc 0; carried on military belt pouch)

Weapons

Holdout Blaster (Dam 5, Crit 4, Range: Short, Rarity 4, Enc 1, HP 1, Rarity 4, Stun Setting; +1 Setback on Perception checks to locate weapon on someone's body)

Background

Alamy Alephine A'Culea was always lonely as a kid. As hyperspace scouts, her parents were constantly blazing new trails and winning big government contracts. The credits paid for Alamy's galaxy-class education at one boarding school after another, but rich-girl schooling brought rich-girl problems: spice addiction, a pazaak habit, and more than a few near-death experiences shooting guns in the jungle for fun.

At the University of Montellian Serat, Alamy fell in with a crowd that cared more about all-night jatz raves than studying trans-Clak'dorian algebra. Things got worse when the young woman got a staticky holo from her father near the end of her first year: a faulty hyperspace jump had sent her mother smashing into a dwarf planet somewhere near Durkteel. Alamy's mother and father had just received permanent commissions with the Republic Scout Corps, and he assured his daughter that there was no need to press charges or ask for an investigation into the death. But it didn't make sense: Alamy's mother was the best astrogator in the galaxy.

The young Devaronian took the news hard. She stopped going to class and found comfort in ji rikknit and underground parties. One night, stumbling home from a dive in Montellian Serat, she took a wrong turn down a blind alley and found herself cornered by two burly Devaronian constables. The fear sobered her up and flushed her horns with blood. But as she steeled herself to fend the men off, she found that they couldn't see her. The cops looked up and down the alley, talking about how they needed Alamy as leverage, how if they had her, her father would have no choice but to stay in the Scout Corps. But it was like Alamy had disappeared. And the men left.

A slight Devaronian woman crept out of the shadows and told Alamy to follow her. Still reeling from the would-be confrontation, Alamy did so. They wound up at a convent, one run by nuns of Sud'ya, Devaronian goddess of justice. Alamy, they said, had the goddess's touch—that's how she'd kept the men from seeing her—and if she joined the convent, she could learn to use her gift even better. But join a convent? Alamy's not that kind of girl.

No, Alamy figured there had to be a better way to please the Goddess of Justice and use her gifts at the same time. She devoted herself to school, changing her course of study to journalism with a focus on investigative reporting. Indeed, Sud'ya's gift made her great at lying low, getting into places she wasn't supposed to be, and smuggling out evidence of wrongdoing. The young woman uncovered embezzling by the UMS grav-ball team, bribery in the admissions office, and smuggling of Sith artifacts by the archaeology department. When she nearly got expelled for exposing the dean's Gamorrean mistress, Alamy learned that she needed to find a way to be invisible in her reporting, too, choosing the screen name "AAA" and masking her identity in her holo-reports.

Just before starting her final year, Alamy traveled to Coruscant to get data for her capstone thesis, an exposé of corruption in the Scout Corps. Her father met with her at a tapcafé, admitting that there were some bad jorgan fruits in his department. But he told Alamy to leave well enough alone; if she looked any further into her mother's death, she'd only make her life a nightmare. But when he got up to leave the tapcafé, Alamy found that he'd left a small datatape in the booth—whether by intention or accident, she wasn't sure. On it was evidence of a secret operation about to go down, one aimed at someone named "Hell." The Devaronian woman grabbed the datatape and ran, her father's warning ringing through her ears: Leave it alone.

But that's not what Alamy does. She digs, and she exposes. She's just that kind of girl.

Description

She could pass for a Human in the right light, but her reddish-orange skin, yellow eyes, and vestigial horns are a dead giveaway that Alamy is, in fact, a Devaronian. But don't stare, or she'll tell you to go kriff yourself.

Those clothes do two things: They speak to her relative youth, and they make her father worry for the future of the galaxy. Those accessories—the fingerless gloves, the combat boots, the purple hair tips, the bandana with a nexu's mouth on it—allow her to fit in anywhere from the palace of the grimiest Hutt gangster to a concert by the hottest alt-jatz band, a band Alamy liked before they got popular.

But don't overlook her pendant. It's the key to understanding why Alamy is different from the Nar Shaddaa riffraff and the Coruscanti party crowd alike. That's the symbol of Sud'ya, Devaronian goddess of justice, who sees what you do and makes sure you pay for it. Sounds a lot like AAA.

Motivation

Injustice (Corruption): A just society passes laws that protect its citizens regardless of species, wealth level, or planet of origin, while an unjust one governs based on prejudice and passes laws that support the rich at the expense of everyone else. Alamy often finds herself fighting against corrupt police forces and legal system personnel, especially on planets aligned with the Republic, since it is supposed to represent the counter example to all that is wrong with the Sith Empire.

Morality

Emotional Strength: Justice: A strong sense of right and wrong means that Alamy's focus becomes sharp and intense when a wrong is identified. Correcting a wrong brings a strong sense of satisfaction.

Emotional Weakness: Cruelty: Alamy not only serves as a self-appointed judge and jury, but she also starts to believe that inflicting pain or humiliation is a fitting punishment. How else are the wicked supposed to learn?

Credits: 93
Last edited by SavageBob on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I just rechecked my character creation and math, and here's a breakdown on how character creation went. (I was wrong about F&D specializations only granting 1 free skill rank; they grant 2. For that reason, I've only take one additional skill rank to get back on par with the EOTE/AOR folks.) Unfortunately, I'm a Mac user, so I can't use OggDude's character generator to check all this. I think it's solid, though.

Career: Sentinel

Computers
Deception 1
Perception 1
Skulduggery
Stealth 1
Knowledge (Core Worlds)

Force Rating 1

Perception
Streetwise
Knowledge (Education) 1
Knowledge (Underworld) 1

Well Rounded 1

Cool
Ranged (Light)

1 Extra Free Skill Rank

Perception 2

Species: Devaronian (95 XP + 10 for Morality)

Deception 2 (free from species)
Resilient Metabolism (+1 Success on Resilience checks)

30 Intellect 3
40 Cunning 4
20 Presence 2

5 Ranged (Light) 1
10 Ranged (Light) 2

20 Earned XP

5 Farsight (Basic Power)
10 Misdirect (Basic Power)
5 Range 1

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I will added it to my Oggdude and double check everything tonight. I will be ready to add you to the storyline soon. It will be once they leave the bar. Not sure what the players are planning to do next so it could be handled a couple of different ways.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:15 pm

it says you still have 5 xp.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 am

Trip wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:15 pm
it says you still have 5 xp.
Ah, that's a nice surprise. I'll take the top-row Uncanny Senses talent in that case.

Trip
Flyboy

Post by Trip » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 am

go ahead and post it in the Character forum.

Return to “Character Concepts”