Discussion on base character creation

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Discussion on base character creation

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 am

I think you're conflating being excited by the setting/premise of the game with being excited about the game itself, especially since it's a playtest of rules-in-the-making. I'll reserve judgment on the game until after it gets off the ground. Better to say that I'm "intrigued". That, and you know how pedantic I can get. That this hits 2 of my top 3 favorite things in life (sci-fi, military history, gaming) just adds spice. You don't see me playing any fantasy RPGs around here (especially anything d20ish), do ya?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Just a brief followup so I don't forget: I've read the synopses of the various propaganda films I mentioned. They tend to follow a pattern of basically attacking the British for stealing Germany's imperial thunder in World War I and thereafter. Some depict Germany's colonial conquests of Africa and lionize the German empire before it was dismantled, while others show how that dismantling damaged humanity by stopping important research programs (like medicine) or initiatives that required access to African territory and resources. Basically propaganda that says, "Hey, we were better colonizers, and the Brits are terrible for preventing our good work."

The black actors were primarily set dressing, but they were needed to give the films the necessary "authenticity" the Germans wanted. This means that black people in Nazi Germany were something of an asset, since there were so few of them, and dozens might be needed for productions like these. Even black POWs captured from French and British Africa were sometimes kept out of labor camps, prisons, or worse so that they could appear in films like these. The other group of black actors were the descendants of colonial subjects who moved to Europe before World War I, as I mentioned. Works well for a PC, since he won't be expected to be a "star," just an extra who knows his way around a film set and, probably more important, "knows his place."

Please note all the scare quotes here. I'm definitely not taking the Nazi Germans' side on these matters, just presenting things how they wanted them.

And the character's admittedly an edge case for a WWII spy game, but that's what playtesting is all about. :)

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:16 pm

I’m thinking of creating a character that is the son of Greek immigrants. Thanks to shoddy child labor laws I’ll be able to list factory worker as background info and with the Great Depression having him lose his employment and enlisting in the Army. Would it be bad if we had multiple players with a background in demolitions? I was thinking of having him volunteer for an engineer job with additional training in demolitions. His motivation is to be able to send money back to support his family. Also thinking to add in something about his father dying in the Great War and that’s why he feels obligated to take care of his family as well as giving him a reason to enlist.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:40 pm

@kanila I can not say for sure because I have not play tested these rules... But I don't think it will be a problem. Skills in this game should progress organically, your background will already give you a slight edge but that edge will be less significant as you develop other skills. Basically you progress with what you use and you use what the mission requires.

Let's find out together if it will be a problem or not.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:02 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 am
I think you're conflating being excited by the setting/premise of the game with being excited about the game itself, especially since it's a playtest of rules-in-the-making. I'll reserve judgment on the game until after it gets off the ground. Better to say that I'm "intrigued". That, and you know how pedantic I can get. That this hits 2 of my top 3 favorite things in life (sci-fi, military history, gaming) just adds spice. You don't see me playing any fantasy RPGs around here (especially anything d20ish), do ya?
I can see that. I'm hopeful the system shows potential. Since this is the first run through it is mostly to identify weaknesses, exploits, gaps, and things that just don't work. Fortunately this is a great group to help me identify those and other issues.

Good to know you want to avoid fantasy... I am considering in adding optional rules for some occult magics. While I have ideas for items based on history, the spear of destiny, arc of the covenant and others from fiction, the devils coins, they would not be added until a base system is working correctly.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:16 pm

You thinking of adding Cthulhu or Hellboy-ish elements at some point? SS sorcerers!

I don't mind fantasy so much, I just burned out on hack-n-slash "Monty Haul" gaming in the mid-90s ... and I detest d20. (I still play some fantasy CRPGs, but only when I don't have other games I haven't burned out on.) I do love everything that White Wolf puts out, which is all fantasy.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Something like that yeah. More along the Hellboy without hell boy style. I.e. the artifacts actually do have some mystic abilities but probably not monsters.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Found an error in my d&d dice roller. It is fixed. Apparently D10 dice rolling 0 were counted as 0 not 10. That has been fixed, i just hope I haven't messed up the percentile roll. I shouldn't have but rolling percentile dice until I happen to roll a 100 is outside my current level of patience. We will have to watch it as the game progresses. If this takes off I'll customize a roller to make things easier with this game.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:49 pm

About to head off to work but I’ll try to get my character concept up soonish.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:50 pm

No problem. I'll get a section up on the next part of character creation for the others. There are three stages, but the 'training' missions will occur after stage two.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm

As your characters are ready, I will pass them through the rifle range. Each character will have their own thread as it is more of an individual challenge. The other challenges will be group based.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 pm

@kanila Looking forward to seeing your greek character. No rush. Which reminds me

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 pm

swrider wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:12 pm
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:44 pm

Total: 100
Character: Gavin Addair
Campaign: Ungentlemanly Warfare
Description:
ImageImage
100/31 ... Observation skill +3
Rule of 1 and 100 comes into play here (Basically triumph and dispair but with more defined benefits). Please roll a 1d10 and add that to your observation skil. Yes the whole roll. on a 1 you subtract the result from your score...
Total: 4
Character: Gavin Addair
Campaign: Ungentlemanly Warfare
Description: correction
1D10= 4
indivdiual rolls: 4
+4 instead of +3. Skill is at 44 instead of 43.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 pm

@ShadoWarrior you get both the +3 and the +4. the 1d10 is in addition to.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:49 pm

That would have made attempt #7 a success (no need for sets #8-12) and the end result for me is the same: a skill of 47.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Still, a score of 47 is pretty good considering you started at a 10 at the beginning of the range. I was hoping for quick initial skill progress which tapers off as things progress and that seems to be working. Observation is a key skill which gets used a lot. It will likely end up being one of everyone's highest skills. What was your final break down on skill improvement?
Observation went from 10 to 47
Rifle went from 40 to ?
Description went from 10 to ?
Memorization went from 10 to?

Also please update your characters skill sheet once the thread is done. Which it pretty much is.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:58 pm

Rifle is currently at 46, but I've two more shots (at least) at 300m to attempt.
Description is at 12, Memorization is at 20.
I update the sheet after every improvement.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:00 am

LOL, I made a bad assumption as I have not been going back to check each time.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 am

swrider wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 pm
@kanila Looking forward to seeing your greek character. No rush. Which reminds me

Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Should be able to get something up tonight.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:26 am

@kanila go ahead and put up stage 1 and two for character development. you can see the basics in the other characters threads or at the rules explanations in the house rules forum.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 am

Just as a side thing I figured you guys mine fine humorous.
I went of with friends tonight for a birthday get together of one of them. We went to a place called Waypoint 6: Tavern and Geekery, fun place, sci-fi and fantasy themed (tonight they had a Harry Potter trivia contest). I actually had to ask, jokingly, whether they were allowed to use my screenname as a name for one of their dishes. The dish is 3B-4, close enough to my own 3B4 that I use on various sites or even gets shortened to here.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:06 am

That is funny.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:55 pm

You really need to get us that roller up and running. It's my opinion, and the other players may disagree, but I think that getting a custom roller for this game up will make the game much more enjoyable for everyone than continuing to run the training and then, after, working on the roller (which is what it seems you're doing -- unless you're doing both).

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Actually I'm recovering my bathroom getting my house ready to sell and running the training. I've already updated my code, but have not uploaded it for testing and adjustment.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:57 pm

It will be done this well most likely.

Return to “Discussion”