Discussion on base character creation

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Discussion on base character creation

Post by swrider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:57 pm

@kanila @SavageBob I have posted some information on base character creation and an example character. Don't worry about specific mechanics at this point. Simply fill in the blanks and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Discussion on base character creation

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 pm

I'm interested as well! My first question is that, based on the skills list, does this game use FFG's system? Also, historically, SOE was formed on 22 July 1940 from elements of the SIS (aka MI6). My second question is exactly when in 1940, 41, or 42 you intend to start us? My next question is whether we're allowed to create a character that was already in one of the parts of SIS that SOE was formed from. Those 3 departments of SIS were formed in 1938 (in response to Hitler annexing Austria), so the character could have 2+ years of intelligence service already ... plus whatever background prior to SIS they may have had.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

No this will not use FFGs dice system or skills/ talents system. Both are my design based off my experiences as a player and a GM. This system will put a lot more emphasis on skill than luck, but will also include an element of luck. Also character progression will be much more fluid and consistent than in other games. At least it will with the system I have in mind. In all fairness the system could be crap because it has not been play tested yet and you don't know until you use it.

I have a starter mission in mind which is based on historical events that occur in 1942. As such this instance of the game will be in 1942.

To help with the development of the game and potential starter adventure I will not allow character that are preexisting within the organization at this point. Combat is DEADLY in this game and character deaths are expected, there may be room to bring in another character later without this restriction. However, the spy game is deadly, the average life expectancy of an SOE radio operator for example was 6 weeks. Few SOE agents made it past two missions. A veteran like you described would most likely be an instructor at that point.

ALSO the SOE training syllabus has been recently declassified and published. If you would like to look at these 300+ pages I am using as reference material please feel free too. There is a lot of interesting information in them. https://ironwolf008.files.wordpress.com ... rigden.pdf

Also please note, that while this game is based in a historical time frame and may include historical characters, it will deviate from history.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 pm

I added a rough outline of how I invishion my skill system working including skill progression. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Skill check DCs will range from about 10 to 130. ten being something extremely routine and 130 being something that can only be performed by a very skilled trained operator. An example of a DC 130 would be shooting a target at the very end of the maximum effective range of a rifle.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 pm
My next question is whether we're allowed to create a character that was already in one of the parts of SIS that SOE was formed from. Those 3 departments of SIS were formed in 1938 (in response to Hitler annexing Austria), so the character could have 2+ years of intelligence service already ... plus whatever background prior to SIS they may have had.
So I've been thinking about this request. In spite of my answer given above, there is a possibility for this type of character. There are multiple ways this game could be played many of them work better as single-player games than they do as a group. The organization set up by SOE agents operated in Cells with each cell having minimal contact with the others. A single SOE agent often established the organization and his lieutenants and their cells were often local recruits. A group of SOE agents was actually uncommon, though additional agents could be called in for special assignments like demolition teams, commando forces, and radio operators. I had assumed the group would want to play as a commando/ demolition/ some other type of cell with the rest being abstracted out.

If you are willing to be separate from the other players, but still part of the group. your character could play the role of the organizer or another roll in the organization. It would make sense that such a character has been in the area of operations longer, especially if it is a well-developed organization. In effect, I would be running to parallel games where you are working on establishing the organization, selecting targets, etc... and they are one of the key cells carrying out their orders.

I plan on starting the group out in a training phase, to both help work on the mechanics as well as get the characters skills developed, your character could start already behind enemy lines working on preparing things for the arrival of the others.

Thoughts?

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:48 am

@swrider this sounds pretty interesting and I would not mind joining if you have the space. As a general warning I normally only get to make it on-line later in the evenings during the week, but if that's good for you I'd like in.
I already have an idea for a character.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:54 am

What does SOE stand for?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 am

I like the idea of the group being a commando team. Other than radio operators, which were usually locals working for the SOE and not actual SOE agents themselves, most of the work that SOE did in occupied territory was either training locals (in recon or demo) or targeted assassinations, with some recon if SOE didn't feel they could trust the info they were getting from locals or they didn't have anyone in that area.

If I was playing a more experienced character there's actually two ways to do it. One is as you mentioned: already be in-country and prepping things for the others. But that approach will require that events happen that force my character to leave (with or separately from them) when the other PCs exfiltrate. Otherwise we'll be split and it's too much of a stretch to ever get us together again.

The other scenario is that my character is their training officer, and I decide to jump in with them. Contriving a reason for doing that will be the only sticking point, as training officers were almost literally worth their weight in gold. Perhaps I feel the need to be able to make a judgement call on the spot rather than rely on second-hand knowledge (the team's reports).

Much depends on the nature of the mission itself.

BTW, one of my oldest hobbies is history. I've been studying military history, WW2 in particular, since 1968. Yep, over 50 years at it.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 am

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:54 am
What does SOE stand for?
Special Operations Executive. Google it. It'll be worth your time to study up on it.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 am

Soe d actually train their own radio operators. They had as social school dedicated to that very purpose. Keeping the reason operator safe was a primary concern as they were the operators most at risk.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 am

Any particular age range you are looking at for the agents? Would 26-27 be reasonable?
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 am

Soe receipted from all demographics. No younger than 16 no older than say 80

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 am

I didn't say that SOE didn't have their own radio operators. I said that most of the radio operators working in occupied territories were locals (civilians). Radio operators have to stay in an area for weeks, usually months or years, and that was best done by having a local Resistance person fill the job. Strangers raise suspicion, especially strangers that hang around for more than a few days. SOE would drop in an agent to bring him (or her) a radio and a code book, an to train them in using the radio, procedures, and what SOE was interested in learning about. Once the local was trained the SOE agent left and went on to his next assignment, while the Resistance member went back to his or her daily life of being a farmer or barmaid or whatever.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:23 am

They have to be physically fit and able to pass parachute training. That would tend to rule out most people past their 40s (in that time period where flight medicine wasn't as advanced as it is today, and jumpers didn't have modern paraglider chutes). Landings were rough. Brigadier General Gavin, a highly trained and still-young officer, broke his back when he landed near Nijmegen during Operation Market-Garden.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:30 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 am
SavageBob wrote:
What does SOE stand for?
Special Operations Executive. Google it. It'll be worth your time to study up on it.
The special operations executive was the allied country's spy service. It was run by brittian but also started what became the CIA. It was an intelligence and sabotage organization. It daughter to organize and enhace the resistance movements in occupied countries.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:38 am

swrider wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:30 am
ShadoWarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 am
SavageBob wrote:
What does SOE stand for?
The special operations executive was the allied country's spy service. It was run by brittian but also started what became the CIA. It was an intelligence and sabotage organization. It daughter to organize and enhace the resistance movements in occupied countries.
If memory serves correctly the American predecessor to the CIA was the OSS

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:38 am

swrider wrote:
That's not entirely accurate. England already had two spy services, long before SOE: MI5 (the United Kingdom's domestic counter-intelligence and security agency) and MI6 (the British foreign intelligence service). SOE was part of MI6. The U.S. CIA was formed from the U.S. O.S.S. (Office of Strategic Services), which was created a month before the SOE. In the USA, the role of MI5 is handled by the FBI, while the MI6 equivalent is the CIA (well, the CIA and NSA now). In fact, it was the American creation of a single intel organization, the OSS, that spurred the Brits to get their shit together and stick 3 separate departments of MI6 together under a single commander, thereby forming SOE.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:38 am
swrider wrote:
That's not entirely accurate. England already had two spy services, long before SOE: MI5 (the United Kingdom's domestic counter-intelligence and security agency) and MI6 (the British foreign intelligence service). SOE was part of MI6. The U.S. CIA was formed from the U.S. O.S.S. (Office of Strategic Services), which was created a month before the SOE. In the USA, the role of MI5 is handled by the FBI, while the MI6 equivalent is the CIA (well, the CIA and NSA now).
And now I know my ABCs :lol:

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:43 am

ABC: American Bureau of Chaos. Aka the White House.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:54 am

Lol. Soe trained the oss at camp x the to went have in hand during the war. They were seriated though.

Side note the head instructor for counterespionage at camp x and the head in that field for all of the soe and oss was... A Russian spy. Lol

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:02 am

Yes, the Russians had thoroughly infested the Brits, both MI5 and MI6. And thanks to the Brits, Fuchs got into the Manhattan Project which is how the Russians were able to develop their own A-bomb and test it in 1949, at least 5 years ahead of the CIA's predictions.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 am

Shado. I don't like the instructor idea and would prefer everyone start on equal footing. I done know how well this skill system will work out level yet so attempting to create a 'high level' will be by guess and by gosh. I'm willing to try it but not if you will be just be taking with the others anyways.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:55 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:48 am
@swrider this sounds pretty interesting and I would not mind joining if you have the space. As a general warning I normally only get to make it on-line later in the evenings during the week, but if that's good for you I'd like in.
I already have an idea for a character.
Welcome to the game. If paying becomes an issues we can move your character to guard duty it something like that. There are room for characters of all sorts and activity levels in the game. Besides I'm still making this up... So I'll Porbably be slow also.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:15 am

swrider wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 am
Shado. I don't like the instructor idea and would prefer everyone start on equal footing. I done know how well this skill system will work out level yet so attempting to create a 'high level' will be by guess and by gosh. I'm willing to try it but not if you will be just be taking with the others anyways.
That's fine. I was just tossing out an idea. I'm not wedded to it or anything like that. I'll work up something suitably noobyish.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:47 pm

Working up a character concept now. I'm thinking of a French West African colonial subject who gets recruited by the Brits when they oust the Vichy regime from the French African colonies. Probably a day laborer from Côte d'Ivoire who idolizes American film stars.

Return to “Discussion”