General Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS * Use DS * Update
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: General Discussion

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 am
That was what I was thinking. No professionals, or at least not skilled professionals. Like the lawyer being someone fresh out of law school and looking for experience. The stylist is just someone with a lot of enthusiasm but not formal training and their own twist on things.

I suddenly want the security to actually be a chatty old B-1 droid.
That works, for sure. :) Far Horizons doesn't offer any guidance for how competent the employees/droids should be, but I'd say they need to be at least somewhat competent to make the business a viable starting resource compared to a starship. So, yeah, folks just starting out or past their prime, but not rank amateurs in whatever their main task for the band will be. (That doesn't mean a hypothetical lawyer couldn't be a rank amateur in another arena; maybe the character is a decent lawyer but is hanging around because he wants to learn to play the fanfar).

I'm thinking these NPCs will all be Rivals, and their stats might not match anything officially published. So, for instance, if the security droid is an old B1, the droid will be at least competent at his job in a basic sense and might be more competent than the B1 stats we've seen in other products (I believe they're Minions by default, but ours wouldn't be). It might even make sense for the NPCs to grow in skill and ability over time, perhaps graduating to full Nemeses at some point.

Tentatively, we have:

1) Astro-powermech (computers skills, can help with preprogrammed stagecraft)
2) B1 security droid

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm

So I have a weird desire to have geise have a young protégée, another chiss he found cast out from the ascendency like himself who wants to live a freer life than what was possible amongst their people.

He doesn’t have to be a musician and could help out the group in other ways but I just think it would be interesting for geise to have someone who he sees himself being almost an uncle to.

Alternatively the niece/nephew character can be from any race with a similarly ridged culture but it would make more sense if they were also chiss.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm
So I have a weird desire to have geise have a young protégée, another chiss he found cast out from the ascendency like himself who wants to live a freer life than what was possible amongst their people.

He doesn’t have to be a musician and could help out the group in other ways but I just think it would be interesting for geise to have someone who he sees himself being almost an uncle to.

Alternatively the niece/nephew character can be from any race with a similarly ridged culture but it would make more sense if they were also chiss.
I think with Ghaise's Obligations, any Chiss he sees needs to immediately trigger an "oh no" response in his head! In other words, I think it would strain credulity to have another Chiss exile around (and would cheapen Ghaise's uniqueness as a character). I like the idea of a protege, so how about someone from a similar culture, just not Chiss? And what would their role be from a purely utilitarian perspective? We don't really need more musicians, so maybe this is someone learning music but offering Skill X in return.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm

I think with Ghaise's Obligations, any Chiss he sees needs to immediately trigger an "oh no" response in his head! In other words, I think it would strain credulity to have another Chiss exile around (and would cheapen Ghaise's uniqueness as a character). I like the idea of a protege, so how about someone from a similar culture, just not Chiss? And what would their role be from a purely utilitarian perspective? We don't really need more musicians, so maybe this is someone learning music but offering Skill X in return.
Yea I like that, maybe they aren't a musician but they are trying to be an artist, let me try to see if there are any cultures that are like the Chiss and wouldn't support a career in the arts.

Personally I don't think it would be so strange to have a lot of exiles together since people in similar situations tend to group together, so it would be more likely to find a group of Chiss exiles rather than a single one, but I think I like the idea of Geise intentionally isolating himself from his people, to include other Chiss exiles, while still seeking the comfort of family that he found amongst them.

Maybe the protege could even be a war orphan who was living on the streets and Geise took in?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm
Personally I don't think it would be so strange to have a lot of exiles together since people in similar situations tend to group together, so it would be more likely to find a group of Chiss exiles rather than a single one, but I think I like the idea of Geise intentionally isolating himself from his people, to include other Chiss exiles, while still seeking the comfort of family that he found amongst them.
Yeah, I get that. It's just that in Star Wars, Chiss are supposed to be exceedingly rare. I think it makes Geise more interesting if he's alone from his own kind and actually somewhat afraid or at least uneasy about encountering another Chiss.
Maybe the protege could even be a war orphan who was living on the streets and Geise took in?
That works for me. If you have species ideas, run 'em by me, or I can find something. This person might be your costume and makeup person if you want to go with the artist angle.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 pm

That works, for sure. :) Far Horizons doesn't offer any guidance for how competent the employees/droids should be, but I'd say they need to be at least somewhat competent to make the business a viable starting resource compared to a starship. So, yeah, folks just starting out or past their prime, but not rank amateurs in whatever their main task for the band will be. (That doesn't mean a hypothetical lawyer couldn't be a rank amateur in another arena; maybe the character is a decent lawyer but is hanging around because he wants to learn to play the fanfar).

I'm thinking these NPCs will all be Rivals, and their stats might not match anything officially published. So, for instance, if the security droid is an old B1, the droid will be at least competent at his job in a basic sense and might be more competent than the B1 stats we've seen in other products (I believe they're Minions by default, but ours wouldn't be). It might even make sense for the NPCs to grow in skill and ability over time, perhaps graduating to full Nemeses at some point.

Tentatively, we have:

1) Astro-powermech (computers skills, can help with preprogrammed stagecraft)
2) B1 security droid
Well, wouldn’t be the first B-1 to exceed it’s programming. There is Mr. Bones after all. If you’re thinking the NPCs should be rival level may I also suggest the option of a minion group for security?

I kinda like the idea of someone trading services for lessons. Funny enough there is a lawyer in my gaming circle who does street theatre on his days off. I could see a similar situation where one is getting lessons or even doing some of his own recording (we wouldn’t be using the studio ALL the time) in exchange for services.

Geise’s protege is another good idea. Really it mirrors a bit of Meshel’s story so I like the idea the band is helping other orphans/street kids. I like the idea that maybe the band is good folks with the local community it suggests.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Yea I like that, maybe they aren't a musician but they are trying to be an artist, let me try to see if there are any cultures that are like the Chiss and wouldn't support a career in the arts.
What about a Lasat? Similar in many ways: exceedingly rare, militaristic, proud. Maybe this one is something of a pacifist artist. He or she failed to stand up to Imperial slavers and now feels deeply guilty that their whole village was enslaved or decimated by the Empire.
Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, wouldn’t be the first B-1 to exceed it’s programming. There is Mr. Bones after all. If you’re thinking the NPCs should be rival level may I also suggest the option of a minion group for security?
That's a possibility. It's narratively fun, but I just worry that they'll be useless at their job if we ever run a combat scenario at the business.
Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm
Geise’s protege is another good idea. Really it mirrors a bit of Meshel’s story so I like the idea the band is helping other orphans/street kids. I like the idea that maybe the band is good folks with the local community it suggests.
It also makes Zannel's betrayal all the more surprising and harmful, since presumably he was all about supporting local talent... until he wasn't.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 pm

@SavageBob I am really into the idea of a Lasat, or maybe a Nagai, I think I would want them to be a teenager, perhaps they were from the Lesat police caste that ran away when they wanted to be an artist only to be caught by slavers until Geise freed them and took them in.

It says that Lesat have a rich oral tradition so perhaps they could be an artist and aspiring songwriter for the group while also having a special talent? I do like the trope of a useless adult adopts a stray child only for the child to have to take care of the adult who can't do basic life things like managing a checkbook.

Currently on Dubai time

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm

We could use a Class Three droid for our administrative/communication tasks (accountant, marketing assistant, ticket booth, reservations, administrative/legal tasks, ... )

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm

LaGouache wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm
We could use a Class Three droid for our administrative/communication tasks (accountant, marketing assistant, ticket booth, reservations, administrative/legal tasks, ... )
There are definitely some droid models that would be useful to have for business needs. A CZ-series, for instance, or an Analyst Droid. What would Voron prefer for a helper? A droid or an organic?

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:50 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm
LaGouache wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm
There are definitely some droid models that would be useful to have for business needs. A CZ-series, for instance, or an Analyst Droid. What would Voron prefer for a helper? A droid or an organic?
Voron has no roots, he his a peculiar organist book worm, he might be most at ease with a droid than with an organic

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 am

I suddenly want the security to actually be a chatty old B-1 droid.
Mr Bones!!!!?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 pm

That's a possibility. It's narratively fun, but I just worry that they'll be useless at their job if we ever run a combat scenario at the business.
The eternal battle between narrative and functionality....
Well, the underestimated super b-1 would be interesting too.
It also makes Zannel's betrayal all the more surprising and harmful, since presumably he was all about supporting local talent... until he wasn't.
Which will make an interesting thread to follow.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 pm
Mr Bones!!!!?
Maybe not so....stabby.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 pm

An aspiring song/music writer is a good idea. Can't be too in-depth else it over shadows the main character or becomes a 2nd main character. And , by all means, if the idea for an NPC becomes so appealing, nothing wrong with swapping out. ;)

My tabletop friend is fond of saying, "When everyone is special, then no one is." If Chiss are exceedingly rare, then another one cheapens that and a small enclave of such refugees just makes it not even so. It would seem that an intergalactic miracle would be needed just to find two in the same place. Oddly enough, this same player has created a Chiss female, followed by another Chiss female, with no sense of hypocrisy of it all. :D. He's even finds it somewhat incredulous that blue skin, red eyes, and a drag ok n face tattoo makes him stand out so easily. "Lots of beings have blue skin," he says. I understand, though, there is a fascination with the species for it's look and rarity, but it's not so rare when they're everywhere.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Would I be correct in assuming that these assistant mpc's are basically there to lend a boost die to things that we are doing?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:49 pm
Would I be correct in assuming that these assistant mpc's are basically there to lend a boost die to things that we are doing?
In many situations they can do that, yes. Others can just be narrative, covering tasks PCs have opted not to specialize in. So, say, a costume designer and makeup artist is a narrative way for us to explain where your clothes come from (and possibly to net you all boosts for having snappy threads). As I see it, they're like the supporting characters in a TV drama: there when it's convenient, in the background when it's not. I imagine most of them don't live with you, with the exception of the droids.

They'd do more than just add boost dice in certain situations, like the battle droid being a full-fledged combatant if your business were invaded by thugs, say. And you might be able to give them background tasks to do while you're adventuring, like the companions in SWTOR. "Hey, CZ, compile a dossier on Imperial intellectual-property law, and have it ready by this evening!"

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 am

So, looks like we've got:

1) Power/astromech droid (helps with stagecraft)
2) Security droid (B1?)
3) Business/administrative or legal droid (helps with admin and legal stuff)
4) Gheise's protege who does some other important task (possibly makeup/costumes)

That just leaves:

5) @DeepSpacer's pick

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 am

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 am
2) Security droid (B1?)
4) Gheise's protege who does some other important task (possibly makeup/costumes)
That just leaves:
5) DeepSpacer's pick
I am thinking Bodyguard. She's a beautiful Twi'lek, but needs protection to keep the nuts at-bay. Something like a Herglic. Affectionately protective. ROADHOUSE

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:15 am

Or...orphan street thief. Took the female underling under her wing.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:34 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 am
I am thinking Bodyguard. She's a beautiful Twi'lek, but needs protection to keep the nuts at-bay. Something like a Herglic. Affectionately protective. ROADHOUSE

Or...orphan street thief. Took the female underling under her wing.
Either idea could work. You do have an Enforcer in the band, and most Cunning stuff is covered, but some backup in either department could be useful. Let me know if you find yourself leaning one way or the other.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 am

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 am

2) Security droid (B1?)

That just leaves:

5) DeepSpacer's pick
I wasn't thinking costume design or makeup honestly, more of advertisement art, album covers, possibly costume design, but most likely not makeup, also potentially they would have some combat skills considering they come from a police caste.

I saw some potential pictures i thought of for what she could look like

or this one if younger

I think I want geise to have found her and adopted her even before joining the band, so she is very much like a daughter to him and affectionately calls him uncle. Geise would have encouraged her to pursue her art while also having taught her all she needs to know about military functions knowing that if anything ever happened to him she would need to protect herself.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:39 am

so I realized now that with this npc that geise is now a dad and will be making dad jokes and that if we do go with the older version of the npc then he is going to want to get improved commanding presence as soon as possible to scare off his daughter's potential suitors.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:39 am
so I realized now that with this npc that geise is now a dad and will be making dad jokes and that if we do go with the older version of the npc then he is going to want to get improved commanding presence as soon as possible to scare off his daughter's potential suitors.
:lol: I was actually thinking about one of those two Lasat as well. Just remember that these are supporting characters, so she won't be plot-central most of the time. But GMs like it when characters have family, as it gives us folks to spark adventures with. 8-) :twisted:

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:09 am

Lol, yea I figured, I’m really looking forward to it. Also I saw you say that the npcs will have like a signature move, I was thinking that since geise’s Adopted daughter is the art and costume designer that she could have somthing like “an eye for quality”

Also it is important to note that I haven’t settled on an age for geise yet, although I can tell he is probably the oldest in the group, but for chiss this means that he is functionally even older by comparison since a chiss is fully grown at the age of 10 so a chiss in their 20’s and 30’s is comparable to a human in their 30’s and 40’s

Depending on the age you want to go for his adoptive daughter bob ill likely put his age as 20 more than that, although I’m thinking I wouldn’t want her to be much older than 15, maybe 16.

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “Discussion”