General Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS * Use DS * Update
ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Re: General Discussion

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 pm
ThreeBFour wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 pm
SavageBob wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Not bad. Just seems a bit wordy, especially with Zannel's name in front of it. I also like how "Blueshift Echoes" sounds like you all might be the Echoes in question. Hearkens to the theme of trying to emerge from your former star's shadow. But I'm open to whatever y'all comes up with.
Actually there is a very good point in there. We could have originally been Redbeam and the Blueshift, but when Zannel went solo, we changed it to The Blueshift Echos
Again, I like this idea. To be honest, “Echoes of the Blueshift” sounds more like the title of an album rather than a band.
So we also have the title of our 1st album....lol

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Blue-(shift?). Blue something.....something blue.....
Bluelight Echoes?
Bluenews
Bluecrew
The New Blues.... (Redbeam and the Blues)
The Blues Travelers

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Blue-(shift?). Blue something.....something blue.....
Bluelight Echoes?
Bluenews
Bluecrew
The New Blues.... (Redbeam and the Blues)
The Blues Travelers
Good thing nobody is actually related then we end up with the Blues Brothers by your list [playing the cover of I'm Blue (ba da dee)]

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:12 am

@SavageBob BD-BD looks cool, and I'm think that you are having WAY TOO MUCH fun with the NPCs. The story behind the Lawyer-droid is great....lol

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:12 am
@SavageBob BD-BD looks cool, and I'm think that you are having WAY TOO MUCH fun with the NPCs. The story behind the Lawyer-droid is great....lol
Yeah, looking forward to the story behind the others as well. Specially Beedee and Oom.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:22 am

So let's play on this, instead of just blue shift what about Blues shift, since the style of our music is reminiscent of blues and other forms of folk and jazz music.

I think Echoes of the Blues Shift does sound more like an album and I say that should be the first album that we do, maybe a re-release of some of our old favorites sans the lead vocals.

Maybe even Blues Shift to Hyperlight is our second album (I really like the idea of using Hyperlight and Echoes in our album names.)

We could also just be The Blues Shift, without anything else, after all there was Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan and the Band, and The Band
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Sorry, Boutrose -- I need to veto any earth terms. "Blues" is an earth genre, so we'd need it to be something reminiscent but not exactly the same. The same way jazz in Star Wars becomes "jizz" (named before that was a dirty term, I assume) or "jatz."

At any rate, "blueshift" can be a play on words, since the "S" is doing double duty. :)

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Is releasing an album also a earth concept? Or do they only release separate tunes in the SW universe? Aren't the songs more like long and extensive rather than 2:30 snippets?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm

On further reflection, "blueshift" could be the genre name for the music you've all invented with Zannel. We could describe it as a more soulful sound than much of what's out there in the galaxy. Maybe Zannel wanted to push it in more jatzy directions, and some of you balked, leading to the breakup.

I still like the "Blueshift Echoes" the best of the name options so far, but "the Hyperlight Blueshift" would also work for a more high-concept feel.

As for albums and earth terms, it's always a judgment call in Star Wars. The trick is to make things understandable enough so that we earthlings can easily grasp what's going on, yet make it exotic enough so that it doesn't wrench us out of the galaxy far, far away.

The solution that EU writers and canon folks usually go to is to just rename things that sound too earthy. So, jazz = jizz, disco = jatz, hip-hop = leap-jump. Blues = blueshift? There's actually an entire section on the galactic music industry in the old WEG RPG book Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. Bands put out albums that include tracks (individual songs). Every track published must be approved by the Imperial Board of Culture. Banned music gets a "scarlet" rating from this organization.

Albums are also sometimes called "slugs," as this is the common term for data disks or chits with music files on them. Full album slugs contain audio recordings, but because storage space is so plentiful in the GFFA, most also include behind-the-scenes interviews, holovids of the band performing, and other bonus material. There are regulations in place regarding the use of subsonic and hypersonic frequencies, since these can affect various species in unforeseen ways. There is also à la carte track purchasing; you can buy a blank slug and then copy songs to it. You just need to buy a copy of the song for 1–3 credits. Buying the full album gives you a discount, costing 6–10 credits. Presumably, music piracy also exists.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Great stuff!!!!

I think was can do performance holovids, too, to play on screens in cantinas.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:40 pm

nice, I love the sound of all this, I also love how the genre we play could be called blueshift

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:41 pm

so crazy thought, what if we were just called the echoes? so our name would have been Redmane and the Echoes?

Currently on Dubai time

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm

So the music played is blueshift,
The band called the Echos, Hyperlight Echoes or Blueshift Echoes.

Did @DeepSpacer ever decide on their NPC yet too?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm
So the music played is blueshift,
The band called the Echos, Hyperlight Echoes or Blueshift Echoes.

Did @DeepSpacer ever decide on their NPC yet too?
All of that sounds good to me. I personally prefer [something] Echoes to just the Echoes, since it makes it more Star Warsy, but I want y'all to all be at least OK with the band name we end up at.

DS is still deciding on a fifth NPC. Perhaps a bodyguard or tricksy acolyte. That said (and this isn't directed at DS or anyone in particular) I want to stress that they are a resource for all of you; even if someone "owns" a particular droid or is the mentor to one of the NPCs, they should be considered party backup, not just backup for specific PCs.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Well Targus does technically own Genius, but he is programmed to answer to anyone in the group, with Targus as the primary.

I still like The Blueshift Echos as a name.

On a side note I somehow ended up watching Disney XD this afternoon Phineas and Ferb the Star Wars episode is actually kinda funny with extra music added in. It's also incredibly corny, you guys will probably enjoy it :lol: . Season 4 Episode 27.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 pm

I’ll add my vote again for Blueshift Echoes.

Speaking of amusing thing elsewhere. This seemed relevant to this game. https://youtu.be/-ROl4LuyNQM

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 pm

That was pretty funny @Spiritbw

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 am

Totally understand that the npcs are group backup, that said, if anyone is mean to Geise’s adopted daughter he will have words with you.

Also @SavageBob what would you peg her age at? 10? If so I might have geise be 30 or 32.

Also it says that she gets really annoyed with authority, will this mean that she will occasionally give the over dramaticised pained reaction that kids do when their dads tell bad jokes?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 am
Totally understand that the npcs are group backup, that said, if anyone is mean to Geise’s adopted daughter he will have words with you.

Also @SavageBob what would you peg her age at? 10? If so I might have geise be 30 or 32.

Also it says that she gets really annoyed with authority, will this mean that she will occasionally give the over dramaticised pained reaction that kids do when their dads tell bad jokes?
:lol: To your last question: Absolutely. I'm not sure about Lasat maturation rates, but I'd peg her at a bit older than 10, like maybe 14. Geise can be any age above that, but yeah, somewhere in the 32–36 range would cement him in the "dad" versus "older brother" category.

I think our last NPC will be a street thief, someone who can "acquire" things for the band from time to time. Should make for some fun dynamics with the legal droid and Voron. She may share some of Rayzel's background as a street kid brought in by the band, but she'll be at least four or five years older.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am
Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 am

:lol: To your last question: Absolutely. I'm not sure about Lasat maturation rates, but I'd peg her at a bit older than 10, like maybe 14. Geise can be any age above that, but yeah, somewhere in the 32–36 range would cement him in the "dad" versus "older brother" category.

I think our last NPC will be a street thief, someone who can "acquire" things for the band from time to time. Should make for some fun dynamics with the legal droid and Voron. She may share some of Rayzel's background as a street kid brought in by the band, but she'll be at least four or five years older.
I think Meshel might know these two a bit being a fellow street kid. I could see them sharing some opinions on music the others might not have. The like the sound the band has, but might be approaching it from a different angle.

Also like MB20s background there @SavageBob interesting route she took to get to us.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:53 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 am
I think Meshel might know these two a bit being a fellow street kid. I could see them sharing some opinions on music the others might not have. The like the sound the band has, but might be approaching it from a different angle.

Also like MB20s background there @SavageBob interesting route she took to get to us.
Yeah, I'm still tweaking the backgrounds to bring in references to other band members. I still need to do this with Zannel, too. I'll let you all know when the NPC backgrounds are finished, maybe letting you know which ones you're each referenced in. I think Meshel, Rayzel, and the street thief may all have come to the band through a similar trajectory.

As for MB20, it's always a challenge to figure out how to incorporate Clone Wars-era stuff into a Galactic Civil War-based game. I figured given her a fairly high profile and then making her into a PR stunt was one way to do it that was thematic to the band angle.

A few more NPCs to go!

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm loving the idea of the kids having strong ties to one another and having their own little council, it really makes for an interesting add-on to the culture of the band.

Something i did want to point out that is a bit important to me for the NPC, is that in my head I was thinking that Geise would have adopted her off the street soon after he left the ascendency 5 years prior to his joining the band, meaning that she would have "joined the band" with him and he would have introduced her as his daughter to start with.

Since @DeepSpacer was in the band already do you want that their npc was there also when Geise joined so that they might have both been like "yes finally another kid to hang out with"

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:06 pm

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'll be traveling this weekend as my newborn daughter has surgery. (No big deal, right?) I should still have some ability to post, but don't fret if it looks like there's no activity here from me. I'm still writing up the NPC background characters and finalizing the way I want performance scenes to work. Hopefully all goes well, and I'll be back home with a healthy baby in a few days. :)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Also I’m going to get on as much as possible this weekend (for me it is Friday and Saturday) but I start a new job on Sunday and I have a lot of work to do making sure my current class is ready for the new teacher that will take my place.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:00 pm

So just looked at our latest NPC "Wo" should be fun, especially since Targus is set as being 16. :o

Return to “Discussion”