General Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS * Use DS * Update
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Character Generation Guidelines

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 am
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am
Yes. Relatively recent opening. Nothing begun yet in gameplay. Session Zero right now. Welcome to the boards!
Thanks. Well if you don’t mind me slipping in to the spot I’ll read through some more of the information here and see about a concept. :)
SavageBob has the final say, but feel free to explorer. ;)

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:26 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am
Spiritbw wrote:
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am
Yes. Relatively recent opening. Nothing begun yet in gameplay. Session Zero right now. Welcome to the boards!
Thanks. Well if you don’t mind me slipping in to the spot I’ll read through some more of the information here and see about a concept. :)
Thanks and I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:07 am

Maybe the “Two Suns Over Tatooine”
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:26 am
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am
Spiritbw wrote:

Thanks and I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Hey, @Spiritbw! We do indeed have an opening. The first post in this thread has general character-generation guidelines for this game. In a nutshell, you create a starting character using any Age of Rebellion or Edge of the Empire Career and Specialization. The group is pretty heavily slanted toward Presence and Intellect right now, so we could use a Brawn-, Agility-, or Cunning-focused build. You then designate one skill to be your "stage performance" skill that allows you to be up on stage during performance encounters. We are interpreting this very loosely, so as long as you can make a case, most skills will apply.

You're free to pick any background that suits your character. The only stipulation is that you must have joined the band at some point on Nubia (thus joining the other PCs). You all played together and built a modest sound studio until there was a big fight, and your lead singer, Zannel Redbeam, left to go solo. The game will start shortly after the breakup as you and the other band members are picking up the pieces and trying to get back on your feet (hence all the Edge of the Empire stuff starts!)

In game terms, you start with 10 Obligation, but you can bump this up to 20 if you want extra XP or credits. At least 5 of this Obligation should be dedicated to some aspect of the breakup and/or the ongoing rivalry with the former lead singer.

Please feel free to ask questions and get ideas from others if you'd like. You can post your character ideas in the Character Concepts forum. And welcome!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm loving these ideas for names! Just remember that the band used to be called Zannel Redbeam and the ____, so whatever you pick, it should sound natural in that blank above. It's possible Jessa has replaced Redbeam's name, but the second half of the name (again, whatever's in the blank) is part of what Redbeam is fighting you over.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:06 pm

A heads up that I've finalized the Obligation section of character creation. This was a bit wishy-washy, so now I've made it clearer how Obligation works in a group like this and how I'll be using Obligation to tie you all together in your relations to your former lead singer and his lawyers. Here's the revised wording:

Obligation

Characters begin with 10 Obligation. You may choose to take on up to 10 additional Obligation in exchange for access to more starting XP or credits, as described in the Edge of the Empire core rulebook. No matter how much Obligation you have, at least 5 of it must pertain to the band's recent breakup with their former lead singer, Zannel Redbeam.

The group as a whole may wish to take on Group Obligation to improve their business, a recording studio. This may happen at character creation or during the course of play.

If a Talent interacts with Duty in some way, we will reinterpret it to affect Obligation instead. E.g., Positive Spin can be used to lower Obligation rather than to increase Duty.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:48 pm

I was bouncing around ideas myself and thinking of the idea of a street kid who had heard the band play and really liked their sound. He decided to hang around them and started begging to do odd jobs for them and became a roadie for the band in time. As he worked he’d sometimes sing the bands songs and seemed to have a ear for music so Zannel gave him some training and got him doing backup vocals.

Still trying to work out a race and profession though. Thinking he might have been trying to learn an instrument but still isn’t that good with it.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Zannel Redbeam and the Moons of Alderan

Zan's first hit after going solo titled "That's no Moon"

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:23 pm
Zannel Redbeam and the Moons of Alderan

Zan's first hit after going solo titled "That's no Moon"
That's a terrible joke....I loved it....lol :lol:

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 pm

We could go along the lines of Fitz and the Tantrums or Florence and the Machine.
Zannel and the Rancors
Zannel and the Nexu
Zannel and the Sith Lords (or Lords of Sith)

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:48 pm
I was bouncing around ideas myself and thinking of the idea of a street kid who had heard the band play and really liked their sound. He decided to hang around them and started begging to do odd jobs for them and became a roadie for the band in time. As he worked he’d sometimes sing the bands songs and seemed to have a ear for music so Zannel gave him some training and got him doing backup vocals.

Still trying to work out a race and profession though. Thinking he might have been trying to learn an instrument but still isn’t that good with it.
The street kid idea is totally appropriate. The character would be a natural for some sort of scoundrel-ly spec (like Thief or Gambler, or maybe Demolitionist), but it could just as easily work for a more brawny spec (Enforcer would be perfect for this game). Heck, you could even go Bodyguard or Driver if you wanted to be the band's transporter.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Re: General Discussion

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:01 am

I was looking things over and thinking of an agility build and with the background thief seems a natural choice. It'd make him more of the groups goffer as it gives him a wide range of skills. Enforcer would be my other pick as a more street hardened choice. Still has a range of skills but they would be more of a fighter.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 pm

So this is the example of the drums I'm currently going with, and you can see in the other corner that the red ball jet organ looks very similar to the drum, probably due to them both being synthesizers of sorts.

This is another option but i'll have to listen to the force awakens again to hear how it sounds.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

They really do look like the Red Ball Jet Organ.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 pm
So this is the example of the drums I'm currently going with, and you can see in the other corner that the red ball jet organ looks very similar to the drum, probably due to them both being synthesizers of sorts.

This is another option but i'll have to listen to the force awakens again to hear how it sounds.
Either of those would work. I assume SWTOR did the drums that way to save on having to model another instrument; much easier just to reskin the organ. :) Feel free to come up with a unique drum, too, if that fits your concept. Maybe he plays Chiss drums or something.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Final Steps

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am

The character-creation process is nearing its end! There are just a few more things to sort before we can begin.

1. The band's name. There are some good brainstorms up above. If it's too hard to come to a general consensus, maybe everyone can propose a few and I can roll randomly for the official name.

2. The five "employees" or droids who help out at the studio. @ThreeBFour mentioned a power droid/astromech combo, which is a good idea. Could the other four players each propose an NPC who might be good to have around? Some possibilities might be someone to watch the studio while you're away at gigs, a legal analyst who helps you stave off Redbeam, a stagecraft person, a stylist or costumier. Any or all of these can be droids. Those that aren't droids should be associated with your characters in some way (hangers-on, relatives, etc.) to explain why they're sticking with you in these tough times.

3. Performance skills. I'd appreciate it if each player could indicate somewhere on their character sheet which skill is their primary performance skill. Remember that this can be something unusual; I just need to know what you're planning to use.

I need to hammer out a bit more about how performances will work, but I have some ideas. The rules may shift after some playtesting, so please bear with me as we chart new waters. If all goes well, we should be gaming in a few days!

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 am

I was thinking that instead of a power droid/astromech combo, maybe a power droid/security droid combo

As for a band name I have also been thinking that because we are on Nubia and it started there we might consider a name having to do with Nubia. Maybe The Ragin' Rontos?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 am
I was thinking that instead of a power droid/astromech combo, maybe a power droid/security droid combo

As for a band name I have also been thinking that because we are on Nubia and it started there we might consider a name having to do with Nubia. Maybe The Ragin' Rontos?
Ooh, like that name. Ties in with Redbands name very well too.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
You can always have any one of your random five hangers-on guard the shop for you while you're away. But if you want a dedicated security droid, I think that needs to be its own entity, since such NPCs are fairly capable. Besides, I've already found a really cool image to use for an astromech/power droid. :) Such a unit would be able to provide power for random gigs (and busking if you decided to do it) and to help with things like computer-controlled lighting, smoke effects, and so on.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:48 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 am
ThreeBFour wrote:
You can always have any one of your random five hangers-on guard the shop for you while you're away. But if you want a dedicated security droid, I think that needs to be its own entity, since such NPCs are fairly capable. Besides, I've already found a really cool image to use for an astromech/power droid. :) Such a unit would be able to provide power for random gigs (and busking if you decided to do it) and to help with things like computer-controlled lighting, smoke effects, and so on.
That's cool.

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Does a Computers + Mechanics oriented droid could be used for light and audio engineer during performance/rehersals/recordings ? Or would it overlap too much with the power droid/astromech ?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 pm

LaGouache wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:18 pm
Does a Computers + Mechanics oriented droid could be used for light and audio engineer during performance/rehersals/recordings ? Or would it overlap too much with the power droid/astromech ?
My thoughts are that a power droid alone wouldn't be too useful; you all could just buy one. But if the droid is to be a permanent "employee" per the business rules, the character should be more competent somehow. That's where the idea comes from that the droid might also be good with computers and lighting and perhaps audio engineering. So, yeah, I'd see that as part of the same character's job description.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 am

So, if I’m thinking right some of the roles we’d probably want for NPCs would be:
-Technical, helping with stage and in the mixing booth.
-Security, keeping the place safe when we’re not around.
-Costuming, stylist and makeup sort that help us look our best.
-Lawyer, we’re going right into the deep end on why we need one.
-PR, reception, and general media at large handler.

I’d throw accountant in there at some point but right now it’s a case of “Are we making money or not?” rather than if we are spending efficiently.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 am
So, if I’m thinking right some of the roles we’d probably want for NPCs would be:
-Technical, helping with stage and in the mixing booth.
-Security, keeping the place safe when we’re not around.
-Costuming, stylist and makeup sort that help us look our best.
-Lawyer, we’re going right into the deep end on why we need one.
-PR, reception, and general media at large handler.

I’d throw accountant in there at some point but right now it’s a case of “Are we making money or not?” rather than if we are spending efficiently.
That's a good list. Here we'll be adhering to the letter of the rules if not the spirit of them. In Far Horizons, it's assumed you have employees, but that doesn't narratively fit with the feel of down-and-out musicians. For that reason, at least a couple of these can be droids, while the rest can be various hangers-on, like kid brothers, smitten fans, out-of-work uncles, wannabe musicians, interns who got left behind when Redbeam left, etc.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:41 am

That was what I was thinking. No professionals, or at least not skilled professionals. Like the lawyer being someone fresh out of law school and looking for experience. The stylist is just someone with a lot of enthusiasm but not formal training and their own twist on things.

I suddenly want the security to actually be a chatty old B-1 droid.

Return to “Discussion”