General Discussion

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Use LS * Use DS * Update
Vergence
Scoundrel

Re: Character Generation Guidelines

Post by Vergence » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 pm

@Boutrose Saba-Norr & @DeepSpacer , is there an already mentioned planet you would like to vote for or have any to suggest yourself?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Vergence wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 pm
Boutrose Saba-Norr & DeepSpacer, is there an already mentioned planet you would like to vote for or have any to suggest yourself?
I have no strong preference. My SW knowledge base is limited to the movies and maybe a video game or two. Starting at a place NOT from basic SW isn't going to endear me to it, but rather make me feel unattached while others thinks it's a cool place. So be it. Sure, I always like to look it up on Wookieepedia, but there's no sentimental attachment for me.

I think the larger issue is that since we are not some sort of "war of the bands" group, that it might be better to start somewhere with some subterfuge already going on that we can get mixed up with. There was a near-Hutt mention that seemed intriguing. My slight preference is something connected to something from the movies. Near Hutt Space does that for me since that's where we saw a band playing in RotJ. It is a slight preference. I could make do with somewhere else just as easily.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 am

Funny enough, your post indirectly inspired some fun roleplay for my promoter. I was considering movie planets when I thought of Alderaan. "You hadn't heard of them!? Band XYZ's performances were legendary on Alderaan!" :lol: Or "Whatever happened to your lead singer? Dude, you didn't hear? She was on Alderaan...." :oops:

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 am

@DeepSpacer, what about Nubia? Gets a big shout out in Episode I, even if we don't actually see it. It's a high Core World, so a jazz or classical music vibe certainly fits. Lots of chances to get mixed up in both low- and high-brow hijinx, as well as some classic corporate stuff (Nubian Engineering and Industrial Automaton have their HQs there), and Imperial–Rebel shenanigans.

I have a sentimental attachment to Talus and Tralus since I read the Corellian Trilogy so long ago. It's essentially Corellia, but under an independent government. But other than that, they're basically EU planets.

Vagran leaves me a bit cold simply because it's a random world FFG made up.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am

SavageBob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 am
@DeepSpacer, what about Nubia? Gets a big shout out in Episode I, even if we don't actually see it. It's a high Core World, so a jazz or classical music vibe certainly fits. Lots of chances to get mixed up in both low- and high-brow hijinx, as well as some classic corporate stuff (Nubian Engineering and Industrial Automaton have their HQs there), and Imperial–Rebel shenanigans.
Seems fine enough. A little Core World coming into play.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am

Just posted a draft bio of Zannel Redbeam, your departed lead singer. I'll probably give it another pass to specifically tie in elements of your backgrounds once I've had a chance to review characters. Let me know if anything in his story should be changed and why. Your group Obligation is the threat that Zan is going to send debt collectors, lawyers, bounty hunters, or worse after you over his legal rights to your band name, music, and basic equipment. :twisted:

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:49 am

Did anyone ever look up The Piano Guys or 2 Cellos? Just interesting possibilities that are possible with regular instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GLE-16_3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yymm3DtVA

And the required SW music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 am

Gotta say I'm looking forward to reading through this game when it starts.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 am

kanila wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 am
Gotta say I'm looking forward to reading through this game when it starts.
I’m really liking these weird kind of hyper focused games @kanila first racing circuit now battle of the bands.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

Ok guys, having read our main npc and adversaries description, I have a few suggestions.

First I think our original band name should be somthing generic, to show that even though can depended on us he still didn’t think much about us in comparison to himself, maybe xan and the aliens?

I feel like, if we really want to play up that feuding band angle, we should name ourselves somthing intentionally mocking of that situation, like the defaults or the nonamers?

I really like the idea that we are being sued over our back catalog, although I don’t know how far xan would be able to get with empire copyright law but considering we are all non-humans in a xenophobic empire it could mean trouble for us.

I think this is a perfect opportunity for us to say that we are trying to come up with new music, our own music, and take the band in our own direction, one where we all trade off on vocals. Being experimental we don’t even have to have a single sound, we can have different ones depending on who is doing lead vocals and if we are harmonizing.

I would like it if all of this took place like right after xan left us and we are trying to figure out where to go from here, maybe our first session is a song writing quest?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:49 am
Did anyone ever look up The Piano Guys or 2 Cellos? Just interesting possibilities that are possible with regular instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GLE-16_3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yymm3DtVA

And the required SW music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o
Those are great. I especially like the second one, where they switch from classical to rock using the same instruments. I imagine this is in the same spirit as what your band has been doing, pushing the limits of your home genre, creating a unique sound that is now being fought over with your departed lead.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am
Ok guys, having read our main npc and adversaries description, I have a few suggestions.

First I think our original band name should be somthing generic, to show that even though can depended on us he still didn’t think much about us in comparison to himself, maybe xan and the aliens?

I feel like, if we really want to play up that feuding band angle, we should name ourselves somthing intentionally mocking of that situation, like the defaults or the nonamers?
Ideally, you'll still be using whatever name it was before Zan left (to give us more grist for the Obligation: Nemesis mill). And it's hard to convey in a few paragraphs, but I intended this to be a truly acrimonious departure, one that could only have happened because you all were once very close to Zan. In other words, Zan was close to at least a few of you at one point, but you drifted apart over time, leading to the blowup.
I really like the idea that we are being sued over our back catalog, although I don’t know how far xan would be able to get with empire copyright law but considering we are all non-humans in a xenophobic empire it could mean trouble for us.

I think this is a perfect opportunity for us to say that we are trying to come up with new music, our own music, and take the band in our own direction, one where we all trade off on vocals. Being experimental we don’t even have to have a single sound, we can have different ones depending on who is doing lead vocals and if we are harmonizing.

I would like it if all of this took place like right after xan left us and we are trying to figure out where to go from here, maybe our first session is a song writing quest?
All those ideas sound good to me. Feel free to continue brainstorming musical style, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the sound of the band at this point, no more than you would the fighting style of a band of mercenaries, say. We can always iron out such details during play.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

SavageBob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am

Ideally, you'll still be using whatever name it was before Zan left (to give us more grist for the Obligation: Nemesis mill). And it's hard to convey in a few paragraphs, but I intended this to be a truly acrimonious departure, one that could only have happened because you all were once very close to Zan. In other words, Zan was close to at least a few of you at one point, but you drifted apart over time, leading to the blowup.

All those ideas sound good to me. Feel free to continue brainstorming musical style, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the sound of the band at this point, no more than you would the fighting style of a band of mercenaries, say. We can always iron out such details during play.
That’s cool, I actually really like the idea of having guy still be close to xan, I was even going to put it in his backstory that he listesns to his new releases but doesn’t tell anyone.

Have you read the backstory I currently have for guy and how he joined the band? I think I can really build on this to include a lot of late night talks about what they feel genuine music is that they would have bonded over, but when they ultimately disagreed guy might feel responsible for driving him away.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am
That’s cool, I actually really like the idea of having guy still be close to xan, I was even going to put it in his backstory that he listesns to his new releases but doesn’t tell anyone.

Have you read the backstory I currently have for guy and how he joined the band? I think I can really build on this to include a lot of late night talks about what they feel genuine music is that they would have bonded over, but when they ultimately disagreed guy might feel responsible for driving him away.
I need to read through all the characters carefully; that's my task for today and tomorrow. I'll definitely weave some specifics in from your PCs to tie everything together better. I like the idea of Guy and Zan having lots of late-night talks over Corellian brandy. They'd have a connection based on Zan's dad being an Imperial soldier, assuming Guy would admit his military past.

Here's the revised paragraph about the breakup. I wanted to indicate that it happened over time, with everyone starting out on the same page and drifting over time (how most bands break up, I think): But the band started to feud over the direction of their sound. Redbeam wanted more glitz, more glimmik, but other members wanted to [??? -- whatever your sound is]. Things got colder and uglier: on-stage posturing and behind-the-scenes machinations showed just how much Zan was drifting away musically and emotionally. Then Burnt Quasar Slugs came calling. The recording label wanted Zannel Redbeam to work with them—but they wanted him as a solo artist. It didn't take long for the Corellian to make up his mind. Zan finally came to blows with another bandmember—on-stage and holovized around the sector; that night, Zannel Redbeam left to pursue a solo career.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:36 am

Yea I few like he would definitely tell him about being in the military, and considering how widely you want guys disgrace to be known he would even be likely to know why guy isn’t in the military any longer. It could be a good way to communicate to Zan that guys heart and soul lives only for the music and it is more important to him than anything.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Zannel = ex-boyfriend of Jessa Biela. He left for money, fame, and higher status. Dumped the GF and group at the same time, although neither relationship was going well at the time.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:52 pm
Zannel = ex-boyfriend of Jessa Biela. He left for money, fame, and higher status. Dumped the GF and group at the same time, although neither relationship was going well at the time.
Perfect.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:46 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:52 pm
I know I named guy as kind of a joke but I think we are actually resembling the wonders from that thing you do now.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Has anyone put any thought into who you want for your npc employees?

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm
That's a good discussion to have, too. The starting resource will be a studio and practice space on Nubia (or another planet if folks have strong preferences). It'll come with some basic recording and playing equipment, probably not much more than some computers with music-editing software on them, some mics, living space for all of you, and a dedicated comm for communications with the outside. Other stuff TBD; I'll make a post specifically describing the space and the amenities it has.

That leaves these questions:

1) What is your band name? (What is the ____ that used to go after "Zannel Redbeam and the ____?")
2) What is your style of music called (whether it's an established genre or a new one)?
3) Who are your employees, droids, and other hangers-on? Yet get one per PC (so five), and the assumption is that you are bringing in at least enough money to pay them a reasonable salary (or keep them maintained for droids). We can assume this cashflow is coming from your royalties on your back catalog with Zan. It may be enough for all of you to agree on general duties: "We need a receptionist, a roadie, a driver, a ___, and a ___." I can then whip up some NPCs for those roles. But feel free to propose something more specific, like "Our driver is my cousin" or "Our janitor is a music student who works for free in exchange for lessons."

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Usefull roles can be sound and light engineers. If we are expecting troubles we could use a "body guard" to show muscle to spice-high audiences.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey, everyone: Please note that I've decided on the basic equipment included with the music studio as your starting business. You each get an earbud comlink and a basic-quality musical instrument as part of the business Obligation costs, so there's no need to buy those things with starting credits. If you want to start with a higher-quality musical instrument, note that I've lowered the cost to 1,000 credits. You don't get a discount, as you'll still have a basic-quality backup instrument as part of the business.

Now back to character reviews and choosing NPCs and droids for the studio!

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:54 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 pm
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm
That's a good discussion to have, too. The starting resource will be a studio and practice space on Nubia (or another planet if folks have strong preferences). It'll come with some basic recording and playing equipment, probably not much more than some computers with music-editing software on them, some mics, living space for all of you, and a dedicated comm for communications with the outside. Other stuff TBD; I'll make a post specifically describing the space and the amenities it has.

That leaves these questions:

1) What is your band name? (What is the ____ that used to go after "Zannel Redbeam and the ____?")
2) What is your style of music called (whether it's an established genre or a new one)?
3) Who are your employees, droids, and other hangers-on? Yet get one per PC (so five), and the assumption is that you are bringing in at least enough money to pay them a reasonable salary (or keep them maintained for droids). We can assume this cashflow is coming from your royalties on your back catalog with Zan. It may be enough for all of you to agree on general duties: "We need a receptionist, a roadie, a driver, a ___, and a ___." I can then whip up some NPCs for those roles. But feel free to propose something more specific, like "Our driver is my cousin" or "Our janitor is a music student who works for free in exchange for lessons."
Not bad, but keep in mind that we are low-level and not even a named band. I feel that the idea of us having "employees" is rather upper-scale. Receptionist??? I doubt we pay anyone anything at the moment. The alternative is owing debt to employees who have not been paid and are sticking with the group through this turmoil for the promise of receiving back-pay. Pulling the 'cousin' card or student intern working for lessons, I think, is the way to go. I think I can put together the roadie-groupie. A talentless hanger-on who lives out his dream of stardom by driving us around from time to time.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:54 pm
Not bad, but keep in mind that we are low-level and not even a named band. I feel that the idea of us having "employees" is rather upper-scale. Receptionist??? I doubt we pay anyone anything at the moment. The alternative is owing debt to employees who have not been paid and are sticking with the group through this turmoil for the promise of receiving back-pay. Pulling the 'cousin' card or student intern working for lessons, I think, is the way to go. I think I can put together the roadie-groupie. A talentless hanger-on who lives out his dream of stardom by driving us around from time to time.
Yeah, I get that sentiment. The basic business asset lets you have these "employees," but how we explain them being around narratively is up to y'all. If it's not a salary, there needs to be something tying them to the band and keeping them around. I like the idea of some of them perhaps being employees who are perhaps not being paid; if Obligation triggers, they start to get angry about it. Droids are easier to explain. The others can be in the relative/poor music student/fan/etc. category.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 am

I've been thinking droid the entire time...lol
Maybe a Power Droid , able to run the band's instruments on the road?

Return to “Discussion”