Reverb in Blue (IC)

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Reverb in Blue (IC)

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:26 am

Habeth Farjam
Image The Balosar's eyes widen at Geise's assertiveness. She quickly catches herself, goes back to her studied smile. A lithe hand extends, palm up, reaches out to the blue-skinned drummer, index finger like a beckoning serpent.

"I appreciate your candor, Mr. Geise! I will cut to the chase, as you put it: I'd love to sign you to Farjam Records.… Problem is, I can't."

Farjam sighs. Her hand falls to the desk.

"Like I said, you're too toxic with all the legal troubles with Zannel. It's a shame really. Such talent going to waste. I can't take you on right now. Not in any official capacity. But I can get you a shot at a good-paying gig at this Flutterplume Club. Problem is I don't really know much at all about what the Flutterplume Club is."
Voog Sterk
Image "We've only heard rumors. We're not sure the place even exists."

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:46 am

Meshel Kevon
Image Meshel perks up hearing about the place.

Hey I’ve heard of the place. Suppose to be a really good place to be on stage.”He frowns as he tries to remember more,“Though, word on the street is you ain’t working there, if you’re ‘Offworld’ you should steer a wide course around the place.

You can hear the quotes around Offworld in his speech even without him doing anything for emphasis.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 am

Habeth Farjam
Image [Farjam looks up at her Dowutin bodyguard. The two lock eyes.]

"We ought to show them."

[She turns to the band.]

"I was sent this message two days ago. Maybe you can help me make sense of it."
Voog Sterk
Image "Right."

[The hulking being pulls a small holo-projector from a pocket and sets in on his palm. He presses the center button.]
Hologram
Image [A small hologram shimmers into being. The person imaged is Human, male, but the holo is only a few centimeters tall. He's well-dressed, his coiffure stylish. But there's something weird about his eyes. They just stare, never blinking. He speaks.]

"Greetings, Habeth. I hope you are well. I know it must be hard for you now, hard on business, now that the Empire is here. It is far from fair. But it is the Nubia we must all live on now."

[His voice is steady and clipped, just this side of monotone.]

"I hope you will be happy to hear that a new venture called the Flutterplume Club will open in three days' time. I shall not say more about it via this medium. But I will say that I have need of entertainers. To that end, I am extending an invitation to you to send me the best alien musicians you can find. You may send me one ensemble. The best you can find. I will give them a fair hearing. If I am pleased, they will secure a multi-night contract with the Flutterplume Club. You will receive a handsome finder's fee."

[The hologram sputters, almost extinguishes. But then the creepy guy comes back.]

"Habeth—I am sorry. About Redbeam. About my role in everything. I know that you understand that it was simply business. But it should not impede our future dealings. We have much to look forward to. Engy out."

[The hologram blinks out.]
Habeth Farjam
Image "That was Engothian Gozer. If you want answers about why Zannel quit the Blueshift Echoes, he's the man to ask. And if the Flutterplume Club is some sort of new entertainment venue, this is your opportunity to ask him."

[She furrows her brow.]

"I can send you to audition for him. It sounds like you'll need my blessing. But I need you to do something for me while you're there…"

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Meshel Kevon
Image [sizee=115][/size]Meshel shakes his head as he crosses his arms after the hologram ends. He really shouldn’t be suprised that bookie has a hand in the Flutterplume club. What he’s got to do with Zannel though...

”Right. Figures. Gotta scratch your back if you ain’t havin’ more of a slice of this than give’n a recommendation.”

He’s still looking at where the hologram was, trying to figure out why he’s got a bad feeling about this.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm
Geise
Image Geise held his chin as if he were in thought, ”hmm, that’s a big fish you got there. so if I’m reading this situation correctly, due to the legal hang ups that Zan is causing for us, you’d have trouble representing us publicly and getting us legitimate business, but due to the underground nature of this club and the power that gozer comands, this wouldn’t be as much of an issue, right?”

Geise closed his eyes and remained silent for a moment, zan, do you even know the pain you are causing to your friends, to your family?
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image "Neither of you is wrong. You need a place for some steady gigs, and this club may be that place. I want to sign you to my label, but I'm not willing to do that until your legal troubles with Zannel settle down. Get in with 'Engy,' and maybe we weather the storm together."

[Farjam sips her brandy. She seems lost in thought for a moment.]
Voog Sterk
Image [Sterk glances down at Habeth, waits to catch her eye.]

"You have to tell them, Habeth. They can't help us if they don't know."
Habeth Farjam
Image [She looks up at you. Sighs.]

"There's more to the story than legal wrangling and prodigal sons of droid magnates. I'm not sure what Gozer knows about Zannel. He may know that I've been interested in your band for some time. I have no idea. I have even less idea about what all this apologizing's about."

Spoiler:
Habeth Farjam; Hyperlight Echoes; Deception check:
1 Failure, 4 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Opposing Jessa and Geise's Vigilance, setback for both characters being trained in the skill, boost because she's shown you so much hospitality. 4 Advantages: You get the impression that her reticence is not out of malice; you even detect a hint of loss in her voice, as if she really does have your best interests at heart and understands the Redbeam situation to be quite hard on you.

[You get the impression she's not telling the whole truth. She takes a deep breath.]

"But he and I are business rivals. He needs live entertainers, I need recorded ones. He's tried to steal acts away from me before. So… I sent him a little gift. Voog, you explain it. You know this technical stuff better than I do."
Voog Sterk
Image "Ms. Farjam sent him a CZ-series business and communication droid, model number CZ-TD9. We programmed the unit to send back periodic reports on Gozer's music-business dealings. This… custom programming was hidden behind firewalls that should have prevented it from being erased with routine memory wipes."
Habeth Farjam
Image "But the last time the droid transmitted was a day or so before Zannel up and left Nubia. We haven't heard from it since. If I get you in the door at the Flutterplume, I want you to find out what happened. Recover the droid if possible, or get a copy of its memory."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Geise
Image Geise sensed her deception but decided not to press the issue as it did not seem to be of a malicious nature. Everyone has a right to thier secrets after all.

Then the other shoe dropped, "So it's not just wanting us to play a gig, you also want us to be an infiltration force as well eh? That makes things a bit more complicated Ms. Farjam. As I'm sure you know, our band is a bit more than just a group of people who play together, we're a bit like a family, we got kids we look after, one of them is my daughter, and what you are asking could potentially put us in hot water with a member of one of the more powerful families on the planet, not to mention his government connections," The Chiss flashed a smile at Farjam, "and on top of that, if we get caught we will be out of the job as well and I can't feed my family on promises." Geise chuckled softly at what he thought was a humorous observation.

"So, given the situation, how about we negotiate a bit, in case the worst happens?"
[/quote]

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 am

Habeth Farjam
Image [She smiles with her eyes, even if her mouth stays firm.]

"Believe me, Mr. Geise. I get it. I understand the complicated nature of the gig. You will be compensated if you get the data."
Voog Sterk
Image [The looming hulk doesn't miss a beat.]

"Ms. Farjam owes you 500 for your performance here today. She will pay you 5,000 more if you recover the droid or its memory. Anything you make for performing for Mr. Gozer is yours to keep."
Habeth Farjam
Image "But if you're uncomfortable with the little… side job, I'm happy to recommend you to the gig all the same."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Geise
Image "Hmm, interesting, Give us a moment while we talk it over."

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 am
Targus Jhonez
Image As the group heads towards the other side of the room to discuss their options, Targus pauses and turns to face Farjam, "You may not see me a droid tech, but I am probably your best hope of getting the information you need from your droid." He says, turning back to join the group.
Last edited by ThreeBFour on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image "Oh, I'm aware, Mr. Jhonez. I'm eager to hear what the Blueshift Echoes think about my offer."

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Voron Forr
You do understand that we are taking a lot of risks here. We are musicians, not spies. We could get in lot of troubles ... the end of our musical career and opportunities in the largest part of the galaxy being the least of it. We could surely discuss of a risk insurance, don't you agree ?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 am

Meshel Kevon
Image Suppressing a groan Meshel can only hope the others know what they are doing. It’s only a risk it seems to him if they go after the droid. Farjam already said they could skip it and go with just the gig if that was too hot. Deciding getting older makes reprioritize things he just mentally shrugs and hopes they still get the gig.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image [As the group comes back from its huddle, Farjam squints at Voron's insinuation. A beat passes, and she stands up, then places her hands on her desk, leaning forward.]

"The fee I am offering is quite reasonable already. I fully recognize the risks involved. But I wouldn't have come to you if I didn't think you were up to it."

[She turns slightly, shoulder toward the wall-sized window.]

"If all you want is a good word with Gozer, I'll give it. I'll pay you for your performance here, send word that you'll be coming to audition. But then our business together concludes. Forever."

[She looks down. Then her eyes meet yours, fierce.]

"If you go this route, our conversation today never happened. If I get word that people are talking about me spying on Gozer, I'll deny it. And I'll know it was you who blabbed about it. You wouldn't want that. I may not be Human, but I have a lot of friends in the music business."

[She turns the rest of the way. Her dress flows down her back. Elegant.]

"I'd rather be your advocate, though. I owe Zannel that much at least. And I'd think you'd be just as curious as I am about what Gozer is up to and what he knows about Zannel's disappearance. An extra 5,000 credits seems like a nice bonus, if you ask me."

[She turns back toward you slightly. Daylight outside casts her sharp features into a near silhouette.]

"But I do want you to succeed. If you agree to my terms, I can see to it that you get a bit extra for this little concert you gave me. Say, 800 credits instead of 500? Might be useful to, I don't know, buy new costumes, makeup, whatever you need for the task at hand."

Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage for a 60% bump in the fee for your performance unless someone proposes something else.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:00 am

Geise
Image Geise raises an eyebrow at her sudden increase in aggression and her constant mentioning of Zannel.Could this have something to do with the secrets you are keeping from us Farjam? He thought to himself.

But then he just nodded, "I think I speak for all of us when I say that we want to establish a working relationship with you Farjam, and that we are willing to do what needs to be done to accomplish that, but I think we do want to make sure that the risks we are taken are recognized... and taken into consideration later on."

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image [The Balosar straightens back up, relaxes. She's back to her old, chummy self.]

"Of course, Mr. Geise! I realize this is not a routine performance by any means. But times are tough all around for folks like us. My hunch is that my droid's disappearance is tied somehow with Zannel leaving Nubia. Find one and you find the other."

[She sits back down, leans back in her chair.]

"Voog will see to it that the money I owe you is added to your credit account. I assume it's the same as when Zannel was with you. As for finding the Flutterplume Club, Gozer did send a set of coordinates. Perhaps armed with those and a letter of introduction from me, you can locate the place. He said my chosen band should be there tomorrow around this time. If there's nothing else to discuss…"

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Meshel Kevon
Image ”Well it would be good ta know wha’ sorta stuff Gozer likes. Can’t get the gig if we can’t impress ‘im you know?”Meshel pipes up. Having said that much he steels himself to ask another question that’s been eating at him.

”I gotta ask though, something Gozer said in tha’ message. Ma’am, he seemed to think you knew what he did with Mr. Redband, but maybe not the why.”he keeps a steady gaze on Farjam hoping for some detail.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image [Her eyes widen.]

"Oh, did Zannel never tell you? The infighting in your band must have been going on longer than I realized."

[She shrugs.]

"The truth of the matter is I've been trying to sign you for quite some time now. I was in talks with Zannel about the whole thing when all these laws and ordinances started getting passed. Gozer's opposed all this nonsense on the city council, but as I said, he's a business rival. Last I heard, Zannel told me he had a meeting with the councilman. Said it was for some charity event Gozer wanted to do. But that's the last time I heard from your former lead singer."

[The Balosar looks upset. She looks away and stares at a wall.]
Voog Sterk
Image "Engothian Gozer's been a patron of non-Human musicians for some time. He's brought big names to Nubia before: The Modal Nodes, Evar Orbus, Galthide Harbinge. Our best guess is that he'll be looking for a band to play jatz, jizz, and the like. But your band's blueshift style might help you stand out from the other acts out there struggling in the new climate."

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Targus Jhonez
Image "Blueshift is what we prefer, but we can do others if required. Although I did wonder where Zannel went in those last couple weeks before he left, he always seemed to have somewhere else to be." Targus says contemplatively as he remembers what happened. You've obviously been following us for a while, if you know all this about things, some of which we had no idea about."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:43 am

Habeth Farjam
Image "I'm sorry if some of this is coming as news to you. I always assumed Zannel had your blessing when we spoke. As for what Engothian's looking for, I can't really say. He does love jizz music, though. Nearly convinced Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes to be the house band for his old club before it went under."
Voog Sterk
Image "To be fair, though, blueshift music hadn't been invented yet. Or at least it wasn't widely known."
Habeth Farjam
Image [Farjam nods and shrugs.]

"True."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 am

Habeth Farjam
Image "Well then. Here is my letter of introduction, and here are the coordinates Gozer gave me."

[Farjam fiddles with a datapad, and hands it over to you. She then holds her decanter up as if giving a toast.]

"Good luck to you! Voog will see to it that you get home. Here's to the Blueshift Echoes—and maybe a record deal in our near future?"

[She takes a drink with any band members who have drinks left.]
Voog Sterk
Image "This way, please."

[You follow the Dowutin out. On the roof is an old-model stretch airspeeder. Still a lot fancier than anything you've been in lately. Voog helps you load the equipment and then takes you back to the studio. It only takes a few minutes; rush-hour traffic has mostly died down.]

"Here's my comm frequency. Let us know when you find the CZ unit droid. And be careful."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:16 am

The studio/apartment is a flurry of activity as the band prepares to answer Engothian Gozer's invitation the next day. Meshel and Geise hit the streets near the studio to see if anyone's heard of the Flutterplume Club—especially why non-Humans might be wary of patronizing the place. Asking buskers, street performers, and off-work musicians proves fruitless, though; no one's even heard of the place. After several hours, the two nearly give up but decide to check a second-hand slug store run by a crusty old Duros.

Klochu Bremin
Image "Hey! The Blueshift Echoes! In my place! It's not right what Zannel did to you. You're too good for that sorta treatment."

[The Duros stubs out his cigarra. The butt gives off a faint wisp of smoke.]

"So I've never heard of this Flutterplume Club. Sounds like a speakeasy to me. I'll keep my earholes open, though."

[He smiles as best a Duros can.]

"But, hey: You're welcome in my place anytime. Usually I'm pretty good with the underground music scene. Just not with this. But, I mean, Geise and Meshel Kevon! In my store! I'm happy to help out if you need some advice down the line."

Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage: new permanent contact. Klochu has an Intellect of 2 and a Knowledge (Underworld) skill of 3.

Meanwhile, Voron and Targus go shopping for suitable stage costumes for Targus, Geise, and Meshel. You gotta look the part, they reason. Voron has a feeling that there might be some discounted clothing for sale at a nearby shopping center, and Targus searches sale announcements on a datapad as they make their way there.
Spoiler:
2 Successes, 4 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Their efforts pay off: The two band members find a going-out-of-business sale with suitable stage attire on sale for 14% off regular price. They pay 129 credits, and with three new sets of stage clothing in hand, head back to the studio.

Kri seems eager to ask around about the Flutterplume Club closer to the rendezvous point. She convinces Jessa to go with her, and the Twi'lek relents, disguising herself as a green-skinned member of her species to avoid detection. The two take the monorail and walk the rest of the way to the checkpoint: a nondescript laundromat? They ask around, but none of the riffraff in the area has any idea what they're talking about when they ask about a Flutterplume Club. The women return to the studio no wiser than before, but at least Kri was able to slip the turnstiles of the monorail and avoid paying the ten-credit round-trip fare...
Spoiler:

Finally, CV-1AT and BD-BD travel to City Hall to investigate Engothian Gozer's political record. With no organics along, the droids are able to take the cramped droid cargo car on the monorail, a car with no fare. At City Hall, CV-1AT finds the necessary database, and BD-BD jacks in. Finding Gozer's political record is easy enough, and BD-BD downloads the relevant data.
Spoiler:
The droids have some time remaining, so they next check on Gozer's property deals.
Spoiler:
Back at the studio, CV-1AT reports what the droids found.

CV-1AT
Image "Masters, I'm afraid we have failed you! We were unable to find anything about a Flutterplume Club in the city records concerning Engotian Gozer."
BD-BD
Image Bleet blizzzt!
CV-1AT
Image "Well, of course we found some information. It's all public record."
BD-BD
Image Blrrrrt.
CV-1AT
Image "I was just getting to that, Beady! But I'm afraid it will be of no use to our masters to know that Gozer has been on the City Council for fifteen local months. And I hardly see how it will help them to know how he has voted to raise taxes on Industrial Automaton, or to oppose the city-wide ban on allowing non-Human musicians to perform in public. And why should we even tell them that he voted to approve a measure to extend an official welcome to the incoming Imperial governor, Predicant Snood?"
BD-BD
Image Voorrrt. Brrrrtzt!
CV-1AT
Image "I suppose that may be helpful to know. Engothian Gozer owns at least a few properties around the city. His Studio Plasmaflare closed recently due to the anti-alien entertainment legislation passing in the City Council. The building is now unused. But interestingly, Gozer recently purchased a laundromat in the outskirts of the industrial district, not far from a monorail stop that leads directly into the central business district."

[The droid bows his head and slumps.]

"But I hardly see how that's relevant. Please don't melt me down! Please don't let Master Targus use me for parts!"

With time running out, the band prepares for their rendezvous the next day….

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Targus Jhonez
Image Targus shakes his head, always finding the different personalities of droids humorous. "Thanks Beady and CV, you guys did a great job. Some extra info would have been great, but I think you are safe from the parts cabinet CV. For now " He ends with a wink to his fellow musicians in the room.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Meshel Kevon
Image ”Aw, don’ be teasin’ CeeVee like that. He takes everythin’ to seriously o’late.”Meshel says as he lounges again a wall.

”Seein’ as we didn’ find much about the Flutterplume or Mr. Gozer either they done good. Mind we did find someone willin’ to keep us in the loop on wha’ they hear in the streets.”

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 am

Kri
Image "The bit about the laundromat checks out. I thought it was a bit weird that's what the coordinates led to. The place must be nearby? And not sure how we're gonna get the band and all the equipment there without a speeder-truck..."

Return to “The Story”