Reverb in Blue (IC)

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Reverb in Blue (IC)

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Spoiler:
Follow this link and click "PLAY" at the bottom of the page.
OPENING CRAWL
Spoiler:
In case that site purges the data, here is the text of the opening crawl:

Hyperlight Echoes

REVERB IN BLUE

The BLUESHIFT ECHOES are alone. Their lead singer, Zannel Redbeam, has gone solo, leaving his former bandmates to navigate a galaxy increasingly hostile to non-Human musicians.

As the band struggles to stay together, underworld figures and corporate executives on the planet NUBIA search for talent to entertain guests and sell slugs. The Blueshift Echoes must prove themselves worthy… without their lead singer.

Now, music executive HABETH FARJAM has asked the band for a private performance. With pull in Nubia's music scene, Farjam's interest may be the big break the band needs. But with strong ties to the underworld, her influence may not be what the band has bargained for....

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Reverb in Blue (IC)

Post by SavageBob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 am

The office is nicely appointed, if a bit messy. Not quite a penthouse, the transparisteel windows still give a nice view of Nuba City's business district. The five of you huddle together on the carpeted floor, instruments and mics in hand.

The woman sitting on the divan is tall and thin, her frame visible through her slinky dress. She'd be beautiful if it weren't for her sunken features and pallid complexion. Lilac hair and short antennae atop her head tell you she's not Human. You know her as Habeth Farjam, the Balosar CEO of Farjam Records. Why she's summoned you all here to her office is still a mystery, but you suspect it has something to do with Zannel Redbeam's recent departure and the hard times that have hit your band, the Blueshift Echoes. If Habeth Farjam calls you to her office, you'd better go. The woman knows people on Nubia, even if all of them aren't of the savory, law-abiding type.

Behind her stands an enormous non-Human with muscles upon muscles. The alien says nothing and stares at you as if to say, "Try something. I dare you."
Image The woman waves a hand at you.

"Go ahead. Impress me."
Spoiler:
You may each make a Performance check with no situational modifiers. (See House Rules for how to do this.) The order you go in is up to you. Uncanceled successes can target either Farjam or her bodyguard.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Image Settling into his position behind his drums, Gaise takes the initiative, "Thank you for having us, we are the Blueshift Echoes, and this is a little somthing I’ve been working on called ‘Journey into Hyperlight.’” Now adressing the rest of the crew, “lets hit it, guys."
Spoiler:

And with that he begins to play his drums letting the rythym of his beat guide the band.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm

The drums are a bit off. Nerves, maybe? Farjam purses her lips and leans back a bit in her seat.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 am
Meshel Kevon
Image Meshel tries not to wince seeing the reaction of thier small but significant audience. Stepping up he leads into the vocals, setting the melody with his voice. He’s not the smooth singer Redband is but there is something to it that demands attention.
Spoiler:

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 am

Targus Jhonez
Image Targus listens to the opening beats of the drums, Gaise must be a little nervous, his rhythm was a tad bit off. Already standing at Ruffus's valachord, Targus waits for the right beat and joins in.
Spoiler:
Targus; Hyperlite Echos; Performance Check - Education:
0 Success, 5 Advantages
0 Success(es) added from talents or equipment
0 Advantage(s) added From talents or equipment
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by ThreeBFour on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 am
Jessa Biela
Jessa watches patiently for a few seconds, gritting her teeth behind her purse lips as her bandmates get off on the wrong foot (literally). Nothing new there she thinks.

Here comes Jessa to save the day, as usual.

Even with Zannel, I was always saving his skin.

Eh…..nothing much has changed!

Time to show Farjam who the STAR of this show is!!!

Jessa wades into the middle of the floor, lightly strumming her harp.
Spoiler:
+3 Strain for Difficulty.
+1 Strain for Congenial Talent.
Jessa Biela; Echoes; Performance:
0 Success, 3 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Passing TWO Boosts to the Next PC

LaGouache
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by LaGouache » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 am

Voron Forr
What are they doing ? Voron thinks, seeing the band's difficult start.
Following the melody of Meshel, the only thing he could rely upon, he starts to sustain him with nuanced harmonies and plays rythm on an irregular bar to make the off tempo as an assumed choice.

Spoiler:
Voron Forr; Hyperlight Echoes; Performance Check:
3 Successes, 3 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Surprisingly, that doesn't sound that bad
Last edited by LaGouache on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 am

Habeth Farjam
Image The small amplifiers in Farjam's office ring for a moment as the music fades into silence. The Balosar furrows her brow and looks up at her bodyguard.

"What'd you think, Voog?"
Voog Sterk
Image The enormous being snorts and shrugs his massive shoulders.

"I don't know. Could've been better. The Klatooinian was pretty good."

His accent is surprisingly posh, very Core Worlder.
Habeth Farjam
Image Farjam nods, her tendrils of hair shuddering as she does so.

"He was. One of the highlights of the number. The valachord harmonized well, and the red ball organ nearly saved the whole thing from total failure. But the drums and the harp just didn't do it for me. Maybe the piece was too difficult without Zannel involved."

She leans back in her chair.

"But I want to give you another chance. Show me what you can do. For real this time."

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Targus Jhonez
Targus uses both the praise and criticism of their last song to start up another. Using the lower keys on the Valachord to begin with a bass rift.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Image Gaise felt a bit uneasy at having done poorly with the last song, but as soon as he saw heard Targus take the lead with a smooth rhythm he relaxed into place and began to play a cool beat to accompany and help the rest of the band along, "Yea, that's the stuff”
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Jessa Biela
Image As it turns out, it only took Jess Biela some time to warm up past the first set. She breaks out into a frenzy of fast-paced action, including a flurry of red streamers that she twirls in circles above her head.
Spoiler:
Jessa Biela; Echoes; Performance (+1 Boost for Attire, +4 passed):
5 Successes, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
3 Diff with x 3 multiplier = 15 Strain
Jessa suffer 4 additional strain.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Habeth Farjam
Image Farjam looks to her bodyguard, nods. She's clearly impressed by the Twi'lek's performance. She glances back at the band, waiting for them to finish out the number.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 am
Meshel Kevon
Image Meshel relaxes. Bit seeing the look exchanged between the two. He might have relaxed too much letting his tone slip in his singing.
Spoiler:
Meshel; Hyperspace Echoes ; Song 2:
1 Failure, 3 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImage Passing all my boosts on to our last player.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 am

Voron Forr
Voron finishes out the number with style.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 am

Habeth Farjam
Image The woman claps for the band. Her dainty applause is muffled by the slower, stronger claps of the hulk behind her.

"Nice work, gentles! I love a good Durosian time signature. Guess I've always had a soft spot for non-Human musicians in a tight spot."

She stands up straight, remembering herself.

"But I've said too much."

Spoiler:
Voron 3 advantage: Learn the targeted character's Strength or Flaw. Habeth Farjam's Flaw is Sympathy for Non-Humans.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 am

Habeth Farjam
Image Farjam springs up from the divan and strides across the office to her desk. She gestures toward the cushy furniture.

"Have a seat, gentles."
Voog Sterk
Image Farjam's massive companion comes around with a tray of glasses and a bottle of Corellian brandy.

"Forgive me. We've been without our protocol droid for a while now."

Concern drips from Voog's basso voice as he nearly knocks one of the shot glasses over.
Habeth Farjam
Image Farjam shoots daggers at him with her eyes, reprimanding.

"We'll get to that, Voog."

She turns back to you.

"But please have a drink. You're probably wondering why I asked you here. Don't worry; I'll pay you for the private performance."

Farjam leans across her desk, smiles.

"But, look… I know all about Zannel leaving. And not just because it's all over the holos. The Blueshift Echoes! Still alive and kicking after their lead singer drops them like a hot jorgan fruit! Yet here you are."

She pauses.

"A bit rusty, I'd say. Yet here you are. And maybe you could use more than just the credits for this private gig…."

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 am

Meshel Kevon
Image Meshel decides to be seen and not heard for now. He moves over to some of the equipment and starts making sure things are powered down and other minor prep work so when they are done here they just have to pack up and go.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:36 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Jessa Biela
Image "More than the credits? You have our attention. Go on...."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

Habeth Farjam
Image Farjam pauses as Voog finishes giving out drinks to those who want them and sets the tray down to return to her side.

"I'm sure you know that your band's breakup is no secret. Zannel's been public enough about that in the newsfeeds. So when my associate, Voog here, heard that the band was getting back together, I knew I had to see it with my own eyes. The Blueshift Echoes! Together again! And you're actually pretty good."

She shrugs her shoulders and leans back in her chair.

"But let's face it. Zannel didn't do you any favors when he left. Tell me, who's representing you? What kind of gigs are you getting?"

You wonder how much of this answer she already knows: When Zannel left, the band had no talent agent, and you sure don't have one now. And your gigs have been nearly non-existent. In fact, this private performance is the first time you've played semi-publicly in awhile.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Targus Jhonez
"Miss Farjam, you and your associate seem to already know a lot about us and what is going on." Targus says sniffing the drink handed to him by Voog. "I'm wondering just how much more you know and haven't let on yet? Zannel was like a brother to me, but you are right he didn't do us any favors. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if his new managers are going to give him a pure human back-up band, to play to the current powers that be. But then again I'm just a simple droid-tech."

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Jessa Biela
Image "Is that an offer, Miss Farjam?" says Jessa, as she turns her attention from Targus back to Farjam and squints her eyes. "I think Zannel's new manger's will find out soon enough that WE are the real talent behind The Blueshift Echoes, not Zannel!"

She says this knowing that Farjam likely already knows the answer to her questions (concurring with Targus), and Jessa is far too impatient to engage with the pleasantries. It also avoids her having to admit the humiliation of that breakup. Jessa is also quite independent and self-determined. She fears subservience and sometimes lets her ambition gt the better part of her (All 4: Desire, Fear, Strength, Flaw).

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 am
Meshel Kevon
Image Meshel gives a toothy grin hearing Jessa’s speech, “You tell’em Jes.”

Not saying anything else he goes back to coiling up a cable but he’s obviously listening.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 am

Habeth Farjam
Image The Balosar smiles and takes a long sip of her brandy.

"Look, I'm no dummy. Zannel is really good. The guy's got charisma. But—again—I'm no dummy. I know talent when I see it."

She looks at Targus.

"A 'simple droid-tech?' Hardly, Mr. Jhonez. You're the protege of Ruffus Jhonez, for Core's sake! No, I don't see a droid-tech, a couple of former slaves, a street kid, and a—"

She regards Ghaise.

"Well, Voog's good, but some people defy background checks. What I mean to say is that I agree with you, Jessa. The Blueshift Echoes have got it. The problem is… you're toxic. No one can represent you. Not yet."
Voog Sterk
Image "I found copies of the legal flimsies in City Hall. Representing you would carry with it certain… legal risks."
Habeth Farjam
Image Farmjam nods.

"But there may be a way around all that. As long as you'd be willing to go through another audition."

She leans in. Her antennae point at you.

"What do you know about the Flutterplume Club?"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Geise
Image Thinking over the name for a minute, Geise felt like it was just on the edge of his memory, but still, he couldn't recall anything about the place; but was that important?

A paying gig would mean food in our mouths, for us and the kids, and it would mean playing music again. It could give Rayzel something to think about and take her mind off Zan leaving us. I think this is the right choice.

Looking up at Farjam, Geise stands up from his drums and holds one arm in the air nonchalantly, while the other is folded in front of him tucked under the elbow of the first and he dons a practiced smile meant to convey that he feels his position is stronger and trying not to betray the fact that he had already decided to work with the talent scout. "I can't say the name rings a bell, but you present an interesting offer Farjam, and I have to be honest, these are trying times for non-human performers like ourselves to find work considering the rising imperial sentiment towards beings like us."

Geise adopts a more stern look and moves his arm down so that both are crossed in front of his chest, "That being the case, however, we do have the talent, as you said, and word on the street is that you need a band with our skills, so I think we can cut to the chase. You say you have more to offer us than just credits for this gig, but what guarantees can you give us?"

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “The Story”