Gear adjustment

Rule changes and additions for this game.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Gear adjustment

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:21 am

For the most part, gear works normally. However, musicians are defined by the instruments they play. For that reason, instruments can be modified much like weapons.

INSTRUMENTS

NAME PRICE ENCUM HP RARITY
Musical Instrument, Common 100 1–5 1 2
Musical Instrument, High-quality 1,000 1–5 3 4
Musical Instrument, Legendary 20,000 1–5 5 10

Common Musical Instrument

These are inexpensive examples of their kind, usually intended for amateurs and people just learning to play. These instruments count as the "right tools for the job" to allow the PC to perform music. PCs may buy a used, common musical instrument for 50 credits, but it begins play with minor damage (see EOTE p. 159), so using it grants one Setback die.

High-quality Musical Instrument

These are professional-grade gear, often from well-known manufacturers or handmade by expert crafters. These instruments add +1 Boost to all performance checks made with them. Due to their expense, PCs may seek out a used high-quality instrument for 800 credits. These have the same qualities, but they are considered to have minor damage (see EOTE p. 159), resulting in 1 Setback die on use.

Legendary Musical Instrument

As their name suggests, legendary instruments are one-of-a-kind—the handiwork of legendary instrument makers, or the well-tuned gear of galaxy-renowned performers. Legendary musical instruments upgrade all performance checks made with them, and they grant +1 boost to the check, as well.

Instrument Attachments
The following Attachments are available for musical instruments and have the indicated effects.

Balanced Tuning

Base Modifiers: Grants Image on performance checks with the instrument.

Modification Options: 1 Fine-Tuned Instrument Quality (grants +Image) Mod, 1 Decrease encumbrance of instrument by one to a minimum of one Mod.

HP Required: 2.

Price: 1,500 credits.
Bipod Mount

Base Modifiers: Decrease instrument's Cumbersome rating by 2 when seated, crouching, or prone (or can otherwise balance the bipod on something).

Modification Options: None.

HP Required: 1.

Price: 100 credits.
Custom Grip

Base Modifiers: Remove Image from all performance checks the instrument's owner makes using the instrument. Anyone other than the owner instead adds ImageImage to all performances checks made using it.

Modification Options: 1 Fine-Tuned Instrument Quality (grants +Image) Mod.

Price: 500 credits.
Enhanced Synchronization Module

Base Modifiers: Decrease the Image cost of Critical Jams using the instrument by 1 (to a minimum of 1). The GM may spend ImageImage from any performance check using the instrument to cause the instrument to explode, destroying it and inflicting an automatic Critical Injury on the wielder.

Modification Options: 1 Reduce cost of Critical Jams by 1 to a minimum of 1 Mod.

Environmental Adaptation Kit

Base Modifiers: Prevents the instrument from breaking down as a result of a specific type of environment.

Gene-Lock

Base Modifiers: The instrument functions only in the hands of its authorized owner.

Modification Options: 1 Self-destruct and inflict one Critical Injury on any unauthorized users Mod.

Price: 500 credits.
Gyrostabilizer

Base Modifiers: Decrease Cumbersome quality by 1.

Modification Options: 3 Decrease Cumbersome quality by 1 Mods.

Price: 750 credits.
Hidden Compartment

Base Modifiers: Adds a small hidden compartment to the instrument. Finding the compartment requires a thorough once-over and a Hard (ImageImageImage) Perception check.

Modification Options: 1 Upgrade difficulty of Perception check required to discover compartment once Mod.

HP Required: 0.

Price: 50 credits.
Integrated Amplifier

Base Modifiers: Increases the range at which the instrument can be heard without other forms of amplification (by default, allowing it to reach to medium range). Increases the instrument's encumbrance by +1 and adds the Cumbersome 2 quality.

Modification Options: 2 increase instrument's amplification range by an additional +1 Mods, 1, 2 Fine-Tuned Instrument Quality (grants +Image) Mods.

Price: 1,200 credits.
Integrated Spotlight

Base Modifiers: Removes up to ImageImage due to poor lighting on any checks to use this instrument.

Modification Options: 1 Increase visibility range to medium Mod, 2 Item Quality (Disorient +1) Mods.

Price: 200 credits.
Integrated Scanner

Base Modifiers: The instrument incorporates a general purpose scanner (see page 177 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook) that the wielder can use while the instrument is headed. The user adds automatic ImageImage to Initiative checks while the instrument is readied.

Modification Options: 2 Remove Image from Initiative checks Mods.

Price: 675 credits.
Lightweight Frame

Base Modifiers: Reduces an instrument's encumbrance by 1 to a minimum of 1.

Modification Options: 1 Reduce an instrument's encumbrance by 1 to a minimum of 1 Mod.

Price: 650 credits.
Magnetic Instrument Tether

Base Modifiers: During their turn, the wielder may recover the instrument as an incidental so long as they are engaged with it.

Modification Options: 1 Innate talent (Quickdraw) Mod.

Optimized Energy Cell

Base Modifiers: When the GM would spend Image or a number of Image to cause the instrument to short out, it requires an additional Image to have that effect apply to the instrument.

Overcharge Circuit

Base Modifiers: As an incidental, the wielder can have the instrument gain the Prepare 1 quality and increase its strain damage (before Image modifiers) by 4 for the next use. Afterward, the weapon's power cell runs out and must be replaced.

Overcharged Actuating Module

Base Modifiers: Increase the strain damage inflicted by the instrument by +1. The GM may spend ImageImage from any performance check using the instrument to have it become damaged one step.

Modification Options: 1 Damage +1 Mod.

Price: 650 credits.
Polysonic Sound Module

Base Modifiers: Removes up to ImageImage on checks to use the instrument in conditions that inhibit the ability of audience members to hear it (bad acoustics, sound interference, environmental conditions, etc.).

Price: 2,000 credits.
Removed Safety Features

Base Modifiers: Adds Image to the first performance check made with the instrument during an encounter. The GM may spend ImageImage or Image from any performance check with the instrument to have it overload; it blows its power cell and inflicts 4 strain on the wielder.

HP Required: None.

Price: (R)250 credits.
Streamlining

Base Modifiers: Innate Talent (Quick Draw) using the instrument.

Modification Options: 1 Decrease the difficulty of checks to conceal the instrument by one Mod.

Stripped Down

Base Modifiers: Decrease the instrument's encumbrance by 1 to a minimum of 1. Add Image to a character's Perception check to find the instrument when hidden.

Modification Options: 2 Decrease encumbrance by 1 to a minimum of 1 Mods.

HP Required: 3.

Price: 250 credits.
Superior Instrument Customization

Base Modifiers: Grants the instrument the Superior quality. A superior instrument generates automatic Image on all checks related to its use, and the strain damage it causes is increased by 1.

Price: 5,000 credits.
Tripod Mount

Base Modifiers: Reduce the instrument's Cumbersome rating by 3 when set up. May not move the instrument (except to pivot) once the tripod is set up.

Modification Options: 2 Cumbersome -1 Mods.

Price: 250 credits.
Weapon Harness (EOTE CRB)
Weapon Sling (EOTE CRB,
Wrist Mount (Dangerous Covenants)

In addition, players should feel free to come up with appropriate attachments to customize their characters' musical instruments. Upon GM approval, such attachments may be added to instruments.

Other Gear

Other gear appropriate for performers includes (but is not limited to) the following items:

Audio/Visual Translator (750 credits)
Collar-Amp (50 credits)
Communications Media Manipulator (400 credits)
Cultural Etiquette Manual (35 credits)
Data Goggles (250 credits)
Disguise Kit [makeup] (100 credits)
Earbud Comlink (75)
Expensive Jewelry (2,000 credits)
False Voice Transmitter (1,400 credits)
Hologoggles (6,000 credits)
Holographic Image Disguiser (1,100 credits)
Holo-messenger (250 credits)
HoloNet Relay (75,000 credits)
Holographic Disguise Matrix ([R] 10,000 credits)
Holoscanner (2,000–10,000 credits)
Integrated Public Address System (200 credits)
Jump Boots (2,000 credits)
Privacy Audio Curtain (500 credits)
Rocket Boots (2,500 credits)
Security Sweeper (400 credits)
Sound Dampener (600 credits)
Species Database (150 credits)
Thunderhead PES (2,500 credits)
Verpine Headband (500 credits)
Vid-Vox Scrambler (2,400 credits)

In many circumstances, gear that aids specific social skills may affect any performance skill at the GM's discretion. For instance, Expensive Jewelry adds Image to Charm and Deception checks, but it can give the same benefit to any skill used to perform. Likewise, appearance-affecting gear may be reskinned at the player's request to better fit their concept for the character. As an example, Expensive Jewelry could be reinterpreted as a stylish bandana or a daring piercing. Price and rarity remain the same.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: Gear adjustment

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 am

This is good
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Unless you take credits-for-Obligation, it means you'll be starting with basic instruments, but that fits the theme of the campaign. In other words, I wouldn't recommend taking Obligation for credits unless you can't find a way to use the bonus XP for an attribute bump.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:08 pm

No I took obligation for xp, I’ll have basic instruments, cultural etiquette manual, earbud com, padded clothing and if I can afford it a very cheap gun.

I figure he will need the disguise kit becuase he is wanted and the cultural etiquette manual becuase he grew up outside of normal space.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:41 pm

what is the collar amp?

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm

@SavageBob I see you are going with a straight cost for the instrument of 1500 (1000 used). Not complaining just wondering the reason because the book has anywhere from 500 to 1500.

On a side note have you looked at the FFG Community page for EtoE lately, https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... /?page=234 at the bottom of this page the Gran playing some kind of double harp. I may switch my character to this, used of course.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:41 pm
what is the collar amp?
It's essentially a lapel microphone with built-in amplification. Useful for performances, but not as good as a dedicated amplifier with separate microphones.
ThreeBFour wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm
@SavageBob I see you are going with a straight cost for the instrument of 1500 (1000 used). Not complaining just wondering the reason because the book has anywhere from 500 to 1500.
Yeah, the rules for the instruments give a lot of leeway on their prices, but I wanted to be consistent to avoid a situation where everyone decides to choose the kloo horn because it's cheaper than the Red Ball Jet Organ or whatever. I might be convinced to make the pro instrument cost 1,000, maybe 750 used. That way it's within reach after an adventure or two, or for some Obligation credits. Do you think that'd be more reasonable?
ThreeBFour wrote:
On a side note have you looked at the FFG Community page for EtoE lately, https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... /?page=234 at the bottom of this page the Gran playing some kind of double harp. I may switch my character to this, used of course.
As much as I love me some Max Rebo, that double-harp thing looks pretty cool. What's the source of the image?

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:18 pm
ThreeBFour wrote:
As much as I love me some Max Rebo, that double-harp thing looks pretty cool. What's the source of the image?
Don't know yet, haven't back tracked it yet, or gotten a reply to my quote.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 pm

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Valachord
Wookieepedia only has a small picture that doesn't show much, but makes me wonder if there are a single and double versions of the instrument.

Return to “House Rules”