Jedi Initiate

Ryg’gos Rat’kras; Caamasi Propagandist

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 am

Name: Ryg’gos Rat’kras
Species: Caamasi
Career: Diplomat
Specialization: Propagandist
Obligation: 10
  • B(r)and Loyalty 5: His first gig as a promoter, Ryg’gos sees this as one of those things that you need to stick with through the good times AND the bad.
  • Probation 5: After winding up in jail he has been added to the local ‘Watch List’ and is now on probation with mandatory check-ins after being released early for good behavior.
Motivation:

Desire: Fame; With the anti-alien sentiment spreading through the galaxy Ryg’gos strives to become famous to show that non-humans can do anything that a human can.
Fear: Failure; Fear of failure has often gotten in his way from submitting his work. His immense pride causing him to find flaws in his own work that could easily be overlooked by those viewing it.
Strength: Adaptive; Having to work with less than perfect equipment has caused him to find alternative uses for this lack of funding.
Flaw: Short-Fuse; Many times his temper has gotten the better of him, even landing him in jail.

Characteristics: Br 2, Ag 2, Int 2, Cun 3, Will 3, Pres 3

Derived Attributes:
  • Soak Value 3
  • Wounds 12
  • Strain 15
  • Defenses 0/0
  • Encumbrance 1/8
Skills:
Charm 3 (ImageImageImage), Deception 2 (ImageImageImage), Knowledge [Core Worlds] 1 (ImageImage), Knowledge [Lore] (ImageImage), Knowledge [Outer Rim] (ImageImage), Knowledge [Warfare] (ImageImage), Knowledge [Xenology] (ImageImage), Leadership 1 (ImageImageImage), Negotiation 1 (ImageImageImage), Perception 1 (ImageImageImage)

Racial Attribute: 1 Rank in Charm or Discipline. Took Charm

Talents:

Memnii: Caamasi often imprint significant events in their life as unfading memories called memnii. Once per game session, a Caamasi may form a new memnis that encompasses one scene or encounter. At any time, a Caamasi may perfectly recall any memnis that he has formed or witnessed, or share it with another Caamasi or a Force-sensitive character.

Grit (Rank 1): Gain +1 strain threshold

Positive Spin (Rank 2): Whenever any character’s Duty would increase, it increases by an additional 1 per rank of Positive Spin.

Improved Positive Spin: See house rules

In The Know (Rank 1): Remove Image up to ranks in In the Know from checks to get information from people or disseminate news. Minion NPCs do not realize this character’s allegiance in interviews.

Cutting Question (Active): Once per encounter, when making a Coercion skill check, the character may use Deception skill instead.

Experience Points:... 140 spent, 0 unspent

Attributes (80) + Skills (20) + Talents (40)

Credits: 100cr

Equipment:
Heavy Clothes (Soak 1)

Weapons:

Gear:
Spoiler:
Datapad
RMD-20 (adds Image to gathering footage)
Utility Belt (+1 Enc)
Comlink Handheld
Comlink Earbud
Background: Being with the group early on seemed like a stroke of luck for the new promoter trying to make it big. Everything seemed to be going well... at least in the beginning. Then the infighting started, which seemed to be spiraling further out of control as the anti-alien legislation began to build steam in Nubia. Ryg’gos tried to help ease the tension the only way he knew how, by getting them better paying gigs. Of course this was difficult with the new laws preventing bands with a majority alien presence.

In one of his attempts to get a headline gig, Ryg’gos MAY have left out some important information during one of his gig arrangements. When the band was scheduled to perform, the gig found out the true nature of the band and canceled the gig. Out of frustration Ryg’gos had an ‘altercation’ with the owner and got himself arrested. With the band already struggling to make ends meat, there wasn’t enough available funds to pay for his bail. Not wanting to cause a further rift with the band he opted to sit in jail and serve his time. It was only a few months after all, what could honestly happen in his absence?

Fresh out of jail he rushed back to the studio expecting a warm welcome. He was out after a month for good behavior so no one was expecting him to come home. But much to his surprise the band was out and on their way to a gig. Quickly grabbing his gear he rushed as quickly as he could to the address hoping to catch them in time for the performance.

Personality: Normally a calm person, his attitude has gotten the better of him when the chips were down.

Description: Image
Last edited by kanila on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: Ryg’gos Rat’kras; Caamasi Propagandist

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 am

XP spent:

Cunning 1 to 3 - 50xp
Presence 2 to 3 - 30xp
Grit - 5xp
Positive Spin - 5xp
In the Know - 5xp
Cutting Question - 5xp

Should I change Knowledge (Core Worlds) to Leadership for the free rank?

Also thinking of taking the additional Obligation for more starting credits. Need TONS of gear to pull off this character haha.

Also thinking about having an NPC for editing footage, I think it could be beneficial.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 pm

A few nuts and bolts first: Remember that we're using Genesys Motivation rules, so you'll need four separate Motivations. See here. You also get a +30 XP GM grant. Since the other PCs all just wrapped a session, let's make that +40 for you. This can't be spent on raising your attributes, though. You can also take 200 extra credits that you are allowed to spend on gear.

Positive Spin: I've ruled elsewhere that in this game, Positive Spin acts to reduce Obligation by 1 more than it would otherwise, since we're not running with Duty. As for Improved Positive Spin, maybe it can be used to prevent the Strain Threshold reduction from a triggered Obligation as your character cheers the other PC up!

To your questions: Knowledge (Core Worlds) and Leadership are both quite useful in this campaign, I think. Nobody in the band currently has Core Worlds, and as the game takes place on Nubia, it's come up quite a few times. Leadership might come into play at some point if you ever get droid holocams to boss around. :)

You probably don't need a new NPC for editing footage. I think it's covered by Education, Computers, or Deception, and our current characters and droids can cover it. I'm open to NPCs getting new abilities down the line, too, so it's possible we could give, say, BD-BD a special ability related to video editing with the right IC justification.

Finally, gear: You're welcome to take +10 Obligation for +2,500 credits if you'd like. Just remember that the theme of this game is starting from the bottom and working up, so having a ton of gear is somewhat antithetical to that vibe. What gear exactly do you think you'll need? You can get a cam droid for 800 credits, or a subminiature holocam for 300. If you really wanted to represent a character who's just getting started, you could have him film with a datapad for the time being. Standard audiovideo editing stuff is part of the startup cost for the business (back at the studio), so you'd be covered there. What else are you thinking you'll need?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm

I was going to see if I could get a Superhaul Model II Cargo Skiff for the 2,500. It normally costs 8,000cr. Justification would be that it is in the shop being repaired as it has major mechanical issues, which is why it wasn’t used to get to this gig.

But I’m fine just taking the extra xp if it makes more sense. Also would there be an issue using the Recon Remotes from Dangerous Covenant for recording? 250cr Enc 1 Rarity 3.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

good to see that someone else has positive spin, I'll probably purchase it myself next time we get xp
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm

kanila wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm
I was going to see if I could get a Superhaul Model II Cargo Skiff for the 2,500. It normally costs 8,000cr. Justification would be that it is in the shop being repaired as it has major mechanical issues, which is why it wasn’t used to get to this gig.

But I’m fine just taking the extra xp if it makes more sense. Also would there be an issue using the Recon Remotes from Dangerous Covenant for recording? 250cr Enc 1 Rarity 3.
To your struck-out point: I think a band-owned "tour bus" or some such is a goal for many members of the group. It's definitely something that would come in handy for everyone, so I'll be keeping it in mind as an adventure reward or something y'all can take on Obligation for.

The recon remotes would work. So would the RMD-20 "Eye in the Sky" from Keeping the Peace (500 credits each).

Why don't we say that the recon remotes are basically datapad cams with repulsorlift generators. Very basic, like taking a cell phone holovid. "Right tools for the job" stuff, but maybe a Image or two when you get to editing the footage to make it look good. The RMD-20 is a bit better. Maybe it gives you a boost to your roll to get footage, no setback on editing. Then the J57 cam droid is professional-grade stuff. Maybe a boost during filming, plus some free Image in the editing room?

For the recon remotes or the RMD-20, you'd need a datapad for them to send their images to, as it doesn't sound like they have "hard drives" per se. The J57 cam droids have storage space of their own.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 pm

What about the Cam Droid from Sons of Fortune? What kind of benefits would that provide? You already covered this after I reread it.

Plus with the Recon Remote, they can transmit the data up to 20km away. Could send it straight back to the studio for editing in real time. Perhaps it causes Image based on poor quality from the transmission? Have the Image increases based on distance?

If I took two of the Recon remotes would it work the same as a minion group?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Spending 40xp

Positive Spin (Rank 2) - 10xp
Improved Positive Spin - 10xp
Charm (Rank 3) - 15xp
Leadership (Rank 1) - 5xp

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Spending credits:

RMD-20 (500cr)
Heavy Clothing (50cr)
Datapad (75cr)
Utility Belt (25cr)
Comlink Handheld (25cr)

25cr leftover

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

The other PCs all started with a free earbud comlink and a 100-credit instrument. You can have the earbud comlink, too. In lieu of the 100-credit instrument, maybe your datapad is gratis? Or you can pick out something else in the 50-100-credit range.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:36 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm
The other PCs all started with a free earbud comlink and a 100-credit instrument. You can have the earbud comlink, too. In lieu of the 100-credit instrument, maybe your datapad is gratis? Or you can pick out something else in the 50-100-credit range.
I’ll drop the cost of the datapad.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm

I need to work on the background and connection. Maybe part of the group from before, maybe was outside of Nubia hunting down possible gigs? Would explain his absence. If I don’t take the extra obligation what is the starting amount? At least 5 has to be band obligation correct?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Starting Obligation is 10. At least 5 should relate to the band and its problems with Redbeam, yes. Check the timeline I posted in the OOC thread for ideas on when your character may have jumped ship. Or maybe you were part of the band but got arrested for some reason. Just got out of jail and want to rejoin. Or you were away on an extended leave for personal/family reasons when things went sour. It's pretty open. Being a former member coming back is easier to explain narratively, but we can work other options.

Or perhaps your connection is more tangential, like you approached the band during their infighting and tried to get in with them, but you were rebuffed for some reason. You somehow heard they'd be playing the club and talked your way in to meet them.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 pm

I’m leaning towards 5 Band Loyalty, 5 Legal troubles.

0 BBY Ryg’gos was arrested for promoting the band by twisting the truth about the true nature of the band in an attempt to get gigs that were for only human groups. By only mentioning Zan and not the more ‘colorful’ cast of band mates.

3 ABY He was released from prison, unaware of the breakup, he made his way to the newest gig chasing well behind the rest of the group.

It probably needs more fleshing out but it’s a start. Any thoughts or ideas?
Last edited by kanila on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 pm

It's only 2 months ABY now (not 3 ABY), so if you wanted to say you've been in jail for three years, that would mean you were arrested in 3 BBY. We haven't established how long the band's been together, but it might be safer to say you were in jail for a year or less. The anti-alien stuff really only started on Nubia a couple of months ago, so your arrest would more likely have to do with some other violation. Perhaps you were advertising the band via graffiti? Or you did some sort of guerrilla marketing stunt by storming a local holostation to promote the band on air?

Your legal Obligation could be a unique one, Parole, meaning if it triggers you are under extra scrutiny form your parole officer!

Alternatively, we could keep the "twisting the truth" angle to say you were promoting the band as not being all aliens fairly recently. Your arrest could have been fairly recent, say a month ago, but you made bail. Your Obligations could be Debt or Favor to whomever bailed you out, plus Probation? It would work the same as Parole, but your court date is still to come.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Yea that makes more sense. Went to jail before the breakup. Spent time, a month or more, in jail due to the financial situation. Now he is on parole.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:26 am

Background: Being with the group early on seemed like a stroke of luck for the new promoter trying to make it big. Everything seemed to be going well... at least in the beginning. Then the infighting started, which seemed to be spiraling further out of control as the anti-alien legislation began to build steam in Nubia. Ryg’gos tried to help ease the tension the only way he knew how, by getting them better paying gigs. Of course this was difficult with the new laws preventing bands with a majority alien presence.

In one of his attempts to get a headline gig, Ryg’gos MAY have left out some important information during one of his gig arrangements. When the band was scheduled to perform, the gig found out the true nature of the band and canceled the gig. Out of frustration Ryg’gos had an ‘altercation’ with the owner and got himself arrested. With the band already struggling to make ends meat, there wasn’t enough available funds to pay for his bail. Not wanting to cause a further rift with the band he opted to sit in jail and serve his time. It was only a month after all, what could honestly happen in his absence?

Fresh out of jail he rushed back to the studio expecting a warm welcome. But much to his surprise the band was out and on their way to a gig. Quickly grabbing his gear he rushed as quickly as he could to the address hoping to catch them in time for the performance.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am

All in all, looks pretty good! A few suggestions: First, any thoughts to background before the band? How'd you get into music? Is this guy more into promoting and business or the videography side of things? That is, are you an entrepreneur (lower-case E) or an artiste? Is this guy a former street kid or spice pusher? Or a middle-class guy who loves the music? Is he younger? Older? What was his relationship with Zannel Redbeam?

Second, sounds like he was with the band from the start, was only put in jail about a month ago. He served a one-month sentence. The sentence seems light now that I think about it, so it would make sense either that someone paid his bail and he's out on probation, or perhaps you got out early on good behavior and are out on parole. If you go with the bail angle, do you know who bailed you out (since the band couldn't afford to)? You could leave it a mystery and let me decide. That gives me lots of ideas. :twisted: :lol:

I like the angle that you rushed over to catch everyone. Maybe you were brought over by Kri, the Bimm street thief NPC. We can also go with the angle that you sweet talked the Nosaurians into letting your bring your holocam droid, but it might be a different story if you try to use it, given how much we've established that Gozer hates droids.

One final thought: A fairly well-placed promoter named Habeth Farjam sent the band on this gig. If your character is to play a similar role as her, we'll need to figure out how you fit into the picture. Do you look up to her? Want to intern with her? Resent her? Was she the one who bailed you out (and to whom you perhaps owe Obligation)?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:55 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am
All in all, looks pretty good! A few suggestions: First, any thoughts to background before the band? How'd you get into music? Is this guy more into promoting and business or the videography side of things? That is, are you an entrepreneur (lower-case E) or an artiste? Is this guy a former street kid or spice pusher? Or a middle-class guy who loves the music? Is he younger? Older? What was his relationship with Zannel Redbeam?
I was more leaning towards the videography side of it. I may be using promoter wrong here, I just couldn’t really think of a better way to put it. He is younger, not really sure about before the band, haven’t really thought about that. Maybe go with the street kid angle, though it seems like a good portion of this RP is following the same thing. Any suggestions?
SavageBob wrote:
Second, sounds like he was with the band from the start, was only put in jail about a month ago. He served a one-month sentence. The sentence seems light now that I think about it, so it would make sense either that someone paid his bail and he's out on probation, or perhaps you got out early on good behavior and are out on parole. If you go with the bail angle, do you know who bailed you out (since the band couldn't afford to)? You could leave it a mystery and let me decide. That gives me lots of ideas. :twisted: :lol:
Could increase the jail time to closer match when the legislature for the anti-alien bill went into effect? Or I would be more than willing to have a mystery person pay the bail.... but I’ll mention this again with Farjam question because that sounds intriguing as well.
SavageBob wrote:
I like the angle that you rushed over to catch everyone. Maybe you were brought over by Kri, the Bimm street thief NPC. We can also go with the angle that you sweet talked the Nosaurians into letting your bring your holocam droid, but it might be a different story if you try to use it, given how much we've established that Gozer hates droids.
It makes sense that he wouldn’t know that going in. If Kri brought him, he would send the cam droid back with her rather than risk the gig. I’m sure the Nosaurians would have thrown a stink about the droid at the entrance.
SavageBob wrote:
One final thought: A fairly well-placed promoter named Habeth Farjam sent the band on this gig. If your character is to play a similar role as her, we'll need to figure out how you fit into the picture. Do you look up to her? Want to intern with her? Resent her? Was she the one who bailed you out (and to whom you perhaps owe Obligation)?
Just going by what is already written in the character, I feel that he would look up to Farjam. He wants to show that aliens can do what humans can, and she is doing just that. So he would probably be going nuts to meet her and would feel honored if she had bailed him out and would strive to pay her back as quickly as possible.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Maybe he was just some kid paparazzi type thing trying to make some quick credits? The group thought he could be useful for both getting them good publicity and trashing the competition?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:05 am

kanila wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:55 pm
I was more leaning towards the videography side of it. I may be using promoter wrong here, I just couldn’t really think of a better way to put it. He is younger, not really sure about before the band, haven’t really thought about that. Maybe go with the street kid angle, though it seems like a good portion of this RP is following the same thing. Any suggestions?
OK, I like that. You're an artist. You probably hit it off well with Raysel, who's our costumer and makeup artist. Or perhaps you have a rivalry? We can leave background vague for now if you'd like. Zannel had an affinity for street kids, so that works as a useful go-to if it becomes important at some point.
kanila wrote:
Could increase the jail time to closer match when the legislature for the anti-alien bill went into effect? Or I would be more than willing to have a mystery person pay the bail.... but I’ll mention this again with Farjam question because that sounds intriguing as well.
It's really just a matter of flavor. Would you rather be still technically serving time (but you're out on bail and have to watch your Ps & Qs), or do you want to have your sentence commuted somewhat for good behavior (but still have to watch your Ps & Qs thanks to a probation officer). The bail thing would only matter if you decided to take 5 points of Obligation as Favor, I think. It opens up some story possibilities, but don't feel compelled to replace B(r)and Loyalty with this Obligation if you don't want to.
kanila wrote:
It makes sense that he wouldn’t know that going in. If Kri brought him, he would send the cam droid back with her rather than risk the gig. I’m sure the Nosaurians would have thrown a stink about the droid at the entrance.
I was thinking Kri might be with you and hang around. Always helpful to have another NPC to order around. :) I'll leave the camdroid's whereabouts up to you. It would certainly make for some epic footage if you could let it fly around, but it'd be a risk. If you decide to leave it behind, we'll say it's safely at the studio and you can film with your datapad.
kanila wrote:
Just going by what is already written in the character, I feel that he would look up to Farjam. He wants to show that aliens can do what humans can, and she is doing just that. So he would probably be going nuts to meet her and would feel honored if she had bailed him out and would strive to pay her back as quickly as possible.
It's an interesting angle. It might suggest a Favor Obligation, but not necessarily. If you want to keep B(r)and Loyalty, but think having this link to Farjam might be interesting, we can say she bailed you out because she thought having you on the inside would help her cause as well as yours (to promote the band). Since you're more of a videographer rather than a money guy, you actually wouldn't step on her toes too much.

Let me know what you decide about the jail term and the Obligations, and I'll review the character fully.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 am

I’ll switch parole to probation. That way I can keep B(r)and Loyalty. That way it could still make for some interesting side story type stuff.

I think a friendly rivalry with Raysel would make for an interesting dynamic. We can leave the before the band vague for now and I’ll continue to work on it.

I’ll be taking the cam droid, I’ll cross that bridge when we come to it as far as it’s use. Could be interesting if the dice are in my favor when I argue to be able to use it.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Are you all set for me to review the character, @kanila?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes it’s good for review. @SavageBob

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Review mode on! (Actionable items in bold. Everything else is just Q&A-type stuff.)

Obligations look good. For B(r)and Loyalty, if this triggers, it might mean that the band's name or IP is being challenged, but your character feels the brunt of it (and therefore suffers the Strain penalty). Other times it might mean you're being called on to use your videomaking skills to counter bad press or something. Should make for some interesting encounters!

His Fear and Flaw are very similar. How do you see these as being different? Or would it make sense to choose one of them to focus on and to give him a new Fear or Flaw that is unrelated? It sounds like he has something of a temper, for example, which is always fun. This might be a better Flaw, leaving Failure for his Fear. (Say that five times fast.)

The Memnii ability is cool. I think I'll rule that you need to declare you're using it at the beginning of a scene, but if you decide it would have been useful later, we can retroactively say you used it with a DP spend.

Note that Positive Spin has a houseruled version that is more pertinent to you (as does IPS). Other than that, stats, skills, talents, and gear look good.

Update the background to match the idea that the sentence was longer than a month, but you got out on good behavior?

The image isn't loading. Is this him? The one from Despearate Allies looks pretty cool, too, although it seems to be a female?

Return to “Character Concepts”