Spiritbw
Flyboy

Meshel Kevon, Klatooinian Roadie

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:33 am

Character Name ... Meshel Kevon
Species ... Klatooninian
Career ... Hired Gun
Specialization ... Enforcer

Obligation ... 20 Price of a Name(Zannel's wanting to take everything the band has ever done)

Desire ... Recognition. Call it fame, call it notoriety. Meshel wants to have done something with his life and for others to know it. Positive recognition would be better of course.
Fear ... Obscurity. Life on the streets is brutal, ugly and short. Meshal has seen to many die young and forgotten by all but those closest to them. Some even then not for long.
Strength ... Adaptable. You don't get anywhere on the streets without knowing how to go with the flow. When to stand tall and when to find another way.
Flaw ... Pride. Meshel is proud of what he's managed to do for the band. Part of why Zannel's betrayal hurt so much is he's denying they hand any hand in his success.

Characteristics … Brawn 3, Agility 3, Intellect 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 2.
Soak Value 3(+1), Wounds 0/13, Strain 0/13, Defenses 0/0

Skills ... Athletics(Br) 1, Coercion(Will) 1, Discipline(Will) 1,Piloting - Planetary(Ag) 1, Piloting - Space(Ag) 1, Resilience(Br) 1, Streetwise(Cun) 2, Brawl(Br) 2, Melee(Br) 1, Ranged - Light(Ag) 1, Knowledge - Underworld(Int) 1.

Talents ... None

Credits ...50+90= 140
Spoiler:
Gear ... Encumbrance ( 0/8)
Light Blaster
Brass Knuckles
Heavy Clothing
Earbud Comlink
Basic musical Instrument (synth-viol)
Stimpack x 2
Utility belt

Background ...

Meshel can barely remember a time before he was on the streets. He's sure he had parents once, but can't remember what they looked like. It was not a good way to grow up and it's taken more than a few younglings every year but Meshel persisted. It's story isn't much diffrent than most young gangsters making a living on the streets any way they can. Few ever find a chance to make it out of the life and into something better. Meshel thought he had found that chance.

It was a pretty damp night the first time he heard the band play. He normally would have been out doing his rounds on the street but had decided it'd be better to duck into the warm and kick back for a bit instead. They had a different sound, one he had never heard before but one that spoke to him. He decided to hang around after the act and asked if he could help them with their equipment.

They didn't take him up on it that night but he found out where their studio was and started hanging around asking if there were any odd jobs he could do. He kept telling himself it was just a way off the street, but he couldn't deny that the music had it's hooks in him. He'd listen in when ever he could get a chance to them playing and started picking up bits and pieces. He started humming and then singing some of the bands songs when he thought no one was around but Zannel caught him out one time. "Kid, you might have something. Why don't you sit on a set? " More than a little flustered he put on a brave face and with some patient coaching it wasn't long he was not just moving gear but providing backup vocals for the band.

It woke something in Meshel to be a part of the band like that and he started trying to learn more. He found rather than just wanting to get off the street, more than anything he wanted to make this music his. Something he had done that was new and different. He picked up a old synth-viol on the cheap in a pawn store and started laboriously learning to play, working his way through his scales in his free time. He couldn't do anything fancy, just some basic stuff when it all happened.

When Zannel went off on his own it felt like the betrayal of a big brother. It was a double betrayal when he came back and started demanding the name, record backlog and studio. It plunged the young Klatooinian into despair. It slowly changed to a sort of cold rage. Meshel vowed he'd show the galaxy Zannel Redband was not the sole master of this new music they had all been working on.

Last edited by Spiritbw on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 am, edited 7 times in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Jaster Namore, Human Roadie

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:34 am

Looks good so far. Being a human will be interesting; I was planning to have NPCs in game cry humanocentrism at Zannel leaving the band, but if you're a member, that won't work. Stick with Human if it's your best fit, but you might also consider Balosar and Tholothian (two recently published species) that would give you some extra boons at the expense of some XP flexibility.

Betrayal will work for the Obligation, but you can also interpret this through a different Obligation if it makes sense. Like A Score to Settle from the Hired Gun book might work if your character's a bit of a hothead. Just spitballing ideas here; don't take these as mandates. :)

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Not familiar with either of those races even in terms of Lore. I can take a gander and see if I can rework something here in a bit. I might look at different obligations too. Was just trying to throw things together at the time.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 pm
Not familiar with either of those races even in terms of Lore. I can take a gander and see if I can rework something here in a bit. I might look at different obligations too. Was just trying to throw things together at the time.
Balosars are the "Want some death sticks?" guys from the Prequels. Humans with little antennae on their heads, mostly associated with shady occupations and the underworld due to a long history of galactic exploitation. Free rank in Streetwise and +2 Advantages on Vigilance checks, so good for an Enforcer.

Tholothians are humans with big tendrils instead of hair. There's a Jedi Master of the species in the Prequels. Highly cosmopolitan and culturally adaptable, but now under the yoke of the Empire. Get a rank in Xenology and +1 Advantage on social checks against non-Tholothians (so great for this game!).

Again, just spitballing ideas. If you like a baseline Human, that could play into your Obligation. Like, maybe you were offered a spot in Redbeam's new band, but you refused to go with him and stayed with the non-human members of the band. In this case, "Betrayal" could mean Redbeam feels betrayed by you. :D

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Re: Meshel Kevon, Klatooinian Roadie

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Looking through my books I think I found one that works for me. Klatooinian. Didn't have to adjust the basic numbers too much as a result but you might want to check my math.
Also looking through obligations, there was one that jumped out at me. "Price of a name". The original idea is the character having used someone else rep for their credit, but turned around that is what Redbeam is doing to the band, taking all they have done together as their own.

I updated the original post to reflect the changes.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Okay, fleshed out the background a bit and went over the desire, strength, flaw, and fear. Think that is everything.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm

I’m really liking this characters backstory
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm
I’m really liking this characters backstory
Thanks. With all the professional players in the group I thought having one that was sort of the kid sibling type would be interesting. He’s trying to help any way he can but not quite up to the level of those around him, at least when it comes to music.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 am

Backstory, Motivations,s and Obligation are great. Love the street kid angle. It's nice to have some muscle in the group, as you'll be operating in some rough-and-tumble environments, at least some of the time. Just to confirm, you've decided not to take +10 Obligation for either XP or credits, right? If you did so, you'd be able to bump one of your 2s to a 3, which would make you even more versatile. Cunning would be a good choice, as the party's a bit low on it.

Gear looks good.

Can you help walk me through character creation? Looks like attributes are 80 points: Brawn 3 (30), and Willpower 3 (50). (See my note above about getting another 3 if you want. I'd recommend it, as attributes are very difficult to raise after character creation.) What did you choose as free ranks from species, Career, and Spec? And what did you buy with the +30 XP GM grant?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:28 am

80 points on attributes as you said: Brawn 3(30) and Willpower (50)
Specifies free ranks I put one in Brawl(had to be Brawl or Ranged - Heavy) and one in Piloting - Space
Four points for Hired gun went to Brawl, Athletics, Melee, Ranged - Light.
Two for Enforcer Coercion and Streetwise
50 points make up the rest which would make up the rest of the base starting XP.
Looks like I haven't used the GM XP grant yet. If I do that I can actually bump up the Cunning and not take extra obligation.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:57 am

So, Klatooinians get 100 XP, so that's 80 for attributes, leaving you 20 for everything else. If you took +10 Obligaiton, you'd have 30 XP to play with, which could be used for an attribute bump from 2 to 3. Otherwise, you can only spend the 20 extra XP on skills and Talents. If you aim to do the latter, let me know what you spend it on.

The GM grant is +30 XP on top of that, but this is "earned XP," and thus can't be used to raise attributes. That is, it can only go toward Skills and Talents.

One other note: You should list all of your Career Skills on the sheet even if you don't have points in them. That'll make character advancement easier.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 am

Bleh, me bad at math some days. Feel like an idiot.
That would be the 30 points spent already wouldn't it?
In my defense, I am currently sick.

Thinking about it, right off the top of my head I don't think this character would have other obligations. His life on the street is a lonely one and he has made the band his life.

If I was going to go with an additional obligation, I'd make it Favor. There is someone somewhere out on the street he owes for something sometime in the past. Alternative is one out of the smugglers book, Bad Reputation. He might have a criminal record but isn't currently wanted, the reputation still follows him though.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Bumping Obligation to 20 is totally up to you. Like I said, it's the only way to get one of your 2s to a 3, which is a big deal in this system, since you don't get another shot at that until you reach Dedication on your tree (a long and arduous process). Favor could work for another 10, or you could just bump your existing Obligation from 10 to 20. But if you're happy with 10 Obligation and your attribute array as is, that's fine too.

Once we get that settled, spend your remaining XP and I'll check over everything again.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 am

Let’s do it. Make what Redband did a big deal for Meshel (20 obligation). Bumped down a couple of abilities so the numbers should all balance out.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am

Good deal. So, with your free skill ranks accounted for, we get:

Attributes (110 XP): Brawn 3 (30), Cunning 3 (30), Willpower 3 (50)

Species: Brawl 1, Piloting (Space) 1
Hired Gun: Brawl 2, Athletics 1, Melee 1, Ranged (Light) 1
Enforcer: Coercion 1, Streetwise 1

Skills (30 XP): Discipline 1 (5), Piloting (Planetary) 1 (5), Resilience 1 (5), Streetwise 2 (10), and Knowledge (Underworld) 1 (5)

All checks out. You're a nice, well-rounded character who should help the team quite a lot with anything shady. You'll be out of your element in upper society, but that's good fodder for narrative and character development. You can move your character to the approved forum when you're ready.

And feel better!

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Moved and looking forward to game.

Return to “Character Concepts”