Guy'Patter'Sen Chiss Drummer (Commander Figurehead)

Character proposals for this game.
Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Guy'Patter'Sen Chiss Drummer (Commander Figurehead)

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:54 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Character Name: Guy’Patter’Sen - -Player: Boutros
Concept: Burnt Out Soldier Trying To Find Himself In The Music - - - - - Species: Chiss
Career: Commander - - - - - Specialization: Figurehead
Experience Points Starting: 140 (100 starting + 10 from obligation +30 rewarded)
Experience Points Unspent: 0 (110 characteristics 30 talents)
Credits Starting: 589 (500 Starting + 89 ROll) 53 left
Credits Remaining:  Encumbrance Capacity:  Cybernetics Capacity: 0/3
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Astrogation (Int): Grn Grn Grn___ |Athletics (Br): Grn Grn _______|Brawl: Grn Grn
Charm (Pr): Grn Grn Grn _______ |Coercion (Will): Grn Grn Grn___|Gunnery: Grn Grn
Computers (Int): Grn Grn Grn____|Cool (Pr): Yel Yel Grn________ |Lightsabre: Grn Grn
Coordination (Ag): Grn Grn______|Deception (Cun): Grn Grn Grn__|Melee: Grn Grn
Discipline (Will): Grn Grn Grn____|Leadership (Pr): Yel Yel Grn___|Ranged Heavy:Grn Grn
Mechanics (Int): Grn Grn Grn____ |Medicine (Int):Grn Grn Grn ___ |Ranged Light:Yel Grn
Negotiation (Pr): Grn Grn Grn___|Perception (Cun): Yel Grn Grn_|Core Worlds (Int):Grn Grn Grn
Piloting - Planetary (Ag): Grn Grn |Piloting - Space (Ag): Grn Grn_ |Education (Int):Grn Grn Grn
Resilience (Br): Grn Grn________ |Skulduggery (Cun): Grn Grn Grn|Warfare (Int):Grn Grn Grn
Stealth (Ag): Grn Grn___________|Streetwise (Cun): Grn Grn Grn_ |Outer Rim (Int):Grn Grn Grn
Survival (Cun): Grn Grn Grn_____ |Vigilance (Will): Yel Grn Grn___|Underworld (Int):Grn Grn Grn
5 Resolve:
10 Inspiring Rhetoric:
10 Calm Comander: can use cool for inspiring rhetoric
5 Command
Gear:
Musical INstrument: part of resources
Cultural Etiquette Book: 35
Earbud Comlink: Part of resources
Holdout Blaster: 200
Catch Vest 300
Background:

Obligation:
Disgraced (9): not many chiss recover from a failure like the one that Gaise had, loosing all his men on what should have been a patrol mission. He claims that it came out of nowhere, a great beast that did int show up on sensors and devoured his fleet, like some great whale story from the early years of chiss literature, but everyone thought he was mad, or making things up to hide something more embarrassing, but few people believe it actually happened the way he said, and many people are angry about it. The final straw was when he left his post, a desk job assigned to him to allow him to at least finish out his career with some semblance of dignity. Now that he has abandoned his duty, and in many chiss’ minds his dignity, he is a perpetual outcast, unwelcome in his own lands, and he’d be very fortunate if some of his people didn’t come looking for him.

Dutybound (9): Gaise is still, and will forever be, haunted by the events that took place the night he lost his fleet. The memory of it is horrifying but even more so is the knowledge that out of everyone in his fleet he is the one that survived instead of anyone else. He had not family, no attachments or dependents, only his crew that he loved like his own brothers and sister, or even children. They had people who wanted them to come home, they had futures, but the only future he was likely to have was the one that kept him in his place and out of embarrassing situations.
This is what haunted him, the fact that they had made sure he would live only for his life to be meaningless. It kept him up at night, waking screaming into the dark, and plagued his waking hours with images that weren't there, until one day he decided he wouldn't live the meaningless life that the Ascendency had decided for him as punishment, that he would do something that mattered and that could justify the sacrifice that others had made.
Since then he has lived with the belief that it is his duty to honour the dead by making his life worthwhile, by playing meaningful music, and since he has done so the episodes, or hauntings, have become less pronounced.

Unfinished business (2): Gaise has a deep love for Zan, not only as a fellow musician who was on the hunt for what he felt is meaningful music, but also as the person who allowed him to finally pursue his dream and fulfil his duty to his fallen comrades by creating genuine art. It is a great regret for him that there came a time when his ideas of what was meaningful and Zan's diverged, causing them to have to part ways in order to Gaise to continue in what he views as him important work, but the event really is an effect of the different lives of the two. Gaise is a sad man with an unfortunate past trying to find himself in the music, and that sadness will always play a role in his music, seeping through like a chill through a cracked window. Zan was a young man with his future ahead of him, full of hope and pep, and that sadness didn't have as much of a place in his work.
Despite this, Gaise very much wants to maintain his friendship with his former bandmate, but these pressing legal matters only make things more difficult.

Betrayal (5 group) :

Gaise was once a high-ranking officer in the CEDF, and having been naturally talented in leadership and rising to the rank rather quickly, but strangely enough he was not an ambitious man, rather one who thought it was his duty to do his best for the ascendency and to attend to his duties with the utmost diligence. If he did not care about the power of his career there were at least two things that people could say he cared about dearly, the first being the morale and welfare of the men and women under his command, and the second being music, and he would often combine the two passions by organization concerts and benefits for the families of his soldiers always trying to tweak the classical music just a bit to find the right sound but never capturing the feeling he was going for. Still, everyone would say that these parties were when he was happiest, spending time with his subbordanates, which he considered as close as friends and family, and treating them to a day of leisure and the finer things. It was probably this closeness that he engendered to his troops more than any other reason that was ultimately responsible for his departure from the Ascendency after the Incident.
One day during a normal patrol through the outskirts of Chiss space something happened to him and his fleet that scarred him and left him burnt out. None of his troops survived the incident, nor any record of what happened, and Gaise only survived due to being shoved in an airlock by one of his troops, who loyal to the end wanted to make sure he made it out of there. No one else survived what has been dubbed the Vanishing of the Ghost Fleet among the young cadets of the Ascendency and when Gaise returned home he was stripped of any formal command and expected to accept his position as a desk jockey for the rest of his career, as a means of finishing out his time with dignity.
Soon afterward, however, he caused an even greater scandal by abandoning what was to be his punishment and disappeared. He hasn't been seen since in Chiss space since that time, with many people confident that it would be for the best that he never returns. Some who are wont to gossip say he has gone to find that part of himself that he searched for in his music, or the part of himself that he lost when his soldiers died, others say it is a mixture of the two, but all who are foolish enough to talk of such things know that he has embarrassed the Ascendency greatly with his action of individualism and that as a result he will never be allowed to return. Whether or not he is allowed to continue his current actions at all, however, is a matter for those in more powerful positions to decide for the future.

It has been 5 years since Gaise left the Ascendency knowing that doing so was a choice he could not go back on, since then he has hopped around from bar scene to club, to alleyway, to street, to gutter constantly chasing the music and his luck hoping to get the chance to do something that he finds meaningful so that he could justify living to the ghosts of his fallen men and women. He joined his current band one day when their sound drew him into a pub he had stopped wasting time in long ago. They had a life about them but they just couldn't catch the beat, their percussionist had no rhythm or soul about them and didn't seem to care about the music. Gaise thought that they might be one of those that only cared about the fame and played in order to attain it. Soon, the audience started to turn against the fame seeker though, through some helpful hints from someone amongst the crowd, and a barrage of heckling began targetting the drummer specifically, saying that he was bringing the whole band down and should just leave. The frustrated player soon kicked his drums over and left the stage in a childish outburst, halting the music and causing the band to look around in shock and embarrassment, when Gaise walked towards the stage and offered to help them with the rest of their set, and he's been with them ever since.

His closest friend in the band was their lead singer Zan, who was similarly on a quest to find the perfect sound like himself. The two would stay up long into the night trading jokes about bands they’d heard in the past, about the visions they had for their groups future, and what they felt the meaning of the music was. They even bonded over their shared history with the military, although Gaise never shared all the details of his past, but he suspected that Zan knew somehow. It hit him hard when Zan left, and he felt responsible for pushing him away due to their diverging views on the music they should play, but he still loves him as a friend and listens to all his singles, even sending him post from time to time to let him know he supports him, but even still, he can’t deny to himself or anyone else how troubling Zan’s behaviour is becoming.

Desire: Create Something Beautiful (Gaise wants to create genuine and beautiful music that can justify him going on. It's not about the fame for him, the fame is just the vehicle he uses to get his music and message to as many people as he can)

Playing to someone's Desire grants two Boosts in social encounters. Working against someone's Desire grants two Setbacks instead.

Fear: Failure (He feels his music justifies his continued life and fears what it would mean if he fails)

Playing to someone's Fear grants two Boosts in social encounters. Working against someone's Fear grants two Setbacks instead.

Strength: Decisive (He is good at making quick decisions and then following through with them even though a more cautious man might have second thoughts)

Playing to someone's Strength grants one Boost in social encounters. Working against someone's Strength grants one Setback instead.

Flaw: Survivors Guilt (he feels like it should have been him that died and not his troops and now he has to live with that, living entirely to justify their sacrifice.)

Playing to someone's Flaw grants one Boost in social encounters. Working against someone's Flaw grants one Setback instead

Spoiler:
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
Untitled.jpeg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Last edited by Boutrose Saba-Norr on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am, edited 15 times in total.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: Guy'Patter'Sen Chiss Drummer (Commander Figurehead)

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:49 pm

@SavageBob this concept is done except for gear, I have no idea what to buy without the oggdude app, but I'd appreciate feedback on everything else.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I'll check your math soon. Any reason not to use 40 of those talent points to bump a stat up to 4? I know some folks prefer to start with more talents in PbP, but I'm not terribly stingy with XP, so if it were me, I'd dump most points into stats.

I also plan to post a gear cheat sheet soon, hopefully this weekend.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Ok if that’s the case I’ll up presence one more time, and can’t wait for that cheat sheet.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:06 pm

alright made the change, he is now intense on presence.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm
Ok if that’s the case I’ll up presence one more time, and can’t wait for that cheat sheet.
Top of the page "Equipment Index" is what I use without OggDude's. Great site and they cross reference to the book.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Note that I've decided to grant everyone +30 XP for Talents and Skills. That should free folks up to dump most of their starting XP into Attributes and to still get some fun stuff to play around with.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:34 pm
Note that I've decided to grant everyone +30 XP for Talents and Skills. That should free folks up to dump most of their starting XP into Attributes and to still get some fun stuff to play around with.
Oh nice, so I can get back most of my talents.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm

alright so i've finished adjusting xp, and i've purchased my gear.

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 am

Skills? I see one rank each in Leadership and Cool (Which is a Chiss bonus).

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 am

Yea so he’s only spending 5 on skills

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 am

Yes, but you get free skills from character creation: 4 from your Career, and 2 more from your Specialization.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 am

I totally forgot I got free skills from character creation, ok I’ll fix that

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 am

Alright fixed. I want to add that guy uses his disguise kit to dye his hair light blue and put powder on his skin so that he can try and pass for a different blue skinned near human race while he has his shades on.

This is primarily due to the bounty.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm

I'll check over everything soon. Just keep in mind that this is a game about trying to make it big, so trying to hide all the time may be counter-productive narratively.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:21 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm
I'll check over everything soon. Just keep in mind that this is a game about trying to make it big, so trying to hide all the time may be counter-productive narratively.
Oh yea like as a player I don’t want him to hide it’s mostly to justify his background and to show the lengths he is willing to go to play music, I’m actually assuming the bounty will turn into an amusing plot hooks at some point.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

But yea yknow I think I’ll drop the disguise kit and just have him wear shades or something like it. What’s the chance of his obligation being rolled anyway.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 am

All of the extra 30 co went into talents,
His new obligation is disgraced but I can’t edit as easily on my phone.

Disgraced (10): not many chiss recover from a failure like the one that Guy had, loosing all his men on what should have been a patrol mission. He claims that it came out of nowhere, a great beast that did int show up on sensors and devoured his fleet, like some great whale story from the early years of chiss literature, but everyone thought he was mad, or making things up to hide something more embarrassing, but few people believe it actually happened the way he said, and many people are angry about it. The final straw was when he left his post, a desk job assigned to him to allow him to at least finish out his career with some semblance of dignity. Now that he has abandoned his duty, and in many chiss’ minds his dignity, he is a perpetual outcast, unwelcome in his own lands, and he’d be very fortunate if some of his people didn’t come looking for him.

I hadn’t thought to think what actually happened that caused his fleet to be destroyed, but maybe a mutiny gone wrong, or maybe an invasion that he can’t bring himself to think about, or maybe it was really a giant space whale. It’s somthing I’d be willing to work with you on and decide what is most entertaining for the game.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:40 pm

@SavageBob ok so updated the character, put the new obligation in and added more to the backstory. honestly whatever destroyed guy's fleet I'm not too concerned about, he is just going to avoid talking about it, describing it as a great beast and have moments where he stares off into space. If we ever get into a situation where it would be interesting to have a flashback then more detail could be added then if you want more detail on it i would love to work it out with you and am open to it being fleet destroying menace that benefits the story your trying to set up for us.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Stats: Can you indicate that the Soak is 4 versus energy, 3 versus everything else? We may otherwise forget. Maybe just put an asterisk next to Soak and put a note below.

Name and Portrait: I get the reference, but I wonder if we can find something more Chissy? I don't have a problem with him being called Guy, and Star Wars is full of cheesy names ("Elan Sleazebaggano"), but it kind of pulls me out of the story for him to be given such an Earthy name. Can we mix the syllables up to sound more like a regular Chiss name? For instance, Mitth'raw'nuruodo becomes Thrawn, so maybe Pattigh'ai'itersun becomes Ghaii and then becomes Guy? We maintain the homage but hide it a bit more? The same goes for the portrait. Are you open to finding something that's less earthy? The tie is what's throwing me. Ties don't exist in Star Wars! :)

Stats: Can you indicate somewhere what your Career skills are? That'll help with character advancement down the road, plus it helps me check the character over. Looks like Calm Commander doesn't apply to Inspiring Rhetoric and instead goes with Mass Combat checks. Or am I overlooking something? I love the idea, but if we want to house rule it to apply to IR, I'll need to think over the ramifications. We should definitively find a way for that talent to be useful, though, since there won't be mass combat in the game (unless things go really weird!).

Gear: Looks good, with the caveat about the catch vest as noted above.

Obligation: Looks good. I agree, we don't need to know the particulars of the beast encounter at this point. It may very well come up, especially if his Obligation triggers and he starts to get some PTSD.

Motivations: These all look fine.

Backstory: Looks great. Very well thought out. My one remaining hangup is why he left the Ascendency. I wonder if his punishment wouldn't have been stronger than being relegated to a desk job? Like, perhaps he was going to be sent to the Ascendancy's version of a gulag? Or maybe he just felt intense shame and couldn't stand the feeling of staying home? Maybe the scorn of everyone around him was too much to bear? I'm just looking for one more line or so to indicate what it was he was fleeing. The rest is great; love the bits about how he met the band and hit it off with Zan. Between you and Jessa, there are some sympathetic folks to a potential plot nemesis, which is lots of fun to play with as a GM!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Some possible Guys:

That said, we can go with the picture of Tom Everett Scott, but we may need to photoshop out the tie somehow. 8-)

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Stats: Can you indicate that the Soak is 4 versus energy, 3 versus everything else? We may otherwise forget. Maybe just put an asterisk next to Soak and put a note below.

Name and Portrait: I get the reference, but I wonder if we can find something more Chissy? I don't have a problem with him being called Guy, and Star Wars is full of cheesy names ("Elan Sleazebaggano"), but it kind of pulls me out of the story for him to be given such an Earthy name. Can we mix the syllables up to sound more like a regular Chiss name? For instance, Mitth'raw'nuruodo becomes Thrawn, so maybe Pattigh'ai'itersun becomes Ghaii and then becomes Guy? We maintain the homage but hide it a bit more? The same goes for the portrait. Are you open to finding something that's less earthy? The tie is what's throwing me. Ties don't exist in Star Wars! :)

Stats: Can you indicate somewhere what your Career skills are? That'll help with character advancement down the road, plus it helps me check the character over. Looks like Calm Commander doesn't apply to Inspiring Rhetoric and instead goes with Mass Combat checks. Or am I overlooking something? I love the idea, but if we want to house rule it to apply to IR, I'll need to think over the ramifications. We should definitively find a way for that talent to be useful, though, since there won't be mass combat in the game (unless things go really weird!).

Gear: Looks good, with the caveat about the catch vest as noted above.

Obligation: Looks good. I agree, we don't need to know the particulars of the beast encounter at this point. It may very well come up, especially if his Obligation triggers and he starts to get some PTSD.

Motivations: These all look fine.

Backstory: Looks great. Very well thought out. My one remaining hangup is why he left the Ascendency. I wonder if his punishment wouldn't have been stronger than being relegated to a desk job? Like, perhaps he was going to be sent to the Ascendancy's version of a gulag? Or maybe he just felt intense shame and couldn't stand the feeling of staying home? Maybe the scorn of everyone around him was too much to bear? I'm just looking for one more line or so to indicate what it was he was fleeing. The rest is great; love the bits about how he met the band and hit it off with Zan. Between you and Jessa, there are some sympathetic folks to a potential plot nemesis, which is lots of fun to play with as a GM!
Hey bob, didn’t know the vest did that, might pick something else maybe?

For name and portrait, I’m fine with choosing somthing more in tune with the setting, the character has evolved beyond the joking inspiration I was taking him from

I’ll check calm commander, I’m sure we can find a way to make it useful; and yea I’ll make that note in the career skills.

As for the backstory, I feel like it is really important to his personality and character arc if the sole motivation for leaving is trying to redeem himself to himself and to justify his surviving while all his troops died. If he were leaving to escape punishment I feel like that would diminish that.

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Hey bob, didn’t know the vest did that, might pick something else maybe?
It's not a bad piece of equipment; just not as good against brawl and melee attacks. But it's up to you. There's actually the "Armor Inserts" (I think) in Cyphers and Masks that let you turn any lesser item of armor into the equivalent of Armored Clothing.
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 pm
As for the backstory, I feel like it is really important to his personality and character arc if the sole motivation for leaving is trying to redeem himself to himself and to justify his surviving while all his troops died. If he were leaving to escape punishment I feel like that would diminish that.
If it's important to you, that's fine. It just doesn't ring as true for me unless there was some sort of social shaming that compelled him, at least in part. But if you want it all to be internal shame, that's fine.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 am

@SavageBob there was social shame, and accusations from family members of the departed, but the way I’m interpreting it is that culturally he would have been expected to answer for that shame by continuing his service in the much less prestigious position that he was put into, with even those members of the ascendency who would have thought that he deserved a heavier punishment being restrained by that cultural understanding. However, him abandoning his post basically doubled down on that shame and made him an exile not able to return, and possible made certain people a lot less mollified.

And yea I do tend to prefer internal motivations rather than external ones, I feel like external motivations are too easily ignored and don’t impact my characters enough, which is why I find his decision being a journey of self discovery rather than fleeing from reprisal being more interesting. Like yea the second may give more reason to have left the ascendency but it gives no reason why he chose to play music when he did.

Currently on Dubai time

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 am

3CF1AFF0-F307-4304-83E9-8C993F76B890.png
3CF1AFF0-F307-4304-83E9-8C993F76B890.png (69.29 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
Possible picture
Name:
Turugh’aie’azanon
Abbreviated:ghaieaz or gaise (probounced geyse /g/ī/s/ )

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “Character Concepts”