Post by Vergence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 am

Name: Abskyoor Vyneer (Party Alias)
Species: Clawdite
Career: Smuggler
Specialization: Gambler

Species Creation 95XP + 10XP Obligation = 105XP Total
Brawn: 3, Agility: 2, Intellect: 2, Cunning: 3, Willpower: 2, Presence: 3
Willpower 2 (-20xp), Brawn 3 (-30xp), Presence 3 (-30xp) = -80XP Total
Free Smuggler Skills: Skullduggery (1), Deception (1), Streetwise (1), Vigilance (1)
Free Gambler Skills: Skullduggery (2), Deception (2)
Free Racial: Resilience (1) and Changeling ability
Streetwise (2) -10xp, Charm (1) -5xp, Cool (1) -5xp, Grit -5xp = -105XP Total Creation
Beyond Creation +30 XP: Deception (3), Skullduggery (3)

Obligation: High Risk: On occasion, Abskyoor is known for taking the highest stakes option in a situation to prove herself she can win against the odds.

Motivations:
Desire: Experience - Abskyoor craves the chance to explore the galaxy, experience the finer luxuries, and encounter new faces.

Fear: Esteem - Abskyoor wishes to impress their peers.

Strength: Independence - Like most Clawdites, Abskyoor has a strong inclination towards individualism and seeks to make their own decisions by taking the jobs they choose and free themselves from any already accumulated debts.

Weakness: Excitement - Abskyoor is known to frequently crave adventure, facing off against new challenges, and looking for new opportunities to explore.

Background: Going to flesh out the band synergy before delving too deep into this subject first. Notes: The passionate seventeen year old disguises herself as a mid twenties human stagecraft tech. She discovered the party's band after their major break up and has been secretly admiring their music, plotting get their sound out to the galaxy to share to a wider audience.

Concept: Promoter - Stylist - Stagecraft
The character's performance focus will be on Streetwise (promoting), Deception (stylist), and Skullduggery (stagecraft). Furthermore, perhaps the occasional celebrity may stop by and attend the band's performance providing great reviews :D
Last edited by Vergence on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Re: Clawdite Gambler

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:00 pm

I love the theme, especially the bit about impersonating other performers! Like the Hutt, do you see him or her as more of an off-stage presence during performances, prepping the band but then standing back and making sure everything goes well? I can see rolling Skulduggery for pyro from off stage, maybe. Or is the Clawdite in the band proper? I'm far from one of those who thinks the names of specs need to match the character that comes out of them, but what role do you see gambling playing for this character? Betting on band competitions?

Only a couple of things to fix mechanically: First, you get a free rank in Resilience for being a Clawdite, so go ahead and add that. Second, as a starting character, you can only start with Rank 2 in a skill. That means no Deception 3. But on the plus side, that gives you 15 more points to spend elsewhere.

There's some potential overlap with @DeepSpacer's Twi'lek character, but if he's cool sticking with a more Charm- and Presence-focused character (which Charmer is great at), that leaves the more scoundrelly stuff to you.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I'll correct my 3rd rank in deception (duh, late night) and add his racial ranks/abilities. I didn't see the character as an actual gambler beyond the personality of one (talents work but, the draw was spec skills). I set this character up for more diversity, able to be on or off stage. I wasn't sure how you wanted to mechanically handle the pyrotechnics or light shows during a performance. Whether I'd roll for skullduggery for programming rather than computers or its live attendance. If I'm able to be off stage, the promoter side will occasionally become a celebrity attending the show, providing great reviews. Example#1, a member of Max Rebo was seen at band xyz's performance dancing, holo recording of the Bith: 'I'm loving the new sound; this is the future of Core World music!'. Example#2, Aurra Sing: 'I love these guys; I'm always playing their music during my hunts'.

I gave the character a presence 3 as a backup for any other roles. I'm personally not worried about overlap and support players just building what's fun to play. While I have skullduggery, it wasn't really for scoundrelly acts, just a mention skill without anybody picking up the role of stagecraft awesomeness.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 pm

I think versatility will be this character's strong suit; it might make sense to treat him more as a member of the technical crew who controls pyrotechnics and lighting and such during the performance, freeing you up to schmooze in disguise at the same time. I'd be cool with that.

I only asked about gambling because a few of the Gambler talents add more to your take if you win at it. You could always just buy around those talents where possible, but it might make sense to just make actual in-game gambling a hobby or a side gig for this guy.

I agree that we shouldn't worry too much about overlap; after all, no one complains when there are three combat-focused characters in a standard campaign. But it is useful to have an array of skills represented, to widen the types of challenges the party can face. I think we're OK in that department at this time. At any rate, work up your background and this character should be ready for prime time.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Cool, good point about the talents. I haven't thought of a good conversion for 'Up the Ante' translating into music yet so I may become a closet 'lucky winner' for a bit. For this character the background won't be too deep. The Clawdite might have been holding a temporary background stage job when discovering the party's band and fell passionately in love with the sound. Being a secretly obsessed fan, the Clawdite does all it can to make the band famous and hold a background position to admire distantly by.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:58 am

After thinking of Scott Pilgrim vs the World, I think might build the concept similar to the character Knives fandom. Roleplay a seventeen year old Clawdite who is obsessed with the band, always geeking out, and who portrays herself as a mid-twenties human female to disguise her nerdiness.

Probably the appearance the party knows her by. Mid twenties female human stylist, promoter, & stagecraft tech.
Last edited by Vergence on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 am

Vergence wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 pm
Cool, good point about the talents. I haven't thought of a good conversion for 'Up the Ante' translating into music yet so I may become a closet 'lucky winner' for a bit. For this character the background won't be too deep. The Clawdite might have been holding a temporary background stage job when discovering the party's band and fell passionately in love with the sound. Being a secretly obsessed fan, the Clawdite does all it can to make the band famous and hold a background position to admire distantly by.
Maybe a more plausible background would be an Obligation to make this band turn a profit? Owe some credits, given the task to turn a profit with this group...or else. He's heavily invested because he HAS TO. This gives him motivations to be around, stick around, and work with the other members. We ain't that good of a group for someone to like that much, I think. ;)

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 am
Maybe a more plausible background would be an Obligation to make this band turn a profit? Owe some credits, given the task to turn a profit with this group...or else. He's heavily invested because he HAS TO. This gives him motivations to be around, stick around, and work with the other members. We ain't that good of a group for someone to like that much, I think. ;)
I understand the concern. Yet, I kind of wanted to roleplay a free-spirited kid who's passionate about the music and logic cannot dictate why she believes in the band so much. That might turn into the case due to the personality constantly taking risks but if credits were the case, Clawdites are in high demand, and payed well. My mental justification for staying with the band would go out the window. Being a fan seems more logical than hanging around a bunch of musical losers in hope of credits :P

Cross between Knives fan obsession from Scot Pilgrim and maybe the movie Almost Famous?

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:32 pm

The fan angle could work. But I get DeepSpacer's concern; why are you sticking around with these folks, especially if they've just lost their most promising performer to the big leagues? But I get the idea that fandom isn't always rational. You really believe in this group and want to see it succeed, lead singer be damned.

That said, we need to figure out an angle for why you're a co-investor in the party business resource. Being a simple fan isn't quite enough. How are you financially entangled in all this? A personal tie to one of the other band members might work. But other ideas?

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:56 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:32 pm
The fan angle could work. But I get DeepSpacer's concern; why are you sticking around with these folks, especially if they've just lost their most promising performer to the big leagues? But I get the idea that fandom isn't always rational. You really believe in this group and want to see it succeed, lead singer be damned.

That said, we need to figure out an angle for why you're a co-investor in the party business resource. Being a simple fan isn't quite enough. How are you financially entangled in all this? A personal tie to one of the other band members might work. But other ideas?
Understandable concerns. I was considering for her to not even of known the original 'star' but discovers the band after the breakup. I figured she would treat the co-investor aspect from a different perceptive as the members. The investment, from the character's perceptive, is its the price to live her dream. Rather than paying rent or buying a starship, she gets to follow her artistic passions (stagecraft, exploring the galaxy, hanging with her favorite band) thus, is living the seventeen year old dream by making a investment (a good cause).

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am

I took Deception & Skullduggery to rank 3 since those were the primary skills used to aid the party's performances. Side question, how will the Stylist role come in mechanically? X amount of successes reduce performance setbacks? Example: 4 successes on a deception check reduce 2x setbacks (2 successes = 1 setback removal) because the band just looks so amazing. Advantages = boosts, following the same formula?

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Vergence wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am
I took Deception & Skullduggery to rank 3 since those were the primary skills used to aid the party's performances. Side question, how will the Stylist role come in mechanically? X amount of successes reduce performance setbacks? Example: 4 successes on a deception check reduce 2x setbacks (2 successes = 1 setback removal) because the band just looks so amazing. Advantages = boosts, following the same formula?
So I’m really happy you asked since I’m dealing with an issue with my character, since he is a deserter from the chiss ascendency he has a bounty on him which could interfere with his doing what he wants to do more than anything in the world, which is play music. Do you think you could use your deception role while doing the styling in order to alter his Spears be just enough that he wouldn’t be immidiately recognizable as guy’patter’sen chiss deserter and can just be guy chiss drummer?

Also an interesting mechanic from a game that I play called exalted is that appearance is an atribute that is actually tracked, and the higher your rating in appearance the greater the setback on someone’s roll to influence you and to resist being influenced. If you wanted to implement that it would be really interesting.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Being a Chiss is just going to be highly recognizable. Blue skin, red eyes, rarely-seen species. A guy in my tabletop group insists on making one after another. They must just be too cool for school. I'm afraid there's no rational or reasonable way around being one. Far, far easier to convert bounty into something else.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:18 pm

That might be true, I'll try and see if i can find another obligation that will help establish him as being permabanned from chiss space while not being an inconvenience to our music.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Vergence wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am
So I’m really happy you asked since I’m dealing with an issue with my character, since he is a deserter from the chiss ascendency he has a bounty on him which could interfere with his doing what he wants to do more than anything in the world, which is play music. Do you think you could use your deception role while doing the styling in order to alter his Spears be just enough that he wouldn’t be immidiately recognizable as guy’patter’sen chiss deserter and can just be guy chiss drummer?

Also an interesting mechanic from a game that I play called exalted is that appearance is an atribute that is actually tracked, and the higher your rating in appearance the greater the setback on someone’s roll to influence you and to resist being influenced. If you wanted to implement that it would be really interesting.
I think disguises are Deception vs Perception or Vigilance pending on the situation. I also believe the new spy book goes into more detail on those subjects too. The galaxy is MASSIVE & not everybody is a xenologist expert. The Chiss to a human could be Duro/Human mix or nonfunky looking Duro, and even an awkward Pantoran, not putting a lot of thought into it. Further, there are probably not an overwhelming number of bountyhunters working for the Chiss Ascendency. Obligation is just kind of a fun game mechanic for GMs to incorporate character backgrounds :)

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 am

The gear I'm considering:

Disguise Kit [Enc 1, 100c]
Sap Gloves [Enc 1, 50c]
Earbub Comlink [Enc 0, 75c]
Mem-Stik [Enc 0, 35c]
Datapad [Enc 1, 75c]
Heavy Clothing [Enc 1, 50c]
Performer's Attire [Enc 0, 50c]
Backpack [40c]

Total: 475c out 500c

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 am

All of that gear would be useful. She's unique in that she doesn't need an instrument like the others. Is she ready for review, or do you need more time? (Take your time; just asking.)

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:28 am

SavageBob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 am
All of that gear would be useful. She's unique in that she doesn't need an instrument like the others. Is she ready for review, or do you need more time? (Take your time; just asking.)
Other than background, I think I'm ready for review. I was just waiting for the party as a whole to pick a planet of business and create a band name.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:59 am

Mechanically, everything checks out. Have you thought any more about background and gear? Why are you caught up in the Obligation to Zannel Redbeam with the others if you came on after the breakup? Were you somehow partially to blame for it? Another question is, do the members of the band know you're a Clawdite?

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:59 am
Mechanically, everything checks out. Have you thought any more about background and gear? Why are you caught up in the Obligation to Zannel Redbeam with the others if you came on after the breakup? Were you somehow partially to blame for it? Another question is, do the members of the band know you're a Clawdite?
I thought the 5 party Obligation was the starting business resource?; I didn't realize it was the previous star Obligation. I guess she could just dislike him because the band does as a 'justification' :P No, I wasn't planning on the party knowing I'm a Clawdite and I'm not sure I'll use her ability that often. I hadn't thought about her background that much. Being seventeen I figured I'd keep her childhood life simple and use it to mostly cover the present dynamics.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 am

Vergence wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 am
I thought the 5 party Obligation was the starting business resource?; I didn't realize it was the previous star Obligation. I guess she could just dislike him because the band does as a 'justification' :P No, I wasn't planning on the party knowing I'm a Clawdite and I'm not sure I'll use her ability that often. I hadn't thought about her background that much. Being seventeen I figured I'd keep her childhood life simple and use it to mostly cover the present dynamics.
Well, the Obligation to pay for the business is because there's legal trouble with the departed lead singer, so it would be good if we could tie you directly into that. It could just be that you love the band so much that you're sticking it out through thick and thin. Is that about as extensive as you want it to be? We can make you more instrumental in the breakup (or in convincing the band to stick it out without the lead singer), but not if you don't want those connections.

Background doesn't need to be much more elaborate than you're a teenager who loves the band. Totally up to you!

You will need to figure out gear.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 am

SavageBob wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 am
Well, the Obligation to pay for the business is because there's legal trouble with the departed lead singer, so it would be good if we could tie you directly into that. It could just be that you love the band so much that you're sticking it out through thick and thin. Is that about as extensive as you want it to be? We can make you more instrumental in the breakup (or in convincing the band to stick it out without the lead singer), but not if you don't want those connections.

Background doesn't need to be much more elaborate than you're a teenager who loves the band. Totally up to you!

You will need to figure out gear.
The gear is a few posts upward. The only change is the earbud comlink is now free.

Because I wasn't planning on knowing the prior 'star', I didn't consider there being a strong connection. She certainly would try everything she could to hold the band together though. That is, if problems arose in the present with the current band (past the initial star breakup).

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:59 am

Vergence wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 am
SavageBob wrote:

Because I wasn't planning on knowing the prior 'star', I didn't consider there being a strong connection. She certainly would try everything she could to hold the band together though. That is, if problems arose in the present with the current band (past the initial star breakup).
If I am assuming that we are reconstituting the band after losing the lead singer, and we have not performed since we lost him...then Vyneer could not possibly be a fan of the existing group. Maybe the want-ads is the best approach after all. Upstart musical group in need of a competent stagecraft. Being only 17, she probably needs a starter job. Or, maybe we had one lackluster cantina gig that didn't go so well and Vyneer is a sucker for a lost cause (Obligation: high risk)?

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:59 am
Vergence wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 am
SavageBob wrote:

If I am assuming that we are reconstituting the band after losing the lead singer, and we have not performed since we lost him...then Vyneer could not possibly be a fan of the existing group. Maybe the want-ads is the best approach after all. Upstart musical group in need of a competent stagecraft. Being only 17, she probably needs a starter job. Or, maybe we had one lackluster cantina gig that didn't go so well and Vyneer is a sucker for a lost cause (Obligation: high risk)?
Is that the case? The last I remember reading in the concept discussion was it had been a year since the breakup. Thus, we had a chance to develop some sort of equilibrium and had progression moving forward.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 pm

In the current lore we're creating the break up was indeed about a year back, yes. Just enough time for Zan to get a hit out. But DS may be on to something: Perhaps it's more dramatic for it to be mere days after the breakup, but Zan does have a song out, telling you all that he's been recording behind your backs secretly.

Does that give you something to work with, Vergence, to figure out how Abskyoor get involved with the band?

Return to “Character Concepts”