Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Name: Wahfamo the Hutt
Species: Hutt
Career: Diplomat
Specialization: Advocate

Species Creation 70XP + 10XP Obligation = 80XP Total
Brawn: 3, Agility: 2, Intellect: 2, Cunning: 3, Willpower: 3, Presence: 3
Agility 2 (-20xp), Cunning 3 (-30xp), Presence 3 (-30) = -80XP Total
Free Diplomat Skills: Charm (1), Deception (1), Leadership (1), Negotiation (1)
Free Advocate Skills: Deception (2), Negotiation (2)

Obligation: Open to ideas currently. Most likely will be tied to his Kajidic's challenge or teaching-a-lesson.

Motivations:
Desire: Power - Like most Hutts, Wahfamo seeks to advance his sphere of influence outwards across the galaxy. Being an ambitious and opportunistic young Hutt, Wahfamo strives to expand his prestige, contacts, knowledge, and authority.
Weakness: Status - Wahfamo fears the inability of obtaining the same respect and prestige as his Kajidic elders.
Strength: Beating the Odds - Defying the challenges set before him, Wahfamo has a knack for rising against the odds.
Weakness: Victory - the joy of triumphing over others brings the young Hutt great satisfaction.

Background: Going to flesh out the band synergy before delving too deep into this subject first.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Re: Hutt Advocate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Got a Kajidic name yet? I'm thinking of making your Hutt's Kajidic the one my character is owing money to.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:09 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Got a Kajidic name yet? I'm thinking of making your Hutt's Kajidic the one my character is owing money to.
I'm leaning towards Vosadii, on page 29 in Lords of Nal Hutta. I wanted to roleplay a kajidic which didn't deal in slavery or feel the need to roleplay a overly oppressive Hutt manager amongst PC to PC interactions. Plus, dealing in legitimate 'legal' spice trade for medical or research purposes might help with others obligation :P The 'influence pedding' or 'information sales' are also great background options for a band manager advocate to work-in.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:03 am

Mechanically, everything checks out. I'm happy to have a Hutt character along, but he will need a reason to join the other PCs without being their "boss" or "leader" just to preserve party harmony. Maybe part of his Obligation could be some sort of disgrace he's trying to live down that leads him to join up with a plucky band of musicians?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 am

Plays the gong or drums. No reason he can't play those. He does the talking for the group.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 am

SavageBob wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:03 am
Mechanically, everything checks out. I'm happy to have a Hutt character along, but he will need a reason to join the other PCs without being their "boss" or "leader" just to preserve party harmony. Maybe part of his Obligation could be some sort of disgrace he's trying to live down that leads him to join up with a plucky band of musicians?
Ah, sorry. I briefly wrote the concept in the generation guidelines discussion in the beginning but, not seemingly here. The concept is for him being an ambitious young Hutt who wanted to move up within his kajidic and either misspoke or lost a bet trying to prove his business saavy expertise. Now, the elders of kajidic are trying to teach the young-one a lesson by making him redeem myself by making band 'xyz' successful. By being forced to make band 'xyz' successful in a mocking manner (because Hutts just don't do this & would find it insulting), he is able to gain the respect of his kajidic and engage in other business dealing since 'by some miracle' succeeded in making them famous.

The concept is to just be the promoter/manager, not a band member. If that doesn't fit, I'm not attached the Hutt or roles.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 pm

No, I love the concept! My only two suggestions are that he be a member of the band himself (at least initially) and that he get along with the other PCs. Adding him to the band roster would be fairly easy; just say Charm is his performance skill and say it represents Hutt throat singing or playing the gowdah or whatever you think appropriate.

This might mean you play him against type, make him a good-natured guy who wants to prove the elders wrong. Kevin Bacon in Footloose? Or he might be more hard-nosed about it, trying to show that music is a valid way to build an empire. Someone like Jay-Z or Puff Daddy who starts out performing but quickly gets into the business side of things. I could see him potentially picking up Entrepreneur or Quartermaster in the future.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:53 pm

I think I would rather create a different concept if you prefer the manager/promoter also being in the band too. I’d prefer to create a build with more diversity for a footloose or Jayz RP interaction if this isn’t the synergy you want. Might switch up roles and allow somebody else be the manager if leadership is a worry. I was leaning more the Advocate/Pirate spec with the buttom pirate talents being used to get gigs.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Just so I understand you, what's your reservation having him perform? My worry is that without performing, you get stuck just twiddling your thumbs if we have a scene where the others are on stage doing stuff. What does he do while we're in a performance encounter? I think otherwise, the character fits the game perfectly. I know I keep referencing Atlanta, but he reminds me of Earn, the main character in that show.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah, it’s my reservation. Reading Lords of Nal Hutta, a source book entirely on Hutt culture, I tried to develop a believable concept and situation where a Hutt would attempt to become a manager of musicians. Unfournately, attempting to fit the other roles isn’t believable to myself in the Star Wars universe and there are many more ideas/concepts which imo are a better fit for what you seek.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Well, it's still otherwise a great concept. Would it make sense for him to work "behind the scenes" while the others perform? He works the crowd, whispers about how great the band is to folks, etc.? Again, I just want to make sure he has something to do in those kinds of scenes.

And I'd caution against worrying too much about fitting him into established Hutt lore. Playing against type is a big part of what PCs are all about, so having him be a true believer in the music and trying to prove his elders wrong would be very much in keeping with this sort of music-related fiction. It might also work to have him just care about the money and renown, but I'm not a fan of inter-party tension, so I'd like him to at least see the other PCs as equals rather than employees or servitors.

Chew on it and let me know what you think. TL;DR: I like the concept of a promoter, he could be an unusual Hutt, and we might just need to be creative to find things for him to do if the others are on stage.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes, plotting, business deals or influencing others behind the scenes is what I planned to do during the performances. I hadn’t seen the same media as you but irl I have good friend who manages in the music industry (LA), probably easily been friends with over 2 dozen promoters, and a fair amount of musicians/producers trying to make it in the industry. Maybe they should of all implemented more cowbell into the performances :lol:

Otherwise, I’m not attached to the concept of a Hutt or band manager. Maybe a Clawide promoter, stylist, dancer or roadie would be a better fit for this game.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Up to you! I'm willing to work with you on the Hutt, but feel free to come up with an alternate concept. Falleen might be another species swap worth looking at.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:34 am

I could see the Hutt still as a performer. 1st of all he's young and Hutts as generally forgiving of their young ones, just not other races. But also remember in EU, Durga, if I remember correctly joined the Black Sun, how is that worse than being a performer? That being said a Hutt would make an excellent Bass to compliment someone else's higher voice, or maybe something similar to a beatbox like Avi Kaplan formally of Pentaonix.

Vergence
Scoundrel

Post by Vergence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 am

If my interpretation of Hutt the species and opinion that my character concept doesn't fit with him becoming a performer is a singular perception, sorry. I personally don't wish to roleplay a band member who wants to become the group's music manager. Imo, that would lead to more internal conflict and inequity than just playing a manager/promoter. There are a lot more fun performer options for me in the Star Wars universe to play and interest me as a player :D

If any of the players like this concept and want to steal it, its yours!

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 am

And like I've said, there's possibly stuff a dedicated promoter could do during performances that would let him stay off stage, so we can still work with the concept for anyone interested.

Return to “Character Concepts”