Hello there...

New members to this board should introduce themselves by making a post here... after they read the locked, sticky topics below.
Crow
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Hello there...

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Hello, everyone. I was pointed to these boards by a poster at the FFG Community site. I have limited time to play RPGs in person, but play-by-post seems to be a great alternative. I'm fairly familiar with the FFG Star Wars games, but have only played a couple of one-shots so far. I look forward to learning more about this community and how the games work, and to contributing to collaborative stories in the Star Wars universe.

Cheers,

Crow

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Hello there...

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Wlecome. Please look around and post the discussion or ooc forum for any game you would like to join. You do not yet have the ability to private message but will when you join a game an we update your forum privlidges.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi, Crow! Nice to have you here. I'd suggest asking around in a couple of games, and don't worry too much if they've been going for a while. There's always a way to work in a new player. And playing in more than one game is a good way to make sure there's always something "new" to do when you log in each day. Hope to see you around!

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Thank you all very much for the welcomes and suggestions! I'm poking around the boards to get a feel for things and to get an idea of what the currently active games are doing.

My next step is to check out that character generator mentioned in one of the newcomer posts. I think I might have stumbled across it before and found that it doesn't work for Macs, but I'll check and make sure.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Character generator? Ogg dudes is useful but not manditory. At least not in any of the games I am aware of. I have also heard of.

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:13 pm

swrider wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm
Character generator? Ogg dudes is useful but not manditory. At least not in any of the games I am aware of. I have also heard of.
Aha, good. Because I don't think I have the right hardware (at least not without emulation, which I really don't want to bother with).

So, just to clarify--if I'm interested in a game, I can post in the currently active OOC thread of the game's topic/sub-board, right? That won't be seen as interrupting the flow of conversation and so on? I know not to try and post in an IC topic.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Ooc yes. You can't pm untill you join a game so that is your only way of inquiring. I think most of our games are open to new players. I look foward to see g you in one or more.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:12 am

Crow wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:13 pm
swrider wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm
Aha, good. Because I don't think I have the right hardware (at least not without emulation, which I really don't want to bother with).

So, just to clarify--if I'm interested in a game, I can post in the currently active OOC thread of the game's topic/sub-board, right? That won't be seen as interrupting the flow of conversation and so on? I know not to try and post in an IC topic.
In my games I prefer for my players to create their PCs using Oggdude's app, because this helps tremendously to avoid making mistakes. But it's never been mandatory, just for the record.

Oggdude's app uses .NET framework, which means that it will not run in an emulator to the best of my knowledge. IMO, that was a short-sighted design decision that he's now stuck with. If it had been me, creating an app for a gaming community, I would have used Java or Python (both of which are cross-platform friendly) to code in.

And, yes, any registered member of the board can post in any of the OOC threads, and that is the preferred/suggested method for requesting to join a game. Once you've been accepted into a game, then that game's GM (or any other player) can send a PM to one of the admins (myself or swrider) and ask that the new member have their board privileges upgraded to Player status. Assuming that one of the admins hasn't been lurking in that thread and taken action before being asked. (I don't typically lurk in games that I'm not involved in, but rider sometimes does.)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:38 am

I rarely look in games I am not involved with unless; asked to for some reason, I'm interested in joining, I am really bored and nothing is happening in my games, and recently I am checking in to see if new board members have joined games.

Most of them have joined my games though, so it was easy to tell when they joined.

Return to “New Player Introductions”