Corona virus 2019

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Corona virus 2019

Post by swrider » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:21 pm

I don't believe this is being blown out of proportion, but that being said people are starting to freak out. My wife and I went to the grocery store and it was crazzy. Fortunately we had planned on sucking up or be house so went ahead and got enough groceries to last us awhile.

I wanted to encourage everyone to think ahead not just about the virus but about how people around then are going to react to fear. Please stay safe.

Also in the Google unlikely and impossible case that the virus evolves to be transmitted electronically. This site will remain open. Because what's the point of things go that far.

Seriously though, everyone stay safe.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Corona virus 2019

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 am

Appreciated!!!

Schools being shut down state-wide for two weeks is a big issue here (and other places, I am sure). I don't know how (many) parents will work through this (Yeah, parents using schools as daycare centers to feed their kids is a bugaboo of mine, but I digress). No school, no church, no sports. I think MEN started taking it MUCH MORE seriously when the college basketball tournament was cancelled along with nearly all sports. Going to be some tight times ahead and hopefully things will subside a bit within the next few weeks.

Take care, everyone!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 am

It's going to get a LOT worse before it subsides. What happened on Wall Street this week is only a taste of what's to come. A recession is almost foregone; what I'm truly concerned about is a major crash. If people stop going out to stores and restaurants and whatever due to fear then the economy will implode. And with it will be job losses on a massive scale.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Yeah, I concur. MAJOR job losses beyond those unable to house children AND work at the same time. No major spread in Virginia, yet. Doesn't help (businesses) that oil prices went down to about $32/barrel. I heard that US companies spend $42/barrel to get it out of the ground. Hence, they won't start major pumping or hiring again until it goes back up. I encouraged the wife to look for babysitting opportunities nearby. LOTS of people with children home for two weeks, or more. I dread what its like in Seattle. I keep seeing a (young, healthy) guy I know in Seattle making snarky remarks on Facebook, as if he is SO smart and ain't gonna get it, and how people should sell stuff and take trips now while its cheap. I hope for his sake, he doesn't get it.

Meanwhile, my best friend is one of those high-risk guys (age 60, health issues). So far, Virginia Beach is relatively free from covid-19. But, yes, its spread is inevitable as people w/o symptoms carry it everywhere.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Maryland has been fairly chill, so far, I haven't seen a lot of panic in my area.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm age 60 ... and I live in Florida. Disney has shut down in Orlando, and several cruise ships have shut down at Port Canaveral (which is about a mile away from my apartment).

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Stay safe, shado.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:34 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:03 pm
I'm age 60 ... and I live in Florida. Disney has shut down in Orlando, and several cruise ships have shut down at Port Canaveral (which is about a mile away from my apartment).
yikes... and your job requires interactions with the public frequently also. Stay safe.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:11 pm

I just finish spending a week a Disney with my daughter. Yesterday they were out cleaning lamp posts at Hollywood Studios in the Galaxy's Edge and I noticed Thursday, even before they announced closing the Orlando parks on Monday, they had addition sanitation stations scattered around Epcot.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 pm

The follwoing in a post I made on a different forum. I thought the comments were interesting enought to share here.
swriderr, post: 1725512, member: 50609 wrote:
I have some expeirence in the field from previous employment. I agree that most things are being blow out of proportion. I will also agree that the panic of the public is much worse than the disease itself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the total death related to panic from the disease is higher than from the actual disease.

That being said there is one feature of the disease which is particularly troubling.

This is troubling because it means that people who have the disease may not realize it and will spread it to others. Additionally, when epidimiologist attempt to track the spread their efforts will the thwarted because people dont realize they had the disease. Not being able to track the spread regressivly makes it difficult to understand the spread and limit further spread.

The lethality rate of the coronovirus is 4-5% if we can not control the spread because it is difficult to track it could lead to a global loss of 4-5% of the population. Thus it would be the equivilent of the spanish flue. Actually worse because that was only 5% of the population of europe.

That is why the precautions being taken to close down events, limit, travel, and limit public interaction are prudent. Even if they are inconvienet they are necessary as virulogist and health officals are effectively playing battleship wiht a new disease. We should all be grateful that the disease has such a low mortality rating. Ebola runs 50-80% depending on the strain. If that disease spread like the corona virus does it would be horrific.

All that being said, take standard precautions like the OP mentioned in their post. Keeping up good hygiene is the best thing you can do.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 am

The idiots who've been comparing the lethality of COVID-19 to the flu are so clueless as to be frikking dangerous. This coronavirus has a mortality rate of 2-3%, while seasonal flu is ~0.1%. Worse still are the idiots who think that COVID-19 can be treated with flu vaccine. This is what happens when you have people who are clueless, poorly educated, and willfully ignorant making important decisions that affect the lives of others.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:51 am

There difference is total death are similar. Flu is much wide spread. Of course that is only true if the Corona virus doesn't spread more.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 pm

But also If it spreads too quickly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. Then people die of other things Because they can't get the care they need.

I've got two family members with weak immune system. So we have to deal with this crap all the time, people not caring about else they get sick.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:36 am

crazybirdman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 pm
But also If it spreads too quickly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. Then people die of other things Because they can't get the care they need.

I've got two family members with weak immune system. So we have to deal with this crap all the time, people not caring about else they get sick.
Darn good point I hadn't really thought about. People get stupid when they panic and they for medical facilities.

Stay safe and healthy, especially for your family.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Hey I just added a post on FFG Community as an add for the site. They are looking for places to play during the quarantine. I told them to contact @Swrider.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... -outbreak/

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 am

Lol. I'll have to check in. I haven't looked in over there in about a year.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 am

FFG still "sends" people to the old Tapacrap site, as I every now and then get notifications that someone's joined the (defunct) group. Pity that none of them ever seem to make it over here.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 am

I have respected a few from the old site, but we have it played all over that that sure is defunct. Of course we have gone through two or three urls since then.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:53 am

I put in the link for this one, so hopefully.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:21 pm

How is everyone holding up? Life is hectic for me been working long days since I still head to work, my wife was already a sissy at home mom who feelt trapped in the house... Of course they good shut down the park.

How are you all dating?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Very similar here. I'm an introvert who gets to work from home now, so that part is the bees knees. Wife is a stay at home extrovert who has crazy cabin fever. Trying to check in on friends and relatives, and keep people's spirits up best we can.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Life at home with more time to game? Just fine. Wife and I have our things we like to do. Get out once a day, We try to. I still work about 70% of my standard workload, so not totally free.

Started a new Pathfinder campaign by Hangouts with our 2x/month tabletop group. We had been 2 by Duo, two at table. Now it is all via internet. We finally got the last hold-out to give it a try. May actually get in a game Sunday night (Whoa! Twice in ONE week!!!).

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:36 pm

$1200 stimulus check got direct-deposited today. Woohoo!

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Oh nice!

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:25 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:36 pm
$1200 stimulus check got direct-deposited today. Woohoo!
I'll be darned. I thought they would be imaginary checks.

Return to “Cantina”